Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Donkey, I just rewatched Nightmare Before Christmas last week. I think it's becoming an annual tradition- come and join us...

Out of Africa was a lava lamp of a movie. It was absolutely gorgeous to look at, but nothing much happened. The characters were well-drawn, but they just seemed to drift around for most of the movie. The World War I setting was good, but it didn't have a lot of impact on the movie. I liked these characters a lot- Karen reminded me of Scarlett O'Hara, with taking care of a farm by herself and switching between men when convenient (though she wasn't nearly as manipulative). I also admired her for standing up for the rights of the natives on her land. In the end, though, there wasn't a lot going on in this movie. I can see why I found it boring the first time I watched it (plus it was a school assignment, which didn't help). At the same time, I can see what other people like in it. For me, it's neutral- good characters and setting, but slow and inconsequential.

Rating: 3/4

83. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang- So, I don't know. This is like - a noir, but not a noir? A parody, kind of but not really? Robert Downey Jr.? I'm confused, but I'm told I'll like it.

84. Lost Weekend- Ben Franklin from 1776 gets really drunk. Sure, why not?

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

91. The Usual Suspects- I already know who Keyser Soze is. I'm afraid that, like a later Shyamalan film, this movie is all about the big twist and falls apart once you know it.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

95. Rain Man- Tom Cruise is an rear end in a top hat who exploits gullible people for money. Also, he was in this movie. :rimshot:

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

97. Ed Wood- People go on and on about this. I've never seen an Ed Wood movie, but I don't think it matters.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
It's been a while since I've been in here! Jurgan, I actually haven't seen any of the movies on your list, but I've always wanted to see The Usual Suspects, so I'm picking that for you.

I finally saw Gladiator, and I have to say, I was slightly unimpressed? I mean, the movie was probably pretty fantastic when it came out, but so many similar movies have come out since then that it's difficult to put it into the proper context. I watched it with my husband, who had seen it before, and he was a bit let down on the rewatch as well.

Here's the list again, my friends:

1. The Godfather: Part II. I rented this from Netflix quite some time ago, but the second disc was literally snapped in half. Never finished watching it as a result.

2. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I've barely seen any Westerns. This might be a good place to start.

3. Schindler's List. I know I should really watch this one, but it always seems a bit too dark when I think about renting it and I pass it up.

4. Goodfellas. Love the first two (at least what I saw of the second one) Godfather films, but I've never gotten around to Scorsese's masterpiece.

5. 8 1/2. It makes me sick that I haven't seen any Fellini before. I feel like he'd be right up my alley, but I just haven't gotten around to watching any of his films.

6. Requiem for a Dream. I've seen every other Aronofsky film, and this one's supposed to be his best.

7. 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm woefully unversed in Kubrick, and this is supposed to be one of his bigger masterpieces, and a marvel of modern cinema. Shameful.

8. The Big Lebowski. I have fallen asleep not once, not twice, but three loving times while attempting to watch this movie. I'm not the hugest Coen Brothers fan, but I know this is supposed to be one of their best. If only I could stay awake.

9. Pan's Labyrinth. I haven't seen a single Guillermo del Toro film. I feel most ashamed about this one.

10. City of God. My husband has had the DVD forever and a day. Maybe it's time to actually watch it.

No More Shame: Alien, Die Hard, Gladiator

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Watch City of God, it is very good.

Synecdoche, NY
Normally, I am pretty lucid when I write these. I’m not now. This movie tore me to pieces. A lot of the times I watch these things and know pretty much what I’m going to do as far as a review goes, I know how much I like them or don’t. I couldn’t think about much of anything when I watched this movie. I’ve never felt this way before. I feel kind of sick and wonderful at the same time. I don’t have anything else to say. I think I need to go for a walk.
10/10

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

2. Leaving Las Vegas - Heard this is one of Cage's best non-batshit performances. I'm interested.

3. Dear Zachary - I've heard this will make me cry, that's all I know.

4. *NEW* Poolhouse Junkies *NEW* - Looks like fun.

5. Magnificent Seven - I've started it so many time and every time I have, it was a bad time (recovering from surgery, being incredibly tired...). Anyway, I really want to see it, The Great Escape is my favorite movie of all time so I'm sure I'll love it.

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. The Fly - Love me some Jeff Goldblum, not quite sure how I missed this.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Hidden Fortress - Been too long since I've had a Kurosawa on the list. Heard this one was more "fun" than serious, totally fine with that.

10. Pleasantville - I know it's in black and white and is some kind of period piece? I think? Seems like the less I know going in, the better.

80 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

You forgot to recommend a movie to me.

Sorry, thought I was meant to wait til I'd been recommended to do one!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Chili You get Leaving Las Vegas. Very dark movie and Cage is brilliant.

I have been absent from this thread for 2.5 years and I want to get back into it with an updated list.

1. 400 Blows
I have become very fond of French cinema recently but have yet to see this.

2. Slacker
The premise for this film is interesting.

3. The Uninvited
Older horror films is something I enjoy quite a bit.

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. Japanese Summer: Double Suicide
It sounds intriguing.

6. A Woman Under the Influence
Recently stumbled over this on a movie site and it caught my eye.

7. Harakiri
Just want to see more Japanese cinema!

8. Band of Outsiders
A basic French new-wave film I have never gotten around to watching.

9. Häxan
Danish horror classic.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas,

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a great way to follow up Synecdoche, New York!

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
von Braun, you get 400 Blows

The Nightmare Before Christmas was charming as hell. I was blown away by the level of detail in every character as well as Halloweentown. The songs were catchy and everything just felt like it fit. Definitely high up there on the list of animated movies I've seen. This just left me with a huge smile on my face.

1) For A Few Dollars More- might as well finish the Dollars trilogy
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Around The World in 80 Days- working on the Best Picture list
4) Who Framed Roger Rabbit- another movie from my childhood I should have seen
5) Gun Crazy- mmmm 1950s noir
6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the only Michael Mann I haven't seen
7) Stalag 17- I love all the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) The Great Dictator- more Chaplin

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

1) For A Few Dollars More- might as well finish the Dollars trilogy

That would be a good idea.

I Am Cuba - What stuck out about this film was its innovative camera angles and techniques. I can't recall a film where the camera felt so free to move around and go in any direction at any angle. Plenty of films have similar segments but they're almost continuous here.

The film is broken up into four stories relating to Cuba. The first concerns prostitutes and American men who are down visiting the country. The elite of the country are shown having pool parties and bikini contests etc. It's always interesting to see how US culture is portrayed by others. This segment ends embarrassingly for a prostitute who wanted to keep her work private from her friends.

