Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

El Murguista posted:

What, has everyone already forgotten The Gang Saves the Day? That's easily the culmination of the entire series. For me, it toppled The Nightman Cometh from its #1 spot.

Whoa lets not go crazy here it's great, but not The Nightman Cometh great. Nothing is that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Honestly I don't really like anything to do with the Nightman stuff. I mean the episode wasn't really bad, but it certainly wasn't even close to the best one and I hate how it is half of what the show is known for and people go crazy over it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

shinymodem posted:

Frank just saying yes with more and more hate after everything Dennis said was my favorite part of the entire season, but yeah the rest of that episode was kind of bland.

"For a while I've been thinking that I hate karate, and, like, I hate Project Badass, and... I hate God..."
"Yes."

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

El Murguista posted:

What, has everyone already forgotten The Gang Saves the Day? That's easily the culmination of the entire series. For me, it toppled The Nightman Cometh from its #1 spot.

That one's actually my least favorite of this season by far. The biggest reason why I personally like Sunny has always been the interaction and dialogue between the characters, and this one had very little of it. Additionally, and similarly to "The Gang Gets Analyzed" from two seasons ago, I felt like it ramped up each character's traits to almost extreme degrees and reveled in it too much (e.g. Mac's into karate so they had a really long, drawn-out gratuitous fight scene which to me wasn't funny at all). That's kind of been an overall trend since season 7, I think.

That seems to be the case with Sunny, though, it's impossible to get a consensus on best or worst episodes or what was or wasn't funny. Overall this was a great season. It doesn't match their peak years (which I'd say were seasons 2-5) but I didn't expect ít to, and if they can keep up this level until the end I'll be very happy.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Glare Seethe posted:

Additionally, and similarly to "The Gang Gets Analyzed" from two seasons ago, I felt like it ramped up each character's traits to almost extreme degrees and reveled in it too much (e.g. Mac's into karate so they had a really long, drawn-out gratuitous fight scene which to me wasn't funny at all). That's kind of been an overall trend since season 7, I think.
I don't think you remember that episode as well as you think you do.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Glare Seethe posted:

That one's actually my least favorite of this season by far. The biggest reason why I personally like Sunny has always been the interaction and dialogue between the characters, and this one had very little of it. Additionally, and similarly to "The Gang Gets Analyzed" from two seasons ago, I felt like it ramped up each character's traits to almost extreme degrees and reveled in it too much (e.g. Mac's into karate so they had a really long, drawn-out gratuitous fight scene which to me wasn't funny at all). That's kind of been an overall trend since season 7, I think.

That seems to be the case with Sunny, though, it's impossible to get a consensus on best or worst episodes or what was or wasn't funny. Overall this was a great season. It doesn't match their peak years (which I'd say were seasons 2-5) but I didn't expect ít to, and if they can keep up this level until the end I'll be very happy.

I'm a fan of absurd stuff so that colors my perceptions. I'd agree that in season 6 and some of 7 and 8 there was a slump in funny.

This got me thinking, I wouldn't mind Frank becoming a supporting character. He's just not as funny as the rest of the crew. Don't get me wrong he's great when he's doing Rambo ("THEY DREW FIRST BLOOD!") but that's the only way to fit him into scenes and keep the laughs going. This has already happened in episodes like Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare and I think they were stronger for that. If Frank appeared once an episode from now on I'd be okay with that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

El Murguista posted:

I'm a fan of absurd stuff so that colors my perceptions. I'd agree that in season 6 and some of 7 and 8 there was a slump in funny.

This got me thinking, I wouldn't mind Frank becoming a supporting character. He's just not as funny as the rest of the crew. Don't get me wrong he's great when he's doing Rambo ("THEY DREW FIRST BLOOD!") but that's the only way to fit him into scenes and keep the laughs going. This has already happened in episodes like Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare and I think they were stronger for that. If Frank appeared once an episode from now on I'd be okay with that.

No. Frank needs to be part of the main cast for as long as the series goes on, or until Danny Devito dies.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

picosecond posted:

Can I make a gif request? During the scene in "Mac Day" where Dennis is talking about the things he hates because of Mac, the look on Sweet Dee's face make me laugh every time. Can I get an animated version of her slowly chewing while looking stoned? I will love the person who does this for me.

Not only is he like ruin...ing my life, but with all this god poo poo he's into, he could be ruining my afterlife.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 12, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite part is how quickly they jump on Country Mac's drinking problem and lack of a helmet after he dies.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Harry posted:

I don't think you remember that episode as well as you think you do.

You mean Saves the Day or Gets Analyzed? Definitely possible either way. I should probably rewatch both, I don't think I ever rewatched any of season 7 cause it was my least favorite.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Did anyone catch that little bit in the last episode with Dennis and his contract? About how he thinks that if he gets someone to sign a piece of paper, he can then legally do whatever he wants and they can't do anything about it?

How many girls do you think Dennis has tried to get to sign one of those?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

Didn't he try to get a bunch to sign one in the Storm of the Century episode?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn't he try to get a bunch to sign one in the Storm of the Century episode?

