Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

For reference's sake, here's the newly revamped Amanda Waller from DC's latest reboot.

Goddamn do I hate their redesigns. I'm just happy that Arrow seems to have retained her personality, if not her looks.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Are there any women in comics that do not have massive tits?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ded posted:

Not many, just as there are few men who are not good looking.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE

Narcissus1916 posted:

For reference's sake, here's the newly revamped Amanda Waller from DC's latest reboot.

Goddamn do I hate their redesigns. I'm just happy that Arrow seems to have retained her personality, if not her looks.

Is Kerry Washington playing Amanda Waller?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's worse that comic fans only care about how fat she is, by the way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

It's worse that comic fans only care about how fat she is, by the way.

It's not about how fat she is, it's just that she is being whitewashed completely away from the original for the sake of whatever. It's pretty rare to see a powerful, black, non-sexkitten woman in a role these days, especially a show like this. Plus, it adds to a character when you have a woman who literally has no sort of edge up in a boy's world beyond her dogged determination and expertise to fall back on. Comic included.

Even the woman who had Russian sex-time with Ollie, who was complaining about how hard it is being a woman in a man's world, could at least screw him in order to (potentially) try and manipulate him.

Maybe it's just jumping from one stereotype of a Big Black Woman to a sexy black woman in power or whatever, but, you know. :shrug:

At least she wasn't flirting with Diggle.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 14, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ded posted:

Barbara Gordon, I think. Maybe because she wouldn't be able to see her monitor.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

XboxPants posted:

How's Ollie's Russian? As someone who knows almost nothing about the language it sounds cool to me, but I'm sure it's far from perfect. Is it at least, like, not terrible? Glau supposedly has a good Russian accent, though it doesn't look like they're giving her a lot of chance to use it.
Terrible. Absolutely terrible. Glau's is - or at least in its brief appearances, was - slightly better. Nykl's is okay.

Eddain posted:

Very curious about his threat during the attempted double-cross, maybe he name-dropped someone big in the Russian mob (or maybe he has some fame in the mob)?

Nah - at least, that's not what it sounded like. He started it off saying something that sounded a whole lot like, "Yesli ti zastrelish moyevo druga..." - which means "if you shoot my friend" - and then turned somewhat incomprehensible but the gist I got was basically "you will all die."

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Diggle assumed H.I.V.E was an acronym because he's ex-military. :D

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

e: ^^^ Diggle knew it was an acronym because all the characters are really speaking in comic book speech bubbles. So when he said, "I only know the alias - it was Hive," what he really said and what Diggle actually heard was, "I only know the alias - H.I.V.E."

ded posted:

Uh, no. It is a biological fact that when women work out and train in martial arts, their tits go through a second round of puberty.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Habibi posted:

e: ^^^ Diggle knew it was an acronym because all the characters are really speaking in comic book speech bubbles. So when he said, "I only know the alias - it was Hive," what he really said and what Diggle actually heard was, "I only know the alias - H.I.V.E."

This is hilarious. When I do my next rewatch I am going to be imagining visible speech bubbles during every island angst scene.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If it's not a name from Greek mythology, it's an acronym, duh.

(Or both.)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
It should have cut to a Bing screen of "You have searched for 'H.I.V.E'. Did you mean 'Hive'?"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

It should have cut to a Bing screen of "You have searched for 'H.I.V.E'. Did you mean 'Hive'?"
I just loved that they had it take several seconds to come up with a search hit with a loading icon, because they had to end on a cliffhanger.

Just want I want in a search engine. :allears:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Felicity/Oliver jealousy angle isn't something I'm looking forward to. More Oliver/Isabella I am though. It seems like a great first look into Glau's character, and might end better than their failed shot at sticking Oliver with Huntress. At least in the acting department.

And anything that keeps Caity Lotz on screen works for me. Even if its knife after knife in Oliver's back.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I read the Isabel stuff this episode as she's trying to manipulate Ollie for whatever nefarious reasons are out there. I figure she knows something's up with Ollie and while she knows he's not simply a dumb playboy, she's not quite sure yet what he really is.

I'm going to take the opinion that she was following the 'what happens in Russia stays in Russia' mantra herself. People finding out she had a quickie with her business partner in Russia after having a few drinks with him wouldn't look good at the next board meeting. She's already let on that she knows something is up, just not the specifics of the something. I hope it stays that way for a bit so we can find out more about her before they flip the ally/villain switch.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DeclaredYuppie posted:

No for a second I thought that too and was like "drat that's a way to slip that drama into the show."

