Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I am trying to figure out how to automate feeding a caliorametric burner from factorization. I tried using a golem with the "use" core, and no dice. Anyone how to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Serifina posted:

I think you missed the part of me not having a microphone. (I actually might somewhere, but I have no idea how bad it is.)
I've been debating making a real minecraft website that has actual tutorials for various mods and lists various ways to do various mod/vanilla things. That's not the only scope of the content I'd like to publish. Is there a centralized minecraft community news site? It's something I will probably never actually do, but it's something I think of from time to time.

I might also do videos, but I really don't get the minecraft community's obsession with videos. Direwolf videos are okay, but most of the videos I have to skip through are ridiculous. You'd think that if you are covering a mod with 40 blocks you'd maybe make an index that has what block is being reviewed at what time or something like that, but no one does that. A video is a drawn out way of telling me what I could have read or scanned in images in a fraction of the time.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Khorne posted:

I've been debating making a real minecraft website that has actual tutorials for various mods and lists various ways to do various mod/vanilla things. That's not the only scope of the content I'd like to publish. Is there a centralized minecraft community news site? It's something I will probably never actually do, but it's something I think of from time to time.

I might also do videos, but I really don't get the minecraft community's obsession with videos. Direwolf videos are okay, but most of the videos I have to skip through are ridiculous. You'd think that if you are covering a mod with 40 blocks you'd maybe make an index that has what block is being reviewed at what time or something like that, but no one does that. A video is a drawn out way of telling me what I could have read or scanned in images in a fraction of the time.

See, a text based tutorial/spotlight with interspersed videos where necessary is definitely something I could get behind/do.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
If all that is holding you back is a lack of microphone, maybe you can raise the funds via ad.fly links? [/minecraft community]

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Khorne posted:

Even worse is when a mod's entire and sole documentation is in video form.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

m2pt5 posted:

This is what turned me off of tech mods. Even worse than the weird and often counter-intuitive power systems and GUIs, having to watch a loving feature film every time you wanted to set up an engine is bullshit. Even worse if you don't like DW20, because your only other options are 13 year olds stumbling over every word or awful gimmick dudes.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

m2pt5 posted:

I mean, I'd hate to say it, but that's pretty much the entire internet at this point. Things that can be done in 3 minutes with text are now a 30 minute long video on youtube.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Eox posted:

This is what turned me off of tech mods. Even worse than the weird and often counter-intuitive power systems and GUIs, having to watch a loving feature film every time you wanted to set up an engine is bullshit. Even worse if you don't like DW20, because your only other options are 13 year olds stumbling over every word or awful gimmick dudes.

What if there was both a text spotlight (with images) and a video, both with the complete thing?

Skanky Burns posted:

If all that is holding you back is a lack of microphone, maybe you can raise the funds via ad.fly links? [/minecraft community]

Ugh. I do not like adfly. I don't get the minecraft community obsession with it, I really don't.

I really might have a headset, but if I remember right, it's a really cheap one. Getting a new one isn't actually THAT big a deal - i have a job and few bills, so it's not like I can't afford things once in a while.

The real problem is, honestly, my voice. I've got some problems with it that need some vocal therapy. I mean, something like this might help, but it might also be totally unwatchable because of awful voice. No idea how I would sound. That said, I'm willing to try, if it's a thing people really want to see.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Serifina posted:

What if there was both a text spotlight (with images) and a video, both with the complete thing?

This would be best, actually. If you collected them on a site it could eventually become something of a mod wiki

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Enzer posted:

Common complaints seem to be:

1) Annoying voice.
2) Annoying catch phrases used in every video.
3) Doesn't rehearse or rehearses badly, often stumbling over explaining poo poo, or hasn't bothered to fully read up on something so gets confused when something isn't working/gives out bad information.
4) Drama around his position in the MC community.
5) Is more long winded than my own forum posts.

