Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The people who make me mad are the ones who just turn on their parking lights. Like "whoa I'm such a pro-driver that I'm only gonna turn the parking lights on because it's just a little dark out there. Hurrr... I'm a good decision maker"

We have a lights on when wipers are on law here, but it doesn't do much good. Hey morons, when everything is gray so is your loving car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Harley Davidson is Hannah Montana for grown men

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Harley Davidson is Hannah Montana for grown men

That would make more sense if Hannah Montana weren't Hannah Montana for grown men now. :byodame:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thylacine posted:

The people who make me mad are the ones who just turn on their parking lights. Like "whoa I'm such a pro-driver that I'm only gonna turn the parking lights on because it's just a little dark out there. Hurrr... I'm a good decision maker"

We have a lights on when wipers are on law here, but it doesn't do much good. Hey morons, when everything is gray so is your loving car.

Actually speaking from my (albeit limited) four-wheeled experience at least some of those are going to be people who thought they'd turned the headlights on because the dash had lit up and the roads were brightly-lit enough for them not to notice.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

It's taught in QLD, Australia to do that, flick them on when it's a bit harder to see than normal. Personally I'm of the opinion that parking lights are completely useless, I either have my actual lights on or off. Parkers do turn on your rear lights though, I suppose.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually speaking from my (albeit limited) four-wheeled experience at least some of those are going to be people who thought they'd turned the headlights on because the dash had lit up and the roads were brightly-lit enough for them not to notice.

I actually got a kinda DUI when I was a kid because of this. My car had auto headlights and the road I was on was fully streetlit so I didn't notice I'd somewhere flicked off the main beams and was just running the parking lights. It was 3 AM in a college town over a holiday weekend so welp.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think in some countries the tradition is to drive with only the parking lights on roads with streetlights. I know Kuwaitis did that from experience. When I'm in the car, I'll tend to only use the parking lights during the day, if it's raining or whatnot. Maybe it's because my eyes are sensitive, but that wall of headlights on the highway at night for me is not fun.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MoraleHazard posted:

I think in some countries the tradition is to drive with only the parking lights on roads with streetlights. I know Kuwaitis did that from experience. When I'm in the car, I'll tend to only use the parking lights during the day, if it's raining or whatnot. Maybe it's because my eyes are sensitive, but that wall of headlights on the highway at night for me is not fun.

The Kuwaitis being most famous for traditionally driving on two wheels of their cars instead of their normal four...

You're eyes are sensitive, but also just look beneath the oncoming lights. Don't stare directly at them. :stare:

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

I have the same problem, it makes riding / driving at night awful, especially in the rain :(

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I thought my eyes were sensitive and got blinded as poo poo from oncoming lights but it turns out I have astigmatism and with corrective lenses night driving is no problem now.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Drifter posted:

The Kuwaitis being most famous for traditionally driving on two wheels of their cars instead of their normal four...

You're eyes are sensitive, but also just look beneath the oncoming lights. Don't stare directly at them. :stare:

Flow of traffic was 160kph in Kuwait. :stonk:

I've learned to look beneath the lights or on a very dark road I'll look at the yellow or white line to avoid staring at the lights. I think, for me at least, the sensitivity is the by-product of really good night vision. I have a hard time reconciling the very bright lights with the rest of the environment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm somewhat short-sighted and need glasses to drive (especially at night). The optometrist said that because my eyes are constantly set to the wrong focal point, bright points of light are projected diffusely and affect the 'contrast' of my vision, so I'm responding the way you would coming out a dark room into bright sunlight. Glasses go some way to fixing it but it still sucks.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I have perfect vision but I also take shitloads of nootropics. Colors and lights are enhanced dramatically so driving at night is a techno nightmare :lsd:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm gay so all I see is rainbows

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Xovaan posted:

I have perfect vision but I also take shitloads of nootropics. Colors and lights are enhanced dramatically so driving at night is a techno nightmare :lsd:

Off topic, but how do they work for you? I've been thinking of adding 30mg/day Noopept to my diet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Xovaan posted:

I had no idea what a nootropic was so I had to wiki it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

I don't think I've ever seen so many "citation needed" remarks in a single article before.

:stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
People will piss away money on what they want to, I guess. I just choose to do so on old motorcycles and a potential injury bill.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I worked with a mechanic once whose hobby was hookers. The way other people pour money into old bikes/cars, or sports, or RC models or boats or whatever the gently caress, this guy poured into hookers. He would get excited when x whorehouse had hired a couple of new girls, and was like the go-to encyclopaedia of prostitution-related knowledge in the greater Auckland region.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Off topic, but how do they work for you? I've been thinking of adding 30mg/day Noopept to my diet.

