Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Gothmog1065 posted:

On the back of this, what type of lens would be better for doing a photo shoot, it being kids with Santa. Basically where my wife works nobody is doing any photos with Santa, except one place where you bring your own camera and crap. She's doing one with our camera (Rebel XSi), and we still have the basic 15-45 zoom lens. Now I know people locally that use Cannon and have lenses we could acquire. I'd like the pictures to look nice (We'll be using a tripod, etc). It'll be well lit so no flashes needed. Do you think that lens would be sufficient or should I get a hold of something different?

What does 'well lit' mean? Department store well lit with overhead fluorescents? Or lit specifically for photo taking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I'm a believer now! The Sigma 30/1.4 arrived, and I just took the it to the market for test snaps. The focal length is perfect and I have so much more control over the DOF, which I still have to get used to. It does feel a bit heavy (I almost dropped it once and thanked God the neck strap held it), but I think this is going to be my standard lens now. =) Thanks for the recommendation!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

mrlego posted:

What does 'well lit' mean? Department store well lit with overhead fluorescents? Or lit specifically for photo taking?

Former. It's going to be a Rite Aid. This is a trial run of sorts, if it goes well next year we can probably get some better things set up.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
I'd go there well before the event with the current lenses you've got and take some test shots where the photos will be taken. Maybe with a fake santa and kid sitting on a chair (If that is what will be happening). This will tell you:

A: Is there enough light to work at a clean ISO with the XSi? Will a more wide open lens be necessary? This might be an occasion to use a hot-shoe flash, which will flatten the image but the exposure should be consistent enough for these kinds of shots. Flash might be better than relying on fluorescents.

B: Is there any crap in the background that will distract from the subjects? Maybe get a back drop to have a nice solid background or use a wide open lens to blur the background.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
http://www.canon-ci.co.kr/microsite/event/201311/index.jsp

Announcement coming soon. Silhouette suggests a dial on the wide side of the body, so it'll probably a 750D/T6i. :saddowns:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If it's another T/Kiss model I don't know what to say. Canon are taking the piss at this stage.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Rumor sites are all speculating that its something lovely like an SL1/Rebel with a white body. Because Koreans like white things or something.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

mrlego posted:

I'd go there well before the event with the current lenses you've got and take some test shots where the photos will be taken. Maybe with a fake santa and kid sitting on a chair (If that is what will be happening). This will tell you:

A: Is there enough light to work at a clean ISO with the XSi? Will a more wide open lens be necessary? This might be an occasion to use a hot-shoe flash, which will flatten the image but the exposure should be consistent enough for these kinds of shots. Flash might be better than relying on fluorescents.

B: Is there any crap in the background that will distract from the subjects? Maybe get a back drop to have a nice solid background or use a wide open lens to blur the background.

I'll do that. We'll be using a drop of some sort so it's not going to be a wall or branded product or anything like that.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Gothmog1065 posted:

Specifications

Weight: 2.22225 oz.
Chemistry: Li-Ion
Brand: Aftermarket
Voltage: 7.4
mAh: 780

I had to quote this part at the sheer ridiculousness of giving the batteries weight down to the 1/100000 of an ounce.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm split right now. My 60D's AF makes me want to smash it and light it on fire. I can't decide if I should look into grabbing a lightly used 7D, a new 70D or just giving up and going with a whole new system in the OMD.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm split right now. My 60D's AF makes me want to smash it and light it on fire. I can't decide if I should look into grabbing a lightly used 7D, a new 70D or just giving up and going with a whole new system in the OMD.