I personally cannot stand him because he is the type of person I just want to grab by the shoulders, shake really hard, and scream "GET ON WITH IT!" at. :v:

I guess that's fair, though I don't really have a problem with his voice :v:

The video tutorial format is probably why I never bothered familiarizing myself with the 50+ mods I really want to try now and am currently struggling through at the moment, like Mekanism and Forestry.

Having to watch a 30 minute video to get info on the basics of a mod is mad, but there are about a hojillion wikis including FTB and Technics, as well as each mods own personal wiki, almost all of which will usually have crappy detail with almost no explanation for the mod mechanics.

I spent about a half hour looking up the Smelting Basin from TC, trying to find out how to drain it and after using both BC pipes and liquiducts, I figured out I could extract the molten metal from the top of the basin, which isn't ideal since the seared faucet needs to be above it. I certainly never learned this from any documentation or wikis.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Eox posted:

This would be best, actually. If you collected them on a site it could eventually become something of a mod wiki

Honestly, I'd need help with making a decent site. The last time I did any site design was back in the late '90s - things have changed just a bit since then! (WTF is CSS... :confused: )

I can easily do the writing, the images, the videos - I wouldn't produce them fast (maybe one a week, or every other week - I am employed, after all), but the videos would simply go on YouTube, and I'd need someone to help me build and maintain a site. It wouldn't be a totally complete wiki of anything either - some mods simply have far too much to go over in full detail even if I can figure it all out, and some do, actually (somehow) have good, complete (or nearly so) wikis or informational posts that I would not have any desire to duplicate. (An example of something I wouldn't want to do in "full" detail: Extra Bees - too gods-damned many bees to go over).

What I would focus on is primary features in detail, and basic features and uses of as much as possible. If it's something complicated enough, I might do it all in-depth, but it'd have to be a multi-part thing (most of the big tech mods, for example, or things like Thaumcraft). If people request more in-depth detail about something I've done, I'd revisit it and go over more advanced/detailed uses if at all possible.

And I'd definitely make both the video and the text be equally informative and helpful. I know how to do that, it's not hard for me, and I can definitely agree with people wanting a text version - videos are lengthy and kind of a pain in the rear end for just looking up one thing real quick.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Eox posted:

The FTB wiki has short videos about most blocks. It's a great resource. It even has videos for benign blocks that don't need a video. The technic wikis load really slow for me and there are separate wikis for separate technic mods so it is kind of terrible in comparison. The majority of the videos weren't made for the ftb wiki, but it's nice to have them collected in one place.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 15, 2013

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Clairetic posted:

For those who haven't checked out Opis yet and can stand Direwolf20:

[video type="youtube"]ir-qsafyH8w[video]

It's good to see the most inefficient machine is some forestry block that's not doing anything.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Actually me and my brother have been talking about doing some videos for Minecraft, as we share the same thought as alot of people here, which is "gently caress I don't want to watch this hour and 20 minute video of this idiot fooling around so i can find out how to make a nuclear reactor"

I was thinking we would make a longer video explaining the mod, how it all works together, all the machines, how are they crafted etc, and then out of that, cut out and edit 1-2 minute videos on specific blocks like the FTB wiki. The longer videos would be with some editing to cut out long repetitive things like placing the same block 80 times over, but keeping enough detail to explain the mod for someone who has no idea how to use it at all.

How much detail is too much detail? In the full explanation video I was going to have the game up while building the things, showing how it works, etc, whilst having a little whiteboard thing in the corner with the item recipes changing appropriately as I go. It would also have the recipes of the items within that (ie for making gold cable, instead of just saying "yeah it needs 3 ingots and 6 rubber in this pattern", we would show this is the recipe to make the rubber too, the ingot is made by smelting this ore.)

The gold cable is a simple example but I think it would be more useful when making tech parts that require items made from items made from other items eg. nuclear reactor heat exchangers. Is that too much detail and are we teaching people to suck eggs, or is it still useful?