Hah, I thought it too - It's hilarious in retrospect - he sleeps with his ex-wife and then googles info about HIV, like he's afraid of STDs.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wolpertinger posted:

Hah, I thought it too - It's hilarious in retrospect - he sleeps with his ex-wife and then googles info about HIV, like he's afraid of STDs.

This is really loving funny. :)

Show is still firing on all cylinders for me. I don't even feel like the brief felicity drama was manufactured like I normally would. They've laid the groundwork pretty solidly that she is crushing super hard.

The one moment where I briefly was annoyed was when Roy wasn't told the reason for the breakup, but as usual, it resolved/paid off super fast.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

The Lord Bude posted:

They were wearing the exact same shoes though. I'm struggling with the idea that the show could show a shadowy figure, where the only thing you can see clearly is the distinctive shoes, and then focus on those exact same shoes again, only for it to be a coincidence. I think it's her.
Raises the question of why The Wall wanted to mess with China so badly though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

bbf2 posted:

Awesome show as always, but I really don't like the fact that they're starting to push this Oliver/Felicity relationship thing in the open and are actually going to make it a plot point now. It was fine when it was going on in the background, but the fact that its now a plot point makes me uneasy.

Honestly I wouldn't be so bothered by it if not for the fact that I learned that Felicity was supposed to just be a one-shot character who they brought back because the fans responded kindly to her. I mean bringing her back and into the Team Arrow fold is one thing since she has resulted in fun moments, and I was fine with the minor hints of stuff like her being attracted to him, but I really preferred that relationship to stay platonic overall and not impact the course of the story and character dynamics.
I know its okay to respond to strong fan feedback in some cases to improve the show but it just feels that by suddenly introducing an Oliver/Felicity romantic dynamic that they're altering their initial creative plans in order to cater to the idiots on Tumblr and fanfiction.net who are like "OMG I SHIP OLIVER/FELICITY SO HARD MY WHOLE ENJOYMENT OF THIS SHOW IS BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT THESE TWO CHARACTERS GET TOGETHER."

I mean I realize that this is a minor complaint and that the rest of the show totally kicks rear end and I love it, but it seems very clear to me that the creators of the show never had any intention of Oliver/Felicity ever being a thing, and I just really hate the idea that the creative vision of the showrunners (which has proven to be VERY entertaining and rewarding so far) is being compromised by them feeling like they have to cater to the needs of the obsessive internet shipping fandom people.

I mean if I didn't know that internet reaction was the only reason that led them to give Felicity a larger role and thought it was in their plans the entire time I wouldn't care at all and would trust them, but the fact that I know for a fact that all this Felicity/Oliver romance stuff is something that they didn't have in the plans at all and are only shoehorning in because they want to cater to obsessive "I SHIP THEM SO HARD" people on the internet kind of bothers me a lot.

It's really disingenuous to say she got a larger part solely because of fan reaction. Amell himself said that after his first shoot with her he called the producers to tell them how much fun the scene was and how much chemistry there was there. It was really obvious to everyone involved that her and her character would fit well into the show and she has. It's not like fans are inventing something that's not there, no one would ship Oliver/Felicity if their actors didn't have that chemistry that got her on the show.

Edit: Spelling.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 15, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

ded posted:

I remembered one! Aunt May. :smug:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like how they're introducing the ARGUS/HIVE/governmental superspy portion of the DCU through Diggle and the secret magic ninja assassins portion of the DCU through Sara and the island.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Habibi posted:

I remembered one! Aunt May. :smug:
You forgot Trouble

Also the way they are going with Diggle and Deadshot it seems that only one will survive.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 15, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

You forgot Trouble

Also the way they are going with Diggle and Deadshot it seems that only one will survive.

Stop posting comic panels that have nothing to do with Arrow.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I can't be the only one who saw the Felicity/Ollie thing coming from about the 3rd time she showed up on screen. It's a CW show, she's hot, he's hot, they have on-screen chemistry. Come on.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I had no problem with the Ollie/Felicity stuff. It seemed to show that Ollie was aware that Felicity has a crush but that he couldn't reciprocate. I get the feeling that he cares about her in a friend way not in a potential relationship way.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I can't be the only one who saw the Felicity/Ollie thing coming from about the 3rd time she showed up on screen. It's a CW show, she's hot, he's hot, they have on-screen chemistry. Come on.

Yeah I don't get the sperging out over it. Felicity has been drooling over Oliver since her first episode, and Oliver will basically screw anything that (a) has a vagina and (b) hasn't failed his city, and (b) was optional in the case of the Huntress, so it was a foregone conclusion that there was going to be *something* going on, and if anything it's impressive how much restraint a CW show had before starting to thrust, heh, the two of them together.