The 7D has a pretty excellent AF system. Not as good as the 1 series AF but better than the 60D for sure. I used the 7D for bird photography for a while and AF was not one of my complaints. Center point expansion did a good job of tracking birds in flight.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Casu Marzu posted:

The 7D prices I'm seeing these days (800ish) are really fair for a weather sealed pro body, plus it has a bigger buffer and such than the 70D. The 70D has way better video features, but if you'd rather have weather sealing then go 7D. That being said, if you're thinking of an OMD then it probably means you'd enjoy carrying a less heavy/large camera, which is a huge plus in my view. An OMD E1 is half the weight of a 60D, 16 MP AND weather sealed. I dunno if its AF is necessarily better than a 60D though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

rcman50166 posted:

I had to quote this part at the sheer ridiculousness of giving the batteries weight down to the 1/100000 of an ounce.

It's most likely auto-converted from 63 grams. Although we agree, a call to round() would probably have been in order.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

IanTheM posted:

The 7D prices I'm seeing these days (800ish) are really fair for a weather sealed pro body,
The 7D isn't weather sealed though. It's got better sealing than the models below it, but you still wouldn't want to be shooting with it in a light rain unprotected.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

InternetJunky posted:

The 7D isn't weather sealed though. It's got better sealing than the models below it, but you still wouldn't want to be shooting with it in a light rain unprotected.
I've done this plenty of times. :confused: I believe the official line is "weather resistant." Don't take it out in a hurricane, but light rain shouldn't kill it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

http://www.canon-ci.co.kr/microsite/event/201311/index.jsp

Announcement coming soon. Silhouette suggests a dial on the wide side of the body, so it'll probably a 750D/T6i. :saddowns:
Canon Japan says it's a white Kiss.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

LiquidRain posted:

I've done this plenty of times. :confused: I believe the official line is "weather resistant." Don't take it out in a hurricane, but light rain shouldn't kill it.
On the flip side, I killed my 7D doing the same. Compared to a Rebel or something the 7D has better sealing, but compared to a true weather sealed body like a 1-series the 7D falls very short. Moisture can get in everywhere.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

A frustratingly high proportion of bird shots taken with my 60D have slightly missed focus, unless the bird is large, still, and well illuminated :suicide:

I just bought it in July, so I think my wife would kill me if I told her I needed to drop more money to upgrade my camera.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I've been away from this game for about a year, so I'm not up to date on anything.
Is the 5DIII a worthy upgrade from a 5DII?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mathturbator posted:

I've been away from this game for about a year, so I'm not up to date on anything.

It's no Pentax ME Super, that's for sure.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mathturbator posted:

The 5DIII came out more than a year and a half ago :raise:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just wait for the Mk4/ Canon White Rebel :getin:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mathturbator posted:

If only there was something where you could type in things you wanna know, and it returns with information that answers your questions. Thats gonna be a million dollar idea to whomever comes up with that :toot:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
This is a logical conclusion. No one should seek information in a forum guys, there's no need when you can use a search engine! No discussion is allowed. In fact, today we should shutdown Something Awful. I've got a petit

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EPICAC posted:

A frustratingly high proportion of bird shots taken with my 60D have slightly missed focus, unless the bird is large, still, and well illuminated :suicide:
Did you take up birding after you got the body? Because any canon person could have told you that's what was going to happen.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you take up birding after you got the body? Because any canon person could have told you that's what was going to happen.

Yeah, I'd been mulling over a DSLR purchase for six months, finally pulled the trigger, and then started birding not long afterwards. Bad timing. I'm pretty happy with its performance for everything else though. Unfortunately an upgrade isn't in the cards for awhile, unless the 7D II if it's ever released, pushes down used 7D prices.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mathturbator posted:

Since nobody has actually answered your drat question:

Yes, it is a huge leap up. The AF is truly incredible, as is the low light performance and video (both out of the box, and even moreso modified with Magic Lantern).