The second segment is about a sugarcane farmer named Pedro who feverishly chops down the plants with his machete (hard work). Eventually the land owner comes by and lets him know that the land has been sold to an American corporation and he won't work there any longer. He goes into a rage and burns his house and crops to the ground.

The third story covers student revolutionaries who are tired of the current state in Cuba (many of the same complaints you can hear today in the US from the disenfranchised and poor). They burn down a theater and plot assassinations of police and others. Eventually they're discovered and most of them are killed. Enrique is given a parade as a martyr for the revolution in a memorable long sequence that's reminiscent of the opening in Touch of Evil. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFXv6bDIY8

The final section involves a family who has a barrage of bombs dropped on their house (as to who dropped them I wasn't even sure) . After his home is blasted to smithereens the father is angry so he joins the armed revolution. I think I liked the first two segments the most.

The film puts forth some explicit ideologies but I just can't find any ideology compelling these days. They all seem like flashes in the pan or short-sighted dead-ends. Even seemingly good ones fade into obsolescence, obscurity and irrelevance as time marches on. This isn't a static one-size-fits-all world and it won't ever be IMO.

I will say I find the current relations between the US and Cuba to be really peculiar. Someone recently said the only reason they're still thorny is because if US citizens were allowed to go down to Cuba then Florida tourism would be decimated. Well, that's a humorous viewpoint that may have some truth.

Side story: I knew a guy who recently passed away in his 90s and he told me how he went down to the Cuba on vacation in the 1950's around the time things were getting hot and Fidel Castro went to a nearby hotel and sprayed the outside of it with a machine gun.

Also watched:

Breakfast at Tiffany's - I didn't enjoy this one too much. The story unfolded like a soap opera with lots of fantastical shock reveals that I just didn't get into (even those that weren't predictable). Superficially, I did like the iconic dress in the opening. There's something mesmerizing about it but it doesn't carry a two hour film.

The revelation that the "Tiffany's" portion in the title was a reference to the store and not a person somehow added another layer of shallowness to the film. I just can't relate to eating a bagel and coffee at a jewelry store so this film and I weren't meant for each other. Holly (or Lula Mae) seems to have a personality disorder and surrounds herself with a freak show of friends who terrorize her apartment complex on numerous occasions.

Then you have Mickey Rooney's character who was probably a little too animated. I don't get personally offended by characterizations in film but I know some will not like Mr. Yunioshi.

The romance and seriousness take a complete backseat to the goofiness and silliness.

Procrastination (79 completed):

#77 A Few Good Men - This is on my list for some reason. 9/22/13

#78 Tales of the Moon Obscured by Rainclouds AKA Ugetsu Monogatari - Another important one. 9/25/13

#79 Pleasantville - Looks interesting but I haven't gotten to it yet. 10/1/13

#83 A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Of the twenty films in the NoES and Ft13th series this is the only one I haven't seen. Seasonal due diligence. 10/22/13

#84 Audition - Another seasonal selection. 10/30/13

new #85 Barbarella - "Everything and anything to do with Hanoi Jane should be BURNED and erased from history. She is a traitor to our country and the POW's she betrayed. She should be hanged to the point of strangulation and not neck breaking until shes dead, dead, DEAD!" -Anonymous Netflix Reviewer 11/8/13

new #86 The Thin Blue Line - A documentary about erroneousness. 11/8/13

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Something about 1980s whales. 10/12/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (28/46 completed):

2003 Monster - Based on a true story. 10/12/13

2001 Monster's Ball - Another monster movie. 10/30/13

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Zogo, I'm afraid the Nightmare on Elm Street remake is the only one on your list that I've seen, so I'm assigning it to you. I'm so sorry.

City of God. Christ, this movie is brutal. Knockout Ned is so incredibly tragic and the Runts are pretty drat terrifying. I really liked the "Flirting with Crime" segment, where Rocket keeps intending to rob people but always finds them too cool to rob.

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

2. The Wild Bunch: I've never seen a Peckinpah movie.

NEW 3. Witness for the Prosecution: I like a good courtroom drama.

4. Cool Hand Luke: I guess society has "failed to communicate" how much I should watch this movie :downsrim:

5. Paths of Glory: More Kubrick

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

9. Psycho: I watched the first half of this in a high school class and never got to finish it.

10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (42): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alfred go watch Psycho, it was the first flick I gave a full 10/10 from this thread. It's pretty wonderful.

Obviously Leaving Las Vegas is a bit of a somber affair, but it wasn’t hard to watch, which is a testament to its quality and characters. The burden of the film’s success lies squarely on the shoulders of Cage and Shue and they were both truly fantastic.

This was a simple, sad, and honest story told exquisitely.

That having been said, coulda used more Richard Lewis. I mean, what couldn’t use more Richard Lewis?

9/10

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

2. *NEW* Time Bandits *NEW* - Probably not one of the most important films to see, but it looks like a good time!

3. Dear Zachary - I've heard this will make me cry, that's all I know.

4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. Magnificent Seven - I've started it so many time and every time I have, it was a bad time (recovering from surgery, being incredibly tired...). Anyway, I really want to see it, The Great Escape is my favorite movie of all time so I'm sure I'll love it.

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. The Fly - Love me some Jeff Goldblum, not quite sure how I missed this.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Hidden Fortress - Been too long since I've had a Kurosawa on the list. Heard this one was more "fun" than serious, totally fine with that.

10. Pleasantville - I know it's in black and white and is some kind of period piece? I think? Seems like the less I know going in, the better.

82 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Chili posted:

Enjoy it and see where you can spot the parts that Lucas "borrowed" for the first part of his famous space-based trilogy (the good one).

---

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I haven't seen any of your movies except Saving Private Ryan so watch that I guess. I think it's a much worse movie than most people think it is in terms of what people think about it, but I also think it's a much better movie than the worse movie that I think it is compared to what most people think about it. If that makes sense. To put it another way, I think it's a very good movie, even though what I take to be the most obvious informed take on it is that it's not such a great movie. And no matter what you think about it, the D-Day part is peerless.

I did end up seeing this shortly after you recommended it. I just took my sweet time with my review:

For all that this film has been both raised and denigrated, Saving Private Ryan is a decent war movie that happened to come out when the available technology and the cultural climate were "just right." It walks the line between glorification and criticism, although we don't get to spend nearly enough time with our heroes (the ones that make it, at least). The infamous Normandy scene stands up today (well, about 1.5 years ago when I saw the film, at least) as a particularly effective use of special effects and sound design; it's a shame that, not even at the final confrontation, such levels of competency and excitement are never reached again.

