Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I think I accidentally trolled the paradox forums. The CK2+ dev team has completely integrated the cultural titles edits (that I only updated and provided) to their base game. This has pissed off a number of people and it's created about 4 pages of tears on the CK2+ thread in the paradox forums. I don't know whether to be proud or sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I think I accidentally trolled the paradox forums. The CK2+ dev team has completely integrated the cultural titles edits (that I only updated and provided) to their base game. This has pissed off a number of people and it's created about 4 pages of tears on the CK2+ thread in the paradox forums. I don't know whether to be proud or sad.

The Paradox forum is full of terrible people, you should be proud that they're weeping over your good idea!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't even think it would be TOO hard to introduce most of this. Support for destroying holdings entirely was brought in with Old Gods (you just rarely see it because under current rules every other building in the holding has to have been burned first), and editing Mongol CBs to allow them to vassalize instead of conquer is trivial - the issue with that is that if the Mongols get medium CA the AI will just revoke your titles for free which is not ideal. I'm wondering just how that would be best changed - restrict how much CA they can gain like TOG pagans (easy, can be done by mods) or create a special case in the title revocation mechanics for Mongols (would need a patch and also ehhhhhhh) or something else entirely?

:shobon: I'm just glad you quoted and commented, I was worried I ended up unintentionally putting that much work into a post for people to go all effort on me. In any case, integrating that kind of stuff would take some work but I think it would be worthwhile. Maybe in CKIII.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Mongols already can't get medium CA unless they reform Tengri or convert.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

For SoA I wanna start as a duke in the HRE and play a rather low-level game. What's a good duchy? I was thinking Saxony so I could expand out against the pagans between Denmark and Poland.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

StashAugustine posted:

For SoA I wanna start as a duke in the HRE and play a rather low-level game. What's a good duchy? I was thinking Saxony so I could expand out against the pagans between Denmark and Poland.

Flanders(north sea coast on border of HRE and France) is probably the strongest duchy up there - it's big, lot of holding slots(county of Brugge there has 7 slots), mostly coastal for extra money, every county borders several others for good tech spread.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 15, 2013

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I was pretty bummed when my King died young trying to help out his brother-in-law during a war. He left me a 3-year-old daughter to play as, and he himself had just recently taken the throne. I really wasn't prepared for that kid to actually live to see the Sunset Invasion, much less become the oldest person in the world with the nickname "The Young".

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Is that the Aztec empire in europe? I'm surprised Galicia and Leon/Castille are still around if it is. Also your queen must have a pretty big long reign bonus (Does the count towards long reign start from when they inherit or when they are an adult and can take the throne without a regent?).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Paradox forum is full of terrible people, you should be proud that they're weeping over your good idea!
I'm not a fan of localized cultural titles and I'm not looking forward to having to comment out all that when they release the next version v:shobon:v

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
This game is going really well. Controlling Jerusalem, Mailer II 'the Holy' has expanded out east to Baghdad and south to Mann and Al'Aqabah. He's the second person in his bloodline to be the holiest man in the known world. In the next few years he'll control Egypt and begin conquering the Seljuks and northern Africa. He owes it all to one man. This guy:

After Zaia's father accidentally fell backwards onto a knife and he received a large sympathy gift from Ireland, his country was immediately threatened. First came the claimants to the throne. Next came the decadence invasion. He held on through multiple wars until eventually the invasion took all his power and banished the Fatimid line to a few scattered counties. Somehow the invading ruler had two sons. One was set to inherit the decadence invasion for some reason.

When the next ruler took over the kingdom was pretty much destroyed. Counties had become independent and no one had any levies left.

The Muammarids bounced back, though. Soon they raised a big enough army to threaten the Catholic world again. Problems have to be solved:

It's nearly 1170 and Egypt has never known peace. Every war left more Catholic land. In 30 years one of the most powerful nations in the world was destroyed for less than 1000 ducats by some hick from the north. The Shia religion is on course to be wiped out. I'll probably be destroyed by magic event Mongol troops but it's been an incredible ride.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kainser posted:

I'm not a fan of localized cultural titles and I'm not looking forward to having to comment out all that when they release the next version v:shobon:v

I love them at the county and duchy level, above that I get kind of ambivalent, but I already make enough changes to every CK2+ update, and at least only changing Kingdoms and Empires in landed_ titles is less tedious than adding all the county and duchy titles I actually liked was.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OK, I hate to be off topic here, but Knuc if you Buck, is your avatar Dick Cheney if he were Twilight Sparkle?

