Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm curious about what Lions fans are looking at for the draft at this point. In my (still young) experience, I would think priorities would go LBs/Secondary, OLine (we're doing well this year but traditionally this has been...poor), WR depth, RB, DLine. About accurate?

After LB and secondary I agree that Detroit can probably go BPA. They're not lacking terribly in any position in my eyes, but there are spots opening up soon that should be shored up before they become a problem (replacement for when Raiola retires, another WR2 to sacrifice, etc.). I don't know who they'd pick in round 1 but another D-lineman wouldn't surprise me; Mayhew loves his linemen and a big strength of Detroit's defense is how often they rotate guys in and out of that line to keep them fresh.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grozz Nuy posted:

Proooobably Marquise Lee? I haven't watched a ton of college this year but it's my impression that there's not really a Deandre Hopkins-level hands of steel guy this year. This WR class seems to be all about jump ball guys with ridiculous catch ranges instead.

But Carolina won't be in range to draft Lee unless they lose out, pretty much.

Jarvis Landry from LSU is a very similar guy to Hopkins. Same build, same strengths. Not super fast, but he runs good routes and catches most anything you throw to him. Also does a pretty good job of blocking down field on running plays. It's very likely that he will be around in the 2nd or 3rd round and he could end up being a really good pickup for a team that needs a number 2 receiver.

He did this last year, which was one of the best catches of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtPL6XxEsw

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

After LB and secondary I agree that Detroit can probably go BPA. They're not lacking terribly in any position in my eyes, but there are spots opening up soon that should be shored up before they become a problem (replacement for when Raiola retires, another WR2 to sacrifice, etc.). I don't know who they'd pick in round 1 but another D-lineman wouldn't surprise me; Mayhew loves his linemen and a big strength of Detroit's defense is how often they rotate guys in and out of that line to keep them fresh.

Glad I'm mostly on target from the past few years of casual watching :) Picking up d-line talent seems to be one of our things so that wouldn't surprise me either, but I think another versatile LB or a solid corner, if available, would be awesome to pick up. Grabbing Bush after what happened with Best ( :( ) was a great pickup and it looks like Joique Bell can be solid as well. It's so weird being optimistic about the Lions since I didn't start watching football until the year before Sanders retired.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

NippleFloss posted:

Jarvis Landry from LSU is a very similar guy to Hopkins. Same build, same strengths. Not super fast, but he runs good routes and catches most anything you throw to him. Also does a pretty good job of blocking down field on running plays. It's very likely that he will be around in the 2nd or 3rd round and he could end up being a really good pickup for a team that needs a number 2 receiver.

He did this last year, which was one of the best catches of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtPL6XxEsw

Juice is really great, and he's honestly due for a great circus catch every other game. Probably the best player on the offense.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
What do people think about Blake Bortles? He seems like a pretty smart QB with good pocket presence and a decent arm, but because he's not in a major conference I can't see him going until the 3rd round. Also Storm Johnson should be in the running for coolest name.

e: Maybe in a draft with less qbs he would go earlier.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are you saying that the BCS Automatic Qualifying American Athletic Conference is not major?

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
Perhaps "major" was the wrong word. Rereading the post, I'm not sure what would be the right one. I'm not a huge NCAAF watcher and I'm just wondering if he is being overlooked.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bortles already said he was going back to UCF for one more year.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
:lol: like a guy named Blake Bortles has a shot in the NFL

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Pron on VHS posted:

:lol: like a guy named Blake Bortles has a shot in the NFL

And the Knights have a TE names Tukes which sounds like "Toots" a lot of the time on TV, so you get Bortles to "Toots".

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Brannigans Law posted:

Also Storm Johnson should be in the running for coolest name.

Storm Johnson is like a boringer version of Oregon State's Storm Woods.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm all for the hippy names. Eagerly await star QB Moonbeam Supertramp.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Volkerball posted:

I'm all for the hippy names. Eagerly await star QB Moonbeam Supertramp.

