Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zack_Gochuck posted:

She had a string of weird gimmicks. Remember the time her gimmick was basically, "This woman is a terrible singer?" They even did a Christmas album.

String? Didn't she just have the mole, become a bad singer and a stint as a generic non-character in between?
I didn't like her cuz her outfit was unrendered video game texture blue and that bothered me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have a different perspective, because I was 10/11 when JBL was champion. Say what you will about him, but as a young mark I venomously hated him. Dude was the dastardliest heel at the time and I was waiting on bated breath for him to get his comeuppance.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
JBL was very boring to me as a late teen/early 20s internet smark because the WWE had Lesnar, Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Edge, Austin(?), Rock, et al and you put the freaking title on Bradshaw? Even now it doesn't make a lot of sense as others have said - I figured Bradshaw had to have some serious dirt on Vince.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NienNunb posted:

I have a different perspective, because I was 10/11 when JBL was champion. Say what you will about him, but as a young mark I venomously hated him. Dude was the dastardliest heel at the time and I was waiting on bated breath for him to get his comeuppance.

I hated him but that was because Smackdown was loving shite when he was champ. Him being champ is how I got into ROH.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Bigass Moth posted:

JBL was very boring to me as a late teen/early 20s internet smark because the WWE had Lesnar, Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Edge, Austin(?), Rock, et al and you put the freaking title on Bradshaw? Even now it doesn't make a lot of sense as others have said - I figured Bradshaw had to have some serious dirt on Vince.

Hahaha, I felt the same way. Then like 2 weeks into Cena's title run I began to hate Cena so much that I actually missed Bradshaw.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Cena I hated before he was even champ. Just hated that he was a white rapper that didn't even rap and pretended to be a hard man.

Talking in rhyme isn't rapping, it makes you a fairytale imp or something.

Like him more now though.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 15, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

RacistGuidingLight posted:

String? Didn't she just have the mole, become a bad singer and a stint as a generic non-character in between?
I didn't like her cuz her outfit was unrendered video game texture blue and that bothered me.

She had this weird public relations gimmick at some point too, didn't she? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I don't care enough to google it.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zack_Gochuck posted:

She had this weird public relations gimmick at some point too, didn't she? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I don't care enough to google it.

That was her mole gimmick.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Lesnar, Austin, and the Rock were all gone by the time JBL got the title, and Angle was sidelined with a neck injury after Wrestlemania XX. They were really spread thin at the top of the card at that point, especially on Smackdown.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Will the WWE ever make a Cena DVD that doesn't suck horribly?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

Actually at that point Lesnar had just left for football, Rock basically stopped wrestling, Austin had been retired for over a year. Edge and Benoit were on Raw, and Angle was injured. RVD and Booker T were around, but Bradshaw's a big tall guy who's been with the company for a lot longer I guess.

He had a hilarious promo about not wanting to defend against Eddie, Booker and Undertaker though. "I don't know how else to say it. I gotta tell you in Spanish, I gotta tell you in Ebonics, I gotta tell you in monster."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Another key thing to remember is that they were pretty consistent with the Raw/Smackdown roster split during Bradshaw's reign, even on minor PPVs (which were brand-specific at the time). As Web Jew.0 pointed out, a number of guys that could potentially fill a main event role in a pinch were on Raw. Bradshaw's definitely a guy who benefitted from that era.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 15, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I always felt like the character change and heel turn were fine, but that they should have tested it out with a US title run first.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
What's the general consensus here on RVD? I only remember him from ECW and enjoying his matches then, but it seems people have soured on him. Why?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

natetimm posted:

What's the general consensus here on RVD? I only remember him from ECW and enjoying his matches then, but it seems people have soured on him. Why?

He's a sloppy worker, and despite his athleticism, doesn't have many great matches to his name.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sounds like consensus is that he was a decent enough heel, albeit one with a gimmick that was heavily reliant on who he was facing. Browsing through some of the matches that were posted, looks like he specialized in a "make your opponent bleed all of his weight in blood" brawler style (a joke; I know that the thing with Eddie was largely the fault of Eddie himself doing a bad blade).