I'm putting out a new list, as it's been a year since my last one, and my tastes and desires have changed. Here are some films from the last decade that I haven't seen

---

List of Shame

Gladiator (2000) - I had absolutely no interest in seeing this when it came out (I was a 12 year old boy, what was wrong with me?). Now, I can see the appeal. Crowe can be divisive at times, but this role seems a perfect channel for his heroic rage.

Y tu mamá también (2001) - Other than hearing "y tu mama tambien" slowly replace "your mom" as a sarcastic response among junior high students, I have no idea what this movie is about (I'm assuming it's not just about a mother). Coming of age? Road trip? I've enjoyed the few Cuarón films I've seen, so why not take a chance?

City of God (2002) - The title alone piqued my interest, and the setting is even more intriguing. Other than that, I know nothing of this supposedly modern masterpiece.

Dogville (2003) - Having seen enough von Trier to "get him," I think I'm ready for this slow, gradually troubling (supposedly) entry.

Hellboy (2004) - Let's put something fun on the list, already! Everything about this movie—Guillermo del Toro, Ron Perlman, the source material—seems up my alley. I might have to check out the sequel as well.

The New World: The Extended Cut (2005) - A friend of mine asked me to see this about 5 years ago. Maybe some lightly applied goon pressure can fix this? Regarding the film itself: the premise is obvious and I'm cautiously excited about another one of Malick's films.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Another of del Toro's that's slipped through the cracks, although I've had plenty of opportunities to see this one (I seem to recall even renting it once). I hear tell of creepy critters and wartime melancholy!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - Technically, I did see this, but here's the thing: I barely remember any of it, and it's supposedly really good. I'm pretty sure I was distracted and tired, and I possibly fell asleep during parts. Anyway, let's try approaching this again, with open eyes...

The Hurt Locker (2008) - Highly recommended; just another one I've never gotten around to. I like Bigelow; I even wrote a paper about her in college. I'm curious to see how her style has changed.

District 9 (2009) - This is the sort of thing I would just eat up just a year before it was released. However, once I found out about it, I was weary of all the hype. Now that everyone is bashing Blomkamp's latest effort (which I also haven't seen) and comparing it to this, my interest is seriously piqued for the first time.

Shame No More (28): Goodfellas / Lawrence of Arabia / The Godfather / The Godfather, Part II / The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly / The Incredibles / Casablanca / Aguirre, The Wrath of God / 12 Angry Men / A Clockwork Orange / A Fistfull of Dollars / Persona / Stalker / Rules of the Game / Fanny and Alexander / North by Northwest / Berlin Alexanderplatz (incomplete) / Raiders of the Lost Ark / Sunset Boulevard / Singin' in the Rain / Some Like It Hot / Akira / The Bridge on the River Kwai / Return of the King / City Lights / Full Metal Jacket / The Usual Suspects / Saving Private Ryan

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 9, 2013

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
thegloaming, you've got some good movies on your list so let's start with City of God

For A Few Dollars more was just fantastic Leone. It's hard to pick among his westerns as my favorite tends to be whichever one I'be seen recently. This one did not disappoint. The showdown at the end was right up there with the Good, the bad and the Ugly. It's easy to see modern action films that have been influenced by the Dollars movies, yet none do it as well. Lee van Cleef was outstanding and everything fit perfectly. Just a masterpiece.

1) Sanjuro- working on that Kurosawa

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

thegloaming, you've got some good movies on your list so let's start with City of God

City of God was quite the ride. Going in, I expected violence, but not in such magnitude and with such lack of restraint. Oddly, despite the larger-than-life portrayals of these killers and their exploits, the scenes that needed to be grave were grave without ostentation. I was also impressed by the entire ensemble cast; characters that could have been one-dimensional ended up stealing the show in places. I wonder how much of this "docufiction" is merely fiction?

---

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

1) Sanjuro- working on that Kurosawa

Keep working!

---

List of Shame

Gladiator (2000) - I had absolutely no interest in seeing this when it came out (I was a 12 year old boy, what was wrong with me?). Now, I can see the appeal. Crowe can be divisive at times, but this role seems a perfect channel for his heroic rage.

Y tu mamá también (2001) - Other than hearing "y tu mama tambien" slowly replace "your mom" as a sarcastic response among junior high students, I have no idea what this movie is about (I'm assuming it's not just about a mother). Coming of age? Road trip? I've enjoyed the few Cuarón films I've seen, so why not take a chance?

**NEW** The Cat Returns (2002) - I loved Whisper of the Heart so much to have seen it twice, and I haven't been burned by Ghibli yet.

Dogville (2003) - Having seen enough von Trier to "get him," I think I'm ready for this slow, gradually troubling (supposedly) entry.

Hellboy (2004) - Let's put something fun on the list, already! Everything about this movie—Guillermo del Toro, Ron Perlman, the source material—seems up my alley. I might have to check out the sequel as well.

The New World: The Extended Cut (2005) - A friend of mine asked me to see this about 5 years ago. Maybe some lightly applied goon pressure can fix this? Regarding the film itself: the premise is obvious and I'm cautiously excited about another one of Malick's films.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Another of del Toro's that's slipped through the cracks, although I've had plenty of opportunities to see this one (I seem to recall even renting it once). I hear tell of creepy critters and wartime melancholy!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - Technically, I did see this, but here's the thing: I barely remember any of it, and it's supposedly really good. I'm pretty sure I was distracted and tired, and I possibly fell asleep during parts. Anyway, let's try approaching this again, with open eyes...

The Hurt Locker (2008) - Highly recommended; just another one I've never gotten around to. I like Bigelow; I even wrote a paper about her in college. I'm curious to see how her style has changed.

District 9 (2009) - This is the sort of thing I would just eat up just a year before it was released. However, once I found out about it, I was weary of all the hype. Now that everyone is bashing Blomkamp's latest effort (which I also haven't seen) and comparing it to this, my interest is seriously piqued for the first time.

