Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm in at $100, but primarily for the minis and because I'm a sucker for this sort of adventure boardgame. My wife loves the myth this is (loosely) based on, which is a plus.

I feel like the gameplay has been a lot more in the foreground than with some other big miniatures kickstarters, but I haven't really been following the videos too closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Is it just me or is the avp kickstarter being run really weird?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Phoon posted:

Is it just me or is the avp kickstarter being run really weird?

How so?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It seems like they announce a paid add on stetch goal and then add random extras (usually some credit) when they actually reach it because people were pissed about it being an addon.

Mainly though they just posted an update that when an employee's wife has a baby they will add £10 credit and I think that is weird.

Edit: should have made it a free chestburster

Phoon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 14, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd be very wary of those "Hey a bunch of sweet minis!!! and a game" Kickstarters since I think most of those resulting games have been mediocre at best. YMMV obviously, and I am saying this as someone who threw in a ton of money at Cthulhu Wars.

There have been minis projects I would have supported if I could get the minis alone and discard the actual game. Most of the time I want minis, I have a pretty good idea already regarding what I'd do with them.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

John McClane posted:

Ugh I'm so tempted to go for 180 on the Journey Kickstarter. Anyone else throw down on it?

I did briefly because they were doing a time-limited promotional freebie but as I saw more of the proposed gameplay it was pretty clearly not for me. Things like all or nothing damage for demons (especially combined with either a penalized kill or another dice roll to maybe purify them or maybe put them right back on their feet), spending MP to turn, and an apparent lack of individual character special abilities were all significant turnoffs for me.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There have been minis projects I would have supported if I could get the minis alone and discard the actual game. Most of the time I want minis, I have a pretty good idea already regarding what I'd do with them.

I hear that. I don't play skirmish games, but a lot of them have pretty awesome minis.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

jmzero posted:

I'm in on it, without knowing too much about how it plays. I understand it works for very big numbers - how well does it work with "low" numbers like 8 or 9? Do you need a big crowd for it to shine?

I played with a print and play version with 12 and 14 people. I can't imagine it's as good with less people, and it would be much harder to involve many of the variety characters involved.

Also of note is that everyone kept wanting to play. I brought it along as a party game to try with non-board gaming people (not people who hate the idea, but just don't play board games for whatever reason), and I thought people might like 1, maybe 2 rounds. We played about 7 or 8 rounds (over 2 hours, in other words), with everyone loving it (the frotteur and prude characters were a great fit for this particular group, nothing says party game like trying to touch people). We reached an unfortunate point where the normal last round play was that red team was in one room with the bomber, blue team in the other with the president, and both rooms tried to think about what the other team would do. But so many fascinating things can happen, like when I was President in a primarily red room, and had to try and work out whether to try and stay here while they bet that the president was in the other room, or bet I was the president (I messed up and let slip who I was, losing the game for my team). It worked great as a party game that allowed for a wide variety of tactics and ways to play, while being so social that nobody in the 14 felt like they did nothing, and with characters it would just get better and better. The real time aspect works great, and no player elimination keeps it from excluding people (like werewolf) as the game runs long. Highly recommend, and if I didn't live in Australia I'd pick it up for sure.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The issue I have with the Games and Gears boards is that they look incredibly boring. They are flat spaces, sure they have details on them, but my terrain issues are a lack of buildings not a lack of flat spaces, even if they do have a nice texture to them.

Some have interesting ideas, some look terrible - the stretch goal "anima battle boards" 5th title looks astoundingly bad. But if they offered card building options for the "anima" board that look as good as the dropzone commander board, I'd pledge in a flash.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 15, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was hoping the fantasy city would be a good base for a 40's French villa, but those cobblestones and sidewalks look like they were etched by someone who had never seen a rock before.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JackMann posted:

I hear that. I don't play skirmish games, but a lot of them have pretty awesome minis.

In all honesty the minis more than the game itself are what have me on the fence about Shadows and Brimstone. The mine cart level would have me set for Deadlands minis and tiles forever.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So apparently there's been some hitch in BattleCON's Kickstarter, but I really like the way that David dealt with it:

quote:

It looks like our situation with Extended Edition is a bit more complex than we initially imagined, and we may be waiting until the full shipment arrives at our warehouse to get it.

