Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

As I said on IRC, I'd love to see that for the Mining and derelict z-levels too. But secrets I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

The round where windows itself took revenge on the crew.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I can't help but notice the outer Belt Hell being a remarkably safe place compared to many others. Perhaps more people should go and hang out there? :angel:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's relatively new, I guess people have yet to figure out how best to take advantage of it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Steps to taking advantage of it:

1) Push two crates out in the middle so they'll block traffic either way.
2) Stun people and shove them onto the mass drivers.
3) Success.

Edit: Scratch that, I know an even better way. First off, cut all cameras nearby, so the AI can't peek. Then, RCD away the blast door to one of the launchers. Bolt open the door leading into the room. Shut off the conveyor belt, and stick an emag on the conveyor. Hide in a nearby locker with a spray bottle full of space lube. :unsmigghh:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 14, 2013

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

Steps to taking advantage of it:

1) Push two crates out in the middle so they'll block traffic either way.
2) Stun people and shove them onto the mass drivers.
3) Success.

Edit: Scratch that, I know an even better way. First off, cut all cameras nearby, so the AI can't peek. Then, RCD away the blast door to one of the launchers. Bolt open the door leading into the room. Shut off the conveyor belt, and stick an emag on the conveyor. Hide in a nearby locker with a spray bottle full of space lube. :unsmigghh:

gently caress, just tossing someone out on belt hell outer edge is lethal.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Top Quark posted:

Ahaha the bee is because he recorded it on my site and there's a bee that follows your cursor. Observe.

The most deaths by player name is pretty funny, cluwne is #1 at 408 :v:

Also lol at the people who have died more times than "Unknown"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Oh gently caress early shuttle departures so much

I was so close to completing my first golden pod :arghfist::( (armor provided by a wealthy donor)

BTW DrCogwerks, the hangar door sprites don't seem to play well with upside-down world :shobon:

e: just noticed the lattice too

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 14, 2013

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

hackbunny posted:

BTW DrCogwerks, the hangar door sprites don't seem to like being flipped upside down

I don't think anything does. The escape shuttle nose was turned 90 degrees.

I'm also glad mining went so well that round considering there were 0 at round start.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 14, 2013

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I late joined as a mechanic and hit the million dollar jackpot on the slot machine I built in the engine room. I rushed to a certain store in the debris field and when I came out my pod was destroyed. I bought 3 gold pod armors, 3 of the other wonderful item in there, and called for a pickup when a miner requested yellow gloves to hack the autolathes. I gratefully handed over my spare items to the miners and headed back to the station, realizing I could now very easily bypass doors. It was an exciting round, but I learned when the station got flipped that the cable network also does not work well upside down and got stranded and died while riding the rails!

It was still fun dropping in and out of the drama in Security at will!

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Was the "emergency shuttle crashing into the station" gimmick ever used again? That thing was hilarious.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

code:
Highest brute damage on death

Name 	        Brute Damage
1. Frank Cutler 	666666
I don't even remember how I died here, but I'm sure it was awesome.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
I was the main contributor to the 600 farts in a fifteen minute round just now. Life is good.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm waiting for the moment when that site implements fart tracking.

"Most farted on" :v:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

shovelbum posted:

I late joined as a mechanic and hit the million dollar jackpot on the slot machine I built in the engine room. I rushed to a certain store in the debris field and when I came out my pod was destroyed. I bought 3 gold pod armors, 3 of the other wonderful item in there, and called for a pickup when a miner requested yellow gloves to hack the autolathes

That was me! Dying in space sucks, so I always answer distress calls. Thanks for all the stuff! I always dreamed of owning a golden pod, although I could't assemble it fast enough :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
1 round, 180 deaths.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Can't be the first Omegadrone fiasco, that had way more clowns in Pods.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A friend used Photoshop to merge all the heatmap frames into one image, which is a whole lot more informative* (but less fun to watch).

*Nowhere is safe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The solar panels on the south side seem okaBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Actually EVA and the engineer quarters seem pretty safe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Also, I think a lot of the escape explosions are from when people gently caress around with the escape pods.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I suspect that's one of the rounds where enterprising scientists bomb the escape shuttle with homemade handgrenades that alternate between killing the poo poo out of you and chemically bringing you back to life to die horribly again.

Or maybe not. The timestamps don't support the hellsmoke/lifesmoke theory.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 14, 2013

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
People should be careful about assuming the outer Belt Hell loop is safe just because people don't die there. I've seen a shipment sent to the new medsci dock whack a person pretty good because they were standing in the wrong place. Those mass launchers have a pretty good kick to them.

On a related note, after a recent QM round with a particularly congested cargo bay, I came up with this. The cargo bay I desperately wish I could have.

Some stuff gets moved around. The bay is only one tile wider, but the effective available space is increased by about 50 percent, so there should be plenty of room for all the stuff you order and keep on hand. The pod bay is also two spaces wider, because the expanded bay moves it over a space, and it'd look weird if it stuck out just a single space from the next part of the station, so I made it stick out by 3 instead. Plenty of room for mass producing pods now.

