Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Rynoto posted:

Unfortunately that incident drove the coders to change it so that non-humans can't broadcast over radio. A sad, but glorious end.

Could you program the AI to recognize buttbors as human and override that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That would likely just affect the AI's behavior, not the actual in-the-code limitation on the radio system.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Soulex posted:

"Only buttbots are human" sounds like the best freeform law ever.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Soulex posted:

As far as I know, AI laws are just directives for the person playing the AI and don't actually change any game mechanics.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

quote:

HONK HONK butt HONK butt

Oh my god :allears: That's just perfect.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Magres posted:

As far as I know, AI laws are just directives for the person playing the AI and don't actually change any game mechanics.

Oh :ohdear:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

theshim posted:

This one? (I dunno about any pictures, though).

The Buttening is great, but my personal favourite remains DOOM PEEL!

Mystic Mongol posted:

You know you're top tier trollin' when they change game mechanics in response to your nonsense.

Amen to that

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

JustJeff88 posted:

The Buttening is great, but my personal favourite remains DOOM PEEL!
Yeah, basically everyone should just read through all of Angry Diplomat's posts in this thread, they're spectacular.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

You know you're top tier trollin' when they change game mechanics in response to your nonsense.

Like Starfleet Dental creating the infinite exploding ship loop at Starbase 1 in STO, and then learning we could invite opposite factions to our ships and slaughter them before they could get to the door to leave the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swB-CbSZZdw

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That arm waving dance animation is amazing :allears:

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

theshim posted:

This one? (I dunno about any pictures, though).

Someone recorded a voiced narration of this story: https://soundcloud.com/stephanosrex/honk-honk-butt

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
That right there is art. That guy did an art.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

DrMelon posted:

Someone recorded a voiced narration of this story: https://soundcloud.com/stephanosrex/honk-honk-butt
Oh snap StephanosRex did it? I have to listen to that, he's good.

e: my god it's the best thing

theshim fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 15, 2013

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Voyager I posted:

Try EVE Online, where you can literally trick someone into handing you everything they own and then walk away with no repercussions whatsoever and no restitution for your victims.

And by "try" I mean "read about". Don't play EVE.

Yeah EVE is pretty much the spiritual successor to UO in the grief department. But be ready to do math and be poo poo for a while.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mystic Mongol posted:

In WoW I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there wasn't someone who's sole purpose in game was to keep track of Goon Squad Horde and hotfix whatever nonsense they caused.

Kidnapping a flight master so no one could fly out of that point for an entire day? Hotfixed.
Winning a world PVP event in less then a minute by using clever and unused game mechanics? Hotfixed.
Using a quest bug to intially kill your own faction's auction house masters preventing your entire faction from using the auction house? Hotfixed.
Using that same quest bug to be the only group in the game to kill their own faction leader? Hotfixed.
Finding another quest bug to blow up a captured monster in a safe city and knocking people off the edge to their deaths. Hotfixed.

Miss those crazy bastards.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Winning a world PVP event in less then a minute by using clever and unused game mechanics? Hotfixed.
Using a quest bug to intially kill your own faction's auction house masters preventing your entire faction from using the auction house? Hotfixed.
Using that same quest bug to be the only group in the game to kill their own faction leader? Hotfixed.

Got links to any of these? Because they sound amazing.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

In WoW I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there wasn't someone who's sole purpose in game was to keep track of Goon Squad Horde and hotfix whatever nonsense they caused.

Not hard to figure out when that happens, because several thousand lifeless spergs will break their fingers chaining complaint submmissions until it gets rolled back or the devs/fixers tell them it's a one-off and to go gently caress themselves some manner of compensation is announced.

Just know that the current game industry lends itself to unfinished games being released, and that there's a happy hunting ground due to arrive in this new generation of games and consoles.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captain McStabbin posted:

The second two were a result of a quest that set you to a certain reputation with your own faction, allowing you to attack them. Not sure about the first and I'm sure somewhere in this thread is a more detailed explanation of those two.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Orv posted:

The second two were a result of a quest that set you to a certain reputation with your own faction, allowing you to attack them. Not sure about the first and I'm sure somewhere in this thread is a more detailed explanation of those two.

The other good use for that quest was cherry tapping battlemasters so they'd spam cleave and one shot everyone around them. The uncreative man's grief.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Anyone here remember the game America's Army?

Back when it launched early I had a lot of free time and got really good at it, enough that I was invited to a clan. We'd practice all the times on maps, running against one another, and got really good.

Then they came up with an update that screwed up how the graphics worked for ATI users. Basically they increased the draw distance for ATI users, but screwed up the fog drawing. Which meant on levels like The Bridge, which I was pretty good at any way with just iron sights, became this wonderful, wonderful game of "I SEE YOU! BANG! YOU'RE DEAD!"