This is no good, naturally, because we have BGG.CON coming up and we have to sell (we haven't released a game in 8 months now, and we financially can't afford to miss another convention, especially one we have committed to as heavily as BGG). We also have a new project coming up, Argent, and I don't feel right launching that before I start fulfilling BattleCON.

I've decided to begin shipping games out right now, so that we can both fulfill our promises to you, as well as sell at BGG.CON as business sense dictates we have to do. In the next few days, you should receive BattleCON: Devastation in the mail. When Extended Edition arrives, we will ship out a second package, containing it and any combination of Disc Duelers, Slugfest, Promo cards, Strikers, and Pixel Tactics that you may have added on to your pledge.

This is going to cost us around $6 extra per person, but my hope is that when you finally see BattleCON in your hands, you will rush off to back Argent, and things will square up at the end of the day. :D

It's a really classy course of action, which has been a common thread throughout Level 99's various campaigns. I do sorta wonder whether it would actually do anything to appease the sort of people who would whine about a late Kickstarter project, but it's still a nice thing to do. For my part, I sent him a message to wait until it's all ready so as to save him $6, which is something he provided as an option for people. With more than 1000 backers, that $6 could make a pretty considerable dent to finances, so I can just wait to play the umpteen other games that have yet the table.

Here's a preview of the next game, Argent. Hopefully they get some sort of manual or gameplay demo out, but they've generally been really good about that.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

GrandpaPants posted:

So apparently there's been some hitch in BattleCON's Kickstarter, but I really like the way that David dealt with it:

It's a really classy course of action, which has been a common thread throughout Level 99's various campaigns. I do sorta wonder whether it would actually do anything to appease the sort of people who would whine about a late Kickstarter project, but it's still a nice thing to do. For my part, I sent him a message to wait until it's all ready so as to save him $6, which is something he provided as an option for people. With more than 1000 backers, that $6 could make a pretty considerable dent to finances, so I can just wait to play the umpteen other games that have yet the table.

Here's a preview of the next game, Argent. Hopefully they get some sort of manual or gameplay demo out, but they've generally been really good about that.

I got to play a demo of Argent with Trey, the designer, at GenCon and it was a really cool take on the worker placement genre.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Argent + BattleCON Devastation is 75$ more than just DevastationArgent? I worry that he lost a lot of money on BattleCON if it's gone up in price 50%.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 16, 2013

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Devastation retails for $75, so I suspect the $50 price was a Kickstarter incentive. If Argent is funded and makes it out to retails, I wouldn't be surprised to see it have a $75 price tag, too.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Ok, Alan sent me these replies:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I wondered about the "Dropsy pack" expansion. I'm in already. But I do wonder what else they will be offering as stretch goals since they seem to have run out of cards to put up as goals.

There will be more card stretch goals. It all comes down to affordability and crunching the numbers. Look out for another green card coming soon. It's a crowd favorite.

jmzero posted:

I'm in on it, without knowing too much about how it plays. I understand it works for very big numbers - how well does it work with "low" numbers like 8 or 9? Do you need a big crowd for it to shine?

Many players say the game shines once you have more than 10 players. However, there are unforgettable evening to be had with just 6 players. The difference is that character selection is much more crucial when playing with fewer than 11 players.

So, the game still plays great with fewer players. In fact, even if you can't get the requisite 6 players, there is a game called "Dr. Boom" that comes with the game. This is a game for 2 - 5 players that also uses social deduction. You can check it out on BGG (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144333/dr-boom).

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
You'll all be happy to know I didn't spend 180 on Journey.

I spent 150 on Shadows of Brimstone :haw:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm absolutely amazed at the early bird price and availability on these Games and Gears boards, I couldn't make that much base terrain for that price if I tried

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 17, 2013

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Cocks Cable posted:

Still waiting to see some rules or game play videos. But so far it looks like its going to be a highly random dice fest.

I'm a huge fan of flying frog, but after Conquest of Planet Earth and Fortune & Glory, I'm super wary of jumping on board with anything they make without getting some more information and feedback.

Everything about that Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter absolutely appeals to me- and in a moment of weakness I almost decided to pledge a ridiculous amount for it. A western horror miniature/rpg game that didn't look to be as full of ridiculous cheesecake as Malifaux? Awesome.