Please don't post my personal information like that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brannigans Law posted:

Perhaps "major" was the wrong word. Rereading the post, I'm not sure what would be the right one. I'm not a huge NCAAF watcher and I'm just wondering if he is being overlooked.

I was joking. The AAC is terrible (although Teddy Bridgewater also plays in it).

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was joking. The AAC is terrible (although Teddy Bridgewater also plays in it).

Yeah, I was going to say something like "isn't one of the criticisms of Louisville/Bridgewater his schedule?" but I'm a college football dummy.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Bortles already said he was going back to UCF for one more year.

I can't find this anywhere. Please help me learn to Google. All I could find were articles about Bortles' girlfriend being super attractive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I saw it mentioned offhand in a Rotoworld blurb.

quote:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl likes what he sees from UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles.
Weidl singled out one "big time throw" against South Carolina, with defensive end Jadeveon Clowney in his face. "Bortles shows strong pocket presence," Weidl tweeted. "Feels press naturally and maneuvers well to buy time (and) work (through) progressions." Bortles told reporters he is returning for his final season, but that could change in January.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You're not drafting top five Houston. Jesus, take a breath and look at your drat schedule. Atlanta is a touch more likely but they'll likely grab another 2 wins as well.

Arschlochkind posted:

Raiders W L
Jaguars W
Patriots L
@ Jags L?
@ Colts L
Broncos L
@ Titans W?

...I'm just going to kick back and pretend it's 2005.

And the Bucs won this week. :colbert:

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I'm not sure how high or low Houston will be but it seems unimaginably that they would be drafting that high. After today, I'm not so sure they can't throw the rest of their games. I imagine if the season is going that badly that we end up with that high of a pick it's going to be a QB though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

I'm not sure how high or low Houston will be but it seems unimaginably that they would be drafting that high. After today, I'm not so sure they can't throw the rest of their games. I imagine if the season is going that badly that we end up with that high of a pick it's going to be a QB though.

I keep harping on/joke about Manziel, but who are we looking at? Mariota? Trading down from 3/5 to the 8/10 spot and grabbing Manziel/Boyd? The biggest question is whether or not Koobs is still around in February.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

bhsman posted:

I keep harping on/joke about Manziel, but who are we looking at? Mariota? Trading down from 3/5 to the 8/10 spot and grabbing Manziel/Boyd? The biggest question is whether or not Koobs is still around in February.

I think if Manziel declares you have to take a hard look at him because he's got a lot to work with. Mariota is another guy you have to take a long look at, and if you really tank it hard then Bridgewater has to be the guy. This will change by the time the Combine and Pro Days happen and we see what goes down in free agency but there's a few guys you can look at. There might also be some solid prospects in Bortles, Carr, and Boyd.

The staff being here at draft time is a huge question mark right now, but I think a regime change only strengthens the possibility of a new franchise guy being chosen high in the draft.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

I think if Manziel declares you have to take a hard look at him because he's got a lot to work with. Mariota is another guy you have to take a long look at, and if you really tank it hard then Bridgewater has to be the guy. This will change by the time the Combine and Pro Days happen and we see what goes down in free agency but there's a few guys you can look at. There might also be some solid prospects in Bortles, Carr, and Boyd.

The staff being here at draft time is a huge question mark right now, but I think a regime change only strengthens the possibility of a new franchise guy being chosen high in the draft.

I've honestly been so high on Manziel lately that the idea that we have a real chance at Bridgewater feels so surreal. Manziel still gets the vote from me if only because he's improved as a passer this year (70% completion, greater emphasis on passing and making progressions than just scrambling, and sliding early/going out of bounds when scrambling rather than going head-first, etc.). Add to that his incredible vision and I think he could be a really dangerous passer. Plus, the dude just fuckin' loves playing football.