There were several maps where you could see the spawn point of the other team from the right place without fog and with the ATI increased distance drawing. While people were dicking around, instead of running for cover, me and my team-mates could pick off half a team if they just stood there bullshitting around. If you managed to get the sniper rifle, you could half the people while they were running to ambush spots because you didn't have fog and your draw distance was nuts.

I can't remember the exact maps but there were 2 maps where you could nail the spawn the point with an M-203 if you sprinted up and fire spammed the 203. A desert one where you defended the house and it never failed that these 733t fucks always sprinted straight up the middle and would get hosed because the terrain was deceiving and it looked like you couldn't be seen from the house. The one with the radio towers and the hostages you could see them easily if you familiar with the map, leading to total wipeouts where the defending team took zero causalities.

This used to cause people to just loving rage. We didn't carry clan tags, so we just looked like random dudes.

Then we started posting map suggestions and tips, presenting certain points on the map as perfect defensive spots and sniper/M-203 spots. Most of them were legit tips, but there were a few that weren't. Now, if you knew where those were, and were in the correct spot on the map, you could see those people plainly. We seeded tons of threads with bogus advice on 'secret trails' and poo poo like that. Those spots were the best, because so many people believed them. Someone who was skilled the sniper rifle could kill the four people who used those spots in less than 30 seconds. Top it off with the dumbasses that ran out to recover weapons and you could slaughter most of a team. Another fun one was posting a 'secret trail' that LOOKED like it was viable, but about a 1/3 of the way down the person would fall to their death, BUT their avatar would stay put, going into a weapon reload animation, so sometimes you'd see half a team with all kinds of clan-names fall to their deaths and start screaming about HAX! in the dead people chat.

On the Refinery level there was a grate that overlooked the approach point for the people assaulting the refinery. With ATI cards you could be back a few 'feet' and had a slot straight through the geometry, which meant you could get up there with the SAW, look up and slowly turn till the geometry vanished, drop the barrel of the SAW down, and it was locked in place. No recoil. You could just slaughter a bunch of people when they ran through the gate. That was technically cheating, but gently caress it, it was still funny, since if you knew about it, you knew right where to hit with an M-203 or the SAW and you'd kill anyone trying to use the trick against you, which got them screaming in the dead channel.

Another trick was to bind the hand motion for STOP! with the verbal "HALT!" sound, meaning if someone surprised you you could hit that, and the majority of the time they'd pause for long enough for you to kill them. A few quick keybinds and you could get people to freeze up. People would spin the gently caress out and claim hacking and poo poo because they froze up at WAIT! DON'T SHOOT! and hand gestures.

The directional sound was great, and with a pair of good headphones you could get the directional sound to work great. (Lots of practice helped) This got you accused of hacking because you'd suddenly whip around kill someone trying to close in on you. HAX! On the Refinery you could hide in the ducts above the computer and just listen. When you heard the keyboard clicking you just tossed a grenade down there and back up, killing the people trying to use the computer. So many people swore we were using a hole in the geometry for that trick.

The best part is how people would rage once you got good at using iron sights on the M-16. Thanks to the physics you could kill what you could see if you had practiced. There was a ridge approach on one of the snow maps that came out after a year or so (One side started by the HEMMITS), and if you ran to the front of the HEMMITS you could go into the prone position, sight on the ridge, and you'd see little ants moving. You could kill anyone taking that ridge in a handful of shots. There was more than a few times we had matches last less then 2 minutes because the entire team took that ridgeline approach and we just slaughtered them with iron sights.

You had to qualify to do the SF maps (really drat simple) and the ability to use the medic bag, and other fun stuff, which meant you could spot the guys who took the game waaaay too seriously as part of their identities rather than a fun game that was challenging. Which meant if you mocked their ability to play on the SF maps they just lost their poo poo.

Why is this griefing?

People complained about us on the forums, bitched to the mods in PM's, accused us of using aimbots, all kinds of wild poo poo. Yeah, we used geometry now and then during the ATI card debacle, but that poo poo was patched out pretty quick and we quit it pretty quick when we noticed that we were getting followed by someone who seemed to bail after a match or two and figured out that we were being watched for aimbots and poo poo. We always laughed about it when we got killed (Has anyone seen my boots? Yeah, they're new, and have my feet in them!) and often congratulated the people who killed us, but to some people Fake Army Game is SERIOUS BUSINESS and these guys would just stroke the gently caress out when you tagged them right in the beginning. So we had a nice list of names on a private forum, and if any of them were spotted we'd get the rest of the clan and just spend the entire time hammering them until they logged off. We targeted a couple of clans, mainly ones who had this bullshit rear end ranking system and ladder bullshit going on. We'd post screenshots of their dead bodies on the forums in threads where they'd bragged about how badass they were with throwaway accounts. We'd mock their clans, and then just take our time to just rip them waaaay up.