Shame No More (29): Goodfellas / Lawrence of Arabia / The Godfather / The Godfather, Part II / The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly / The Incredibles / Casablanca / Aguirre, The Wrath of God / 12 Angry Men / A Clockwork Orange / A Fistfull of Dollars / Persona / Stalker / Rules of the Game / Fanny and Alexander / North by Northwest / Berlin Alexanderplatz (incomplete) / Raiders of the Lost Ark / Sunset Boulevard / Singin' in the Rain / Some Like It Hot / Akira / The Bridge on the River Kwai / Return of the King / City Lights / Full Metal Jacket / The Usual Suspects / Saving Private Ryan / City of God

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
400 Blows: I have building up to watch 400 Blows for years, it was good but didn't make me fall out of my chair. Antoine and his friend doing their petty crimes reminded myself of my childhood with my friends doing similar, stupid stuff. The cinematography was good but nothing that really impressed me except the ending scenes. The characters was the best part, the colourful dad and the sadistic teacher. 4/5

thegloaming: You will watch Gladiator next.

1. The Haunted Strangler (Robert Day)
Boris Karloff's characters just seem so haunting that I can't resist.

2. Slacker

3. The Uninvited

No real excuse here.

It sounds intriguing.

7. Harakiri

8. Band of Outsiders

9. Häxan
Danish horror classic.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows,

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

von Braun, I haven't seen anything on your list. A random number generator says you get to watch Häxan.

I watched Psycho. It owns. I think it might be my favorite of the few Hitchcock films I've seen. Janet Leigh was smokin hot in this movie. Norman Bates is the proto-goon, telling the pretty woman about his loving taxidermy hobby :lol:. One thing I enjoyed about both Psycho and North by Northwest is the opening credit sequences. Movies don't really have cool opening credits anymore outside of Bond movies.

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

3. Witness for the Prosecution: I like a good courtroom drama.

4. Cool Hand Luke: I guess society has "failed to communicate" how much I should watch this movie :downsrim:

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

NEW 9. Singin in the Rain: I've heard that this is THE musical.

10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (43): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

NEW 9. Singin in the Rain: I've heard that this is THE musical.
I think this is the only musical I own... so I picked this one for you.

City Lights was not my favorite Chaplin. It seemed that in this film the plot served the jokes rather than films like The Kid and The Great Dictator where the jokes serve the plot. That being said the boxing sequence may have been on the of the greatest choreographed scenes in cinema history and I loved the ending. (8/10)

I also realized I never watched Spartacus that was assigned to me a long time ago. You can read my full review in the " Rate the Latest Movie..." thread, but I loved it. (9.5/10)

From the IMDB Top 250: Gravity (2013)
From the Netflix Top 100: Mud (2012)
From the Janus Arthouse Essential Collection: Umberto D. (1952)
In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
Best Movies of All Time based on the Tomatometer (sigh) Score: Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) (2008)
AFI 100 Years 100 Movies: City Lights Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939)
List of films considered the best, Wikipedia: La Règle du Jeu (1939)
The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, NY Times: The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
Best 100 Movies Ever Made, TIME Magazine: Nayakan (1987)
The 500 Greatest Moves of All Time, Empire Online: Andrei Rublev (1969)

Completed Assignments: Mad Max, The Conversation, Tombstone, Diabolique, The Last Picture Show, Fanny and Alexander, Dawn of the Dead, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Robot & Frank, 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, City Lights, Spartacus

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dude, go see Gravity before it's out of theaters!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Dude, go see Gravity before it's out of theaters!

Yeah, totally agree with this. Gravity loses about 95% of its value if you're not seeing it on a big screen.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

York_M_Chan posted:

List of films considered the best, Wikipedia: La Règle du Jeu (1939)

Try this one.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - It's been about a decade since I marathoned through the prior eight films in the series. From what I can recall this remake had a much faster pace than the 1984 film and it gave a more explicit origin for Freddy. A lot of the segments were directly lifted from the first film (although the most memorable one wasn't copied exactly).

Freddy has a new look this time around as well. He looks like an emaciated monkey/scarecrow. Some of Freddy's victims seem to be influenced by the Twilight film series.

In my horror universe the four horsemen are probably Jason, Pinhead, Michael Myers and Freddy. I tend to see Jason and Pinhead as the preeminent guys because those were the first films I saw in the genre. Michael Myers seemed less supernatural and Freddy's always been a little goofy. This is a commercial spoof but it's how I see him for the most part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q--kTgqNE3M

Side notes:

-http://www.gigablast.com is a real site.

-I didn't expect "All I Have to Do Is Dream" by the Everly Brothers to be featured.

-I'm still waiting for one of these villains to win.

Also watched:

Monster's Ball - I haven't quite seen one like this before. I suppose it's kind of an amalgam of The Green Mile and Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. The characters and the way things transpired felt fairly original but still believable. It felt like a modern authentic US as there's an inordinate amount of scenes showing destitute characters watching television.

The three generations of Grotowski's are pretty messed up. All of them have issues and are pretty callous. Buck is an outspoken racist who collects a scrapbook of executions, Hank is bitter (and marginally less racist) and hates his son. Sonny seems to have some emotional issues as well that are eventually confirmed when he abruptly shoots himself. Even at the funeral Buck seems more annoyed than sad. We also learn that Hank and Sonny share the same prostitute (unknowingly?)

The other prominent family are the Musgrove's. Lawrence is executed for a crime which leaves Leticia and Tyrell alone with an impending eviction. Tyrell is kind of a candy addict and he tragically dies after being run over by a car. Leticia goes crazy for a moment after this happens and Hank happens to be nearby. The disconcerting connection is that Hank and Sonny were the executioners of Lawrence. Hank begins an unlikely relationship with her and she remains ignorant of his old profession. There's also a disturbing scene where Leticia meets Buck.

The only predictable part was that she'd eventually realize the connection between Hank and Lawrence. Although the film leaves it open for interpretation as she really doesn't confront Hank. I have to wonder what she was thinking. Maybe she was just numb to tragedy or tired of fighting. The film ends with Leticia and Hank staring up at the stars and it evokes kind of a cosmic feel.

