Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Swidgen! Cocksucka!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

For that matter, you can buy a lot of MoC's releases off their site for cheap - all are between $16-24 and apparently include free shipping even to the US.
http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/BD.html

Aw, it has the Ballad of Narayama remake in dual format, but it's Region B locked. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Trio of Paramount westerns coming from Warner on March 11:

Hatari! (1962, Howard Hawks)
Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957, John Sturges)
El Dorado (1966, Howard Hawks)

I haven't seen the two Howard Hawks/John Wayne films, but Gunfight is fantastic. Burt Lancaster as Wyatt Earp and Kirk Douglas as Doc Holiday. The Blu should be impressive since it was shot in VistaVision and Paramount's old DVD looks fantastic.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Friends: The Complete Series is the gold box of the day. $114.99, which is actually cheaper than it is on Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D19WBQ...NAWA2ZC96N5V04A

The Man Who No Name Trilogy - $16.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EYEF2S...0XCR9F8Q4RW9PQ8

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 12, 2013

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

As good as the price is, you can find the first two films together for $7 at Walmart. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is going to have a remastered edition in the near future at least in Europe. The current US Blu looks almost out of focus from the filtering. The other two, though, look and sound fantastic.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is going to have a remastered edition in the near future at least in Europe.

Oh yeah? Do you know who's doing it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh yeah? Do you know who's doing it?

MGM is releasing it in Germany sometime next year. There's rumors Criterion might have it in the US, but I think it might have been debunked already.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

As good as the price is, you can find the first two films together for $7 at Walmart. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is going to have a remastered edition in the near future at least in Europe. The current US Blu looks almost out of focus from the filtering. The other two, though, look and sound fantastic.

I think I posted this before but the remastered edition was released years ago in Italy.

- edit

Call Me Charlie posted:

I wouldn't bet on this. The Mondo restoration received a release in Italy years ago and it still hasn't hit American shores. Which is a shame since it blows the US release away.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think I posted this before but the remastered edition was released years ago in Italy.

- edit

The Italian version does use the proper unfiltered transfer, but it only has the Italian audio track. No English track or subtitles.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, but it's a Leone film, you don't need the words.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A bunch of $5 movies

The Yards/The Lookout - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TP5606...NY8019V1WJDARF0
Father Hood/Life With Mikey - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XAT12M...730ZBEP40H9X76N

Highlander - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQO3XS...Z47CBPQMJH576WZ
The Last Exorcism - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L20IF6...YMCHXS4TE9WB6CA
The Way Of The Gun - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NPY7EU...X7K5CV810Z82EES
The Boy In Striped Pajamas - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZG5F0K...J0VWRRRWWCF20NX
Adventureland - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SEUJVO...CKMTKSHJSBF0B5D
50 Dead Men Walking - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U2Q0F0...YF7EP14Z98E8QD4

Egbert Souse posted:

The Italian version does use the proper unfiltered transfer, but it only has the Italian audio track. No English track or subtitles.

Isn't there some type of script on AVS that syncs the English audio to the Italian video? But I guess that would require a Blu-Ray burner.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 13, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

On the Man of Steel blu ray there is, for some reason, a special feature about New Zealand and The Hobbit. A couple reviews mention it and how weird it is on there. Is this...like...a mistake? Did they put the wrong thing on the disc or something? Why the hell is it there?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheJoker138 posted:

On the Man of Steel blu ray there is, for some reason, a special feature about New Zealand and The Hobbit. A couple reviews mention it and how weird it is on there. Is this...like...a mistake? Did they put the wrong thing on the disc or something? Why the hell is it there?

They're both Warner titles.

Wouldn't you watch that featurette and go buy the Hobbit Blu-Ray? */warner exec*

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheJoker138 posted:

It's cross promotion.

Don't you want to buy The Hobbit now?

I want to buy The Hobbit now. Oh hey, there's a Man of Steel feature on The Hobbit. I already own that film, it's a good feature though... I'll buy a second copy.

Oh cool, a The Hobbit feature, I just bought that... Wait, did I? It's a good feature though, I'll order the Blu-ray.

Wow, a Man of Steel................

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

With Ip Man 1 and 2 being $7.50 today, I was wondering if anyone has heard of there being a "Director's Cut" version for Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster. Apparently the listing on Amazon is the Weinstein cut, which people have complained feeling like half a movie, so it would be pretty great to not get that.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

GrandpaPants posted:

With Ip Man 1 and 2 being $7.50 today, I was wondering if anyone has heard of there being a "Director's Cut" version for Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster. Apparently the listing on Amazon is the Weinstein cut, which people have complained feeling like half a movie, so it would be pretty great to not get that.

I think the Hong Kong BRD is region free, that's the 130 minute version.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

GrandpaPants posted:

This one has "Run Time: 130 minutes" in the details, which is what the WKW version clocked in at. Not sure if that means that it will include both cuts or what.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

zenintrude posted:

This one has "Run Time: 130 minutes" in the details, which is what the WKW version clocked in at. Not sure if that means that it will include both cuts or what.

