Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Not really, it's continuous damage that has to either be blocked or just soaked. It's not super high damage per tick but unless the other guy has a defensive passive like Invulnerability or Unstoppable a whole bunch of it is just going straight into their health, all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Good run on the nemcon tonight, guys. I crashed out and didn't really want to come back :v:

Nereid's build is really, really stupid. I don't think I needed to block once for that entire dungeon.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Behold, the power of cuteness!

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I guess it wasn't the game's servers making GBS threads themselves, but my connection :smith:

Hopefully that Nemcon went well anyways.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah - I had connection problems as well, thus the not fighting Shadow Destroyer.

Irritating.

I seem to be able to play okay *except* when it is prime time evening in my time zone.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

James_Bonnell posted:

I seem to be able to play okay *except* when it is prime time evening in my time zone.

Sounds like a bandwidth issue with your ISP. People get home from work, fire up facebook and cat pictures, all of a sudden your pipeline to CO gets squeezed.

Does anyone know if there's a write-up/guide for the earth framework anywhere? I can't seem to find any discussion about it, or earth/fire synergies.

Also, came across an interesting thread today:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=114410

:v:

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, the odd thing is, it's only been happening for a few months. If I'd had a cable modem, old style, which WAS shared neighborhood bandwidth, that would make sense.

Although Verizon *does* keep trying to market the higher bandwidth FIOS to me - we've had FIOS for years so we're probably on the low end since I haven't modified our plan for years. It's *supposed* to not be a shared pipe...

Eh well, maybe I'll go ahead and upgrade. Been meaning to change things around with Verizon anyway.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

WarLocke posted:

Also, came across an interesting thread today:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=114410

:v:

Dammit, WarLocke! If you're going to link a big thread full of circlejerky outfit designs I made, at least link the new one! :mad:

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Bluh, why do you use Photobucket? That is terrible how can you just why because :bahgawd:

Serious: Looks like they're changing Vet Rewards for Liftimers. Get lifetime and you will get all vet unlocks immediately http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1029001

Still, that means paying for Lifetime at this stage in the game's life :v:

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
The only way that the Lifetime sub would be remotely interesting to me is if I never have to pay anything for this game again.

I'd get all the travel powers and costume unlocks then I would consider getting a lifetime sub.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

jerichojx posted:

The only way that the Lifetime sub would be remotely interesting to me is if I never have to pay anything for this game again.

I'd get all the travel powers and costume unlocks then I would consider getting a lifetime sub.

It gives you like $5 a month of cryptic points, so eventually you'd get basically everything for free. Eventually being the key word there.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hey, I'd be up for that if I also eventually pay $299 and get lifetime

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

It gives you like $5 a month of cryptic points, so eventually you'd get basically everything for free. Eventually being the key word there.

Only another year or so until it's paid for itself in Zen!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Presence turns out to be quite a good primary superstat for tanks:

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...4000nOG2Sr4438W

Name: Stardust

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Powers:
Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 17: Compassion
Level 20: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
Level 23: Circle of Arcane Power (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 29: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2)
Level 32: Masterful Dodge
Level 35: Rebirth
Level 38: Iniquity

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Presence Mastery (1/1)

This was mainly an experiment to make a proper TANK MAGE, so I went with Int to make Skarn's Bane cheaper to run, but she came out to be extremely robust - 686.6 offense (+46% base damage) and 343.5 defense (81% resist all). Ebon Sigils debuffs 39% damage per sigil. I went with all offense/defense on my items instead of crit or dodge, and the Repurpose perk translates into (214 * 0.2) +42.8% bonus healing, on top of whatever Compassion happens to have on me. I would have liked to take Circle of Primal Dominion but I couldn't afford a full run of Skarn's Bane without Arcane Circle. Overall I think this is "pretty good" but the Presence concept probably works somewhat better with Pre/Con/Dex and cheaper attacks. Knocks are my only problem and even then it's very rare that they'll actually kill me, Gravitar only got me once in the past couple of runs. Brickbusters remain a real pain in the rear end with whatever lovely debuffing poo poo they stick on you but I have Lightning Reflexes for those rare occasions where I feel threatened - even then I very rarely die.