They vary for each person, but for me personally they're really (positively) intense and wonderful. But I'm also a late-diagnosed celiac so I was deficient in a lot of the nutrients that are responsible for many effects shared with nootropics that just come from eating a healthy diet (choline, carnitine, inositol, K, A, D, plus many more) but there's no denying the cognitive expansion that occurs with them. The best part is you can quit whenever you want and you're back to normal. :)

Nooptept is great, but if you wanna feel some Limitless poo poo go snag some Pramiracetam and try riding for a few hours. :madmax:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Xovaan posted:

They vary for each person, but for me personally they're really (positively) intense and wonderful. But I'm also a late-diagnosed celiac so I was deficient in a lot of the nutrients that are responsible for many effects shared with nootropics that just come from eating a healthy diet (choline, carnitine, inositol, K, A, D, plus many more) but there's no denying the cognitive expansion that occurs with them. The best part is you can quit whenever you want and you're back to normal. :)

Nooptept is great, but if you wanna feel some Limitless poo poo go snag some Pramiracetam and try riding for a few hours. :madmax:

Is that goon who used to sell nootropics still around? I bought something from him probably four years ago, then never used it.

I trust goon-made stuff way more than the amazon results for Noopept for some reason.

e. Literally the third thread in SA-Mart.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I had no idea what a nootropic was so I had to wiki it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

I don't think I've ever seen so many "citation needed" remarks in a single article before.

:stare:

I have an issue of Mondo 2000 you can read...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Xovaan posted:

Please elaborate. I'm interested in this stuff.

edit: Maybe by PM so as not to derail.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 15, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It assists in choline uptake, effectively helping with all facets of cognition. No withdrawal, no side effects outside of the normal "don't take this if you're prone to mental imbalance; mania, etc." Everybody I know takes it now (even my mom) and everyone loves the stuff. This is appropriate conversation here because it's a padded room (not just an echo chamber!) so I can sound as crazy as I want, damnit! :argh:

If you want the most immediate "will I like this" route to nootropics, go to Health Supplement Wholesalers, order a small bag of Aniracetam, mix it in with your coffee/water/jamba juice/whatever for a week then wonder how you ever lived without them. :madmax:

Topic: I don't like police. Stop trying to ticket me a week's 40-hour post-college income because you don't like A Thing about my bike/car/whatever. You're not upholding public safety, you're being a dick. Just because I have a car with Oregon plates does not mean I need to register it in California. That's what my other three cars and two motorcycles are registered in California for. Also, you're younger than me, and that's sad because I'm 24. Quit being the College Republican of law enforcement and go arrest some people creating victims.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Bugdrvr posted:

I thought my eyes were sensitive and got blinded as poo poo from oncoming lights but it turns out I have astigmatism and with corrective lenses night driving is no problem now.

I... am due a check up and will mention this, thanks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I... am due a check up and will mention this, thanks.

You don't need to mention the astigmatism; it's one of the things the optometrist checks for. But let them know about the night driving. People lose about half of a diopter of correction at night due to the pupil dilating, and some people get night driving glasses that are a tad stronger to compensate.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Clitch posted:

At least you get any lights at all. Lately, I've noticed a lot of people driving with absolutely no lighting in bad weather situations. Torrential downpours, and low light levels, but still idiots in duallies with zero lights on.

Yeah, Japanese drivers are really bad about this. If I do see a few cars coming the other way with their lights on, I know I'm in for some apocalyptic poo poo up ahead.

Slavvy posted:

I worked with a mechanic once whose hobby was hookers. The way other people pour money into old bikes/cars, or sports, or RC models or boats or whatever the gently caress, this guy poured into hookers. He would get excited when x whorehouse had hired a couple of new girls, and was like the go-to encyclopaedia of prostitution-related knowledge in the greater Auckland region.

Off topic, but my Kiwi friend describes his rural hometown of about 7,000 as "big enough to have a whorehouse, but not big enough for it to be a good idea" :v:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Off topic, but my Kiwi friend describes his rural hometown of about 7,000 as "big enough to have a whorehouse, but not big enough for it to be a good idea" :v:

One of our sibling islands is about that size, I've always described it as "The kind of place where they still point at aeroplanes", but I think I'll use the whorehouse one now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are towns in NZ that I think of as having a gene pool so shallow you could walk across it without wetting your ankles.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More like a gene puddle or a gene wet stain, then.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Protip: Watch On Any Sunday when you start feeling bored or something with riding

Protip 2: Don't watch On Any Sunday if you can't ride anytime soon

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Clitch posted:

At least you get any lights at all. Lately, I've noticed a lot of people driving with absolutely no lighting in bad weather situations. Torrential downpours, and low light levels, but still idiots in duallies with zero lights on. My 15 year old sedan has DRLs, but some rear end in a top hat in a late model bulldozer of a truck is pitch dark in inclement weather. Texas is so high on guns, I should be allowed to shoot people that stupid.

