Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope her real last name is Fisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've heard Jemma plenty, but I don't think I've heard them say Leo.

(They probably said it a bunch of times this episode and I just didn't notice.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They all call each other by their last names normally, but Skye didn't start out with them, and even her hacker boyfriend calls her Skye, so I am guessing it's a first name.

What's her last name then? Let's take options

Skye Fall
Skye Mall
Skye Walker
Skye Rocketsinflight (Afternoon Delight!)

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Gotta go old school for this one-

Sally Skye
Sarah Skye
Sylvia Skye

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I really loved the line, "I have no time for your bad girl shenanigans, I like rules!"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It's nice to see the show getting on a bit of a roll. We had some atypical character development for the techie characters and Ward got humanized a bit more.

As far as those files on Skye it's pretty heavily implied SHIELD had a hand in their deaths. Now how far they take it might be interesting. Will they write Coulson or Mae as the agent(s) who did the deed? The file said a woman SHIELD agent took Skye to the orphanage so there is a bigger opening there for that but it could have been a team thing given their history. Or it could be another SHIELD agent to push at the secret agendas subplot.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Maybe it could've been an elderly Peggy Carter? Or her daughter? (I assume Sharon will be the granddaughter when she's inevitably introduced).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I read it more as SHIELD found her mother/parents dead and took her to the orphanage.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Aphrodite posted:

I read it more as SHIELD found her mother/parents dead and took her to the orphanage.

That could be possible as well. But for some reason it just doesn't seem as sinister as Coulson not telling her the full truth seems to imply.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Trast posted:

That could be possible as well. But for some reason it just doesn't seem as sinister as Coulson not telling her the full truth seems to imply.

Coulson didn't tell her who the SHIELD agent was or why they took her to an orphanage. Then he asked May for help finding out the truth and we saw the picture of the dead woman.

So it looks like there's a possibility SHIELD killed her parents or her parents were SHIELD agents and killed by someone else. But we're really starting to see Coulson start to question everything and is now suspicious of everyone who isn't on his team.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Rarity posted:

I'm really starting to enjoy this show. All the characters were clicking this week and there was a whole bunch of nice little moments like May's eyerolls and Simmons's flirting. I thought the name dropping of Barton and Romanov also really worked cause it acted as a favourable comparison of the team so we can see them as being near that top level.

So when Coulson was telling Skye about the file I thought it was going to turn out that May was her mum. The later scene seemed to go away from that but it could potentially be the case, right?

Couldn't been worse, when May and Coulson were talking about what he really found, I had this horrible idea that they might make her Coulson's daughter, which would have been horrible.

Teek posted:

Episode was worth it for the x-ray wall gag with Ward. Thought Fitz ran a good line between competent and lost. Sometimes shows tend to run way too far with the "they're incompetent and should never have gone!" thing. They gave him a lot of nice heady moments though to show he could mostly handle himself.

They also didn't go overboard on the other side of the cliche' spectrum and have Fitz's bumbling incompetance turn out to be clearly superior in all situations to Ward's training and experience, which was equally as nice.

Wolvorine fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 14, 2013

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Coulson didn't tell her who the SHIELD agent was or why they took her to an orphanage. Then he asked May for help finding out the truth and we saw the picture of the dead woman.

So it looks like there's a possibility SHIELD killed her parents or her parents were SHIELD agents and killed by someone else. But we're really starting to see Coulson start to question everything and is now suspicious of everyone who isn't on his team.

The thought that first came to mind was that May was looking at her own file, and that she's a LMD, but then that actually would open up another can of worms.

Skye's real name, Kate Bishop.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Remember, not everyone watches the same network as you. I'm in Australia and didn't get any previews at the end of the episode. People buying it from Hulu and similar might be in the same boat.
I can confirm that Hulu does not get previews.

... Done.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Skye's real name, Kate Bishop.

That would be sort of awesome, although I can't see Skye being proficient with a bow.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 14, 2013

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I was realy hoping the Thor connection would be The Jotun beast running around Greenwich It'd be such a silly fun episode :(.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The best worst name.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Skye Maul

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Can I just say that the error in the thread title never fails to get a giggle out of me. I can't help but imagine Simmons standing in the middle of a really nice office next to a small chest with a bullet hole in it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Show's very, very slowly getting better, but it still feels too much like a show from the late 90's/early 2000s like (Team) Knight Rider or Adventure Inc. Not a good thing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

The Spartacus shows took awhile to get going too. After the last few episodes I'm giving the show a whole season of viewing.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I was pretty sure I was gonna stop watching this until this episode. It was rad as hell. Good deal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It just occurred to me that this show won't really feel like an official part of MCU until Stan Lee has a cameo appearance.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It just occurred to me that this show won't really feel like an official part of MCU until Stan Lee has a cameo appearance.

It would be kind of cool if, when we find out skye's history and any action/drama/villainy involved is over with, Skye sets out to find any living relatives and meets her grandfather or a great uncle or something (played by Stan).

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Error 404 posted:

It would be kind of cool if, when we find out skye's history and any action/drama/villainy involved is over with, Skye sets out to find any living relatives and meets her grandfather or a great uncle or something (played by Stan).

Or if Stan Lee was the primary villain. As himself.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

"That's right, Coulson, I'm going to take credit for the NightNight Gun and there's nothing you can do about it."
"But that was our invention!"
"That's what Jack Kirby said too! HAHAHAHAHA!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the Lego Marvel game, Stan Lee is a Super Skrull.

