Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

DrPlump posted:

I just started this game I like how a tire iron and a baseball bat are considered weapons that a weapons dealer would sell.

You're gonna love the last melee weapon dealers sell in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Am I using the flamethrower wrong? It never seemed that OP. It does a fairly decent chunk of damage but devours ammo so fast it may as well not matter.

DO I hit them with a little puff then wait a bit before puffing them again?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
'til it goes click.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Am I using the flamethrower wrong? It never seemed that OP. It does a fairly decent chunk of damage but devours ammo so fast it may as well not matter.

DO I hit them with a little puff then wait a bit before puffing them again?

About a one-second puff turns most kindred into ash. If you're rolling a character with high obfuscate, you can literally turn invisible, walk in, flame one kindred and watch as the other one does absolutely nothing about his friend suddenly bursting into flames.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ProfessorCirno posted:

This had been my experience as well. A full tank of flamethrower fuel takes down about 1/4th of a final bosses health (at best) and is gone in a second or so.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

'til it goes click.

Jesus.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
The real protip is if you plan on using guns, use a clan with celerity and embrace the Matrix game that never was. Most boss fights I wrecked by using an uzi/aug with max celerity. You can unload your entire compliment of ammo while backpedaling and never get hit.

This is from around the hallowbrook hotel time, I think, it was a while ago. Auxpex active

There's really no stopping it.

Varjon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 17, 2013

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Hah, just restarted and had forgotten about the patient file of d. marsh: "Diagnosis: Frequent bouts of sexlexia."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

There are a few outcomes to that. You can kill him. You can convince him to stop. You can convince him to leave but do nothing to talk him out of everything, which technically completes things but your mission list will make fun of you. "You let a serial killer go free. Way to go."

It's a fun challenge for that fifth replay, seeing just how many monstrous outcomes you can manage without completely losing your humanity.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

McSpanky posted:

It's a fun challenge for that fifth replay, seeing just how many monstrous outcomes you can manage without completely losing your humanity.

Considering nothing happens when your humanity hits 0, change the challenge to "keep humanity at 0 for as long as possible".

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Speaking from experience, going on a murderous rampage that kills all the cops and innocents you can possibly manage to slaughter in about twenty to thirty minutes only brings you down to Humanity 1.

I thought that was pretty lame. I guess you need to take one of the particular actions that will automatically trigger a humanity downgrade to actually hit Humanity 0.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Real challenge is getting your Masquerade to 1 and staying there as long as possible. Doesn't lower levels cause more enemies and hunters to spawn and attack? I've never actually done it since there's so many ways to refill it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
With a masquerade violation or two you'll find vampire hunters lurking in various places - back alleys in city hubs usually. They carry flaming torches which deal aggravated damage, but they're not awfully scary. They recognise you immediately and attack on sight, and sometimes spawn in pairs. More dangerous than cops, but not a huge problem.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I heard mention of a Beckett Library quest, which I've never played, so I imagine that means there's a new patch out since I played last and I'm about due for another playthrough! Tempted to try out Nosferatu because I've never played them but I was melee last time, so I might go Toreador, never played those either.

Even if the quest sucks, I don't really mind, I love Bloodlines so any excuse to replay it.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^The Library quest was actually added last November so yeah, it's definitely time for you to replay Bloodlines. It's not a very good quest, but it gives Beckett a bigger presence in the game which I think is pretty neat since he's an interesting character that you don't see all that much of which I think really diminishes the effect of his whole turnaround on the open/don't open Sarcophagus thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

double nine posted:

Considering nothing happens when your humanity hits 0, change the challenge to "keep humanity at 0 for as long as possible".

Huh, I never actually let my humanity hit 0 before, I took the game at face value that it'd be a pretty harsh complication. I think it's time for another replay!

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Never played the game, so I don't understand all those skills. What do wits, subterfuge, security, investigation and scholarship do?

Also I like the fact that the attributes are divided in physical mental and social. Seems like a fun idea.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^ They just affect in-game actions like lockpicking and hacking and etc. It's just that they're maxed barely a third into the game.

The library quest doesn't really give Beckett more presence. He emails you, you do a horrible quest, he emails a thank you. It's all around not-that-good.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 17, 2013

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Huh, I never actually let my humanity hit 0 before, I took the game at face value that it'd be a pretty harsh complication. I think it's time for another replay!

Well, nothing might be the wrong word. Here's the breakdown of humanity: if you kill a random innocent human in the streets, you lose humanity until you reach 3. After that going on random gta-style rampages doesn't drop your humanity anymore. To lower your humanity further you need to do quests where choosing a particular outcome means you lose humanity due to scripting. By doing this you can get to 0.

It should be noted that the player character does get different dialogue options depending on his/her humanity level. For example(kept as vague as possible) during the quest in the blood bank, a low-humanity player will blackmail the person we meet in the basement. A 5+ humanity player gets the choice whether (s)he wants to blackmail the person involved.