It was strongly implied.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Davros1 posted:

Did anyone catch that little bit in the last episode with Dennis and his contract? About how he thinks that if he gets someone to sign a piece of paper, he can then legally do whatever he wants and they can't do anything about it?

Doesn't matter if you eat the contract.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Now mind you that heretofore document had dry ink on it for at least many fork nights.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Glare Seethe posted:

You mean Saves the Day or Gets Analyzed? Definitely possible either way. I should probably rewatch both, I don't think I ever rewatched any of season 7 cause it was my least favorite.

Don't you mean season 8? 7 is the Fat Mac season, aka the best season.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Don't you mean season 8? 7 is the Fat Mac season, aka the best season.

Ah, you're right, I got that wrong. I did actually mean season 7 but I mistakenly put Analyzed in there as well, and that was season 8. Probably cause it was the one episode from 8 that I didn't like so I mentally assigned it to my least favorite season.

Fat Mac was very funny, though.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I don't think a season has gone by without having 2-3 episodes that are just all-timers for me or close to it (my list is hefty), so generally when debate comes up about 'worst' season, it's varied because it's honestly hard to find full seasons that were bad (or even mediocre, really).

It's been a remarkably consistent series.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I've had Kenny Loggins' "Playing with the Boys" stuck in my head for three days now thanks to the "Lethal Weapon 6" episode.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Wow, I honestly expected the mood in this thread to be very depressed. I'm clearly in the minority but I found this season to be extremely blah. It's strange, I loved many of the concepts, The Gang Saves the Day, Squashing their Beefs, Buying a Timeshare, Breaking Dee, are excellent, but I felt they had lousy execution. I'm not sure if it was intentional but time and again it felt like a SNL skit in that they didn't know where, how how, to end the episode. The Gang Saves the Day is probably the best example, the premise is great, and I can see how when they were writing the episode it all worked on paper, but the actual episode just felt like one 30 minute missed opportunity. Charlie's dream is the best part, for that brief five minute period the show comes to life, but the rest of it was really tired. Mac's fight sequence was too long and not very entertaining or funny, Dee's dream was literally already done in the first episode, Frank's was ok- I got a chuckle out of it, and Dennis' dream was more of the same. Yea, I know he's crazy and evil, and usually it's funny but this was just boring.

I did like the season long reveal that Mac truly is gay. I always felt like before they played up the gay aspects of his personality for pure laughs, but this season very literally declared him actually gay. It reminded me of the reveal of just how psychopathic Dennis is.

To each their own, but I didn't feel this season had any episode that will make the show's top 10 list.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I was rewatching "Mac's Banging The Waitress" from season 4 the other night, where Mac is making his Project: Badass videos, and Dennis and Charlie have this whole conversation about how the only reason he keeps making the videos and showing off is because he is gay and wants to bang the two of them. It's funny, I'd forgotten how matter of fact they were about it.

It's also interesting how perceptions of episodes can change over time. I'd always considered "Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life" to be one of the small handful of dud episodes in the show's run -- the main thing I remembered was the whole Sinbad/Rob Thomas bit going on for a really long time. The weirdness of that has grown on me, and I'd completely forgotten about the brilliant scene where Dee is spending the night at Charlie & Frank's, and Charlie is explaining to her how before bed, they need to eat cat food and huff glue to help them pass out and sleep through the yowling cats outside, and Charlie has this beautiful speech about "there's a reason I do the things that I do". Then Dee goes out in the hall, and when she comes back, Frank is sitting on the side of the bed, pissing into a jug. He just looks up at her and says "Occupado." A good episode.

Anyway I thought this past season was pretty good. "Gun Fever" and "The Gang Saves The Day" were kind of weak, but "Mac Day", "The Gang Broke Dee", and "Flowers For Charlie" are all excellent. "The Gang Buys A Timeshare" didn't impress me at first, but it's hard for me not to like an episode with a Rowdy Roddy Piper cameo and Frank stuck in a coil.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SpitztheGreat posted:

Wow, I honestly expected the mood in this thread to be very depressed. I'm clearly in the minority but I found this season to be extremely blah.

No, I completely agree. I'm sure a few episodes will get better with time, but with one exception, I don't think there were any classically good episodes this season. The exception is, of course, the awards episode. There isn't a single weak scene/joke in the whole episode and its probably the funniest Mac has ever been. I still laugh when I think about Mac jizzing in the drinks.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

SpitztheGreat posted:

Wow, I honestly expected the mood in this thread to be very depressed. I'm clearly in the minority but I found this season to be extremely blah. It's strange, I loved many of the concepts, The Gang Saves the Day, Squashing their Beefs, Buying a Timeshare, Breaking Dee, are excellent, but I felt they had lousy execution. I'm not sure if it was intentional but time and again it felt like a SNL skit in that they didn't know where, how how, to end the episode.
I've felt the same way about both this season and last. The gang seems more like caricatures than characters.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I just got to The Gang Saves the Day and ahahahaha has Mac always been gay? this is my favorite thing for the new season

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Irish Joe posted:

The exception is, of course, the awards episode. There isn't a single weak scene/joke in the whole episode and its probably the funniest Mac has ever been. I still laugh when I think about Mac jizzing in the drinks.

