Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Incidentally, the car's running zero front camber, which susprised me, I'd have thought there'd be at least a little bit of negative on it. Not really important for now, but I might get them to dial it in for me when I put some proper tyres on it.

That'll be your problem then. Maxing out the stock camber bolts really does make a big improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah. A good alignment goes a really long way toward improving how these cars handle and turn in. Really gets rid of the excessive understeer and gives you a lot more overall grip. I drive around with -2.5 degrees of camber up front plus an ALK and offset top mounts to bump up the caster. It's very, very well balanced but if you're not tracking/autoxing/driving on fun roads a lot you'll get a little bit of uneven wear. Just finished off my summer tires and they are at the wear bars across the tread with all the tread gone off the insides, so about an extra 3-4mm of wear over the life of the tires. Not terrible and worth it to me.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Yakattak posted:

On my 99 Maxima when it was below 30 F the clutch pedal felt gummy. My Subaru is pretty tactile but the cold wreaks havoc on how these cars feel/sound to be honest. If it acts like that when warm I'd be a little more concerned. I drive a Bugeye though so I'm not sure what newer gen drivers feel.

I've got a 2011 WRX, and the clutch feels gummy in the cold weather. Everything just turns to poo poo around 10 or 20 degrees F. It's a much less enjoyable driving experience.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

That'll be your problem then. Maxing out the stock camber bolts really does make a big improvement

jamal posted:

Yeah. A good alignment goes a really long way toward improving how these cars handle and turn in. Really gets rid of the excessive understeer and gives you a lot more overall grip. I drive around with -2.5 degrees of camber up front plus an ALK and offset top mounts to bump up the caster. It's very, very well balanced but if you're not tracking/autoxing/driving on fun roads a lot you'll get a little bit of uneven wear. Just finished off my summer tires and they are at the wear bars across the tread with all the tread gone off the insides, so about an extra 3-4mm of wear over the life of the tires. Not terrible and worth it to me.
Thanks guys, that sounds completely acceptable to me. Guy at the Subaru place was talking about -1° up front, but if more will be a benefit and the wear increase is minor, I'd be ok with going down that route when I get it set up. I still think I'll hold off for now, though - I haven't driven the car enough to get a proper feel for what I'd like to change, and if I were to spend money on mechanical improvements, I think brakes would be at the top of my list. I can see why people say these cars are a little underbraked, and my front discs are probably not far off replacement anyway. We'll see.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I usually recommend -1.5 to -2 up front and about -1 to -1.5 in the rear. More than that is a little excessive for a street car and -2 is about where uneven tire wear starts to become an issue. Also, if the bushings in the front end are not stiff/new and the toe isn't zeroed you will see a lot more camber wear.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Anybody need a good set of tires? I have a set of unmounted Blizzaks and my Pilot Super Sports on 18" EKM3s for sale on NASIOC. Both are 225/40/18 and drat near new.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2570921

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

goatse guy posted:

I've got a 2011 WRX, and the clutch feels gummy in the cold weather. Everything just turns to poo poo around 10 or 20 degrees F. It's a much less enjoyable driving experience.

Thanks! While I have only launched that car a couple of times ( less than 5 ) I was scared shitless that I may have managed to hurt that clutch.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

blindjoe posted:

Buy the kit from Function Auto (jamal). It has all the tensioners, idlers and water pump.

is it just funcionauto.com? I didn't see the kit on the site, should I just email him?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Dr.Caligari posted:

is it just funcionauto.com? I didn't see the kit on the site, should I just email him?

Email/Pm him. I think all the stuff I have bought from him has been just random non-listed stuff, he is a distributor for all things subaru (?)... Though Im sure he can clairify

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah basically that. Site needs a revamp and more stuff on it. Best way is to pm or email me. Peter@functionauto.com. I have a hard time competing with amazon and rockauto on the timing kits though.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

jamal posted:

I use the pinch points and rear diff as jack points. The plate under the front x-member is hard to get to unless you have a long low profile jack. A pad of some sort is a good idea if you don't want to mangle up your pinch welds.
And thanks. I successfully swapped wheels without breaking anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

Yeah basically that. Site needs a revamp and more stuff on it. Best way is to pm or email me. Peter@functionauto.com. I have a hard time competing with amazon and rockauto on the timing kits though.

Can you get kits for the ej20k also?