You may notice I removed the outer blast doors. I despise those things more than I hate wizards. Both when buying and selling, those things are always jamming the system. So gently caress them, just put that part in open space. For atmospheric integrity, you'd use the auto-airlocks I described in the image. Just say that they automatically cycle the atmosphere in and out as needed, so they're totally lossless. They'd have the advantage of making the cargo bay and docks safer. No more worrying about a crate flying in and pancaking you. Unless somebody emags the things.

To make it work as I've envisioned, you'd have to give the shipping computer the ability to add barcodes to the crates you order, in place of the current comment box, and those barcodes include a "resell" option. The "1" cargo router sends a crate up for any barcode except "cargo bay" or "resell," in which case it sends it down. "2" sends a "resell" crate to the right, and any other one down. That way you can easily move crates back onto the market as you order them. "3" sends any dock barcode other than "cargo bay" to the left, and any other barcode goes down.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Leon Sumbitches exclaims, "please don't fart on me!"
You are resting. Click 'rest' to toggle back to stand.
The snack machine beeps, "A fresh delight is only a bite away!"
Donald Hammock farts on the bible.
A mysterious force smites Donald Hammock!
Leon Sumbitches says, "wreckt"

:v:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Crates need to explode if they aren't caught, like the Mass Driver mineral packets from S.T.A.R.S

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB

-Troika- posted:

Leon Sumbitches exclaims, "please don't fart on me!"
You are resting. Click 'rest' to toggle back to stand.
The snack machine beeps, "A fresh delight is only a bite away!"
Donald Hammock farts on the bible.
A mysterious force smites Donald Hammock!
Leon Sumbitches says, "wreckt"

:v:

He got me too with that and he didn't even say a word, I just couldnt resist farting on a helpless prone man :-(

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

If this is the round I think it was, the dead were repeatedly brought back as vengeful murderous ghosts tasked with murdering their murderers.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I'll look into making the ordering computer auto-barcode things soon, and rearrange the belts in QM a bit.

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
I love the kill zone in front of the belt. The best thing about being a qm is the guaranteed accident when somebody barges in and I'm busy ordering produce. Please keep this!

edit: maybe add a hazard sign for me to point to?

oblongus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 14, 2013

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
A way of unjamming crates without going out and doing it yourself would be pretty cool too.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Admiral Funk posted:

A way of unjamming crates without going out and doing it yourself would be pretty cool too.

That's why in my dream cargo bay there are no blast doors for things to get stuck on. Instead of tweaking things to lessen the problem, just eliminate the source entirely.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar
Don't things that are delivered by belt hell land on a conveyor belt at their final destination, and then they're moved (slowly, via that same belt) into the loading area where you can take it away? I guess I haven't seen a way in which an arriving crate/object/whatever can bowl someone over. I could be completely misremembering it.

And if that's the case, don't make it safer! Industrial accidents are what make the station great. If anything, maybe put some sort of buzzer or flashing light when there's incoming cargo.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Bachelor Numpad posted:

Don't things that are delivered by belt hell land on a conveyor belt at their final destination, and then they're moved (slowly, via that same belt) into the loading area where you can take it away? I guess I haven't seen a way in which an arriving crate/object/whatever can bowl someone over. I could be completely misremembering it.

And if that's the case, don't make it safer! Industrial accidents are what make the station great. If anything, maybe put some sort of buzzer or flashing light when there's incoming cargo.

If both the outer and inner doors are open there is nothing to stop the launched crate and it comes flying in at quite some speed. Also, if the safety shutters aren't closed then Engineering gets your crate. :argh:

There's the sound of a mechanical bell when the outer blast doors open automatically, which signals an incoming (and in this case, safe) crate.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I do like the idea of those automatic cargo doors to stop high-speed crates, but they would have prevented one of the funniest accidents I've had as a QM.

I'd set up a wooden barricade at the left end of the in-belt and one just above the out-belt so you could just push crates straight up to sell them back. This worked fine for a good ten minutes, but then when I was still standing on the in-belt pushing a crate, one flew in at superspeed and slammed me against the barricade. And kept doing it over and over. The server froze for a good 3-4 minutes with occasional bursts of multiple screens full of the message saying the crate was slamming into me. The lag finally ended when I exploded in a shower of gibs and the crate came to a rest on its own against the barricade :unsmigghh:

To this day I still have no idea if it was the crate repeatedly slamming me that gibbed me, or if an admin did it to save the server :v:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Many of the launchers are intentionally set to drive crates too far, causing them to overshoot their landing belts and slam into the room past them.
This will not be fixed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Many of the launchers are intentionally set to drive crates too far, causing them to overshoot their landing belts and slam into the room past them.
This will not be fixed.

This right here is why I keep coming back to this game :allears:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

You should be able to duct tape a knife to a crate so that when it slams into someone on arrival, it just straight up gibs them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PopeCrunch posted:

You should be able to duct tape a knife to a crate so that when it slams into someone on arrival, it just straight up gibs them.

Now that emagging the console doesn't let you buy special crates it should instead make it so that every crate comes flying in absolutely covered in spikes and horribly kills anyone hit by it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Give consoles such as the QM console and the Delivery consoles speed settings, kind of like fabricators. Setting 1 is super slow, but safe and reliable. (I.E. poo poo doesn't get stuck in the door.) Setting 3 is normal speed, and crates can hurt. Emagging it gives you settings up to 5, which will instagib anyone hit by a crate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

PopeCrunch posted:

a drill :black101:

• Locked thread