(Not literally, I mean he has the same gimmick of a bunch of people's powers.)

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
I really love the show, and I'm aware that it's "a show" and not the real world, but I still find the bumbling incompetence of Fitz and Simmons to be incomprehensible given the things they're being called upon to do.

Ward and Fitz walk into a scary, dangerous, foreign bar. Ward is trying to establish a contact. Fitz waltzes up to the bar and INTERRUPTS Ward and asks to see a list of BEERS. That's stupid beyond words. And, yeah, the prosciutto sandwich was also stupid when being tracked. He did okay in a pinch, but... drat. It's like he has a level of maturity and situational awareness that, much as Star Trek's warp speed and distances being traveled operate on the speed of plot rather than internal show consistency, seems to be "whatever the script needs them be."

I find that really annoying and juvenile.

Likewise, Skye is really annoying me.

Sigh.

But I love the show anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Effingham posted:

But I love the show anyway.

Welcome to Marvel's Agents of STOCKHOLM SYNDROME.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He had a cameo on Heroes back when it was good, they can get him for this show, at least for a "funny" stinger.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Im still really enjoying the show. Sure some of the stuff is kinda dumb (Fitz, theres a time and place for everything, just not now damnit) but the show itself doesn't take itself to seriously so I'm still enjoying it.

Season finale: Skye's parents invented/discovered/tried to take over the world with whatever is currently keeping Caulson alive.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Really enjoyed this episode. I used to not give a drat about Simmons, but these last two episodes have started to make her my favorite character. Also, it's nice to see May show why she's called The Cavalry. That was a pretty clever and brutal use of jet-wash. As for references, I just noticed on re-watch that when the team first gets to the Hub, one of the directional signs points to the HAMMER Division.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 14, 2013

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Evil Sagan posted:

"That's right, Coulson, I'm going to take credit for the NightNight Gun and there's nothing you can do about it."

Hah! In Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, I think its either Todd MacFarlane or Frank Miller who says "They did it to Kirby, they'll do it to anyone".

You know, they could totally have a Dark Avengers plotline, just minus Osbourn. You could have Jobber, low budget versions of Thor, Iron Man etc running around that the team has to take down.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Hah! In Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, I think its either Todd MacFarlane or Frank Miller who says "They did it to Kirby, they'll do it to anyone".

You know, they could totally have a Dark Avengers plotline, just minus Osbourn. You could have Jobber, low budget versions of Thor, Iron Man etc running around that the team has to take down.

Pretty sure that's a MacFarlane quote, which is extra ironic since he and the rest of the Image guys pulled the same stunt once they jumped ship (TM personally screwed Neil Gaiman of all people that way with characters from Spawn).

Speaking of Avengers plot lines, I'm wondering if the mind wipe stuff from Secret Avengers will show up here or in Cap 2. From what we've seen, they're definitely not shying away from the darker side of shield.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So the show is getting terrible ratings, right? Terrible enough to be cancelled soon enough, yeah?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

redshirt posted:

So the show is getting terrible ratings, right? Terrible enough to be cancelled soon enough, yeah?

No.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

redshirt posted:

Not terrible ( and the show already has a season 2 order ), but this week was worrisome as it dropped again after it was thought to have leveled off. Just updated the 2nd post with the numbers.

9/24/13 - Ep. 1 - "Pilot"
Ratings (Live+1 Day DVR): 12.12m (#5) / 4.7 in 18-49 - (#1). The highest rated drama debut in 4 years. (don't mention that four years ago it was the pilot for V)

10/01/13 - Ep. 2 - "0-8-4"
Ratings (Live+1 Day DVR): 8.66m (#6) / 3.26 in 18-49 - (#3).

10/08/13 - Ep. 3 - "The Asset"
Ratings (Live+1 Day DVR): 7.87m (#5) / 2.9 in 18-49 - (#2). Though this is another (smaller) drop, the 18-49 rating still more than doubles what the show in the same slot held last year, so it's a gain for ABC -- hence the recent season 2 order.

10/15/13 - Ep. 4 - "Eye Spy"
Ratings (Live+1 Day DVR): 7.85m (#5) / 2.8 in 18-49 - (#3). Looks like the numbers have leveled out, and can be expected to hold somewhere around here, though it will be interesting to see where the +3 numbers go.

10/22/13 - Ep. 5 - "Girl in the Flower Dress"
Ratings (Live+1 Day DVR): 7.39m (#5) / 2.7 in 18-49 - (#3).

11/05/13 - Ep. 6 - "FZZT"
Ratings (Live+1 Day DVR): 7.03m (#5) / 2.5 in 18-49 - (#3).

11/12/13 - Ep. 7 - "The Hub"
Ratings (Live+1 Day DVR): 6.63m (#6) / 2.2 in 18-49 - (#4).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Palooka posted:

Not terrible ( and the show already has a season 2 order )

It doesn't have a season 2 order, it has a back 9 for this season. I expect they'll keep it around for marketing synergy if it doesn't completely crater, but it's not renewed for next season yet.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

I'd like to imagine he web-slings off the set after that.

ashpanash posted:

It doesn't have a season 2 order, it has a back 9 for this season. I expect they'll keep it around for marketing synergy if it doesn't completely crater, but it's not renewed for next season yet.

Can someone remind me when shows typically start getting renewed? Though really I'm not worried about it, just curious about when we might hear about it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Sometimes you won't know until May Upfronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'd have to wonder what the ratings would be if it wasn't sharing a timeslot with the most popular show in the world.

• Locked thread