Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The 00 movie wrecks everything. I can't even watch Season 1 one anymore.

Well, I can watch the scenes with Patrick, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If he's already seen that stuff, just finish it off. I enjoyed both s2 and the movie, though the fights in the movie aren't good because the ELS can only really be fought with beamspam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Season 2 of 00 is pretty disappointing because it goes very generic and shits on several characters who were previously interesting(Allelujah, why...). It's not unwatchable and it has some great fight scenes. It's merely mediocre, not simply terrible like Destiny or AGE.

The 00 movie is honestly one of the worst, dumbest things I've ever watched. It pisses two seasons of character development out the window in order to have much of the cast act really weird(Setsuna is even more antisocial than he was at the beginning of season 1 to the point where he comes off as a total loving shithead despite having spent two full seasons learning how to interact with people) and has an unbelievably stupid plot. I could forgive it if it was at least visually interesting to compensate, but it's also a tremendous waste of beautiful HD animation because all of the fight scenes consist almost entirely of shooting waves of beams at a wall of bland gray CGI needles to cause generic circle explosions. Don't waste your time with it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you don't mind 00's action style then there is nothing wrong with the animation. In fact it is pretty much the best treatment they'll ever give to it. People say the plot is dumb but there's nothing really bad in it that isn't just Gundam being Gundam, and the movie is already one of the most original things Gundam will ever do.

But honestly the best part of the 00 movie is that it tries very hard to pretend S2 never happened. I'd say skip S2 and infer what happened there from the movie, since at least the movie is short and pretty while S2 is neither.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

"Assault on Memento-Mori" and "Rebirth" are worth watching though if you do skip s2.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks everybody, we finished 00 S1 and started the second season, but my brother thought it was dumb like 2 episodes in. (He wasnt too fond of Lockon's twin brother, Lockon)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now's the best time to start into Turn A, then!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I got about 13 episodes into 00 and found it pretty decent, considering, but you guys have busted my desire to finish the series down to approximately zero.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TheBigTwo posted:

Thanks everybody, we finished 00 S1 and started the second season, but my brother thought it was dumb like 2 episodes in. (He wasnt too fond of Lockon's twin brother, Lockon)

I showed 00 to my friend and he hated Lockon 2 that he refused to refer to him as Lockon, instead just calling him Dylandy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bimmi posted:

I got about 13 episodes into 00 and found it pretty decent, considering, but you guys have busted my desire to finish the series down to approximately zero.

Just watch it and decide for yourself if it was worth the time. Season 2 is entertaining, and the complaints make its problems out to be much bigger than they actually are, to me. It's not like you were considering watching AGE or SEED Destiny, where there are massive, obvious problems throughout the series.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Nah, life's too short to watch bad animes. Plus, I can easily picture the more ridiculous/irritating elements of S1 going full-blown toxic under the wrong circumstances.

I watched a little Destiny some years back and honestly didn't mind it too much, but hoo boy am I ever not gonna attempt that show knowing what I know now.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
They managed to turn a decent, interesting character with real motivations into a mask wearing weirdo who likes to be called Mr Bushido.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hi, I'm Lockon Stratos, the twin brother of Lockon Stratos" will forever remain one of the absolute dumbest things Gundam has ever done to me, no matter how much they try to justify it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

"Hi, I'm Lockon Stratos, the twin brother of Lockon Stratos" will forever remain one of the absolute dumbest things Gundam has ever done to me, no matter how much they try to justify it.
They stole that twist from GoLion.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I loving hate that every time I read it, watch it or even think it.

Just make Saji a loving main pilot already! Give Setsuna some upgraded Exia, make Saji the goddamned protagonist and have Allelujah get brain damage in the third episode that prevents him from saying the word Marie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd have preferred Saji stay out of the cockpit altogether to be honest. He worked better as a civilian eye view of events transpiring in the show. If they had to hook him up with Celestial Being I'd have preferred that he help Ian in the mechanical bay and be the one to find out how to increase the efficiency of the twin drives so that they can operate properly and just scrap the Raiser altogether. It ruined the look of the 00 even viewed from the front since it made the shoulders way too thick and looked even worse from the back with the cockpit just kind of hanging there awkwardly. I don't mind the Lockon twins thing personally since the show at least took some effort to differentiate them in multiple ways even if they looked the same, but yea, I'd have preferred Lasse, Soma or even Feldt replace him instead frankly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, I think Saji getting into the cockpit pretty much messed up his Season 1 story arc (then again almost everyone had their story arc hosed with).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I actually love the 00 Raiser – it's this generation's Ex-S Gundam in terms of being an absurdly overloaded, ridiculously OTT yet strangely elegant parts-beast, and I do not want to taint that love by watching it shoot *rainbows of understanding* out of its rear end for half the season or whatever the gently caress it is that happens.

