Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Try working at home 90% of the time with the other 10% involving going to different sites.

Google Now is confused as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm finding I'm inadvertently mis-spelling things a lot on my n5, and went to re-calibrate the keyboard only to discover this seems to have been removed?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Shannow posted:

I'm finding I'm inadvertently mis-spelling things a lot on my n5, and went to re-calibrate the keyboard only to discover this seems to have been removed?
What keyboard are you using? I don't think the Google Keyboard has ever had this option.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shannow posted:

Just use SwiftKey.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Since everyone is doing it, this is the Auto Awesome'd video Google made from my few pics and 3 videos G+ had from my friends wedding shower from co-workers. I think this is utterly amazing, and I couldn't of edited something like this myself in a million years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJSBf2XUEEo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's some pretty menacing music

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Here's my auto-awesome, my two year old doing dinosaur walk. Look at it and do not feel mirth, I dare you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ILwsOQ81c

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Here's my auto-awesome, my two year old doing dinosaur walk. Look at it and do not feel mirth, I dare you.

Sorry, I'm a grumpy old man.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="421873709"]
Just use SwiftKey.

Yup

Also I've never heard of this auto-awesome stuff before. Time to start taking more videos!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Solly posted:

I have a very specific case request for the htc one. I've just had it returned from its speaker repair and although it may not be the cause, the speakers were full of iron fillings before I sent it off and I'm trying to stop it happening again. I work with metal so they tend to get everywhere, is there some kind of case I can put it in for work that covers up the speakers, I'm thinking a waterproof one or something. I don't care how good or bad the case is since I don't really use my phone at work. I've searched and searched and found nothing that will work. It currently sits in a ziplock bag all day.

I like Simply Waterproof bags for using my N5 or older phone during athletics in crappy weather. They're meant for motorcyclist types and people who might need to get splashed, etc. Like a heavy-duty Ziploc, sized perfectly for smartphones. The rear side of the bag is static/chem-resistant silvery stuff so that'd block your rear camera. Front's transparent though.

They fit the N5 fine so they ought to fit the normal HTC One (the One is slightly less tall and wide). They sell for about $3 per on Amazon.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 15, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I use a Sea to Summit drybag for my laptop + phone when sailing. But they're all mostly the same.

For your situation you might be better off with an empty peanut butter jar. We would use those to hold sunglasses when camping. It's crush proof, somewhat drop proof and completely waterproof. Come to think of it if you drilled a hole in the back and ran a cable though it, it would make for an interesting "upright dock"/cellphone stand.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is awesome. The border is kind of in the way a bit but for the most part it looks like a human edited that.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Thank you for brightening up my otherwise miserable day. That is just adorable. :3:

Is this a Nexus 5 only thing or will it eventually come to the N4 as well?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

the kawaiiest posted:

Thank you for brightening up my otherwise miserable day. That is just adorable. :3:

It's part of Google+ Photos, so everyone should have it now or very soon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the kawaiiest posted:

It's a Google+ thing. However, I'm not sure if uploading videos from your computer would still cause it to make an auto-awesome video, but my guess would be that it would, since it currently does that for pictures.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Now this is a god drat awesome phone notification.

(1:27)

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="421878740"]
It's part of Google+ Photos, so everyone should have it now or very soon.

Oh so my husband probably has it already. Sweet. Thanks.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If I don't use G+ really, can I still capitalize on autoawesome somehow? Can I have my phone backup photos to private albums or anything?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr. Powers posted:

If I don't use G+ really, can I still capitalize on autoawesome somehow? Can I have my phone backup photos to private albums or anything?

Your photos back up to a private album by default (and perhaps only).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Now this is a god drat awesome phone notification.

(1:27)

That would creep me the hell out if I saw my phone doing that.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Just got off the phone with google asking about the slow focus of the nexus 5 and the inability to take a clear picture of anything with a heart beat, they said they'd never heard of the issue before and that maybe I need to do a factory reset.

