Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quincy80
Jul 3, 2012
So Wildbow started a forum game over on the Spacebattles forum last night.

It's an original fantasy setting, where the protagonist is a spirit/god who spent their power to create a fantasy race and is going about collecting their worship.
It's quest format, so people vote for the options they feel are best, majority wins. Of course, it's a role playing sub-forum on a Sci-fi debate forum so expect spergs and people who think they are a lot more intelligent than they actually are.

As a warning, expect to lose your faith in the democratic method. Also, the whole site runs like the server is on dial up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We have these on SA as well. It might be worth checking this out.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, just finished with Worm. Wow.

High point for me probably was the Travelers and Noelle arc. I don't think I've ever read a more tragic story. :(

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

DarkCrawler posted:

So, just finished with Worm. Wow.

High point for me probably was the Travelers and Noelle arc. I don't think I've ever read a more tragic story. :(

If you haven't already, you should check out the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

For some reason I can't listen to Royals by Lorde without thinking of Taylor.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but I haven't been thrilled with the (Undersiders more than the other) epilogue chapters. Partly I think it's overdoses of Wildbow's need to have cliffhangers last as long as possible; he seemed to rush to get to the end, and now is taking his time tying off the last few threads. I'd also like some actual insights into how the others felt and interpreted the climax of the story, rather than jumping to 6 months later without any reflection on their parts of how one of the most important events in the history of the species across multiple universes went down.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Velius posted:

I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but I haven't been thrilled with the (Undersiders more than the other) epilogue chapters. Partly I think it's overdoses of Wildbow's need to have cliffhangers last as long as possible; he seemed to rush to get to the end, and now is taking his time tying off the last few threads. I'd also like some actual insights into how the others felt and interpreted the climax of the story, rather than jumping to 6 months later without any reflection on their parts of how one of the most important events in the history of the species across multiple universes went down.

I think it's just that fact that the main character's arc has ended and it's been a little weird having an epilogue that is basically a long novella in length.

I basically feel like it would have made for a better story if Wildbow hadn't saved the Interludes for the end, the loose ends were tied up earlier, and we only got maybe 1 epilogue.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 16, 2013

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Velius posted:

I don't like the epilogue chapters thus far either (and I feel like each following one is worse). The atmosphere feels off, Wildbow's incessant need to troll is not mixing well with the more tightly written main chapters, and most of this stuff feels like it should either be its own separate novellas or one shots or a whole lot shorter. I do like some of the world building details but I don't need the whole other mess of unconnected mini-stories.

And similarly, I took would like to see reflection on the actual Scion fight in the aftermath rather than 6 months later, everyone's rebuilding.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 16, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm enjoying it just fine :colbert:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm kinda mixed on them. They feel less like epilouges and more like sequal hooks.

And really the only lingering question I give a drat about is, is Taylor alive or not? Which these chapters have been mercilessly teasing us about, which is kind of grueling.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
This chapter actually amused me with Teacher, Lung, Contessa, Ingenue, Satyr, and Marquise all being the dicks they are - some slightly more classy than others though - and Saint going the way of Trickster, lobotomized vegetable for Teacher. It felt more relevant and atmospheric than several of the others. This one and the first are probably the only ones that are fully interesting to me.

Sorry, Undersiders - but your plot needs to be more condensed together rather than slice of life chapters. Unfortunately, their positioning and actual plans as a group are probably tied up with Tattletale, who we haven't seen. The Double Ds felt a little too much like melodramatic pablum. All I needed there was to know that Colin did something and Dragon's back with a clearer understanding of what she actually got rid of and what shackles she's still under. The actual write up of that story felt too unconnected and seemed more like it should have been a separate one shot or novella.

^^ Edit: They basically are sequel hooks.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Another episode of "web serials other than Worm":

Ra update 22, Inferno, in which the Wheel Group is scared and some rather overt actions are taken.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I waited that whole chapter for "and then Dragon dropped through the roof drilled Teacher through the forehead with a laser and said "also Saint is dead too deal /w it" and it never happened, 0/10.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Katreus posted:

^^ Edit: They basically are sequel hooks.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding annoying about these epilogues. I was hoping for some Taylor closure and she's still been barely mentioned. This story / universe is well enough written that sequel hooks aren't really needed at all.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Fellwenner posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm finding annoying about these epilogues. I was hoping for some Taylor closure and she's still been barely mentioned. This story / universe is well enough written that sequel hooks aren't really needed at all.

They're bonus chapters written because readers paid for them and requested the characters we're seeing. You could probably drop them out of the story entirely and be fine (though we'll see after this last and official chapter that is coming up). I don't mind them, and I don't begrudge Wildbow paying some bills with this extra bit of character and world building. It may not be what I wanted to see in the epilogues, but I didn't drop $ on it to get a say so I'm not complaining. :cheeky:

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008
I've really enjoyed the Undersider epilogue chapters. They are providing a great deal of context and show how the people closest to Taylor have dealt with the aftermath of her actions and the new world order. Of course they don't spend a long time talking about what happened, no one wants to remember how the fight ended, only that it did. It was ugly, brutal, and very hard to deal with. She saved the world, so everyone technically owes her their continued existence, but she did it by committing one of the greatest abuses of power seen throughout the series. No one talks about it because no one wants to remember, they just want to move on.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Next chapter is the last epilogue one, right? If it isn't Tattletale and Grue chatting and reflecting on what went down, I'm gonna be pretty bummed about it.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Coca Koala posted:

Next chapter is the last epilogue one, right? If it isn't Tattletale and Grue chatting and reflecting on what went down, I'm gonna be pretty bummed about it.