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So im looking at buying a set of rims for winter tires and it just so happens that a friend has a set of oem '04ish legacy gt rims laying around. He only wants $250 for em including the still useable winter tires on there. Not sure on what type of tires. Im fairly certain that the rims are 16x6.5". My question is this: will these rims clear the front brakes on my '13 wrx? Also whats the widest tire i can fit on these?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I'm thinking they should clear your brakes but the widest you could probably fit on those is maybe 215.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some 16s have clearance issues with 4pot brakes but that shouldn't be a problem on an 08+ unless they changed something. Do a test fit before you buy and check for interference by putting chalk on the inside of the spokes, then jiggling the wheel as you spin it to see if any gets on the caliper.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I can confirm they fit, I've got a set of Legacy snowflakes on the Baja that's running the 2010 WRX spindles and calipers. The calipers are the exact same tokico units as I had previously on the Baja which has the same brake setup as the Legacy.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong here (I probably am) but I was under the impression that from... 2011? or so on the offset had changed significantly on the WRX. Where things previously on a 6.5" wide wheel were around a +53 offset, the new ones are closer to +40 for the same width?

I agree that it's unlikely you'll have any issues with the brakes, but I think it moves the wheel center line significantly inward.

I would check your offsets and do the math first.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
As far as offset goes, from what i can find the 13 wrx should be 55.

si
Apr 26, 2004

TheFargate posted:

As far as offset goes, from what i can find the 13 wrx should be 55.

Here's what I see (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239019):

2011 WRX
Size: 17x8" (203.2mm width)
Offset: +53
(203.2 / 2) + 53 = 154.6mm width on the inside
48.6mm outside

1997-2004 Legacy GT
Size: 16x6.5" (165.1mm width)
Offset: +55
(165.1 / 2) + 55 = 137.55mm width on the inside,
27.55mm outside

Guess as long as it clears the brakes it so much narrower that it just can't really matter, even though the ratio shifts significantly inboard.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Can you get kits for the ej20k also?

Yep, timing stuff is all the same across turbo dohc engines for the most part. If you have the old style plunger tensioner (but I think they stopped using that around 96-97) I would have to get stuff piecemeal. A picture of the front of a 20k of the same year without timing covers would be helpful.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Jabberwocky posted:

Anybody need a good set of tires? I have a set of unmounted Blizzaks and my Pilot Super Sports on 18" EKM3s for sale on NASIOC. Both are 225/40/18 and drat near new.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2570921

Hey there SE KS dude!

Are the blizzaks overkill for Wichita?
I know last year had a bit of snow, but from what I understand that's kind of odd.

I've got a set of almost dead Yoko YK520's that need to go before winter hits, and I'm Debating Blizzaks or the Pilot Sport AS3's.

Opinions?

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

toplitzin posted:

Hey there SE KS dude!

Are the blizzaks overkill for Wichita?
I know last year had a bit of snow, but from what I understand that's kind of odd.

I've got a set of almost dead Yoko YK520's that need to go before winter hits, and I'm Debating Blizzaks or the Pilot Sport AS3's.

Opinions?

I loved the Blizzaks. They are more than we've needed in the last few years, but I wanted to run the PSSs in the summer, so I needed something cold weather, too. They're reasonably quiet for daily driving in the dry, too. That said, you may have a different experience if you have a car with some power, since I very much don't.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Picked up a 2001 Subaru Outback wagon today for $2500 with 113k miles. Was given a vehicle inspection report from a local Subaru dealership. The issues are as follows:

* Found wheel bearing(s) excessively noisy/worn/loose - Replace left front wheel bearing/hub assembly
* Found CV joint boot(s) torn/leaking - Replace right front outer CV joint boot
* Rear brake pads/shoes are 3 mm or less - Replace rear brake pads and replace rear brake rotors
* Found rack and pinion boot torn - Replace rack and pinion boots & perform four wheel alignment

Additional observations: Verified ABS light on (Need additional time to diagnose G sensor circuit) and verified check engine light on with code P0748 (Need additional time to diagnose transmission code).

I have a good friend who is a car mechanic and he said replacing the brake pads / rotors is something we could easily do. However, he is more concerned about replacing the wheel bearing/hub assembly, CV joint boot, rack & pinion boots, and the four wheel alignment. Does anyone here have experience working on a early 2000 Subaru Outback and working on the previously mentioned issues?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Busy Bee posted:

Picked up a 2001 Subaru Outback wagon today for $2500 with 113k miles. Was given a vehicle inspection report from a local Subaru dealership. The issues are as follows:

* Found wheel bearing(s) excessively noisy/worn/loose - Replace left front wheel bearing/hub assembly
* Found CV joint boot(s) torn/leaking - Replace right front outer CV joint boot
* Rear brake pads/shoes are 3 mm or less - Replace rear brake pads and replace rear brake rotors
* Found rack and pinion boot torn - Replace rack and pinion boots & perform four wheel alignment

Additional observations: Verified ABS light on (Need additional time to diagnose G sensor circuit) and verified check engine light on with code P0748 (Need additional time to diagnose transmission code).

I have a good friend who is a car mechanic and he said replacing the brake pads / rotors is something we could easily do. However, he is more concerned about replacing the wheel bearing/hub assembly, CV joint boot, rack & pinion boots, and the four wheel alignment. Does anyone here have experience working on a early 2000 Subaru Outback and working on the previously mentioned issues?