Procrastination (80 completed):

#77 A Few Good Men - This is on my list for some reason. 9/22/13

#78 Tales of the Moon Obscured by Rainclouds AKA Ugetsu Monogatari - Another important one. 9/25/13

#85 Barbarella - "Everything and anything to do with Hanoi Jane should be BURNED and erased from history. She is a traitor to our country and the POW's she betrayed. She should be hanged to the point of strangulation and not neck breaking until shes dead, dead, DEAD!" -Anonymous Netflix Reviewer 11/8/13

#86 The Thin Blue Line - A documentary about erroneousness. 11/8/13

new #87 Jesus Christ Superstar - Another one that's currently on Netflix instant. 11/14/13

new #88 The Final Countdown - "What if a 1980s American aircraft carrier (with its modern firepower) time-warped back to Pacific waters just outside Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941? That's the intriguing premise behind this sci-fi adventure that stars Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen." I don't know how this ended up on my Netflix queue. 11/14/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (29/46 completed):

I've seen 300 films now. Here's my top 5% and bottom 5%. The top 15 features films I'd most like to revisit and the bottom 15 includes films that gave me headaches and drew my ire:

Top 15:
1. Come and See
2. Three Colors: Blue
3. Gandhi
4. Sunset Boulevard
5. Vertigo
6. The Wages of Fear
7. The Big Sleep
8. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
9. Once Upon a Time in America
10. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
11. Solaris (1972)
12. Roman Holiday
13. Valley Girl
14. The Departed
15. Wild Strawberries

Bottom 15:
286. Lost Highway
287. Moon
288. Bamboozled
289. Warrior
290. The Manchurian Candidate
291. In Bruges
292. Shutter Island
293. The Great Dictator
294. Gigi
295. Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
296. The King's Speech
297. Touch of Evil
298. Monkey Shines
299. The Prowler
300. His Girl Friday

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

You liked His Girl Friday less than Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem? Best get to 'splainin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That bottom 15 list is loving awesome.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

You liked His Girl Friday less than Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem? Best get to 'splainin.

His Girl Friday is one of the few I've seen that induced a headache. Characters all shrieking nonsense at 500 WPM and jamming candlestick phones at each others faces while frantically running around a newsroom for 90 minutes. I think the zaniness of these motormouths was supposed to be hilarious but I hated it.

I have a seemingly inborn aversion to Cary Grant's comedic roles. He's the evil twin of Gregory Peck. But the story that's going on in the background (man about to be executed and a woman jumping off a building that's shrugged off and used as a bonus :lol: moment) while these people are engaging in rampant idiocy was the final straw.

Howard Hawks did The Big Sleep six years later and that's one I want to see again at some point.

Do I like AVP:R more than His Girl Friday? I don't think I'd use that exact language as I don't see much difference when we get to this level. If someone put a gun to my head I'd begrudgingly stick in the AVP:R DVD over HGF.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That bottom 15 list is loving awesome.

All those films have been burned in my memory for some reason or another.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 15, 2013

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Zogo, everyone has thoughts on your list, but I'm the only one who can give you the truth about it. And you can't handle the truth! Go watch A Few Good Men.

The Abyss was a shockingly long experience that felt like it could have cut at least 45 minutes from it's run time. It's a really long build-up in this one, focusing on the distrust between the Russians and Americans. It really takes a while for anything to happen though. The anti-nuclear theme in this isn't very subtle, but the effects with the giant tsunami were pretty cool. This really seems like the type of movie where one scene just seems perfect, then the following scene misses the mark. It's a very inconsistent watch.

I need to give credit to the visual effects in this movie. The cinematography and special effects are really well done throughout the movie. It also made good use of limited space and environment, and this really helped create a sense of claustrophobia when appropriate.

1. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

2. Gaslight: This is one of the more famous noirs, so I feel I need to see it.

3. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

4. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: I don't know much about this one aside from the fact that the protagonist is a fugitive. From a chain gang.

5. The 400 Blows: I've seen this pop up a few times in this thread, and I feel I should give it a watch.

6. The Crow: I used to have the soundtrack to this, but I've never watched it. It's been right at the front of my instant watch queue for a year now, but I just can't bother to watch it.

7. The Fugitive: Hey you known that Harrison Ford movie that's probably on 12 different channels right now? Yeah I've never bothered watching it.

8. Good Will Hunting: I actually have no clue what this is about, but it seems to be a fairly well-regarded movie.

9. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

10. Pan's Labyrinth: I haven't been a fan of the GDT movies that I've seen. Will this make me change my mind on the director?

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi, The Abyss

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

His Girl Friday is one of the few I've seen that induced a headache. Characters all shrieking nonsense at 500 WPM and jamming candlestick phones at each others faces while frantically running around a newsroom for 90 minutes. I think the zaniness of these motormouths was supposed to be hilarious but I hated it.

I have a seemingly inborn aversion to Cary Grant's comedic roles. He's the evil twin of Gregory Peck. But the story that's going on in the background (man about to be executed and a woman jumping off a building that's shrugged off and used as a bonus :lol: moment) while these people are engaging in rampant idiocy was the final straw.

Howard Hawks did The Big Sleep six years later and that's one I want to see again at some point.

Do I like AVP:R more than His Girl Friday? I don't think I'd use that exact language as I don't see much difference when we get to this level. If someone put a gun to my head I'd begrudgingly stick in the AVP:R DVD over HGF.

All those films have been burned in my memory for some reason or another.

Man. I just can't even fathom this because I pretty much love everything you hated. It's surprisingly dark for a screwball comedy, I think I called it Screwball Noir immediately after watching. And while I haven't seen every film of his I'm convinced Cary Grant can do no wrong. Even if the film's weak he's always wonderful.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"Surprisingly dark for a screwball comedy" isn't even the right way of putting it, I think. It's a straight up pitch black comedy and the fact that none of the characters acknowledge it except the ones who are staring death in the face and fail to see anything light or humorous in the whole situation just makes it that much funnier and that much darker. Like, holy poo poo is your comedy dark when the jokes are often at the expense of the people getting hosed over rather than a coping mechanism or a wry commentary on the situation. That film is great because you have to figure out not whether the main characters are fundamentally broken and hollow but rather what you think about it. In a comedy!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Zogo, everyone has thoughts on your list, but I'm the only one who can give you the truth about it. And you can't handle the truth! Go watch A Few Good Men.

The Abyss was a shockingly long experience that felt like it could have cut at least 45 minutes from it's run time. It's a really long build-up in this one, focusing on the distrust between the Russians and Americans. It really takes a while for anything to happen though. The anti-nuclear theme in this isn't very subtle, but the effects with the giant tsunami were pretty cool. This really seems like the type of movie where one scene just seems perfect, then the following scene misses the mark. It's a very inconsistent watch.

I need to give credit to the visual effects in this movie. The cinematography and special effects are really well done throughout the movie. It also made good use of limited space and environment, and this really helped create a sense of claustrophobia when appropriate.

1. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

3. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

4. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: I don't know much about this one aside from the fact that the protagonist is a fugitive. From a chain gang.

5. The 400 Blows: I've seen this pop up a few times in this thread, and I feel I should give it a watch.

6. The Crow: I used to have the soundtrack to this, but I've never watched it. It's been right at the front of my instant watch queue for a year now, but I just can't bother to watch it.

7. The Fugitive: Hey you known that Harrison Ford movie that's probably on 12 different channels right now? Yeah I've never bothered watching it.