:rolleyes:

Don't worry guys at least someone has now reported the problem to them.

SmokeyXIII fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 15, 2013

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Any goons using the HTC One mini? Let me know.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone know how to correct the aspect ratio of the auto awesome videos? Have one that it did a decent job on but it cropped them like it was shot vertically.

Edit: One big problem I'm already seeing is that videos I decide to save disappear, have you share it before the screen goes to sleep.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 15, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The N5 seems pretty busy. Most of these small activations seem to be from Play Services. That's around half an hour from unplugging it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Is that causing a problem with battery performance? My phone is just about as busy and I've got fantastic battery life.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Ashex posted:

Is that causing a problem with battery performance? My phone is just about as busy and I've got fantastic battery life.

Christ, they weren't kidding when they said the screen guzzles battery.

By the way, can anyone tell me if LTE is less battery intensive than HSDPA / 3G? I never understood the differences other than newer tech gives better maximum speeds

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 15, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Christ, they weren't kidding when they said the screen guzzles battery.

By the way, can anyone tell me if LTE is less battery intensive than HSDPA / 3G? I never understood the differences other than newer tech gives better maximum speeds

It should be better for battery if only because faster speeds means the radio can be off more than other radios would be.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
My Nexus 5 somehow managed to spend 12 hours awake today due to "Android System". It fixed itself on reboot, but it certainly made it difficult to evaluate the battery life.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="421894362"]
It should be better for battery if only because faster speeds means the radio can be off more than other radios would be.

On the other hand standby is better with 3g. Who knows if that evens it out though.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Ashex posted:

Seems to me this is not at all "fantastic battery life". On Wi-Fi the whole time, barely any screen on time, and when the screen IS on, the battery discharges like crazy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FistEnergy posted:

Seems to me this is not at all "fantastic battery life". On Wi-Fi the whole time, barely any screen on time, and when the screen IS on, the battery discharges like crazy.

Doesn't wifi show as "on" even if it's not connected?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's there on mine (on 4.3):

What is this Uncharted 3 ring tone? My ring tone is currently nyan cat. I need a new one.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I use 'office suite' for reading documents and PDFs - on a stock n5. How do I set it so that when I download a document on chrome I can have it boot to office suite when i click on the download in the drop down menu? Just says 'can't open file' until I find it manually in office suite

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Does it have the same problem with other documents?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

the kawaiiest posted:

Nice username/post combo. It's only made that one, but I take a lot of videos. You can make them yourself though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why does Hangouts want my phone number if it's not really using it? I mean, I noticed because I am on Google Voice, which I know is not integrated.

It appears that the SMS application is merely contained within Hangouts, but seems to be completely separate from the GChat aspect of Hangouts.

Unless it's only using this phone number that you enter as some kind of a key to determine if you should be contacted via chat or SMS?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FogHelmut posted:

Why does Hangouts want my phone number if it's not really using it? I mean, I noticed because I am on Google Voice, which I know is not integrated.

It appears that the SMS application is merely contained within Hangouts, but seems to be completely separate from the GChat aspect of Hangouts.

Unless it's only using this phone number that you enter as some kind of a key to determine if you should be contacted via chat or SMS?

It's going to eventually use Voice which is why it needs your number. Currently it doesn't actually need your number but it's part of the set up process at the moment.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Boner Wad posted:

What is this Uncharted 3 ring tone? My ring tone is currently nyan cat. I need a new one.

Exactly what it sounds like. I think it's officially called "Nate's Theme," and I'm using the Uncharted 3 version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeUYzDgs498

I think this is the exact file I got:
http://audiko.net/ringtone/Uncharted+3/Uncharted+3?ring=19147321

I can't verify because my work network blocks actually downloading/playing from Audiko (but not just browsing the site) for some reason.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Rusty! posted:

Does it have the same problem with other documents?

Just with docx and doc files!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

Even taking a dynamic power range into account, it's like LG/Google learned nearly nothing from the Nexus 4. :allears:

• Locked thread