Wheel bearings are easy in the front, they come out as one unit, 4 bolts hold it in, they're accessible from behind. There's guides online.

Cv joint boot isn't too difficult, just a little messy. There are also guides online. If there isn't a lot of grease left or it's really contaminated it's probably a better idea to outright replace the axle.

Rack and pinion boot is going to be a pain, but doable while you have everything else going. It's going to be a lot of undoing a bunch of bolts until have enough clearance.

As for the other issues maybe some else can elaborate on them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Not on an 01. Have to press those out.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Huh, thought they didn't change anything for the front hubs between the 00-04 outback and 03-06 Baja. Guess I'm wrong. Really need to find my old hubs and take a good look, I swear I remember seeing bolts but parts diagrams and jamal are saying otherwise.

Edit: I wonder how much more it would be to get the entire housing vs just the bearing, might be cheaper to replace as a whole assembly (because you can do it on your own fairly easily) vs having a shop replacing the bearing alone (they're a pain in the rear end to do if you have to do them yourself, I ended up having to cut off the inner bearing race on my rear bearings since I couldn't find another way of getting it to separate from the hub)

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 15, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can't seem to find this anywhere, maybe someone here knows.

Is the 6-speed transmission out of the current Impreza the same one as the crappy cable-shift 6-speed from the last-gen Legacy where they've managed to somehow cram two gears outside the main case?

If that's the case I sure hope the new WRX they're announcing next week won't be the same.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is the 6-speed transmission out of the current Impreza the same one as the crappy cable-shift 6-speed from the last-gen Legacy where they've managed to somehow cram two gears outside the main case?

If that's the case I sure hope the new WRX they're announcing next week won't be the same.

Don't worry, it'll be CVT only.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yes.

And the baja has bolt in front bearings? I guess I better look at some parts diagrams.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Don't worry, it'll be CVT only.

How to destroy the enthusist market in one easy step.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Between the C&D Jan 2014 leak (Dropbox Link to a PDF) and Jalopnik's build sheet leak we know what the new WRX will be.

The only thing I'm bummed about is a lack of wagon or hatch, but perhaps it will show back up eventually.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Between the C&D Jan 2014 leak (Dropbox Link to a PDF) and Jalopnik's build sheet leak we know what the new WRX will be.

The only thing I'm bummed about is a lack of wagon or hatch, but perhaps it will show back up eventually.

What a boring looking car.

E: Aesthetically

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Wait what? They are really ARE doing a CVT WRX???? That was supposed to be a joke on my half....!

That's just loving retarded beyond belief, there's no such thing as a CVT worth being in any car, let alone a WRX. I never thought I'd say it but a traditional auto would be a mile better or the obvious auto choice a DSG.

Also reading the cheat sheet from Car and Driver I'm glad I havent waited like I thought I was going to.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 15, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The current (not WRX/STI) Impreza has a 5 speed.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

Wait what? They are really ARE doing a CVT WRX???? That was supposed to be a joke on my half....!

That's just loving retarded beyond belief, there's no such thing as a CVT worth being in any car, let alone a WRX. I never thought I'd say it but a traditional auto would be a mile better or the obvious auto choice a DSG.

Also reading the cheat sheet from Car and Driver I'm glad I havent waited like I thought I was going to.

MotorTrend, when they gave the new Forester XT "SUV of the Year," spoke pretty highly of the CVT actually.

Don't forget that two years after the model debuts they'll tweak it to meet some customer demands, they always do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yep, correct. And to answer what six speed it is.... it's cable-shift version of the six speed from the Forester. Which, correct me if I'm wrong only is behind the diesel engine? If that's the the one I'm thinking of, it's not exactly light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_u2TSARq8k

Might be worth seeing what Middleton thinks of it.

quote:

MotorTrend, when they gave the new Forester XT "SUV of the Year," spoke pretty highly of the CVT actually.

Well that's one lot of journos I wont believe a word of any more - It's plain loving terrible. ALL Subaru CVT's I've driven are repulsive poo poo, the XT one is no exception. The new XT full stop is a mere shadow of the bonkers maniac XT that came out in 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 15, 2013

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I've never driven a car with a CVT transmission.

What's so bad about it, and why's it such a big deal that it'll be in a WRX?

(I'm not worried - I have a '13 WRX!)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

BoyBlunder posted:

I've never driven a car with a CVT transmission.

What's so bad about it, and why's it such a big deal that it'll be in a WRX?

(I'm not worried - I have a '13 WRX!)

I've only driven a Dodge Caliber with CVT, so others maybe be different.... But have you ever driven a forklift?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The New WRX comes with a MT or a CVT. Your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

There's really no shifting. It's a strange feeling. I drove a 2012 Outback with the CVT as a rental. Went WOT without the paddle shifters and it just wasn't the same. With the paddle shifters it was okay.