There are other quests where being low-humanity forces the player character to act in a monstrous fashion, where the high-humanity player gets a choice or, very sometimes, if you have max humanity you can't be an rear end in a top hat, even if you want to. As you lower humanity the dialogue options also get more and more eager for violence.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 17, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's pretty great, thanks for the info. I love games that really play up the extreme ends of their morality meters instead of just doing some cosmetic poo poo and changing the endings or whatever, sounds like that replay will really be worth it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Bastastic posted:

^^^^The Library quest was actually added last November so yeah, it's definitely time for you to replay Bloodlines. It's not a very good quest, but it gives Beckett a bigger presence in the game which I think is pretty neat since he's an interesting character that you don't see all that much of which I think really diminishes the effect of his whole turnaround on the open/don't open Sarcophagus thing.

Last I checked the library quest was only in the Wesp patch, not the Clan Quests Mod (which is quickly becoming the All Bloodlines Mods Mod), but supposedly a new version of Clan Quest is meant to come out soon-ish. I've not played it but as I understand it's a bit lacking in part because it's proof of concept more then anything else.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am worried I may be thinking "too human" while playing this game. When I walked past the lady at the hospital she called the police who started shooting at me. This seems a little extreme for such a minor criminal violation. At this point I ran away because of all the warnings about "humanity" and "masquerade violations" the game had just given me.

I was just trying to do the right thing and get my friend some pain killers. Was I supposed to just drink everyones blood and run around smashing police with baseball bat?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Go down the alley and come in the back door- you can pick a lock to get into the clinic area without having to pass the desk. Do be sure to talk to the guy in the leather jacket out front first.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
^^^ She's also fairly easy to persuade with several skills.

If you tried to go behind the desk at a hospital without permission they probably would in fact call security.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Never played the game, so I don't understand all those skills. What do wits, subterfuge, security, investigation and scholarship do?

Also I like the fact that the attributes are divided in physical mental and social. Seems like a fun idea.

Wits affects your defense score. Subterfuge I can't even remember because it's so useless I never put any dots in it. Security is for lockpicking, investigation will highlight collectible/interactable items in the world (useless if you've played the game as much as I have), and scholarship allows you to read skill books you find in the world, which is the most efficient way to train your stats. The screenshot I posted, as far as I know, is just about as minmaxed as it's possible to get in that build without cheating, and that's done through liberal use of skill books. Scholarship, hilariously, is the most important stat in the game.

Fun fact: 3 dex and 2 stealth will let you stealth past literally anything in the game that it's possible to stealth past. You don't need anything higher than that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Subterfuge combines with Appearance to make your Seduction rating, which is mostly used to persuade people that letting you have a little drink is a good idea.

Basically if you mouse over a stat it shows you which task or tasks (listed at the right) it boosts, and if you mouse over a task it'll show you both of the stats that feed it. So if you want to get better at something, mouseover it, and it'll show you the attribute and skill that feed it, so you can look at each and figure what the cheapest way to improve it is.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

DrPlump posted:

I am worried I may be thinking "too human" while playing this game. When I walked past the lady at the hospital she called the police who started shooting at me. This seems a little extreme for such a minor criminal violation. At this point I ran away because of all the warnings about "humanity" and "masquerade violations" the game had just given me.

I was just trying to do the right thing and get my friend some pain killers. Was I supposed to just drink everyones blood and run around smashing police with baseball bat?

That's what you get for cutting in line, jerk. :colbert:

Just waltzing past checkpoints or lockpicking doors will make people ornery. If you're going for a humanlike run, the best approach is to try talking to people first. Like that nice receptionist, for example. (Specifically, I think you can get past with a white lie about visiting a friend.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

Okay. Here's how you parse the screen. On the right-hand side you see a column of 'feats'. These are the only thing that matters for the game. For example, if you hack a level-4 difficulty computer the game will check against your hacking feat (here it's 8). Each feat is the sum of an attribute and an ability. Continuing with the hacking example: hacking (8) is the sum of Computer (3) and Wits (2). The reason hacking is actually 8 when it should only be 5 is the blue dots. Blue means a buff from somewhere, whether a magic item, a spell, armor,... In this case I assume it was a buff of auspex, which grants buffs to wits and perception.

There are only 2 things that are not a sum. Soak and Disciplines. Disciplines are spells, they go from 1 to 5. Soak is your damage reduction for the various kinds of damage. Stamina reduces bashing damage, all other damage reduction is due to armor or spells (or items).

I would note that ingame it's quite intuitive: when mousing over a feat, the corresponding attribute and ability are highlighted. Sadly this doesn't translate well to screenshots...