My dodge/avoid are the baseline 60/80 for rank 3 Lightning Reflexes but with all the Defense I have and sigils and healing the character is still very robust. I think Lightning Reflexes will get more popular whenever they roll out the gear ratings nerf.

PS iniquity/conviction is pretty much all anybody ever needs for healing so for those occasions when I can't hold aggro (hey it happens) I can at least save the foo who decided they couldn't be bothered to block or take a detaunt.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 14, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Oh woah, dodge changes are coming in a lot sooner than expected then.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah. I did not expect that.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

UI:

- Added a Change Character button to the game menu that goes to the Character Select screen.

- Added a Sort button to the inventory and bank windows.

Game of the year, right here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The free retcon interests me most... I'm almost tempted to use it on my RNG character, just for the hell of it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Probably everyone's gonna need scuba gear and a wetsuit because the flood of tears will cover all. I'm still totally in favor of these changes, they really need to be done - if anything I don't think they go far ENOUGH, Quarry still has way more avoidance than I think it should at rank 3. A couple of my characters will be mildly less powerful than they were, but for most of them this set of changes will end up being a net buff.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Only characters made before 10/24 get retcons? That's kind of bogus. :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

With the final numbers, this isn't really a big nerf. Lightning Reflexes's "baseline" dodge got reduced from 60% to 50% at rank 3, but everything else got reduced even more, so with comparable gear and supporting power choices it has a clear advantage - not nearly as big as I think it should be, but oh well. Quarry, Night Warrior, Way of the Warrior are all still very robust, especially with Evasive Maneuvers and the new Fluidity block alternative. I don't think any passive but Lightning Reflexes can get you above 95% dodge (which if you think about it, holy poo poo) but the others will have to actually do things besides just attack continuously to have exceptional dodge/avoid. Well, except Lead Tempest/Shuriken Storm, those are still pretty broke.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Welp, looks like it's another :Cryptic: patch! :allears:

People are reporting costume slots, earned vet inventory slots and legacy travel powers disappearing upon logging in.

It's like they purposely did this to harvest maximum tears.

Oh, bonus :qq:

CO Forums posted:

You guys are destroying yourselves by telling CoX players to move on, alienating us.

You guys are destroying yourselves by asking for sledgehammer nerfs and getting it.

You guys are destroying yourselves by closing out anyones suggestion based on the game they played in the past, even when they tell you repeatedly they are not asking for a copy of the game

You guys are destroying yourselves by ENCOURAGING the neglect at large and not allowing for any conditions in this game for any truer variety of tactics.

And you ultimate destroy yourselves by making yourselves look bad.

Well, you guys get a negative image painted on yourselves.

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 14, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

isn't it awesome :allears:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I love when they say things like that inside the game's official forums, as though that's a place where prospective players will go to figure out if they want to play this game. :allears:

We'll see if they broke my veteran poo poo (preorder lifetime :shepface:) this evening...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I was afraid of stuff like that happening, so I haven't logged in (or even patched) yet. Gonna give it a day or so and then jump in.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Server's up.

e: They definitely did the Offense ratings adjustment, I'm not sure about crit rating.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 15, 2013

Isosceles Waffle
Jul 11, 2012
I've been looking to improve upon my existing PvE dodgetank (martial arts/melee and wind focus) and I guess now is as good a time as any what with the changes to dodge and a free retcon available. As it is, she's pretty survivable but only holds aggro with pretty much only the scrappiest of pubbie teams. Here's what I've got presently:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...O043Ugn3bkK0tak

Name: Taweret

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Accurate
Level 9: Impresario
Level 12: Acrobat
Level 15: Quick Recovery
Level 18: Amazing Stamina
Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
Level 1: Vicious Strikes
Level 1: Thundering Kicks (Floating Lotus Blossom, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 11: Wind Barrier (Rank 2)
Level 14: Rising Knee (Rank 2, Flowing Strikes)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Updraft
Level 23: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 26: Dragon Kick (Lashing Dragon Tail)
Level 29: Form of the Master (Storm's Eye Prana)
Level 32: Hurricane (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
Level 35: Masterful Dodge
Level 38: Open Palm Strike (Focused Chi Blast)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3, Versatility)
Level 35: Tornado Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Protector: Fortified Gear (1/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
Protector: Exhausting Strikes (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Aaaand what I'm planning to gently caress it up with:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...O043Ugn3bkK0tak