I get a lot of Warhammer Quest vibes from it, for good or ill.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'd probably be in on Shadows of Brimstone in a heartbeat if it were being done by like, Z-Man or maybe FFG (though, as much as I like many of their games, they certainly don't have a 100% hit rate) or something, but I just can't trust Flying Frog sight unseen. It's certainly the right genre and the right theme for me.

Mona Lisa Overdrive
May 7, 2006
Calculus Enthusiast
Could you elaborate on this? I too am a sucker for the theme of Shadows of Brimstone but I've been waiting for some kind of indication that the rules won't be a complete letdown. I have never played a Flying Frog game before. What kind of problems have you had with them? If the rules are of the same quality as Arkham Horror, which is not asking too much I think, then it is a safe bet I can have fun with it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mona Lisa Overdrive posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I too am a sucker for the theme of Shadows of Brimstone but I've been waiting for some kind of indication that the rules won't be a complete letdown. I have never played a Flying Frog game before. What kind of problems have you had with them? If the rules are of the same quality as Arkham Horror, which is not asking too much I think, then it is a safe bet I can have fun with it.

I love Arkham Horror. I do not feel that Flying Frog's output lives up to that standard, and I think the general consensus here is that that's not exactly a high standard. In particular, the closest point of comparison would be A Touch of Evil, which has a similar theme of moving around the board working against some sort of evil force (in this case classic horror monsters rather than Lovecraftian menaces).

There's a couple of clever mechanics - there's a group of village elders who have secrets (assigned to them randomly each game) - sometimes that they're a capable ally with hidden powers, sometimes something irrelevant like infidelity, or that they're some form of traitor; also, big bads have their own individualized minion chart that's what spawns the monsters (or other effects). But there's also a lot of other stuff that's not great. You roll to move (with large parts of the board dead space), characters are only differentiated by fairly minor individual powers and slightly different stats (and only the combat stat seemed to be checked at all regularly), and instead of having encounters that reward you with loot out of separate decks (though there is a shop from which you can buy a few specific toys), you either have an encounter -or- you just get a piece of loot, with the encounters mostly being entirely bad for you. And the loot is mostly boring because it just gives you a stat bonus and that's it at least half the time.

My other big complaint was that the game really felt like it was designed for the competitive rules, with the cooperative version a lukewarm afterthought. The cards don't even reflect the existence of a cooperative version in their text anywhere. It does sound like Shadows over Brimstone shouldn't have that particular issue, though, since it sounds to be entirely coop-focused.

I also wasn't real fond of Last Night on Earth but I haven't played that in years so I can't recall my precise issues with it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

if I recall from the board game thread correctly, flying frog games aren't bad, it's just that some people like the mechanics, and other people don't. You'll find just as many people who love and hate LNoE.

That being said, since this game is already funded and the Kickstarter exclusives don't look all that special, I'd rather wait for reviews and the cheaper discount price I'll be able to get at retail before sinking money into it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

NTRabbit posted:

if I recall from the board game thread correctly, flying frog games aren't bad, it's just that some people like the mechanics, and other people don't. You'll find just as many people who love and hate LNoE.

That being said, since this game is already funded and the Kickstarter exclusives don't look all that special, I'd rather wait for reviews and the cheaper discount price I'll be able to get at retail before sinking money into it.

Last Night on Earth and A Touch of Evil are both pretty good games for their type. LNoE is actually one of my favourites to bring out, and A Touch of Evil rapidly surpassed Arkham Horror in my old group because it played faster, was lighter, and you got the same sort of story fun without massive set up/take down time.

I used to run A Touch of Evil co-op PBP games here, and it was really easy to have a lot of fun with them, building a story as you went, and just kind of getting into the theme. But the mechanics were really, really basic.

Their other games- I do not feel even live up to "good for the type of game it is" or the "fun to play" tests. I bought Conquest of Planet Earth and Fortune and Glory sight unseen when they came out in 2011, and regretted both purchases. I don't mind randomness in game mechanics, but there was very little "game" at all in CoPE in terms of decisions made by players. Fortune and Glory looked to be building upon A Touch of Evil, and brought some cool ideas to the table- but were horribly executed in what turns into a really unfun slog of a game where very little of anything matters. I think there is a SDSU episode on it that'll go into some more details, but I considered it a major flop.