I do like that FTB wiki very much and was also thinking about setting up a little wiki site with the videos tied to relevant articles (websites are a thing i do have experience of, it won't be very pretty but it will be a functional wiki)

The videos for most things we would just take turns in doing, but we figured the longer explanatory videos would probably feature both of us and switch between our monitors every now and then. Would having two people doing it, make it worse than one?

Also we have lovely British accents, so we won't sound like a wheezy 12 year old American kid.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
^^^^ This guy knows whats up.

You really shouldn't need voice, And if you really want, someone in the thread could provide voice. I think a set of short 4-10 second videos displayed on a wiki of some kind would be best. Short and to the point, start with a mostly finished build, open a chest with the items you need and a layout of the recipe. plop down the final blocks and turn on the machine/magic/pipe/whatever. Cut to a shot of it being used in your base/a massive mega project. Done.

Doesn't need voice, in fact, voice will only slow you down as you hop around on a chest explaining who you are, what you're building and the funny anecdote you have to share that has nothing to do with me opening up youtube in frustration looking for a solution to my modded meat liquefier that isn't working.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ahdinko posted:

How much detail is too much detail?

You could always just split the video up so that the beginning is the basics, with how to craft the block and an overview of what it does. Then after that, explanations of the fiddlier mechanics, tips and tricks. That way if someone just wants to know what it is they know they only have to watch the beginning instead of skipping around, and they can keep watching if they want to know more.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Dementedghost posted:

^^^^ This guy knows whats up.

You really shouldn't need voice, And if you really want, someone in the thread could provide voice. I think a set of short 4-10 second videos displayed on a wiki of some kind would be best. Short and to the point, start with a mostly finished build, open a chest with the items you need and a layout of the recipe. plop down the final blocks and turn on the machine/magic/pipe/whatever. Cut to a shot of it being used in your base/a massive mega project. Done.

Doesn't need voice, in fact, voice will only slow you down as you hop around on a chest explaining who you are, what you're building and the funny anecdote you have to share that has nothing to do with me opening up youtube in frustration looking for a solution to my modded meat liquefier that isn't working.

See that I think is too short.
Ive seen videos where they provide so little info, I might aswell not have watched it in the first place. They show you a picture of all the items required to build it, 80% of which I have no idea what they are because they're new mod items, and then they go click click click, at one point they pull out a tool which I also have no idea what it is and click two more times. Then its done, and I know nothing more about how the hell to build/fuel/operate that thing or what its purpose is

Videos based on a single block, I want to aim for no more than 2 minutes, ie. an electric engine.
Heres the recipe, i make it using the ingredients that i already have, i place it on the floor, here's the input side, heres the output side, here's the redstone signal etc, use this spanner to change the orientation, turn it on, here's me chaining 3 for more power too. If its a part of a larger machine, the machine is already there and whatever before I even start recording. Its everything you need to/can know about an electric engine, but in one short video.

Edit: So you guys reckon thats still too much for a short video?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 15, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

In terms of length, I don't even mind provided they provide a (detailed) directory so I don't have to watch 30 minutes and randomly skip to see if what I want to know is in there.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Showing recipes in videos is a waste of time. Nobody plays with mods without NEI, and if for some reason you REALLY have to look up a recipe there will probably be a wiki page somewhere that has it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I finished my road this morning! Actually one of the more satisfying things I've done in minecraft.

Start at this cool helix tower that I did not build.

I tried to put little shelters like this along the road so people had a bed and food.

I made a road up to glider point in case people didn't feel like taking the boring trek over the ocean.

These trees make nice bases

And finally you end up at this hermit goon base.

Here's the dynmap you can easily see the road from space.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Taffer posted:

Showing recipes in videos is a waste of time. Nobody plays with mods without NEI, and if for some reason you REALLY have to look up a recipe there will probably be a wiki page somewhere that has it.

Or look at how Wylker did it with a couple of his mod spotlights. Mentions that the recipe is up on the screen and then overlay it in one of the corners.