EDIT
Holy hell. And on topic, how the hell did you get a 0% chance of being discovered? Is the guy you're trying to assassinate a 0 intrigue? What is -your- intrigue?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 15, 2013

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

dPB posted:

Is that the Aztec empire in europe? I'm surprised Galicia and Leon/Castille are still around if it is. Also your queen must have a pretty big long reign bonus (Does the count towards long reign start from when they inherit or when they are an adult and can take the throne without a regent?).

Yes, but when they showed up I renamed them "Mexico" because I have a 12-year-old's sense of humor. The Iberian countries are only still around because the invaders went off attacking the Holy Roman Empire for a while before suddenly deciding they wanted to be Catholic for some reason :confused:. Maybe they thought eating the "body" and drinking the "blood" of their God was even more metal than ripping folks' beating hearts out.

Her reign bonus when she died (at 90 years old) was +76, I don't know when it started counting. I do, however, know that when she died it was the first time for everybody in the world that she wasn't queen, since the second oldest living person was 81-years-old, and she'd reigned for 87 years.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don't think this has been posted yet: Paradox AMA about SoA on their forums.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?734909-Ask-us-Anything-about-Crusader-Kings-II-Sons-of-Abraham

Veryslightlymad posted:

OK, I hate to be off topic here, but Knuc if you Buck, is your avatar Dick Cheney if he were Twilight Sparkle?

You're maybe the third person that's said that. I assume it's George from Seinfeld. I guess whoever wanted to stamp me with a pony av was kind enough to keep my old avatar theme.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kainser posted:

Does this mean that Frankish kings will be called Roi and stuff like that? Because... that's kind of pointless. I mean cultural title names make sense where that is kind of the custom, like Kaiser, Doge, Shah, Sultan and Amir. Native language names just for the sake of having them is kind of annoying to me personally, kind of like alot of the mods for Rome Total War where it was kind of hard to know what a unit actually was without zooming in and looking at it.

I do wish they would flesh out the Muslims some more rather than just adding the Mutazili/Ashari thing. Would be cool to have mechanics that portrated stuff like the power and influence of Grand Wiziers better (in the late Fatimid period the Caliphs were pretty much just figureheads and real power was held by a dynasty of Armenian Grand Viziers). Maybe making levies play less of a role in their armies as Muslim armies usually were centered around an elite of professional slave soldiers supplemented by semi-professional tribal auxiliaries and religious volunteers.
An easy way to do this could perhaps be to have a kind of Varangian Guard (mercenary company that is vassalized by and can only be recruited by a particular country) mechanics for the Mamluks. For a more involved gameplay mechanic I'd add in the ability to have captive non-Muslim male children as Mamluks giving them a good martial education and a special trait that gives some extra martial ability, loyalty to their liege, ineligiblity for marriage and perhaps an increased chance to pick up the homosexual trait. It would perhaps also be cool if you could do diplomacy with pagan states to purchase male children as slaves to be trained as Mamluks. You might work a race/culture thing as well as for some reason only white slaves (Turks, Slavs, Caucasians, etc) were made Mamluks, while black slaves usually were made into (penisless) eunuchs or trained as infantry (with much lower status than Mamluks who regularly held land as payment and led armies and governed cities and regions). Having a mamluk character in your court would then be a prerequisitie for forming a mamluk corps (a powerful vassalized mercenary unit made up of heavy cav, light cav and horse archers), their bonus to relations with their liege would also make them very useful as vassals for a muslim ruler (as now vassals do not contribute levies if relations are negative and their inability to marry would make them unlikely to harbor dynastic ambitions). To balance this I'd give mamluk characters the ability to use a special CB against their liege a military coup that overthrows the ruler and installs a mamluk regime in its place, usable if relations are negative or/and when the liege's dynasty has high decadence or low prestige.
Other cool features could be a mechanic for the Atabeg institution in the Seljuk Sultanate where the position of an underage ruler's regent became a powerful and semi-heridtary position and a lynchpin of the Turco-Islamic feudal system, also cool could be a new councilor job Court Physician (a very common position in Islamic states at the time, and these were quite often Jewish) perhaps working somewhat like the Master in the GoT mod.

... Yeah that's about it, guess I'll have to do with Ashari/Mutazilite and murdering a whole bunch of brothers.