Also that Godzilla promo is... amazing.

EDIT:

Web Jew.0 posted:

He had a hilarious promo about not wanting to defend against Eddie, Booker and Undertaker though. "I don't know how else to say it. I gotta tell you in Spanish, I gotta tell you in Ebonics, I gotta tell you in monster."

That is brilliant.

Sef! fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 15, 2013

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sounds like consensus is that he was a decent enough heel, albeit one with a gimmick that was heavily reliant on who he was facing. Browsing through some of the matches that were posted, looks like he specialized in a "make your opponent bleed all of his weight in blood" brawler style (a joke; I know that the thing with Eddie was largely the fault of Eddie himself doing a bad blade).

Also that Godzilla promo is... amazing.

As a counterpoint: I've been a massive JBL fan since I started watching (which was, pretty much, the time he became champion), and I really enjoyed that era of Smackdown. There was a really great undercard and midcard scene, but hardly anyone who could take up the position of big man until Cena grew into it. I don't think there was a better choice, although the sheer amount of time the run took might've been too much.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Onmi posted:

Will the WWE ever make a Cena DVD that doesn't suck horribly?

I enjoyed "Word Life" when it came out.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's a sloppy worker, and despite his athleticism, doesn't have many great matches to his name.

Also, right now he's well into his forties yet still working like he's half that age. It's really exposed what flaws he had back then.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

She had a string of weird gimmicks. Remember the time her gimmick was basically, "This woman is a terrible singer?" They even did a Christmas album.

Her gimmick was "Brooke Hogan is a terrible singer."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Karma Tornado posted:

Her gimmick was "Brooke Hogan is a terrible singer."
Funny thing is that Christmas album of hers outsold Brooke's.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Wanted to say thanks to everyone for schooling me on the most "over" Asian wrestlers. I picked Tajiri because I was only thinking of the past two decades and I'm a big dumb-dumb. Also, props for finding actually good footage of a Gedo Clutch. I never found an ideal clip of Gedo doing the move.

Twisted Eye posted:

Isn't his theme just some attempt at J-Pop? White guys get buttrock, black guys get hip-hop, and here comes Yoshi Tatsu with his silly annie-may techno twingtwongs. I've always thought of it as the same ol' 'japans like this music right' but just the 2010s version. Less blatant, still lame.

Yeah, I was familiar with Tatsu's theme when I asked that question. I know I described the entrance music for Asian wrestlers as "this wrestler is Asian, so here are some gongs and shamisens", but I just picked those instruments because it gives an idea of what kind of music seemed to be the most common. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I was going for.

VogeGandire posted:

The one in green is Natsuki Taiyo, dunno who the other one is.

(e): It's apparently Yuhi. Here's the full match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgDwb1yMVHQ

Thanks!

Q: Way back in this thread, I remember someone mentioning "OVW horror stories". Any examples or links to where I can find these stories?

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
JBL also played that character so well, so many little things that I have only picked up on now that I have re-watched some of his matches during his intial title win from Eddie. Just about every entrance I have rewatched from the 2004 summer, JBL will come out and smile/wave to the crowd as he walks down to the ring. While doing this, he would walk near the barrier coming down the ramp to shake hands like a presidential candidate. In every match I watched, he would only shake the hands of white clean cut looking people. He would specifically avoid any minorities and not even make eye contact with them.

I remember hating the JBL character upon his intial push as well, then I grew to really like him as a heel that kept on barely escaping with his title in hard fought matches. Its a huge shame that the Cena/JBL match at Wrestlemania 21 was cut so short. That match could have told a great story of JBL trying everything up his sleeves to retain the title only for Cena to finally have his number.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Nick_326 posted:

Q: Way back in this thread, I remember someone mentioning "OVW horror stories". Any examples or links to where I can find these stories?

Just search for anything involving FCW and former trainer Bill Demott (who wrestled as Hugh Morrus in WCW).

e: oh you mean OVW specifically. Not sure if Demott got up to his antics there as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Revenant Threshold posted:

What are some examples of wrestlers being handled smartly in order to cover their weaknesses? I assume it's mostly "He can't talk for poo poo, give the guy a manager", but it seems like everyone eventually gets revealed for what they're good/bad at.