Also not all mods, particularly those that have their own crafting blocks, use NEI. See Thaumcraft 4 and making Warded Jars; I had to trial and error into finding the recipe for it based off of Thaumcraft 3's and the current recipe for node moving.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Sage Grimm posted:

Or look at how Wylker did it with a couple of his mod spotlights. Mentions that the recipe is up on the screen and then overlay it in one of the corners.

Also not all mods, particularly those that have their own crafting blocks, use NEI. See Thaumcraft 4 and making Warded Jars; I had to trial and error into finding the recipe for it based off of Thaumcraft 3's and the current recipe for node moving.

I'm 90% sure if you've researched it, it should be in the thaumicon.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Sage Grimm posted:

Thats exactly what i was planning to do with a little whiteboard thing that I can put images on, was that a good idea or not though?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

djw175 posted:

I'm 90% sure if you've researched it, it should be in the thaumicon.

I looked over the entirety of the Thaum' for an entry of warded jars yesterday and couldn't find it. Took a look at a research cheat sheet today and it's buried inside the entry for Essentia Distillation. So yeah, I guess I'm a dunce!

Ahdinko posted:

Thats exactly what i was planning to do with a little whiteboard thing that I can put images on, was that a good idea or not though?

It depends on how much use the whiteboard is going to have. Otherwise you would want it to fade away if it's not going to be used for a long period of time because it would otherwise distract watchers from activity in the center of the screen or cut down on the available display (depending on how you're displaying the whiteboard as either an inset piece or a separate component).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sir Lucius posted:

I finished my road this morning! Actually one of the more satisfying things I've done in minecraft.

drat, I had no idea you made that thing so extensive. I'll have to take a trek down goon Street to see where it goes. :v:

Hopefully I can make that helix tower look less like a giant dildo this weekend.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

How is that I'm playing on this server and haven't seen that tower yet?

Taffer posted:

Hopefully I can make that helix tower look less like a giant dildo this weekend.
Why on earth would you want to do a crazy thing like that?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

What on earth is that beam of light in the centre of the helix? A beacon?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think it's an MFR laser drill.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Sir Lucius posted:

I tried to put little shelters like this along the road so people had a bed and food.

I made a road up to glider point in case people didn't feel like taking the boring trek over the ocean.

These trees make nice bases

And finally you end up at this hermit goon base.

Here's the dynmap you can easily see the road from space.

This road was cool to see being built on Progress, slowly growing across the landscape. I actually found a supply hut or two and was wondering wtf till I saw you talking about it.

It's a shame it didn't pass by Ahdobotopia!

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Taffer posted:

Giant Helix Dildos? drat, looks like I need to hop on Progress this weekend.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
My friends and I recently started a private tekkit server, and while the options for machinery have been great (but still not as great as redpower 2 sadly), we feel very limited in our aesthetic choices. What are some mods that add stuff just for the sake of making interiors and exteriors look nice?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gentwise posted:

My friends and I recently started a private tekkit server, and while the options for machinery have been great (but still not as great as redpower 2 sadly), we feel very limited in our aesthetic choices. What are some mods that add stuff just for the sake of making interiors and exteriors look nice?

Try Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

wargames posted:

Yell at Wylker to make new videos.

Coming soon (tm)

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

wylker posted:

Coming soon (tm)

Sooner! :argh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sir Lucius posted:

drat. :stare: For some reason over half of those images just made me instantly think of Myst.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Those images make me actually want to play on that server because that stuff is awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

vibur posted:

How is that I'm playing on this server and haven't seen that tower yet?

Probably because I built it in a few hours yesterday as I was "working" from home. :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

wylker posted:

Coming soon (tm)

Get on the Gooncave.com ts so we can yell at you.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Sir Lucius posted:

I made a road

Yeah? well, I can make pretty stuff too!... kind of.

Of course I am like several hundred blocks north of the road so nobody will ever see it :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
What server are you guys on, and can people join it?

• Locked thread