Brohannes Brahms posted:

Yes, but when they showed up I renamed them "Mexico" because I have a 12-year-old's sense of humor.

Actually Mexico/Mexican Empire would be a more correct term for the Aztecs than actually calling them "Aztecs" which is a modern invention drawn from the name for the mythical valley Aztlan where the people who settled the valley of Mexico were said to have come from. They referred to themselves as Mexica and their country (the heartland around Tenochtitlan) as Mexico, the so-called Aztec Empire itself was an alliance of three Nahua city states (of which Mexico/Tenochtitlan was the strongest) known as the Triple Alliance, they would not have used nor recognized the word "Aztec".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 15, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Randarkman posted:

Does this mean that Frankish kings will be called Roi and stuff like that? Because... that's kind of pointless. I mean cultural title names make sense where that is kind of the custom, like Kaiser, Doge, Shah, Sultan and Amir. Native language names just for the sake of having them is kind of annoying to me personally, kind of like alot of the mods for Rome Total War where it was kind of hard to know what a unit actually was without zooming in and looking at it.

Nope it changes the name of the place to be 'culturally accurate' so you don't know where the gently caress people are from wiz was dead set against including king level cultural title changes before this new lot took control of it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ah, I see so Basileia Rhōmaiōn and such crap? ... I actually like this even less, completely pointless. I don't want this game to feel like a mod from TWcenter... Why did they do this?

This might also be kind of ponderous to change in the localisation files unlike if it was just native ruler titles, which is only like 3-4 per culture. There's a lot of titles.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 15, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Rumda posted:

Nope it changes the name of the place to be 'culturally accurate' so you don't know where the gently caress people are from wiz was dead set against including king level cultural title changes before this new lot took control of it.

BUT IT'S MY ARTISTIC VISION HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I MAKE THIS AN OPTIONAL FEATURE

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Seriously it should be optional there is literally no reason to have it in the base game, the fact that they removed the gener equality mod as well doesn't fill me with hope for the unterribleness of the mod team

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rumda posted:

Seriously it should be optional there is literally no reason to have it in the base game, the fact that they removed the gener equality mod as well doesn't fill me with hope for the unterribleness of the mod team

Oh, wait, so it's just CK2+ that's adding these "culturally accurate" titles?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In SoA are they making any kind of tweaks to orthodox Christianity?

I'm about to start a Byzantine game, but I figure I'll hold off if there are some cool changes coming for them.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Captain Beans posted:

I'm about to start a Byzantine game, but I figure I'll hold off if there are some cool changes coming for them.

Just a holy order and the associated new mechanics for mainstream orthodox, as well as the heresy changes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

Only monasteries and a Holy Order (if you control Jerusalem, apparently) have been announced. Nothing that's not available to Catholics, basically.

But the former is already good enough, since Byzantine politics was basically an endless cycle of eye-gougings and forced retirements to monasteries.

e: Beaten.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rumda posted:

Wait, the new guys that are running ck2+ are getting rid of the gender equality mod? That was the best one, because it made women not useless. Please tell me it isn't being run by a bunch of MRAs now.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

SeaTard posted:

Wait, the new guys that are running ck2+ are getting rid of the gender equality mod? That was the best one, because it made women not useless. Please tell me it isn't being run by a bunch of MRAs now.

I think it's being run by "Historically Accurate" aficionados, insisting on precise simulation and accuracy. I expect them to officially merge in the SWMH map any day now. :rolleyes:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Iunnrais posted:

I think it's being run by "Historically Accurate" aficionados, insisting on precise simulation and accuracy. I expect them to officially merge in the SWMH map any day now. :rolleyes:

Well they're merging in another map mod its not quite as bad as SWMH but with wiggly province borders

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
That mod also adds clearly vital provinces like Elbe, Corfu and the Channel Islands which seems slightly over the top to me.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 15, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Nooooooo :negative:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Wait gender equality mod? Where can I get this? I have the unfortunate problem of having women with better stats in everything just lying around.

Do spousal stats help with Councillors?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Do spousal stats help with Councillors?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure only rulers get spousal stat bonuses.

The thought just occurred to me that it might be interesting if there were in-game events for if a female ruler is married to a man who happens to have a claim on her throne. Not sure what you could all do with it, but it seems like it could be a sticky situation.