Super Stats:
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Accurate
Level 9: Impresario
Level 12: Acrobat
Level 15: Quick Recovery
Level 18: Amazing Stamina
Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
Level 1: Vicious Strikes
Level 6: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Mighty Leap (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
Level 11: Fluidity (Rank 2)
Level 14: Rising Knee (Rank 2, Flowing Strikes)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Updraft
Level 23: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 26: Dragon Kick (Lashing Dragon Tail)
Level 29: Form of the Master (Storm's Eye Prana)
Level 32: Hurricane (Rank 2)
Level 35: Masterful Dodge
Level 38: Open Palm Strike (Focused Chi Blast)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3, Versatility)
Level 35: Tornado Flight

Specializations:
Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)

Not sure what to take for my mastery, but I'm leaning towards Dexterity or Protector. Also not quite sure how Fluidity does in the long run yet, but I'm willing to give it a solid try as it's bound to be less annoying for other melee players to deal with than Wind Barrier is. Any windy power replacement for Hurricane is welcome too for the same reason (I'm guessing Whirlwind or Twister). I'm also considering switching out either of my secondary superstats (and corresponding talents) for Presence, granted that it decides to actually make me more threatening (which I know is buggy as poo poo since the release of the game).

Isosceles Waffle fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 15, 2013

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
You should consider Str PSS and Dex/Con SSS.

Brutality and Juggernaut is the bee's tits and gearing for Dex allows you sky high crit rate.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
They did the crit rating changes as well. My 41% crit guy was down to 35% (which is still perfectly fine).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

A couple of build questions:

1) How well does Backhand Chop work? Are all the bosses you'd want it against magically immune to it?

2) I'm rebuilding my Unarmed character (Man-Spider), considering making an LR/BCR tank. How hard should I stack Dodge/Avoid? I remember it being wise to diversify between multiple defense sources.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They took the server down last night around 0:00 Pacific. 110mb patch :toot:

I don't have strong opinions about gearing for dodge/avoid, personally I think Defense is a pretty good alternative (especially with Vindicator if you have a very high Offense). I haven't looked hard enough at exactly how much actual dodge/avoid you get now from ratings but I can tell you that Stardust (my presence/LR fairy tank) is extremely tough vs. anything that doesn't do oneshot-range damage. Gravitar can still kill her if she's unlucky/I miss a block but that's true of pretty much any character I can think of that isn't at 100% dodge all the time. That character's dodge is at 50/80 (the baseline) and is supported by 342 Defense, ebon sigils, and BCR/Conviction.

From what I understand, bosses are partially immune to interrupts, but it does work sometimes, even on Gravitar.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 15, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

A couple of build questions:

1) How well does Backhand Chop work? Are all the bosses you'd want it against magically immune to it?

2) I'm rebuilding my Unarmed character (Man-Spider), considering making an LR/BCR tank. How hard should I stack Dodge/Avoid? I remember it being wise to diversify between multiple defense sources.

All interrupts, including Backhand Chop, only have a chance to interrupt major targets. That's much better than most control moves, which just flat out fail. If you want to pay no heed to thematics and absolutely want to interrupt a boss, take Ice Cage + Advantage; it's an interrupt that's quickly activating, and has no cooldown.

It should also be noted that, internally, the chance for Backhand Chop to succeed is actually 100% - on normal targets. This is still way better than what some other powersets get (Power Gauntlet, at maximum charge - a long wait to finally fire it off - only maxes out at 83% chance to interrupt.)

The new dodge mechanics are all percentage based - which (as far as I can tell) means absolutely no diminishing returns. Therefore, stack everything. It's basically the opposite now, so you're either a defense-based character, or a dodge-based one.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 17, 2013

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bluhman posted:

The new dodge mechanics are all percentage based - which (as far as I can tell) means absolutely no diminishing returns. Therefore, stack everything. It's basically the opposite now, so you're either a defense-based character, or a dodge-based one.