Guys with SF or RANGER or DELTA or SOCOM or SEAL in their tags, we'd follow them around the whole drat time, killing them by M-203 hits at the spawn point, sniper shots by running ahead, counting to 22, and firing just to the right of a certain tree with spaced shots and watch the kills rack up. Then laugh like hell at the screenshots of these guys with all the hardass tags screaming in the dead channel about how they were going to kill us. Literally kill us. As in come to our house and kill us in their sleep because they were REAL LIFE SPECIAL FORCES! and poo poo like that.

If things were going slow and we really wanted to freak people out, one of the two of the clans ex-military females would mention she was a female, or worse yet, a former female soldier, and we'd watch the attempting trolling come in, and just target those guys ruthlessly because they provided the best comedy and screenshots of them just RAGING over the chat channels. Then we'd post those pics to the forum and watch the drama as they tried to defend calling people whores and loving sluts and worse and then screaming because they'd been shot in the face at the spawn point. I had the keybinds so whenever I fired my weapon it'd take a screenshot, meaning I got some wonderful shots of people getting shot in the back of the head from like 5 feet away and members of the clan posting screenshots of them raging that we used HAX! on them.

The best part was the when you'd combine the poo poo talking in the dead channel and the threats and the curses with the screenshots of when you killed them and then posted the screenshots on the forums, particularly when they bragged about how badass they were. Some guys screamed bloody murder because we'd search for their names and when they bragged we'd post screenshots of them getting fragged and screaming in the dead chats. Nothing like catching someone bragging about how they hadn't been killed in 20 matches and had a killcount in the dozens and posting a GIF of them getting killed like 50 times with the time/date on the frame. Getting called a human being noob camper when you're on defense and kill like 5 of the other team with the sniper rifle and watching the guys with the tags screaming always made my day.

We all got death threats all the time. People telling us that they were SF or Delta or a SEAL and they were going to totally blow up our houses and kill us and our whole families. People would get on my team, recognize my handle, and freak the gently caress out. I had people stalk me in game, watching to see how I cheated, and yell I was cheating when I'd spawn in, raise up the grenade launcher, count to 15, and fire, usually getting at least one person, poo poo like that. I even had my personal information posted on the official boards once, but they had found an old address from my first deployment at Hood when I lived in Copperass Cove.

And there were ALWAYS the guys who claimed to be former military that you could just wind right the gently caress up if they wouldn't stop talking poo poo. Most of it was just poo poo like calling guys who claimed to be Airborne Rangers!!! a 'dirt dart', or the SF guys 'snake eater', or calling anyone bragging about being hard-rear end infantry who killed a bunch of Iraqis 'line-slime' or '11Bullet Catcher" and Marines "jar heads" and poo poo like that.

Which made me realize that anyone packing a clan tag that made any kind of reference to Warhammer 40K or any military unit or any type of special forces was probably a complete disphit who melted right the gently caress down the minute you killed him six times in a row because he doesn't know how to play and has convinced himself that his basement dwelling 16 year old rear end is actually a Ranger. Don't get me wrong, not all clans are like this, we worked with some pretty cool ones, but the more tough sounding the name, the bigger babies they were.

This was all back like 2003-2007.

The tears were delicious.

I did some City of Heroes griefing (Some with GoonSquad, but a lot before), but my AA days were when I really did a lot. And FPS tears are more delicious than the long range stings and griefings of MMOs.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 15, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There's a lot of poo poo like that in World of Tanks, too - anyone with any reference to a military unit (especially German ones) is almost guaranteed to be awful at the game and generally an abominable human being.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Magres posted:

There's a lot of poo poo like that in World of Tanks, too - anyone with any reference to a military unit (especially German ones) is almost guaranteed to be awful at the game and generally an abominable human being.

I can attest to this. Also its easy as hell to piss off anyone called Rommel. Just open a game with "Rommel was a Nazi" and they'll spend most of the game typing about how he wasn't a Nazi, he was a good guy! Meanwhile their team collapses around them. This is especially useful if they're in a top tier tank.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Saying "Rommel was a war criminal" is one of my favorite things to do - it's low effort and kind of uncreative, but god drat you wouldn't believe some of the pissing matches I've seen it cause for next to no effort.

Also anything about Barack HUSSEIN Obama will lure in dipshits pretty regularly if you want to troll the other end of the political spectrum.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm pretty sure you could shout "gently caress HITLER, HE WAS AN rear end in a top hat" in World of Tanks and get people yelling back over half the time.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Wait, so did the game automatically freeze you at the "HALT" or the hand gesture, or did they automatically just stop on reflex?

Because if its the former thats hilarious, if they did it to themselves then its even better.