Also, are there any mods (or is it even possible to create a mod) where gendered titles are more specific about whether they are the title-holder or the spouse? For example, having a woman specifically have the title Queen Regnant if she's the ruler, but just plain Queen if not? The ring around the portrait lets you know, but it would be a nice bit of flavour.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I love map mods - I get sperghives whenever I look at vanilla Caucasus - and I like translated names as well. Though they already said there will be an English-only option for those who don't speak 25 languages.

My big concern however is that a map mod might not play well with the EU4 Converter, at least SMHM didn't iirc. I hope the one they integrated was done properly in that sense (which I believe boils down to making the province IDs match with the vanilla ones whenever possible? not sure).

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
CK2+ is slowing down the game noticeably as it is, the thought of them adding 232634 provinces on top of that makes me cringe.

I forsee a CK2+ Lite spinoff eventually...

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

My big concern however is that a map mod might not play well with the EU4 Converter, at least SMHM didn't iirc. I hope the one they integrated was done properly in that sense (which I believe boils down to making the province IDs match with the vanilla ones whenever possible? not sure).

Hmm... an interesting idea for a map mod might be one that ports over the province borders from EU4 completely. It would probably gum up some stuff, but it would make continuity games a lot more seamless.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

Hmm... an interesting idea for a map mod might be one that ports over the province borders from EU4 completely. It would probably gum up some stuff, but it would make continuity games a lot more seamless.

There are simply too few provinces in eu4 Europe, aside from the HRE, for CK2 to work. And if you call the provinces on the eu4 map duchys for ck2 then you've practically got the vanilla map.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DStecks posted:

Also, are there any mods (or is it even possible to create a mod) where gendered titles are more specific about whether they are the title-holder or the spouse? For example, having a woman specifically have the title Queen Regnant if she's the ruler, but just plain Queen if not? The ring around the portrait lets you know, but it would be a nice bit of flavour.

This used to be a vanilla feature (well, specific titles for spouses of rulers was a feature). Paradox removed it, and I still have no idea why.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dallan Invictus posted:

This used to be a vanilla feature (well, specific titles for spouses of rulers was a feature). Paradox removed it, and I still have no idea why.
Really? I don't remember that at all, and the lack of it is something that I've thought about before.

edit: from the question thread

quote:

Does the pope still favor Italians if the culture of Rome shifts or the papacy relocates to somewhere like France?

quote:

The culture bonus is based on the title's scripted culture and group. so if you do a mod where it relocates to France and make sure the culture of the title changes as well then yes that would make it be more acceptable for Franks.
Well, drat. That's pretty irritating, unless you can pull off some kind of tricky generic event to switch the Papacy's scripted culture based on circumstances.

also, regarding theological schools:

quote:

Many AI characters will never choose a school. But it also depends on traits - for example, a cynical character will never choose Ash'ari. They are always more likely to choose a school that their liege supports, so you can drift somewhat towards a certain school in your realm if you wish.

The opinion penalty is -50. Quite heavy, which is why many will choose to stay neutral.
Ash'ari is apparently going to be basically worthless for preventing decadence invasions, since you won't be able to get your dynasty to follow it en masse.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 15, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Really? I don't remember that at all, and the lack of it is something that I've thought about before.

Yeah, he's basically talking about consort titles, (well, the covnerse of consort titles). I used to mod my localisation files to title spouses of ruling queens as Prince Consort instead of King, until Paradox removed that functionality in a patch for some reason. I've bitched about it here before, but not very loudly.

edit: it was in 1.06b:

"The minor title 'title_ruler_consort' no longer has separate localization strings - it's now the other gender version of the spouse's ruler title"

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 16, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, he's basically talking about consort titles, (well, the covnerse of consort titles). I used to mod my localisation files to title spouses of ruling queens as Prince Consort instead of King, until Paradox removed that functionality in a patch for some reason. I've bitched about it here before, but not very loudly.
Huh. Crazy. Yeah, that's a pretty obvious absence at the moment.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Why would they remove that functionality? That makes no sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Ash'ari is apparently going to be basically worthless for preventing decadence invasions, since you won't be able to get your dynasty to follow it en masse.

He later said that dynasty members will automatically start switching into Ash'ari if Decadence gets too high, though members with deadly sin traits are less likely to.

DStecks posted:

Why would they remove that functionality? That makes no sense!

I'm actually with you on this one. That's an odd thing to remove.

• Locked thread