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

My fiancee has been expressing more of an interest in photography and she has been having fun with my old 10d, but would like to get a camera of her own. She wants to spend below $200. It would be nice if we could end up with two mostly autonomous systems, but I am very willing to share gear. I currently have the following:

10d
40d
50 f/1.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
70-200 f/4 IS
SMC 35 f/3.5 on an adapter
extension tubes
couple of CF cards
a crap ton of bp-511/a batteries

I was looking at a bargain condition XTi with the IS version of the kit lens. I am not very familiar with the Rebel line, is there a better camera that I could find (quickly) for about $100 or less?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

jsmith114 posted:

My fiancee has been expressing more of an interest in photography and she has been having fun with my old 10d, but would like to get a camera of her own. She wants to spend below $200. It would be nice if we could end up with two mostly autonomous systems, but I am very willing to share gear. I currently have the following:

10d
40d
50 f/1.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
70-200 f/4 IS
SMC 35 f/3.5 on an adapter
extension tubes
couple of CF cards
a crap ton of bp-511/a batteries

I was looking at a bargain condition XTi with the IS version of the kit lens. I am not very familiar with the Rebel line, is there a better camera that I could find (quickly) for about $100 or less?

On keh.com you could get her a BGN grade 20D with battery and charger for $115 and then tack on an 18-55 IS in BGN condition as well for $53. Both would have a 6 month warranty.

The 20D is closer in age to the Rebel XT.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I was looking at that, but I think she would rather have the newer sensor of the XTi over the better build and top LCD on the 20D. Is there another advantage of a 20D over the XTi that I don't know about?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

jsmith114 posted:

I was looking at that, but I think she would rather have the newer sensor of the XTi over the better build and top LCD on the 20D. Is there another advantage of a 20D over the XTi that I don't know about?

Side by side

Edit: added 30D too

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 14, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So my friend ended up buying a used 40D from a nice old lady who only drove it on Sundays going to church, but it was just the camera itself, no optics, memory cards or stuff like that. Is the 18-55 viable at all? I haven't used mine in years (bought Sigma's 18-200mm with IS when it was released), so I can't remember how it was. Is it an okay lense for when he get more money to start getting better optics?

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Side by side

Edit: added 30D too

Thanks. I think you may be right. I had remembered the 20D as performing closer to the 10D, but it seems much closer to the 30D. She will make the final decision, but after closer inspection the Rebel doesn't seem to offer too much over the 20D.

Datasmurf posted:

Is the 18-55 viable at all? \

The 18-55 F3.5-5.6 EF-S IS is not a bad lens. I found it to be sharper than the 28-135 IS that I was using before I got one. I don't like it as much as the Tamron, but they aren't in the same price range either. I have never used one, but my understanding is that the original, non-IS version was much softer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
B&H has the shorty 40 for $99 right now 22mm for Eos M. Not entirely sure what "white box" means, but drat that's a nice deal right there.

whoops- got that from Canon Rumors- guess they aren't always right...

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 15, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's the 22mm for the EF-M...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Datasmurf posted:

So my friend ended up buying a used 40D from a nice old lady who only drove it on Sundays going to church, but it was just the camera itself, no optics, memory cards or stuff like that. Is the 18-55 viable at all? I haven't used mine in years (bought Sigma's 18-200mm with IS when it was released), so I can't remember how it was. Is it an okay lense for when he get more money to start getting better optics?
If it's got IS you're good to go.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

drat near every refurbished lens is in stock right now:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_244768

Oddly enough, they de-list some when they're out of stock rather than listing it and showing the grayed out "Add to cart" button. I've never understood that. The TS-E 24mm II is notably absent. I think they remove some during sale events.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I just got the 5DIII and holy poo poo it's great. Really looking forward to working with it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Since I bought a T4i for cheap from the refurb program I have been enjoying having a smaller camera again. I had the 6D and do miss the loss of some features, but I prefer the size/weight of this guy.

I just received a copy of the Sigma 30 1.4 today and it is a fantastic lens. I have been unable to see any front/back focus issues. Color me impressed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

If it's got IS you're good to go.

Yup, I was surprised with how good the IS kit lens is. It isn't going to blow you away but it is really nice for the price you can find them for. I think we found some for $50 or so used .. pretty good deal!