Actually, I like what I saw of 00 well enough that I probably will watch the rest someday, but y'all have got me expecting the absolute worst.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 15, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What did Saji even do besides press a button in the cockpit? Most of the time he was just a tag-along, unless that button seriously needed an extra cockpit to work.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Honestly the first half of S2 is the worst part because it's so aimless and meandering. The show definitely picks up when Sergei meets up with his old war buddy PANG HERCULES and the animation budget kicks in. Still a lot of squandered potential trying to appeal to people who wanted a more (SEED) Gundamy show compared to S1 though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

What did Saji even do besides press a button in the cockpit? Most of the time he was just a tag-along, unless that button seriously needed an extra cockpit to work.

He shouted at Louise a couple of time I guess. Which isn't worth much considering that she ignored him until the finale as far as I can vaguely remember.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 14, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Tae posted:

I think it's implied that he was doing stuff to help regulate the twin drive especially when they're about to use attacks that need a lot of GN particles like the Raiser Sword. Not implied very well though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

I think it's implied that he was doing stuff to help regulate the twin drive especially when they're about to use attacks that need a lot of GN particles like the Raiser Sword. Not implied very well though.

Especially since he gets replaced by a Haro.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Eej posted:

Honestly the first half of S2 is the worst part because it's so aimless and meandering.
Setsuna going around getting the band back together like Elwood Blues was my favorite part of the second season.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bimmi posted:

Actually, I like what I saw of 00 well enough that I probably will watch the rest someday, but y'all have got me expecting the absolute worst.

That's what I meant. S2 has problems, but they're not as terrible as people make them seem. Like Lockon's twin, for example. Yea, he's a twin with the same codename and Gundam, but he at least spends the entire season trying to make the rest of Celestial Being stop treating him like his dead brother.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Yea, he's a twin with the same codename and Gundam, but he at least spends the entire season trying to make the rest of Celestial Being stop treating him like his dead brother.

That's part of what makes it worse though. The dude has no real plot beyond "I'm not my brother!" He's saved from being the most useless member of Celestial Being only by Allelujah finishing his plot in two episodes and spending the reason to the season saying "Marie" over and over again. The Anew Returner thing is the closest he gets and that's basically forced into 10 minutes of screentime and a bare minimum amount of impact. There's absolutely no reason for the character to exist except they wanted to keep selling Lockon Stratos merch after he was dead. Even his thing with Ali is just an extension of "I'm not my brother" but why do we care about Lockon's brother in any way except they decided to recruit his identical twin brother because the plot said so.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 14, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Schubalts posted:

Yea, he's a twin with the same codename and Gundam, but he at least spends the entire season trying to make the rest of Celestial Being stop treating him like his dead brother.

Who also asks what his brother's catchphrase was and immediately stole it for himself.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Schubalts posted:

That's what I meant. S2 has problems, but they're not as terrible as people make them seem. Like Lockon's twin, for example. Yea, he's a twin with the same codename and Gundam, but he at least spends the entire season trying to make the rest of Celestial Being stop treating him like his dead brother.

It would help if he wasnt basically his brother.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVRYQNrgzc

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

ImpAtom posted:

The One Year War was an atrocity on a level which is often lowballed just because it's kind of mind boggling to consider what it is. Several billion people died in a single week of fighting. More people died in the OYW than currently are alive on the planet. It killed most of humanity and the aftereffects continued on for years and almost ended with Char dropping a giant rock on Earth and everyone needing to be saved by space magic. All of this happened within such a timeframe that most of the adults around in Unicorn were teenagers when it started. All but the youngest people in the story literally grew up in the wake of history's greatest atrocity.
I've said this before, but someone on the old GOUF calculated that the early OYW had the second-highest bodycount in all of Gundam at the time (the prologue to Gundam X was first).

(Also, I think it gets downplayed because the Japanese fanbase are massive Zeon apologists, and "murdered most of humanity" doesn't go well with that).

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait wait.

This is a thing that happens in SEED? :psyduck:
Technically speaking, it happens before the series begins, there was a timeline on the old GundamOfficial site that detailed the whole runup to SEED (there was also some sort of super-flu that may or may not have been released by Coordinators or created by them or something).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

Technically speaking, it happens before the series begins, there was a timeline on the old GundamOfficial site that detailed the whole runup to SEED (there was also some sort of super-flu that may or may not have been released by Coordinators or created by them or something).