Without seeing more about the mechanics, theres a real chance it'll probably be a Warhammer Quest-lite but more capricious and random.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

malkav11 posted:

I'd probably be in on Shadows of Brimstone in a heartbeat if it were being done by like, Z-Man or maybe FFG (though, as much as I like many of their games, they certainly don't have a 100% hit rate) or something, but I just can't trust Flying Frog sight unseen. It's certainly the right genre and the right theme for me.

I backed it for the genre, but right now I'm more interested in the minis than anything else. "Cuz I need more minis what with most of Bones I sitting there unpainted.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Without seeing more about the mechanics, theres a real chance it'll probably be a Warhammer Quest-lite but more capricious and random.

I never played Warhammer Quest, but my first ever game was Hero Quest, so I might like it? Might not either, which is why at this point I'd rather wait for reviews, and if the reviews are good I can probably get it a lot cheaper than $150 + $25 postage. Especially since there's a Dwarf King's Hold expansion plus reprint kickstarter coming up next year, and reading up suggests the first editions were good games let down by low quality components, and Mantic have upped their game a lot since then.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
At time of writing, Tianxia has about 16 hours left in its funding period. The final posted stretch goal at this point can be reached in one of two ways: achieve $35,000 (which is about $2300 away) or achieve 1000 backers (which is 38 away atm). The stretch goal in question is a fiction anthology (with stuff from John Rogers, Robin D. Laws, Allen Turner, and others), and if it gets achieved by backers, the $35,000 value may be converted to something else. Who knows.

Corporia is about $200 away from reaching its $7000 goal (down from $7500 originally). This is not a stretch goal, but it is a bonus goal on the way to funding. And yes, the designer did admit Camelot 3000 as an influence recently.

Mona Lisa Overdrive
May 7, 2006
Calculus Enthusiast
Thanks for the opinions. I am now resolved to not pledge and just wait and see what the finished product looks like in a year or so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gasperkun posted:

The stretch goal in question is a fiction anthology (with stuff from John Rogers, Robin D. Laws, Allen Turner, and others)

Don't forget Gareth-Michael Skarka :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Kai Tave posted:

It's not like he'll produce anything in time. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's hilarious that in the comments, even after replying to someone saying they weren't going to back anything GMS has a hand in with a big block of meandering word salad, Jack Norris still covers his rear end by saying "of course, if anyone doesn't get me their stuff in time we aren't delaying the anthology."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I wasn't even thinking of Far West at the time. I just don't want to indirectly give work to a huge rear end in a top hat.

I was also the only one who said poo poo about it, and just the once briefly, but Skarka's immediate whine was about how I was "grandstanding while spearheading the usual RPG.net crowd." Also he couldn't help but mention that I am some nobody that he'd never heard of.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kai Tave posted:

I keep trying to, but Gary haunts my dreams...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

I was also the only one who said poo poo about it, and just the once briefly, but Skarka's immediate whine was about how I was "grandstanding while spearheading the usual RPG.net crowd." Also he couldn't help but mention that I am some nobody that he'd never heard of.
If GMS put half the effort into releasing product as he does being an rear end on the internet, Far West would have been done at least a year ago.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
gently caress GMS. I just want Tianxia.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

dwarf74 posted:

gently caress GMS.

Fixed.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/azaroth42/conquering-corsairs-pirates-of-the-silver-seas arrived today and looks nice!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I just found out this is coming to KickStarter in December

http://www.heroquestclassic.com/

I really don't know what to think. It was my first proper board game, but if the re-release is just the same game, why would I want it when I still have the original right next to me this very second? On the other hand, if they change it too much, is it really HeroQuest anymore? Not to mention, while they have the rights to HeroQuest, will they still have the right to reference and have it set in the Warhammer world?

So conflicted :ohdear:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
And is it actually a good enough game to warrant purchase in this day and age? (I strongly suspect it isn't, despite my nostalgia.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

malkav11 posted:

And is it actually a good enough game to warrant purchase in this day and age? (I strongly suspect it isn't, despite my nostalgia.)

Having played it off-and-on over the past few years, I'd say it holds up just fine. I certainly favor its lighter, easier pickup and play over things like Descent or even that Ravenloft D&D boardgame from a few years back. I don't play enough modern board games to make any other comparisons, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I actually rediscovered heroquest a year or so ago when I was trying to create an RPG/Board Game hybrid for a quick party game and I found it surprisingly seemed to show a lot of promise as a board game. It lacks the complexity of a lot of modern board games...but then again it lacks the complexity of some modern board games.

• Locked thread