Well, basically everybody in wrestling is booked in someway to hide weaknesses. If they booked something like Triple H vs a healthy Rey, it wasn't like they told HHH "good luck, you're just going have to keep up with him".

Or CM Punk vs Big Show, they didn't tell Punk "Sorry, but he can and will tear your head off".

Depending on the story they want to tell, good bookers always book to hide weaknesses.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Havoc904 posted:

In every match I watched, he would only shake the hands of white clean cut looking people. He would specifically avoid any minorities and not even make eye contact with them.

Wow, if he kept that up as part of his character, that's some attention to detail.

Or he's just legit a huge racist, who knows

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Revenant Threshold posted:

What are some examples of wrestlers being handled smartly in order to cover their weaknesses? I assume it's mostly "He can't talk for poo poo, give the guy a manager", but it seems like everyone eventually gets revealed for what they're good/bad at.

The ECW examples given by everyone are real good ones, but my favorite from Heyman was Public Enemy. Fat guys who couldn't work and didn't really have any charisma got over so much by just putting people through tables that they basically started a bidding war between WWF and WCW.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
While as a middle-aged conservative Texan I don't doubt that JBL has some prejudices, Ron Simmons being the best man at his wedding probably indicates he isn't a HUGE racist.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JBL seems like one of those guys who isn't really a racist but thinks racist jokes are hysterical.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherdog posted:

While as a middle-aged conservative Texan I don't doubt that JBL has some prejudices, Ron Simmons being the best man at his wedding probably indicates he isn't a HUGE racist.

There's also the fact that whenever he's not in kayfabe, he puts over Eddie at every opportunity. Eddie helped JBL get through his divorce, and there's also the little fact that Eddie helped make JBL as a world title contender. JBL also used to put over Rey whenever possible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't actually believe JBL is a huge racist.

JR on the other hand...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's also the fact that whenever he's not in kayfabe, he puts over Eddie at every opportunity. Eddie helped JBL get through his divorce, and there's also the little fact that Eddie helped make JBL as a world title contender. JBL also used to put over Rey whenever possible.

Eddie was also a groomsman at his wedding.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
There's a lot of things you could probably accuse JBL of, but racism is kind of a big stretch.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Well, JBL is occasionally featured on Fox News, but for a white, middle-aged republican man, he's okay.
For example, his stance on Occupy Wall Street was surprisingly un-FOX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D59ebsCVeE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
JBL would be a cool dude if it turns out he has never attempted to rape anyone in the shower and his other tales of locker room bullying are overblown.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

JBL would be a cool dude if it turns out he has never attempted to rape anyone in the shower and his other tales of locker room bullying are overblown.

To be fair the man he just threatened to rape was a rapist and in doing so just severely sexually assaulted him and... that doesn't make it any better at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

To be fair the man he just threatened to rape was a rapist and in doing so just severely sexually assaulted him and... that doesn't make it any better at all.

Are you talking about Palmer Cannon or someone else?

CombineThresher posted:

Pretty much everyone in wrestling still thinks this, in fact. It's not just fans.

In the US, that's probably true. In Japan I doubt most of the older wrestlers do because they all saw Andre get his rear end handed to him by Maeda.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Are you talking about Palmer Cannon or someone else?

In the US, that's probably true. In Japan I doubt most of the older wrestlers do because they all saw Andre get his rear end handed to him by Maeda.

I thought it was Brian Christopher that he attempted to rape with a broomhandle?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I thought it was Brian Christopher that he attempted to rape with a broomhandle?

I've heard the reason Palmer Cannon quit WWE was JBL threatened/attempted to sodomize him in the shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I've heard the reason Palmer Cannon quit WWE was JBL threatened/attempted to sodomize him in the shower.

Could be both.

I mean in Edge's book he says Bradshaw came up to him in the shower and soaped up his rear end as a rib.

I think JBL is probably a closeted bisexual.