From what I could tell from Wildbow in the comments, it looks like it's the last chapter. Sounded like it was shaping up to something.

I've enjoyed all the epilogues so far, minus the teacher one, not sure what it is that I dislike about it though.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Xemloth posted:

From what I could tell from Wildbow in the comments, it looks like it's the last chapter. Sounded like it was shaping up to something.

I've enjoyed all the epilogues so far, minus the teacher one, not sure what it is that I dislike about it though.

Pierson posted:

I waited that whole chapter for "and then Dragon dropped through the roof drilled Teacher through the forehead with a laser and said "also Saint is dead too deal /w it" and it never happened, 0/10.
This pretty much.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Also did we ever learn exactly what Ingenue's power is?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

She modifies powers of one person and it forms a similar sort of relationship as teacher has with his students.

Basically it's a more powerful of version of teacher's power that works on one person and builds a deeper mental bond.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also she or her power kind of drives them nuts and they end up doing terrible things. I think she went through 3 boyfriends before they caught her on the 4th.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Also she or her power kind of drives them nuts and they end up doing terrible things. I think she went through 3 boyfriends before they caught her on the 4th.

Teacher certainly implies that it's her fault, not her power's.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Darth Walrus posted:

Teacher certainly implies that it's her fault, not her power's.

It's also implied that guys who don't return her affection (ex boyfriends) go worse than her actual boyfriends, i.e. Chevalier is in danger?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I think that's just her threatening him since it's implied by teacher that the head fuckery goes both ways. She's obsessed with Chevalier too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I have to agree that this wasn't my favourite of the bonus epilogue chapters - that was probably Imp's. I thought there were supposed to be 8 coming though - we're only on 5 right now.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

I have to agree that this wasn't my favourite of the bonus epilogue chapters - that was probably Imp's. I thought there were supposed to be 8 coming though - we're only on 5 right now.

Watching people constantly get the number of epilogues wrong has been almost as much fun as some of the epilogues.

No, I'm kidding, I actually really liked all the epilogues. It's still been fun though.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

thespaceinvader posted:

Nope, just one more update left.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I must say I really liked Teachers epilogue. That dude is utterly surrounded by people who plan to gently caress him over, and he's way to arrogant to realize just how badly he's being set up right now.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I'm partway through a reread and in scarab 25.5 doctor mother says that cauldron knows a secret about teacher that he doesn't want revealed, did we find out what it is?

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
Possibly the Teacher/Saint connection? Though I don't remember when that comes to light.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Xemloth posted:

I'm partway through a reread and in scarab 25.5 doctor mother says that cauldron knows a secret about teacher that he doesn't want revealed, did we find out what it is?

Isn't it that there's no such thing as a mind control-free power up? Teacher likes to claim he'll undo the mind control after the debt is payed but leave the power. If it comes out that he can't, no one will come to him out of their own volition; that would be pretty annoying for Teacher.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm almost certain the last chapter is going to be a Tattletale one. Wildbow probably made these bonus chapters add up to the originally planned epilogue of Tattletale and Dragon killing the gently caress out of Teacher. Seriously, every single Undersider we saw has been put in touch with Tattletale/she's trying to get in touch with them. Her power lets her fill in the blanks, Contessa is working with Teacher and Contessa is the one that killed Taylor. Not to mention Dragon is now unshackled.

Teacher is loving dead Tuesday.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Happy Yeti posted:

Isn't it that there's no such thing as a mind control-free power up? Teacher likes to claim he'll undo the mind control after the debt is payed but leave the power. If it comes out that he can't, no one will come to him out of their own volition; that would be pretty annoying for Teacher.

Basically, when Taylor mind controlled him she learned that Teacher's control actually manifests in the form of irreversible mental damage, which he can then exploit to take control or ruin them.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Marquis, Lung, and Contessa are all at the very least planning to gently caress the guy over, tho it's very likely that Lung isn't actually "in" on any plans. Ingenue may or may not be "in" on the plans and ready to gently caress him over, and Satyr is basically loving impossible to read either way.

And I wouldn't at all be certain that Contessa killed Taylor, especially after one of the ends of this chapter that Wildbow edited into the current one, it was practically a straight line from a comedy act.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Question about the current chapter: who was the body inside the Simurgh's tube? Did I miss a line somewhere?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Question about the current chapter: who was the body inside the Simurgh's tube? Did I miss a line somewhere?

You didn't miss anything.

Best running guess is Eidolon.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

NecroMonster posted:

Marquis, Lung, and Contessa are all at the very least planning to gently caress the guy over...

Why would Contessa lie to Taylor about working with Teacher? I mean, it's not like Taylor was going to tell anyone either way.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

She's not lying about it, she's also not lying about deciding stuff on her own from then on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah, with Contessa, she's doing what she chose to. Teacher seems to be assuming she chose to work for him, but with her power, any kind of precognition pinball is possible.

• Locked thread