ED: I think you can be said for any game that lets you play as Nazis. General rule is, anybody falling over themselves to play nazis is an edgy teen or some kind of fetishist.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

MinistryofLard posted:

Wait, so did the game automatically freeze you at the "HALT" or the hand gesture, or did they automatically just stop on reflex?

Because if its the former thats hilarious, if they did it to themselves then its even better.

ED: I think you can be said for any game that lets you play as Nazis. General rule is, anybody falling over themselves to play nazis is an edgy teen or some kind of fetishist.

There was no on-screen notification that your target was hostile, other than wearing Russian gear and carrying an AK. In poor light or an intense fight, it was easy to make mistakes, and if a guy starts trying to wave you off, you may hesitate. The one time I didn't hesitate, it was a friendly(but gently caress that guy, he had just missed me with an RPG by like 2 inches, he needed killing anyway).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MinistryofLard posted:

I always played as Germans in games because I really liked the weapons and vehicles they made. They had really good designers and engineers. Shame about the whole nazi thing, but I tended to avoid any rear end in a top hat who had "SS" anywhere in their name. No one pretends to be an SS unit and isn't an actual nazi.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

MinistryofLard posted:

People stopped on reflex.

Cue the delicious tears.

Second Edit:

I just removed it since nobody would believe it anyway. I knew I shouldn't have posted it.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 15, 2013

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

50 Foot Ant posted:

Elaborate Plan

Jesus Christ that's an elaborate grief. :golfclap:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Was this before or after you slapped the guy who played in your Ravenloft Campaign that got you free stuff.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
gently caress ME I didn't check the username. 50 foot pile of horseshit!

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 15, 2013

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VanSandman posted:

That's not griefing, that's Internet justice.

That is not Internet Justice, its shitthatdidnthappen.txt right there.

Also, way to claim you defrauded the courts to troll people on the internet.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

LeJackal posted:

That is not Internet Justice, its shitthatdidnthappen.txt right there.

Also, way to claim you defrauded the courts to troll people on the internet.

It's 50 Foot Ant, did you expect any different/less?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

oldskool posted:

It's 50 Foot Ant, did you expect any different/less?

I'm a drat fool for not checking the username. I really loving hate that guy.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Edited out

Better?

Two things that should be pretty well remembered about griefing in Champions:

Taking the furniture and refusing to give it to anyone while roleplaying insect salesmen in Club Cryptic, which caused all kinds of drama on the official Cryptic forums.

Nicknaming roleplayers RPists, which turned into a banning offense to call roleplayers RPers or RPists on the official forums.

The fury and freakouts got so heavy people were screaming for anyone who was a Goon to be banned from the game for life, for Club Cryptic to be made a no power zone, for some of the RPers to be made mods with the ability to boot people from the game who interrupted anyone's RP in Club Cryptic.

Goons just kept stirring it up until some people were frothing at the mouth. The RPers and weirdos even started devoting time to following known Goonsquad members through the game to grief them and harass them.

The first year of Champions was golden for griefing.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 15, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wow there's nothing quite like investing money into a grief and then actually getting a return on that investment. I can't imagine the moderator discussion where they decided to ban the people calling out pedophiles and then do nothing about said pedophiles.

EDIT: Oh 50 foot ant, I see

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

DrMelon posted:

This is so wonderful.

50 Foot Ant posted:

The first year of Champions was golden for griefing.
I, too, fondly recall the Goonling antics and RPist drama. People would flip their poo poo because you were messing around in the designated RP ZONE and being so rude and disruptive just by picking up furniture or standing in the wrong place. :qq:

My favorite gimmick from Champions, though, was the Ultra Fighting Team Millenia Ranger one where we ran around as a Power Rangers knockoff group. Again, merely stepping into Club Caprice with a less-than-deadly-serious character was grounds for all kinds of poo poo-flipping, especially if you held impromptu workout sessions on the bar while shouting PSA advice about proper hygiene and healthy living.

The end of this video features Rangers hurling debris at the front door of the club; we were told off for that, too, as I recall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1l8dfqFv1s

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oh god the Power Rangers shtick is hilarious. I'm sure that quite a few of those RPers needed the advice too.

Although it does make me laugh that there is a super-serious RP community in a superhero game. Is it basically Dead Parents Origin Story x4 every day? All I know is that if I had superpowers IRL I would be dancing around with couches anyways.

VVVV Ah yes, the classical Loli Mary Sue

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 15, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is it basically Dead Parents Origin Story x4 every day?

This and a glut of half vampire half dragon half demon catgirls who are 1000 years old and look 12 who can punch holes in the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Captain McStabbin posted:

Here's the world pvp one listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm03136FTI4

Someone figured out that engineering bombs damaged the door to the keep for Wintergrasp, so they gathered up everyone with engineering, flew to the top of the keep before the battle started, and as soon as it did, they dropped down and spammed bombs on the door. The battle (which was once an hour) ended when the inner door went down.

• Locked thread