Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Do those moves like trick-or-treat change the secondary typing? If it's like that I guess type order would matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blackheart posted:

Do those moves like trick-or-treat change the secondary typing? If it's like that I guess type order would matter.

Trick-or-Treat adds Ghost to a pokemon so dual-typed pokemon become triple-typed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I got a Petilil from Wonder Trade and a 5 IV Marill! I'm so happy about the Petilil. I love this Poke so much. :')

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

noirstronaut posted:

I got a Petilil from Wonder Trade and a 5 IV Marill! I'm so happy about the Petilil. I love this Poke so much. :')
Liligant is the best non-starter Grass-type, end of discussion. :hf:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

Ludicolo. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

Ludicolo. :colbert:
Dancing Grass team. Ludicolo, Liligant. Who else?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Roserade, Bellossom, and Exeggutor have some choice words here. Also Breloom.

Also Shaymin.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dancing Grass team. Ludicolo, Liligant. Who else?

Maractus of course, and I guess Roserade counts?

e: Oh, and Bellossom.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 15, 2013

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Also Ludicolo is the best grass type.

Liligant is close second.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Trick-or-Treat adds Ghost to a pokemon so dual-typed pokemon become triple-typed.

I thought it was like Soak, Protean, and every other type changer, i.e Water/Ice becomes, simply, Ghost. Regardless of secondary typing./

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Classtoise posted:

I thought it was like Soak, Protean, and every other type changer, i.e Water/Ice becomes, simply, Ghost. Regardless of secondary typing./

Nope, just adds the type. It's interesting.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Classtoise posted:

Nope, Trick-or-Treat and Forest's Curse just add a third type to dual-types. It's kinda weird, but creates some interesting strategies.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I just wanted to enjoy my Petilil :psyduck:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

And you may do so, just as long as you understand that Lilligant is great but not as great as Ludicolo.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ludicolo is such a goofy looking motherfucker

I really like that a small change can make a crappy pokemon good, or just completely change a play style. Like adding skill link to Heracross for his Mega turns him into a dude who...well, uses attacks that Skill Link benefits

I'm sure people ITT could come up with a thousand ways to improve pokemon. Like "give <x> access to <y> and then it'd be awesome" or whatever. I just think it's cool.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

myron cope posted:

I'm sure people ITT could come up with a thousand ways to improve pokemon. Like "give <x> access to <y> and then it'd be awesome" or whatever. I just think it's cool.
It really is. Honestly, access to even a single move can completely salvage certain Pokemon. (Donphan and Rapid Spin, for example.) Alternatively, lack of a certain move can completely ruin certain Pokemon. (Furfrou's lack of reliable recovery makes it a much worse physical wall than it'd otherwise be.)

5er posted:

a new breeding rule is that babies inherit the balls their mothers were caught in. That's loving awesome.
:aaaaa:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I just got a Gible off GTS. It's level 1, met from the daycare couple, and yet has a timer ball. I thought it was hacked, but it spurred me into looking into it online, and sure enough, a new breeding rule is that babies inherit the balls their mothers were caught in. That's loving awesome.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

myron cope posted:

Give Lilligant Fiery Dance. And Ludicolo, while I'm at it. He'd never actually run it but it would be funny.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

5er posted:

I just got a Gible off GTS. It's level 1, met from the daycare couple, and yet has a timer ball. I thought it was hacked, but it spurred me into looking into it online, and sure enough, a new breeding rule is that babies inherit the balls their mothers were caught in. That's loving awesome.

My recent breeding spree of Squirtles netted me several boxes full of Squirtles in a Dive Ball. I also made sure I caught my first female Togepi in a Premier Ball. I'm all about that color matching

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What makes something 4x weak to something? Being a dual type and both types being weak to that thing, or is it just like "oh, this thing could obviously not stand up to this other thing"?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

What makes something 4x weak to something? Being a dual type and both types being weak to that thing, or is it just like "oh, this thing could obviously not stand up to this other thing"?

The former. Garchomp is 4x weak to Ice, because both Dragon and Ground are weak to Ice, so it does 4x base damage.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Both types being weak to that thing. Ground and Rock are both weak to water, so rock/ground types are extra weak to water.

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.
Hey guys, I got a couple nice zubats off wondertrade that I'm in the process of breeding. They're Jolly, have Infiltrator and nearly perfect IVs between the parents (all but SpATK) and have a bunch of egg moves already bred onto them. The babies have Brave Bird, Whirlwind, Quick Attack and Hypnosis. Are these workable? I'm thinking that Hypnosis might be a good choice for replacement, maybe with Toxic or some other poison move, maybe Quick Attack could be replaced too. I was thinking speed and attack EVs, and maybe Black Sludge to hold?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Emong posted:

So it's possible for stuff to have x6 weaknesses?
That is...odd, but neat.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
No one mentioned the majestic Sawsbuck. :(

edit: Has anyone tried Trick on a small Gourgeist? I'm thinking maybe that would be a cool thing it can do. Trick Will o Wisp Leech Seed Phantom Force?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Classtoise posted:

That is...odd, but neat.

x8 actually. Since Ghost type only has two weaknesses, both of which are only SE against tow things, Trick-or-Treat can't create any 8x weaknesses, but Forest's Curse can make a bunch of them.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Emong posted:

That is...odd, but neat.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LAY-ZX posted:

x8 actually. Since Ghost type only has two weaknesses, both of which are only SE against tow things, Trick-or-Treat can't create any 8x weaknesses, but Forest's Curse can make a bunch of them.