On top of that, it was the first time that Felicity made her feelings, if they could be called that, for Ollie explicit. She's been making eyes at him forever, we know she likes to watch him do one-handed pull-ups, and she is a Freudian slip machine around him, but the ultimate impression has - at least to me - always been one of attraction but not actual interest. Like he's so hot she acts like a teenager around him but that's sort of where it ends. So her reaction in this episode didn't strike me as some contrived CW drama ham-fistedly inserted into the show, but simply a revelation about the extent of Felicity's feelings toward Oliver, and one that very reasonably fits with what we've observed (or should have observed, unless you're blind) about her.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
In one of Amell's Q&As a fan asked him if anything was going to develop between Oliver and Felicity and he basically said, "He's an attractive guy, she's an attractive girl, things happen."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eddain posted:

In one of Amell's Q&As a fan asked him if anything was going to develop between Oliver and Felicity and he basically said, "He's an attractive guy, she's an attractive girl, things happen."

And at this point, isn't Felicity basically the only attractive woman Oliver has met that wasn't already dating / married to someone else and/or related to him whom he hasn't yet slept with? Things do happen.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Habibi posted:

And at this point, isn't Felicity basically the only attractive woman Oliver has met that wasn't already dating / married to someone else and/or related to him whom he hasn't yet slept with? Things do happen.

China White?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

"Honey what was it you said you had?"

*stares intensely at a Bing loading screen*

"Oh Shi-" *arrow screech music plays out*

Arrow is actually about the only vector for Windows product placement that doesn't instantly make me hate the product, which is funny considering how obvious they make it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eddain posted:

China White?

She's married to the mob Triad :colbert:

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Nope, now that he has half a face, he's officially Deathstroke. :black101:

This seems to keep coming up, and it really confuses me. Now granted I think the last time I actually paid attention to a comic with Deathstroke in it was the Perez/Wolfman NTT, but... since when does Slade have half a face?

Oh, and as far as Miracle goes, I knew it was the pre-cursor to Venom, but I didn't know it was based on Miraclo, that's kind of cool.

Thought the Isabel quickie was good. If it was a genuine thing that just happened because they sat down and had some drinks, even better. But if nothing else, it was a brilliant way to stagger the momentum of her growing suspicion and scrutiny, and buy himself some room to go pull Diggle out at the extraction point.

TyrantWD posted:

She seems to know that they are up to something, and that its best to just go with it and do some digging on her own than ask why Oliver, his assistant, and Diggle take jet off to Russia, never meet with their Moscow subsidiary, and then return with a strange woman, and a few cuts and bruises.

It would amuse to endlessly if, after observing that this is what they did, she came to the conclusion that Oliver, his assistant, and his black driver aren't dodgy people doing dodgy things but are in fact the most awesome, impulsive people in the world.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wolvorine posted:

This seems to keep coming up, and it really confuses me. Now granted I think the last time I actually paid attention to a comic with Deathstroke in it was the Perez/Wolfman NTT, but... since when does Slade have half a face?

Slade has always had a face, his eye on the other hand.

I'm tipping Ivo will find the Japanese super solider formula, Slade will be the test subject, face healed to a nice kiwi glow and he will become the Deathstroke we all know and love.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Spergy as hell, I realise, but the in time period they're talking about (i.e. the late 30s / early 40s) the Japanese weren't using foreign loan words - the drug would have been called Kiseki, not mirakuru. I get it, it's a way to make a clever Hourman reference (possibly because of the TV show they are developing?) but still...

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Arrow is actually about the only vector for Windows product placement that doesn't instantly make me hate the product, which is funny considering how obvious they make it.

I just find it refreshing to watch a show where everyone isn't using Apple products constantly.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

One note - Thin, young, sexy Amanda Waller had a recent appearance outside of the comics and Arrow, so yeah, it seems like the original design is not being used anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolvorine posted:

His mask is half and half, now he doesn't need the mask!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

DeclaredYuppie posted:

"Honey what was it you said you had?"

*stares intensely at a Bing loading screen*

"Oh Shi-" *arrow screech music plays out*

I made a dumb thing. Glad I wasn't alone though!

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that Isabel might be working for Waller? The setup of Waller telling Diggle that they know what Oliver is doing and then having Isabel getting closer to him just seems suspicious to me. So does the fact that she kind of deflected answering the question of why she was so interested in Queen Consolidated.

Also if that were the case it would open up Ollie and Felicity after all the fallout happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dreffen posted:

I made a dumb thing. Glad I wasn't alone though!

:golfclap: I can't stop laughing at this.

• Locked thread