His game against Alabama, helped obviously by a great game by Mike Evans, proved that he has the arm strength and can still embarrass a defense full of NFL-quality talent, and the success of guys like Brees and Wilson have proven that shorter QBs can work out. If we continue along this dream scenario and hire Sumlin as head coach then going with Manziel makes all the more sense. Maybe. :ohdear:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bhsman posted:

His game against Alabama, helped obviously by a great game by Mike Evans, proved that he has the arm strength and can still embarrass a defense full of NFL-quality talent, and the success of guys like Brees and Wilson have proven that shorter QBs can work out. If we continue along this dream scenario and hire Sumlin as head coach then going with Manziel makes all the more sense. Maybe. :ohdear:

Haha. This is peak Manziel right from the get go. Beautiful job getting into space on a dangerous run that would have him folded over backwards in the NFL. Followed up with two perfectly placed deep balls and a TD, all against Alabama's defense. That kid has better playmaking ability than Alex Smith right now. He's just too goddamn dangerous. He's gonna have to be given time to bulk up and adapt to the physical game, because he's so tiny. He's no good broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8xVIgWEBY

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

Haha. This is peak Manziel right from the get go. Beautiful job getting into space on a dangerous run that would have him folded over backwards in the NFL. Followed up with two perfectly placed deep balls and a TD, all against Alabama's defense. That kid has better playmaking ability than Alex Smith right now. He's just too goddamn dangerous. He's gonna have to be given time to bulk up and adapt to the physical game, because he's so tiny. He's no good broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8xVIgWEBY

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, being incredibly facetious, or both. :smith:

EDIT: FWIW I wouldn't have Manziel take so many designed runs a la RG3 in Washington, but moreso in the vein of Wilson, and he has the physical attributes to be successful at it.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 18, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bhsman posted:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, being incredibly facetious, or both. :smith:

He is awesome, but he's a huge gamble. I'd be very worried if the Raiders drafted him. Look at the situation he finds himself in at 5:40. It shows how good his presence is, but they're going to be scraping him off the field if that happens and it's Geno Atkins coming down the middle onto him. Pocket quarterbacks throw it away or dump it off when they feel that kind of pressure to avoid big hits. Manziel likes to dance around with it which makes him a dynamic playmaker, but the defense is just allowed to kill him if they catch him in it. Tom Brady rules won't apply to Manziel trying to stiffarm players at the line of scrimmage and fighting for yards. I feel like that's a bad strategy for success as a QB, especially a tiny one.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

He is awesome, but he's a huge gamble. I'd be very worried if the Raiders drafted him. Look at the situation he finds himself in at 5:40. It shows how good his presence is, but they're going to be scraping him off the field if that happens and it's Geno Atkins coming down the middle onto him. Pocket quarterbacks throw it away or dump it off when they feel that kind of pressure to avoid big hits. Manziel likes to dance around with it which makes him a dynamic playmaker, but the defense is just allowed to kill him if they catch him in it. Tom Brady rules won't apply to Manziel trying to stiffarm players at the line of scrimmage and fighting for yards. I feel like that's a bad strategy for success as a QB, especially a tiny one.

No major disagreement there; that entire play was incredible to watch live but I'd rather see it coached out of him at the pro level. That said, that ability to keep the eyes downfield in the face of a defender and lob away is what I'm talking about with his vision. He got lucky that one of his own came down with that pass, though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bhsman posted:

No major disagreement there; that entire play was incredible to watch live but I'd rather see it coached out of him at the pro level. That said, that ability to keep the eyes downfield in the face of a defender and lob away is what I'm talking about with his vision. He got lucky that one of his own came down with that pass, though.