I still giggle when I think about Dee staring incredulously at Dennis while he says they're going to blast her with light to soften up some of those features, and then her only response is "I am into that." I have no idea why, but that line always gets me.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I think both sides are onto something in this argument: the characters have definitely gotten narrower and more ridiculous, but the show is still hilarious and worth watching. I also thought this season was really strong, though.

I guess the joke's on me!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

h_double posted:

...the brilliant scene where Dee is spending the night at Charlie & Frank's, and Charlie is explaining to her how before bed, they need to eat cat food and huff glue to help them pass out and sleep through the yowling cats outside...
The best part is after that long speech of the absolute absurd stuff you have to do, Frank rushes in to the room and does all the things matter of factly and goes to sleep.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW
I thought it was a great season, but I'm clearly in the minority about The Gang Saves the Day. For me, that and Gun Fever Too were the low points of the season. Same with the first half of The Gang Squashes their Beefs, but the second half more than made up for it.

Every episode had a fair share of funny moments though, I loved Mac and Charlie's gun vs. sword debate, and Frank's fantasy during The Gang Saves the Day was hilarious. Overall, I was not disappointed with this season. :shobon:

drunken officeparty posted:

Honestly I don't really like anything to do with the Nightman stuff. I mean the episode wasn't really bad, but it certainly wasn't even close to the best one and I hate how it is half of what the show is known for and people go crazy over it.

Yes. :stare:

mwells_cubed fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 15, 2013

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

DNova posted:

Not only is he like ruin...ing my life, but with all this god poo poo he's into, he could be ruining my afterlife.

I am now your biggest fan, forums poster DNova.

So, nine years and 105 episodes later, I can't help wondering: Are there any insane situations that the Gang hasn't either caused or been in yet? I can only think of a few and they'd probably be too expensive for a smaller network like FXX to produce.

Also, about their realization that they're all alcoholics and their decision not to do anything about it: Did that give anyone else a massively dark laugh? This show walks a fine line between dark and absurd but something about that scene shocked me. It's like, they're so loving depraved at this point that discovering they're alcoholics was just one more thing to add onto the pile. So they go ahead and just do their Boyz II Men practice, cuz hey whatever. This show has blown my mind with the crazy stuff they say and do, but that was the first time I really felt like I was staring into the abyss with them.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

picosecond posted:

So, nine years and 105 episodes later, I can't help wondering: Are there any insane situations that the Gang hasn't either caused or been in yet? I can only think of a few and they'd probably be too expensive for a smaller network like FXX to produce.

Seriously?

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

...yes? Why? Are you trying to say that there's plenty more depraved/silly situations they could find themselves in? Cuz I'm having trouble picturing them but maybe I just lack imagination.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

picosecond posted:

...yes? Why? Are you trying to say that there's plenty more depraved/silly situations they could find themselves in? Cuz I'm having trouble picturing them but maybe I just lack imagination.

Did you imagine the following 104 episodes after watching the pilot?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
At my wedding, I'm gonna see if my dance with my mom can be the Sunny Theme.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

picosecond posted:

I can't wrap my head around the small possibility that this is a thing that a real person said and actually believes. This is the kind of thought Charlie would have.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Waiting for the episode where Charlie actually gets cancer.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Waiting for the episode where Charlie actually gets cancer.

I'd say they'd recycle that plot for another sequel episode, but they already did in the episode where Charlie's mom gets cancer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Time for Dee to bang the Waitress, I guess.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

When Charlie's ghouls were mentioned in Mac Day I was hoping they'd dwell on the subject a bit longer. It's about time they expanded the little green ghoul mythos.

Real talk Cricket's sunken to Charlie's lifestyle (probably lower) so an episode where they team up, get weird, and solve Philly's cat problem or something would be great.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 17, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Irish Joe posted:

Time for Dee to bang the Waitress, I guess.

I had been hoping for this since Season 4 announced an episode "Mac is Banging the Waitress". I wanted it to be a joke that everyone in the gang, including Dee, has slept with the Waitress, except for Charlie. Alas, Mac never slept with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

VDay posted:

I can't wrap my head around the small possibility that this is a thing that a real person said and actually believes. This is the kind of thought Charlie would have.

Hey, Charlie wrote a musical and made it possible for spydars to talk to cats. I'll take it as a compliment.

But if you're being for real, then I don't get the complaint. The Gang has been in so many insane situations, how many more could they possibly get into? Without repeating themselves and still being airable, anyway. I mean, I guess they haven't been in a plane crash or an S&M orgy but they aren't going to either for obvious reasons. Personally, I just want to see Mac's dad one more time so we can find out he named his kid Ronald McDonald.