This makes me very sad that we didn't have any dual type moves besides Flying Press.

Grass/Water against a Ground/Rock? Nothing could survive that.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A Paras with dry skin has a X5 weakness to fire.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

The Bee posted:

This makes me very sad that we didn't have any dual type moves besides Flying Press.

Grass/Water against a Ground/Rock? Nothing could survive that.

Muddy Water should've been changed to water/ground. Scald into fire/water. There are plenty of moves that they just forgot to even consider making into dual type.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cancerianmoth posted:

Muddy Water should've been changed to water/ground. Scald into fire/water. There are plenty of moves that they just forgot to even consider making into dual type.

They probably didn't do that because of balance issues. Flying press doesn't double up on any weaknesses.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

cancerianmoth posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if dual-type moves become the new big thing next gen.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

FedoraDefender420 posted:

They probably didn't do that because of balance issues. Flying press doesn't double up on any weaknesses.

True, but we have moves that can cause 8x super effective damage now. Forest Curse on a Bug/Steel can easily be torn to shreds by even the weakest fire moves. It'd make Scizor in doubles a much weaker option, for example.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Do the highfalutin competitive types usually ban moves that cause confusion in their battles? I've had a lot of success using Drought Ninetails in doubles, setting up sunlight for his bulky partner and then stalling with Confuse Ray and Protect. I've had such absurd luck with it in some matches that I almost feel guilty, though I maintain that it's still less scummy than throwing three legendaries + Mega Charizard/Garchomp onto a team.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Huge Liability posted:

Do the highfalutin competitive types usually ban moves that cause confusion in their battles? I've had a lot of success using Drought Ninetails in doubles, setting up sunlight for his bulky partner and then stalling with Confuse Ray and Protect. I've such absurd luck with it in some matches.

No, because it's instantly curable by switching Pokemon and anyone who can't get around Confuse Ray spam is probably just bad.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I'm thinking of making an all ghost-buddy team. Would this be even remotely feasible in the competitive game? I've never really done the whole IV/EV training stuff, but I'm liking X/Y a lot so I may start getting into it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I only just decided to actually get into competitive battling in the cartridge so I have no worthwhile trade fodder, but does anyone have a semi-perfect Azurill they're willing to vend off to me?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

I'm thinking of making an all ghost-buddy team. Would this be even remotely feasible in the competitive game? I've never really done the whole IV/EV training stuff, but I'm liking X/Y a lot so I may start getting into it.

Mono-type teams have huge issues thanks to having common weaknesses across the whole team. Ghost types have a bit more secondary type diversity than most, but one Alakazam with Shadow Ball would still end all of them without trying.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LAY-ZX posted:

Mono-type teams have huge issues thanks to having common weaknesses across the whole team. Ghost types have a bit more secondary type diversity than most, but one Alakazam with Shadow Ball would still end all of them without trying.

Water and Electric are actually fairly good at the weakness angle. Electric has one innate weakness in ground and there are plenty of Electric types that can deal with the ground weakness with a secondary typing or levitate.

Water has two weaknesses in Electric and Grass, and there's a good number of Water/Ground types who can switch in to Electric moves at the cost of taking Grass moves at 4x, and there's Empoleon and Kingdra who can avoid being weak against grass. Lanturn and Rotom are also pretty cool when it comes to type coverage. And Tentacruel can take like 2-3 Thunderbolts anyway depending on who's hitting it.

Also Poison is a great defensive typing that also gets access to powerful offensive threats like Gengar and Nidoking.

Just don't be mono-ice.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 15, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LAY-ZX posted:

Half the fun of monotype teams is figuring out ways to handle such weaknesses though.

For that situation, a specially defensive Spiritomb could handle the Alakazam. It can take the Shadow Balls and threaten out/KO it with Sucker Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zoness posted:

Water and Electric are actually fairly good at the weakness angle. Electric has one innate weakness in ground and there are plenty of Electric types that can deal with the ground weakness with a secondary typing or levitate.

Water has two weaknesses in Electric and Grass, and there's a good number of Water/Ground types who can switch in to Electric moves at the cost of taking Grass moves at 4x, and there's Empoleon and Kingdra who can avoid being weak against grass. Lanturn and Rotom are also pretty cool when it comes to type coverage. And Tentacruel can take like 2-3 Thunderbolts anyway depending on who's hitting it.

Just don't be mono-ice.
Hey, even mono-ice has a single possibility: Hail Trick Room in Doubles. It makes Avalugg actually decent.

• Locked thread