Disappointing, but thematically sensible. Defiant Monk was SUCH a cool build. :allears:

Here's what I'm spitballing right now:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J003V723Ugt0tak

Name: Man-Spider

Super Stats:
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15:

Talents:
Level 1: One of Mind and Body
Level 6: Martial Focus
Level 9:
Level 12:
Level 15:
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers:
Level 1: Righteous Fists
Level 6: Crashing Wave Kick (Subtlety of the Tides)
Level 8: Dragon Kick
Level 11: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Form of the Master (Storm's Eye Prana)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Masterful Dodge
Level 23: Shuriken Storm (Floating Butterfly, Strong Arm, Challenging Strikes)
Level 26: Parry (Rank 2, The Elusive Monk)
Level 29: Toxic Nanites
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Scarab Tunneling (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Reactive Strikes (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
Mastery: Protector Mastery (1/1)

I like the double Fortified Gear + The Best Defense, I think that will cause my numbers to be senselessly high. I kind of wanted to do Wardicator (and then combo TBD + AS with Tenacious, for extra bonus numberwang), but I really want Defensive Expertise to further abuse BCR.

Not sure what other superstat to take, or what trait-only stat to add.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BCR is not an active defense, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't benefit from Defensive Expertise. However you're going to have very short cooldowns for BCR anyway with Form of the Master/sidegrade.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
For tanking, Con is never a bad choice.

I also like Int on most builds.

Under the new regime, I've found combat training to be rather underwhelming, since you could save up Q and get a vigilante belt and get a smidgen better crit chance than out of 3 ranks of combat training (at least, at my dex guy's 326 dex - yours may be higher). Would go Gear Utilization, personally, and get some +off and +def from my 40 heroic gear /mods (at 40 of course).

For leveling, sure, but I think at 40 I won't be taking Combat Training anymore. Rating kind of sucks due to DR.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A jerk at Cryptic posted:

We will be performing shard maintenance on Nov. 15th from 3:00-4:30 PM Pacific time (2300-0030 UTC). Please check the forums.

Wow I wonder just how bad this patch hosed up.

e: more

TrailTurtle posted:

Hello all,

The stability fix that we made yesterday helped, but it didn't completely resolve the disconnect issues. We've identified what action is needed, and we've tested the fix on PTS and our QA servers.

At 3pm PST, in about 50 minutes, we're going to have maintenance on Live, which should fix the disconnect problems. This maintenance should last 30-90 minutes, and we'll let you know when it's finished. Thanks for your support, folks, we appreciate it.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 16, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm poking around in the costume editor and, uh, poo poo seems pretty hosed up. It thinks I own a number of pay sets that I do not (Swamp King, Dark Fantasy, Swamp King, Robot Samurai, Tesla) and sometimes I can put them on, sometimes I can't. I have a rather bad feeling about this.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm poking around in the costume editor and, uh, poo poo seems pretty hosed up. It thinks I own a number of pay sets that I do not (Swamp King, Dark Fantasy, Swamp King, Robot Samurai, Tesla) and sometimes I can put them on, sometimes I can't. I have a rather bad feeling about this.

That happens all the time for me. Has since I can remember.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that's just... Cryptic. :shrug: If you use "illegal" costume parts and they fix something later it won't change already created costumes anyway, you just won't be able to edit them without removing the pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Here's a wonderful thing: a melee controller that does pretty good damage. It's like a combination of the best things of COX's controllers and dominators:

quote:

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...J000nOI0E7F0cjL

Name: Mamushi

Super Stats:
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Incandescent
Level 6: Intimidating
Level 9: Finesse
Level 12: Diplomatic
Level 15: Sniper Training
Level 18: Discipline Training
Level 21: Jack of All Trades

Powers:
Level 1: Righteous Fists
Level 1: Crashing Wave Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Smoke Bomb Lunge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Manipulator
Level 14: Dragon Kick (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Telekinetic Maelstrom (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
Level 29: Iniquity (Rank 2, Justice)
Level 32: Mental Storm
Level 35: Redemption
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Precise (1/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Again, I plan to pile up as much Presence as possible. It really pleases me that there's several ways to be a very good crowd controller in this game. It also tickles me that Presence (charisma) is a powergamer stat.