That's the release he's talking about. Amazon says it says 130 minutes, blu-ray.com says 108 and Anchor Bay has no info on their site which is where the confusion comes from.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mentioned it last page but never got a response, but how is the EU Blu-ray for Aladdin? I was going to wait on importing, but it starting to look very likely it won't be out in the US until 2015, which his due to the fact it listed as a Diamond title and the next two entries are Jungle Book and Sleeping Beauty.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Rirse posted:

Sleeping Beauty

They're already releasing Sleeping Beauty again?

Is it a vault or a revolving door?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zenintrude posted:

They're already releasing Sleeping Beauty again?

Is it a vault or a revolving door?

From what I gather it's the vault release out next October. I guess they pushed it up to cross promote the Malficent movie. Wonder if I should sell my blu-ray for Sleeping Beauty before that comes out?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd expect the "new" Blu to be exactly the same except with a Maleficent trailer added.

The current edition is fine. It's sourced from the excellent 4K restoration, both a 7.1 remix and the original 4.0 mix, and lots of worthwhile extras. It even has the short Grand Canyon film that played before the feature in 1959 in HD.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd expect the "new" Blu to be exactly the same except with a Maleficent trailer added.

The current edition is fine. It's sourced from the excellent 4K restoration, both a 7.1 remix and the original 4.0 mix, and lots of worthwhile extras. It even has the short Grand Canyon film that played before the feature in 1959 in HD.

Yeah I am thinking it might be along the line of the Monster Inc release from last year. Where it just has a new feature or two, but picture quality is the same.

Plus it hard to improve the picture on that, as when I watched it last week it was just a very beautiful movie on blu-ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time is releasing David Lynch's Wild at Heart in 2014. They're also releasing the 1950 version of Born Yesterday (Sony) and La Bamba (Sony).

Feel free to thank me for saving you the agony of reading the three "guess the title" threads on Home Theater Forum.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time is releasing David Lynch's Wild at Heart in 2014. They're also releasing the 1950 version of Born Yesterday (Sony) and La Bamba (Sony).

Feel free to thank me for saving you the agony of reading the three "guess the title" threads on Home Theater Forum.

Thanks! Now tell Twilight Time to release movies I give a poo poo about.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Sheldrake posted:

Thanks! Now tell Twilight Time to release movies I give a poo poo about.

Why would you ever want them to do that?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time could release the remastered The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. :haw:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Why would you ever want them to do that?

Yeah no kidding Twilight Time sucks nads. You shouldn't want them anywhere near something you care about seeing released on blu.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Speaking of Sergio Leone, does anyone know if there are plans to bring Duck, You Sucker! to blu-ray?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Wild At Heart being a Twilight Time release is really vexing. I am vexed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

I've been following along just to torture myself. Worst "game" ever. That BPullen guy took that poo poo way too seriously, coming up with the most oblique "clues" you could ever imagine. You're not giving away the location of a pot of gold, rear end in a top hat, you're talking about future Blu-Ray releases from a not very good company.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

People that take Blu-ray as serious business are hilarious as gently caress though and I'm glad to have them around.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Rirse posted:

I mentioned it last page but never got a response, but how is the EU Blu-ray for Aladdin? I was going to wait on importing, but it starting to look very likely it won't be out in the US until 2015, which his due to the fact it listed as a Diamond title and the next two entries are Jungle Book and Sleeping Beauty.

I happened to watch this today. Absolutely no problems as far as I could see; a great release, audiovisually. The menu background is like a terrible Aladdin fan art though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

MGM is releasing it in Germany sometime next year. There's rumors Criterion might have it in the US, but I think it might have been debunked already.

I would kill for that, because I know they (unlike MGM to date) would release the 2:41 American cut. :argh:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time could release the remastered The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. :haw:

:(

Am I better off sticking with the DVD for the time being? Is it that bad?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'd actually stick with the DVD because it's one of those cases where the BD only has the Director's Cut, and the Director's Cut is worse than the theatrical. :mad:

See also: Amadeus

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For all of you folks who still have Blockbuster stores nearby, they're liquidating all of them starting today and going until they all get shuttered in early January. There's some pretty sweet deals to be had, and they're only going to get sweeter as they keep dropping the prices (but things will also get picked through the more you wait).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

For all of you folks who still have Blockbuster stores nearby, they're liquidating all of them starting today and going until they all get shuttered in early January. There's some pretty sweet deals to be had, and they're only going to get sweeter as they keep dropping the prices (but things will also get picked through the more you wait).
The one a few blocks from my house has a big sign in their window saying "STORE CLOSING (This Location Only)"

Not even close :haw:

I might have to check them out for some sweet Blu-Ray deals.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'd actually stick with the DVD because it's one of those cases where the BD only has the Director's Cut, and the Director's Cut is worse than the theatrical. :mad:

See also: Amadeus

I never thought I'd say this, but Directors cut had boobs, and those boobs made the story make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

those boobs made the story make more sense.

Don't they always?

• Locked thread