There was a Type-S Influenza which occurred pre-Coordinators and has massive casualties. Post-Coordinator there wasa Type-S2 Influenza which also had massive casualties but which PLANT eventually came up with a cure for. Because Coordinators were immune to it (because part of the Coordination thing is 'immune to most/all illnesses"), it was claimed they created it as well. It gets brought up like two times in the series and never as a meaningful plot point. It's not actually clarified in any material if they actually did create it.

The "tons of people dying on Earth" thing is seriously downplayed in SEED though, yeah. It exists and it is brought up but nobody ever treats it as big as a thing it should. There's a scene in SEED where a bunch of Earth Alliance guys are like "okay, we've got a NJC, why don't we start mass producing it to fix our power problems" and Azrael somehow or another convinces them to mass produce it for nuclear missiles instead because that solution wouldn't be evil enough.

Basically the only official SEED material I recall covering it was actually X Astray, where Prayer's goal was to get to Earth and deliver the Neutron Jammer Canceler to Earth in order to help alleviate the power problems because it was a source of widespread horror. There's a lot of SEED background material which gets mentioned like one time in an offhand comment by various characters but really should have a major significant impact on the setting.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Who also asks what his brother's catchphrase was and immediately stole it for himself.

He didn't just steal it, he abused the poor thing. Lockon 1 said "Targeted and firing!" a handful of times, just enough to be a catchphrase, but his brother would do it pretty much any chance he had. "Hey Lockon, shoot that GN-X!" "Targeted and firing!" "Hey Lockon, we need you to go on patrol!" "Targeted and firing" "Hey buddy, you want fries with that?" "TARGETED AND FIRING!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

U.T. Raptor posted:

(Also, I think it gets downplayed because the Japanese fanbase are massive Zeon apologists, and "murdered most of humanity" doesn't go well with that).

The irony in it being the Japanese that are such Zeon apologists cracks me up to this day. Though it's pure fiction this time around, they're still really bad about ignoring atrocities in an armed conflict.:downs:

Oh well. 00 Season 2 just made me sad, SEED pushed me away before SEED Destiny could ever affect me, and AGE was so bad I just had to see what the stupid payoff would be. All that said, 0083 to this day makes me angry with how sloppy the whole thing concludes. Don't get me wrong, it's friggin gorgeous, but the story gets bogged down by Nina Purpleton that the whole show to me ended in a wet fart. The nod to the Titans at the end was nice though, I guess.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Can you guys imagine if Gundam was really big in Germany or something how awful the nerds there would be

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
0083 is really something given how unlikable the leads are, how little sense the story makes and the astonishing lengths to which it goes to glamorize and exonerate literal space nazis. Never have been able to stomach it, even in a "fast forward through anything that isn't a mobile suit battle" sense. The first non-Tomino Gundam and the first to hint that something was going very sour with the franchise, which is no coincidence as far as I'm concerned.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

0083 is really something given how unlikable the leads are, how little sense the story makes and the astonishing lengths to which it goes to glamorize and exonerate literal space nazis. Never have been able to stomach it, even in a "fast forward through anything that isn't a mobile suit battle" sense. The first non-Tomino Gundam and the first to hint that something was going very sour with the franchise, which is no coincidence as far as I'm concerned.

I think war in the pocket came before 0083.

But nothing is worse for the zeon glorification than igloo. I really, really hate that series, because it makes the federation seem like alliance level evil and the zeon's are almost completely noble and sympathetic. It ends with a drat near patriotic image of a giant zeon flag in the background.

I don't understand why people seem to like that series.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 15, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bimmi posted:

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket was the first non-Tomino Gundam, and it was fantastic. :colbert:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

I think war in the pocket came before 0083.

Okay, I'm not getting enough sleep or something. It did of course. And here I was thinking how much better overall it is than 0083. It's a shame that they followed it up with what amounted to full-on militaristic apologia.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The mobile suit battles in 0083 were pretty rocking though. The animation in the first battle of episode 1 is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Okay, I'm not getting enough sleep or something. It did of course. And here I was thinking how much better overall it is than 0083. It's a shame that they followed it up with what amounted to full-on militaristic apologia.

Gotta agree with you there. It completely nailed the dynamic of having both sides be filled with relatable sympathetic people. But the zeon were also bad because they were going to nuke a colony to stop the gundam.

gently caress that last scene where Burnie goes "I'm likely going to die, but don't hate the feddies and say hi to Chris" gets me misty eyed every time.

• Locked thread