8. Good Will Hunting: I actually have no clue what this is about, but it seems to be a fairly well-regarded movie.

9. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

10. Pan's Labyrinth: I haven't been a fan of the GDT movies that I've seen. Will this make me change my mind on the director?

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi, The Abyss

I enjoyed 400 blows.

The Godfather Pt. 2 (saw the first part but never got around to the second)
Life is Beautiful
Requiem for a Dream
Metropolis
The Elephant Man
Hotel Rwanda (read a Hotel in Kigali and well...)
No Country for Old Men
Lolita (read the book, but never got around to the movie)
Vengeance is Mine
Children of Man

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

I enjoyed 400 blows.

The Godfather Pt. 2 (saw the first part but never got around to the second)
Life is Beautiful
Requiem for a Dream
Metropolis
The Elephant Man
Hotel Rwanda (read a Hotel in Kigali and well...)
No Country for Old Men
Lolita (read the book, but never got around to the movie)
Vengeance is Mine
Children of Man

You get No Country for Old Men.

I watched Once Upon a Time in the West (as recommended by Mistletoe Donkey).

I really enjoyed it - it hit some exquisite peaks that I only feel when I'm watching something that truly hits me, which is always a great feeling. Seeing Fonda in his role was a treat too, especially given I'm a big fan of a few of his 'good guy' movies. The blue eyes work just as well when they're coming from a detestable character.

It took me about 35-40 minutes to escape the Western 'trappings' I often feel when I'm watching them, but they went away pretty quickly and for a movie that's nearly 3 hours long it flew by. Jason Robards was brilliant, the dialogue was great (it wasn't heavy, everything that was said was important), the story more nuanced than I expected and the final showdown (while the 'twist' was somewhat predictable, but that's to be expected given the 45 years that have passed in cinema) was just about perfect.

The sound design annoyed me a bit, but I think that's just something that comes with the territory. Just overly loud/quiet dialogue, awkward sound effects and so on took me out of it a bit at times. Bronson was a little stilted in some line deliveries, but mostly did an excellent job. I can't find too many other complaints. I can't say it totally swung me over to finding Westerns as something I'd seek out (it's still an issue that hurt the movie a bit for me, sadly, I just don't like the style/setting for the most part), but I really enjoyed it as a Friday night watch and am very happy I did so.

I felt it hit a few of the same beats as Once Upon a Time in America in points, which made me happy as I love that movie.

On a visual/audio level, the sets were bloody amazing, Morricone's score was (to be expected) excellent, especially Cheyenne's theme, and Claudia Cardinale was gorgeous.

And Trixrabbi, it wasn't difficult at all, so you were right on that one :).

8/10 for me.

My list now, with a new movie (I took one from Ebert's great movies rather than IMDB for the new one):

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I hate Westerns generally. My dad used to watch a lot of crappy ones with me and its left me with a distaste for the genre.

2. JFK - Just scrolled through Ebert's great movies list of the last 20 years and grabbed this at random. Seems like something I'd enjoy.

3. It's a Wonderful Life - I think I'd like this one, I've just never gotten around to watching it. See my first post regarding my silly problem with seeing movies that are 'older'.

4. Leon: The Professional - I've wanted to watch this a few times, but just haven't gotten around to it. It's weird, because I'm sure I'd love it, but I just have never sat down to do it.

5. Paths of Glory - Another one that I love the premise of and am put off at the last minute of watching by not watching an older or difficult movie. It's an illness! I really enjoy Kubrick so this is perhaps even more glaring than some others.

6. Amelie - One I know I should have seen given my penchant for happy stuff, but I haven't and it's meant to be brilliant. Spose that's why it's shameful.

7. Reservoir Dogs - The only Tarantino I haven't seen, perhaps because I saw Pulp Fiction as my first and went onwards from there. My favourites of his are Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds, if that helps at all.

8. Bicycle Thieves - I just never got drawn in enough to watch it based on the premise. I've watched a lot of stuff in the top 100 and enjoyed it, but my silly 'what I want to watch now' ideals get ahead of actual good movies at some stages. It seems like something I'd like, or at least want to watch.

9. Princess Mononoke - I did watch this when I was much younger, but I can't remember a thing about it so I figured it deserved including here. I love a few anime films but I hate most of them, so I'd put not watching this down to that.

10. Amadeus - It just seemed like something I wouldn't enjoy. I'm not the biggest fan of biopics but as far as I'm told this one isn't typical, so I'm keen.

Less Shameful: Once Upon a Time in the West: 8/10

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 15, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

PTizzle, you get The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. You're going to like westerns, dammit!

For me, Singin' in the Rain peaked early. I really enjoyed the first act, especially Don telling the story of his rise to fame. Hilarious. As it went on, it started to feel a bit more like spectacle than anything else, although I did like the Good Morning number and some of the Broadway Melody sequence, though that part felt a bit over long. Overall, I'd say I liked the film. The cast was great. There was definitely a lot of talent on display.

The List:

3. Witness for the Prosecution: I like a good courtroom drama.

NEW 9. Se7en: I've seen like the last 2/3 of this when my roommate was watching it years ago but I liked what I saw.

Watched (44): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I haven't seen Oklahoma! but it has been on your list since forever so maybe watch that.

Stalker was good, as if there was any ever doubt about it. I like how complicated the stalker is as a character - his breakdown at the end about how worthless the Professor and the Writer are and by extension how worthless everyone in the entire world except himself is was really interesting. He has disdain for these people because of their complicated ideas about art and so on that are ultimately just about themselves, but his rejection of everything they've said is no more authentic. All it gets him is angst and restlessness and disdain that, as near as I can tell, is largely unfounded. His wife and her monologue to the camera underscores this - we find out (sort of) why she married him and why she's sticking with him, but clearly everything isn't hunky dory, and given that he won't even bring her into the Zone and that she regrets not having gone with him the time he offered, it's almost as if his rejection of the Professor and Writer and all they stand for is just the latest in a series of revelations the stalker's had about how nobody is worth bringing into the Zone and how everything is poo poo forever except for his precious little Zone, which might be bullshit as far as anyone knows. Hell, the phones even work.

1) Lost Weekend (1945) - Billy Wilder!

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Diabolique (1955) - Is this about the devil?

4) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

5) Female Trouble (1974) - I have a John Waters sized hole in my "films watched" history.

6) Ordinary People (1980) - I guess this is a movie about ordinary people...?

7) Body Heat (1981) - I want to see some Lawrence Kasdan that isn't Lucas-related.

8) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

9) Amores Perros (2000) - When I was in college, one of my roommates watched this with some friends of ours. I was nearby but not paying attention (I had headphones on) but afterwards I caught their reaction - our friends sounded uncomfortable by what they had just seen, and my roommate thought it was pretty good. My roommate has good taste and likes weird stuff, and these friends are ones that don't really go for the more out-there stuff, so on the off chance I dislike this at least it will potentially be interesting.

10) In the Mood for Love (2000) - I've been working my way through Wong Kar-wai. This one is next.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

6) Ordinary People (1980) - I guess this is a movie about ordinary people...?

I wouldn't say completely ordinary.

A Few Good Men - The story is about a code red incident gone awry. A code red is basically a tool that USMC members use to punish and torture people using negative reinforcement to correct their bad behavior. This is a pretty common thing and you don't have to look far to find dozens of recent sports stories about players complaining about hazing or bullying by teammates.

One of these code reds results in the death of a soldier and two others are charged with his murder. Colonel Jessup initially comes across as some kind of badass but then he quickly shifts to a more insane tone. More could be said but I have a feeling most are familiar with this one.

The incident happened at GTMO. I think a provocative sequel is in order where Lt. Kaffee screams at and questions people about the recent scandals there.

Is this the most well-known exchange in 1990s US cinema? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk If not, what is?

I liked the opening too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjLyz8OAj1s

Procrastination (81 completed):

#85 Barbarella - "Everything and anything to do with Hanoi Jane should be BURNED and erased from history. She is a traitor to our country and the POW's she betrayed. She should be hanged to the point of strangulation and not neck breaking until shes dead, dead, DEAD!" -Anonymous Netflix Reviewer 11/8/13

#86 The Thin Blue Line - A documentary about erroneousness. 11/8/13

#87 Jesus Christ Superstar - Another one that's currently on Netflix instant. 11/14/13

#88 The Final Countdown - "What if a 1980s American aircraft carrier (with its modern firepower) time-warped back to Pacific waters just outside Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941? That's the intriguing premise behind this sci-fi adventure that stars Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen." I don't know how this ended up on my Netflix queue. 11/14/13

new #89 The Lady Vanishes - I think this has been remade a few times. 11/17/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (29/46 completed):

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Häxan - Witchcraft Through The Ages: Getting into this film without the knowledge that it had a documentary setting threw me off a bit, but I quickly got into the macabre history lesson about witchcraft and the medieval times and found that it had a good flow accompanied by the actors and directing.
The effects and costume and make-up was astonishing. All of the devils and demons felt real, but at the same time haunting. What stood out a bit was the soundtrack. There must be a reason for this very upbeat music set to this horror film, but I can't figure it what it is.
All in all I enjoyed it a whole lot and even though I have watched a bunch of silent films before, this one made me not even realize there was no spoken dialogue.

4/5

Zogo: Watch Ugetsu Monogatari

1. The Haunted Strangler (Robert Day)
Boris Karloff's characters just seem so haunting that I can't resist.

2. Slacker

3. The Uninvited

No real excuse here.

It sounds intriguing.

7. Harakiri

8. Band of Outsiders

9. Vampyr
On my old list this was included, but there is still something that drags me towards it.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan,

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
von Braun, that is one obscure list- I've never even heard of any of them. Random number generator says Japanese Summer.

The Usual Suspects is an incredibly stylish movie. The actors create powerful characters (Spacey has long been one of my favorite actors) and the scenes are shot wonderfully. There's a lot of tension in the film and it's clear a lot of work went into it. And yet... isn't the whole thing kind of a hollow experience?

The big twist seems to be that Verbal is Keyser Soze (maybe) and all the stories he told about what happened were lies. We get that when we see the detective look at the board and realize all the names he used were taken from things he saw (and also he looked at an overweight black woman and got the idea to say someone was "orca fat," which seems needlessly cruel). This would probably have made my jaw drop if I didn't already know it. But that means that maybe two-thirds of what I watched didn't really happen but was instead just a bunch of bullshit Verbal made up. So is there any reason for me to care about all of that? A lot of people rewatch the movie to see the "clues," but if what we hear has no relationship to reality, what's the point? I watched some of the special features, and one of the people involved (Stephen Baldwin, I think) kept going on about how great it is that the movie "lies to you." Frankly, that's not very impressive to me. It's easy to fool someone without giving them any clues, but it's not playing fair. I love the unreliable narrator trope, but usually you can work out how close to reality what he says is even if you're not 100% sure. Verbal's stories may have been completely fiction- we have no way of knowing. People go on about how amazing the twist is, but it seems like a cheat if there's no way to guess it. It's like if people talked about how surprised they were when it turned out Dorothy was dreaming everything that happened in Oz- yeah, you might not expect it, but how could you?

I'll narrowly recommend this, because the parts are very good, but I'm not convinced they add up to a coherent whole. However, I'd love to discuss this further if anyone has a different perspective.

Rating: 3/4

Oh, I also saw Miller's Crossing recently. It wasn't on my list, but probably would have been eventually. This one was disappointing in that it was good but not up to the Coens' usual standards. It seemed like a generic crime drama that anyone could have made, whereas most Coen brothers movies have a feel to them. I did like the little Italian gangster whom I was surprised to realize was not Danny DeVito.

83. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang- So, I don't know. This is like - a noir, but not a noir? A parody, kind of but not really? Robert Downey Jr.? I'm confused, but I'm told I'll like it.

84. Lost Weekend- Ben Franklin from 1776 gets really drunk. Sure, why not?

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

95. Rain Man- Tom Cruise is an rear end in a top hat who exploits gullible people for money. Also, he was in this movie. :rimshot:

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

97. Ed Wood- People go on and on about this. I've never seen an Ed Wood movie, but I don't think it matters.

98. Ratatouille- Pixar! I saw some of this a couple months back, and I was enjoying it, but didn't get to finish.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

von Braun posted:

7. Harakiri

If you get assigned this at some point, watch the original.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Rated PG-34 posted:

If you get assigned this at some point, watch the original.

Wiki tells me Fritz Lang made a movie with the same name, do you mean that? I'm meaning to watch the Masaki Kobayashi one.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

von Braun posted:

Wiki tells me Fritz Lang made a movie with the same name, do you mean that? I'm meaning to watch the Masaki Kobayashi one.

I think he's worried about you watching the Takashi Miike remake from a couple years ago. So when he said "original" he's likely referring to the Kobayashi film (which is phenomenal).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Jurgan posted:

I kind of want to make you re-watch the amazing Miller's Crossing...curses! This will do.