Below isn't really necessary info, but to give you a more complete explanation:

(first element is always the Attribute, second element always the Ability)

code:
Feats: 
 * Combat
    - Unarmed: Strength + Unarmed
    - Melee: Strength + Melee
    - Ranged: Perception + Firearms
    - Defense: Wits + Dodge

* Covert
    - Lockpicking: Dexterity + Lockpicking
    - Sneaking: Dexterity + Stealth
    - Hacking: Wits + Computer
    - Inspection: Perception + Investigation
    - Research: Intelligence + Scholarship

* Mental
    - Haggle: Manipulation + Finance
    - Intimidate: Intelligence + Intimidate
    - Persuasion: Charisma + Scholarship
    - Seduction: Appearance + Subterfuge

* Soak
    - Bashing: Stamina
    - Lethal: /
    - Aggrevated: /
Every skill costs xp, costs increasing every time. Attributes' cost is (iirc) 4 - 8 - 12 - 16 - 20 where Abilities are 3 - 6 - 9 - 12 - 15. And spells are 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25

Justified by the fact that many attributes increase 2 feats (dexterity, intelligence for example) and spells are powerful tools.

double nine fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 18, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

double nine posted:

I've had a character frenzy more often with 0 humanity, which is a annoying if you're not melee-focused.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

I've had a character frenzy more often with 0 humanity, which is a annoying if you're not melee-focused.
Yeah humanity is connected to frenzy. The less humanity you have the more chances you'll frenzy if your low on blood points, also the higher your humanity the less chances of frenzy if your low. So if your going to do a 0 humanity run for the love of god make sure you have your blood points topped up when you're out in public less you want to frenzy and kill all the NPC on the streets.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Man, I would kill just for a graphical update to this game, maybe some tweaked combat mechanics.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pope Guilty posted:

Go down the alley and come in the back door- you can pick a lock to get into the clinic area without having to pass the desk. Do be sure to talk to the guy in the leather jacket out front first.

Do you need to have lockpick to get through that area? I'm trying an all social as best I can run but there seems to be no way of doing the hospital without lockpick of 4 or so.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Do you need to have lockpick to get through that area? I'm trying an all social as best I can run but there seems to be no way of doing the hospital without lockpick of 4 or so.

What level is Blood Buff getting you to?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Talk to the receptionist, persuade your way through. Helps even more if you've got a point in mind control , or in computers.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went to the hospital and tried to talk to the lady. I guess I said the wrong thing and now everyone is dead and I drank all their blood. The police outside keep attacking me how do bullets sent me to final death?

Edit: This game is good at making you feel like vampire I am not even sure what happened I think it was the hunger.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

DrPlump posted:

I went to the hospital and tried to talk to the lady. I guess I said the wrong thing and now everyone is dead and I drank all their blood. The police outside keep attacking me how do bullets sent me to final death?

Edit: This game is good at making you feel like vampire I am not even sure what happened I think it was the hunger.
You got hit by a lot of them. Bullets and (most) melee weapons are considered 'bashing' damage in bloodlines, and will kill you if you eat enough damage. Early on in the game you are very squishy, so even a few cops plinking away at you with glocks can be a serious problem. What you should do if you piss off the cops is run and hide. Haul rear end out of the clinic (You need to be on the hub map, they'll wait forever if you're in a building) and go find a place to hide. Eventually the cops will give up and go away after not being able to find you for a few minutes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The sewers are a good hiding place.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're using Clan Quest, police will now enter the sewers to search for you aswell. That was a pretty nice touch that caught me by surprise.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am using the Base fan patch but not clan quest. The lady and the front desk kept freaking out and calling security when I talked to her no matter which option I selected. I went in through the back but "had" to drain 2 or 3 security/police and lost humanity for them. I already completed everything inside the hospital so as long as they will stop shooting eventually I should be fine.

Is there an easy way to navigate sewers it seems like it would be quicker and safer to move about the city through the sewers anyway. I have an SSD to the load screen is too fast to even read and not a consideration.

Edit: This game is a lot of fun but it is going to take me a long time to finish. I am a sperg for side quest and secrets so I am almost scared to play but it seems like it has a lot of depth even to the side quest. I also made some dying chick a vampire and didn't tell her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DrPlump posted:

I am using the Base fan patch but not clan quest. The lady and the front desk kept freaking out and calling security when I talked to her no matter which option I selected. I went in through the back but "had" to drain 2 or 3 security/police and lost humanity for them. I already completed everything inside the hospital so as long as they will stop shooting eventually I should be fine.

Is there an easy way to navigate sewers it seems like it would be quicker and safer to move about the city through the sewers anyway. I have an SSD to the load screen is too fast to even read and not a consideration.

Edit: This game is a lot of fun but it is going to take me a long time to finish. I am a sperg for side quest and secrets so I am almost scared to play but it seems like it has a lot of depth even to the side quest. I also made some dying chick a vampire and didn't tell her.

Are you playing a Nosferatu, by chance?

• Locked thread