I've noticed that too in the past few weeks.
I'm not sure if it's just DST loving with daft people who would otherwise never be out at night, or if cold weather somehow kills both of your headlights.

Also gently caress every stupid truck with those ultra-bright headlights. It should be legal to take shots at those things with a pellet gun.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 24, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BMW SUV drivers are the loving worst. Today, a woman in an X5 tried to share the highway acceleration lane with me :psyduck: The acceleration lane is fed from two onramps that merge just as the lane starts; I was in the left one, ahead of her by about two car lengths, and she was in the right and behind. I kept to the left of the lane in order to prevent people merging into me from the highway. I passed the merge point, and just as I was just reaching freeway speed about halfway up the lane, I saw the nose of her car appear immediately to my right in my peripheral vision. She was literally beside me in the single acceleration lane, and going way beyond matching the highway speed -- she was still speeding up.

So, since I didn't feel like getting into a race with an idiot like that and I don't really have the power to extend and disengage safely anyway, I backed off a little bit, checked left, moved over and let her cut me off. She didn't signal to merge, didn't touch her brakes, didn't acknowledge my existence, kept on accelerating to I'd guess about 85 (the limit is 60). Five hundred feet down the road she slammed on her brakes and immediately started tailgating the car in front of her.

I hate BMW SUV drivers so much.

e: she had a baby on board tag in the window too

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Sagebrush posted:

BMW SUV drivers are the loving worst. Today, a woman in an X5 tried to share the highway acceleration lane with me :psyduck: The acceleration lane is fed from two onramps that merge just as the lane starts; I was in the left one, ahead of her by about two car lengths, and she was in the right and behind. I kept to the left of the lane in order to prevent people merging into me from the highway. I passed the merge point, and just as I was just reaching freeway speed about halfway up the lane, I saw the nose of her car appear immediately to my right in my peripheral vision. She was literally beside me in the single acceleration lane, and going way beyond matching the highway speed -- she was still speeding up.

So, since I didn't feel like getting into a race with an idiot like that and I don't really have the power to extend and disengage safely anyway, I backed off a little bit, checked left, moved over and let her cut me off. She didn't signal to merge, didn't touch her brakes, didn't acknowledge my existence, kept on accelerating to I'd guess about 85 (the limit is 60). Five hundred feet down the road she slammed on her brakes and immediately started tailgating the car in front of her.

I hate BMW SUV drivers so much.

e: she had a baby on board tag in the window too

For me it's been the Chrysler Pacifica. Less and less as years go by, but for a a while, every time I was forced off the road by someone merging on top of me, or making an errant left hand turn from the right lane, or wandering into my lane while going around a corner, it was a Chrysler Pacifica. I've grown to hate them on a visceral level.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you live in the Bay Area chances are a mom in a Toyota Sequoia has nearly killed you in the past 48 hours. I honestly think you should have to have a special permit to drive an SUV.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Chevy Avalanche. No, I don't care about your stories about Chrysler Pacificas and BMWs and Toyota Sequoias and Subaru Tribecas. When was the last time you can remember that you saw a Chevy Avalanche that wasn't doing something fucktarded? They're just so boring that you can't remember specific incidents; they meld together with normal memories of traffic, but each one was more harrowing than the last.

Chevy Avalanche: The Silent Killer.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Y'all have wierd names for cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hello, person who sticks their arm out while I'm lane splitting. Why do you do this? Do you think this will somehow intimidate or frighten me?

Mayhap, you think that if I ride into your outstretched arm, I'll be catapulted off the bike by your hulk-Hogan-like clothesline?

Or perhaps you think that my bike will run into your arm and be dramatically deflected into the air, with dire consequences for me?

No you dumb gently caress, what will happen is your flaccid meatstick will get shattered by a combined 280-odd kilos of bike and rider doing 60km/h. My course would barely be deflected at all. You dumb oval office.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yesterday I split up to a stoplight and ended up next to a guy in a nice old Datsun 240Z with a sweet sounding exhaust. I looked back at him, nodded, gave him a thumbs up. He stared back without blinking. Meh, I thought.

Light turned green, I took off, he took off as well and blew past me up to the next light. Stopped short as it turned red. I started to split up beside him again, and he saw me coming and turned to block the space. rear end. I went around to the other side that he had conveniently opened up instead. He wasn't having any of that motorcycle being beside him on either side though! So he started creeping forwards "anticipating" the green light. I looked over at the side street and noticed that when he started creeping, the pedestrian crossing still had six seconds left on it. In a bunch of stupid little creeps and brake-slams, he anticipated the light change so poorly that he entered the intersection with the light still red, and was stopped at least six feet over the line (blocking half a lane of cross traffic) by the time the light turned green. :psyduck:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You hit post before you finished the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You are like the lowest-content poster in this entire forum.