The Breakfast Club is all about unrealised potential...especially since it could have been amazing when it was only pretty good. It reminded me of the occasional paper I would burn through writing, look at it, and shrug thinking it was good enough. This movie is good enough. At times it's funny and at others it is revealing in its honest emotion. It's important that they're all archetypal figures because it's supposed to indicate that people cannot all be lumped under broad strokes categories. The problem is how quickly things change between some of them. Maybe it's supposed to suggest they're young and haven't learned to hold onto their prejudices (like Principal Vernon) but it didn't ring true at times...specifically the romances.

With a re-write and a little extra attention to some detail, it could have been excellent.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was enamored by it.

1930s - L'Atalante (1934) - Rolling through some classics that have been on my periphery.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Ashes and Diamonds (1958) - Wajda has been on my radar for a while now. Time to pull the trigger.

1960s - Z (1969) - Political thrillers are my cup of tea and I loved Costa-Gavras' Missing.

1970s - The Passenger (1975) - Antonioni is one of those auteurs I've been meaning to catch up with. I've seen Blow Up and...nothing else.

1980s - The Goonies (1985) - Whenever this one comes up, I just don't say anything because I don't want to be shunned by my friends who love it. Let's fix this.

1990s - Europa (1991) - Lars von Trier is a fascinating filmmaker and I would like to see more of his earlier work. I've caught Anti-Christ, Melancholia and Dogville but his only pre-2000 work I've seen is The Kingdom.

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that.

Bonus/Random - Dersu Uzala (1975) - Kurosawa film with a story I've been fascinated by but never watched.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club (TOTAL: 146)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Ratedargh posted:

1970s - The Passenger (1975) - Antonioni is one of those auteurs I've been meaning to catch up with. I've seen Blow Up and...nothing else.

This is a film I've always wanted to catch up with too. Enjoy some more Antonioni!

Amores Perros
I could never recommend this film to a dog owner, or any pet owner for that matter. A devastating but great film told through three separate stories. One is a little weaker than the other two, but otherwise the way these stories weave in and out of each other is very effective. There's plenty of great performances throughout as all were entirely convincing, particularly Gael Garcia Bernal as Octavio and Emilio Echevarria as El Chivo.

LIST

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

The Last Picture Show (2013.09.23) - early Jeff Bridges?? Absolutely! Plus I need to put a bigger dent in this BBS Collection.

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

The Magnificient Ambersons (2013.05.04) - I claim to be a big Welles fan yet have not watched his follow up to Citizen Kane.

The Music Room (2013.01.29) - my Satyajit Ray cherry is still intact.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (2013.05.20) - that face keeps staring at me...

The Spirit of the Beehive (2013.08.08) - I've consistently heard great things about this one.. know nothing other than that.

The Taste of Cherry (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? **new** (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

Witness For The Prosecution (2013.06.02) - this list, and my life, always could use more Wilder.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), [Total:50]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 21, 2013

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
friendo get started with The Music Room, a movie I've always wanted to see

Sanjuro was just pure fun. It seemed like smaller scale Kurosawa, which was just fine. Mifune was awesome as always, though I never felt he was ever in any real danger. The standout though was how comedic the movie seemed to be. There were some great moments that cracked me up. Highly enjoyable.

1) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Mistletoe Donkey, go with Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It's probably the best noir of the 80s* and it's pretty funny as well.

*Not a competitive category
I watched The 400 Blows. It was pretty good. I wasn't as into it as some others have been, but it was enjoyable. I liked the youthful exuberance in the movie, and it really did remind me of being a kid. It made me nostalgic for the days we could just skip school and get up to trouble. The care-free lifestyle lived in this movie is a sharp contrast to his home and school life, where he is always getting in trouble. Antoine is a truly empathetic character, and the last shot of the film is really haunting. I will say that some movies like this really don't make an immediate impact on me, but a few days/weeks later the impact of the film hits me like a ton of bricks. This could be one of those movies.

I also watched Good Will Hunting. Meh. This movie really seemed like it was trying too hard. The dialogue was a little too snappy and crisp in this movie. Matt Damon's character is a genius, but he works as a janitor at MIT. He gets in poo poo with law and as part of his parole has to see a therapist (Robin Williams). The relationship between the two is what really drives the movie, as the characters learn about themselves. It's pretty sappy and predictable, but to the film's credit Damon and Williams put in really great performances. Ben Affleck, on the other hand, overdoes it with his Boston accent and every time he is on the screen he is unbearable.

The List of Shame

5. The Crow: I used to have the soundtrack to this, but I've never watched it. It's been right at the front of my instant watch queue for a year now, but I just can't bother to watch it.

6. The Fugitive: Hey you known that Harrison Ford movie that's probably on 12 different channels right now? Yeah I've never bothered watching it.

7. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

8. Pan's Labyrinth: I haven't been a fan of the GDT movies that I've seen. Will this make me change my mind on the director?

9. The Great Escape: What's so great about it?

10. Oldboy: I plan on seeing the remake, so it will be interesting to compare/contrast

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi, The Abyss, The 400 Blows, Good Will Hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

CopywrightMMXI, I just watched The Fugitive recently so you get to, too.

I'm terrible about hearing about a movie, wanting to watch it, planning to watch it ... and then never watching it. As a result, I'm really, really film-illiterate! Like, I could probably count on two hands how many films I've seen that are older than I am, and this is depressing.

I'm randomizing from IMDB's Top 250 to start with, and I'll branch out from there as it strikes my fancy.

1) Unforgiven (1992): I haven't watched many Westerns, but I've liked the ones I've seen.

2) Platoon (1986) For some reason I've always avoided war films. Time to fix that.

3) 12 Angry Men (1957): I have no justification for not having watched this, it sounds right up my alley.

4) North by Northwest (1959): Since we ditched cable I've been watching a ton of Alfred Hitchcock Presents but I've never seen a Hitchcock film. What is wrong with me.

5) The Departed (2005): With this cast I should have already seen this, but nope.

6) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975): Another I know I'd enjoy, have always meant to watch, but just... didn't.

7) The Maltese Falcon (1941): I've never seen a true noir or a Bogart film. This is a cry for help.

8) Django Unchained (2012): I haven't seen any of Tarantino's latest films, even though I love everything he's done that I've watched.

9) Léon: The Professional (1994): Have been hearing a lot of talk about this lately but don't really know anything about it.

10) Toy Story (1995): I watched this in theaters, actually! But I was really young and remember nothing except for the "falling with style" joke so I don't think it counts.