He deserves some credit for putting the ball on target too. I think he can make plays in that vein in an NFL backfield. He just has to get rid of it or go down in a lot of situations where right now he'd try to make a play. And if he fucks it up while learning how to do it, it isn't a good completion percentage that's at stake.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think Manziel makes every other boom-or-bust prospect look as boring as possible. His entire college highlight reel is seemingly wacky bullshit that somehow works in spite of itself. If he can pull it off in the NFL it will be amazing, and if he can't you'll be able to see the fireball from the loving moon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Arschlochkind posted:

And the Bucs won this week. :colbert:

I now agree that Houston could get a top 5 pick, especially if they plan to keep sending Schaub out there.

sean10mm posted:

I think Manziel makes every other boom-or-bust prospect look as boring as possible. His entire college highlight reel is seemingly wacky bullshit that somehow works in spite of itself. If he can pull it off in the NFL it will be amazing, and if he can't you'll be able to see the fireball from the loving moon.

Manziel is like Tony Romo but with the personality and likeability of Ryan Leaf. Bad combo if you ask me. I don't usually care about "maturity" concerns as they seem pretty unfounded most of the time but there's nothing about Manziel's offseason or early-season heel turn that says "this guy can handle the spotlight" to me.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 18, 2013

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is there a good analysis on body size and injury prone-ness?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

Manziel is like Tony Romo but with the personality and likeability of Ryan Leaf. Bad combo if you ask me. I don't usually care about "maturity" concerns as they seem pretty unfounded most of the time but there's nothing about Manziel's offseason or early-season heel turn that says "this guy can handle the spotlight" to me.

You mean other than having the entire summer be about him, setting entirely new expectations for him as a player, and proceeding to completely shatter them? :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I now agree that Houston could get a top 5 pick, especially if they plan to keep sending Schaub out there.

Manziel's personality is really no less mature than that of any other 20-year-old. Comparing him to Ryan Leaf is just ridiculous. Do you get your opinions from ESPN hit-pieces?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Manziel's personality is really no less mature than that of any other 20-year-old. Comparing him to Ryan Leaf is just ridiculous. Do you get your opinions from ESPN hit-pieces?

You and I have differing opinions of the level of maturity of most 20-year-olds. Not every 20-year-old athlete gets caught selling his autograph and then proceeds to taunt the organization that controls his eligibility. Compared to how the NCAA treated other incidents he got off incredibly light. Though part of this may have been related to the heat the NCAA was receiving at the time of the incident around player compensation and items on their site.

I'm also referring to the arrest prior to the 2012 season that almost led to his transfer from A&M, his dismissal from the Manning camp, and his vocal displeasure with the school he attends. He's done a great job avoiding an oft-predicted sophomore slump and is crazy exciting to watch, but I won't be surprised if he's a PR disaster once he hits the NFL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gonna call bullshit on this. He's an immature moron and i can't believe anyone would turn over an NFL team to him. Just the thing he pulled at the Manning camp would be enough to take him off my board.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
A couple of attitude problems don't make Manzeil Ryan loving Leaf

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

A couple of attitude problems don't make Manzeil Ryan loving Leaf

A virtual "gently caress you" to the guys who are at the top of the profession you want to be in makes him someone i wouldn't want to invest any cash in.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Still can't believe the stupid Bucs won. They are in nightmare scenario where they win 3 or 4 late and lose a good draft slot.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
The Falcons are gonna lose out and draft Clowney, and that makes me really drat excited, as much as I can be at this point given what an absolute abomination of a poo poo season it's been.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So where are the Giants drafting now? The Carolina/Pats game isn't going to affect their standing so I'm curious if we are out of the top 10 at this point.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

mcmagic posted:

Gonna call bullshit on this. He's an immature moron and i can't believe anyone would turn over an NFL team to him. Just the thing he pulled at the Manning camp would be enough to take him off my board.
Leaf is literally a meth addict in prison for serial burglary. Manziel got too drunk the night before volunteering at a summer camp and overslept. Seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elotana posted:

Leaf is literally a meth addict in prison for serial burglary. Manziel got too drunk the night before volunteering at a summer camp and overslept. Seems legit.

Just because he's not a meth addict doesn't mean he's someone you give the keys to a billion dollar NFL franchise to. He's shown that his character is a huge question mark.

• Locked thread