Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Would vCenter still see the host and everything be all cool still (networking, permissions, iscsi initiators, etc...) if I just ran a repair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kiwid posted:

Would vCenter still see the host and everything be all cool still (networking, permissions, iscsi initiators, etc...) if I just ran a repair?

I know update resets the nuke timer, lemme test again on vcenter

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I know update resets the nuke timer, lemme test again on vcenter

Don't go out of your way, I have 35 days left, I can test it myself with a VM inside a VM on the weekend.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kiwid posted:

Don't go out of your way, I have 35 days left, I can test it myself with a VM inside a VM on the weekend.

meh finializing 3 VMware courses and 1 Sec+ class in over the next few weeks, might as well test something else. I thought I recall it does but better confirm.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

meh finializing 3 VMware courses and 1 Sec+ class in over the next few weeks, might as well test something else. I thought I recall it does but better confirm.

Awesome, if you do end up testing it, let me know, thanks.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Does anyone know of a cheap SMTP relay/gateway service that will relay mail on non-standard ports? My ISP blocks inbound port 25 and I want to test Microsoft Exchange. DynDNS has this service for $50/year: http://dyn.com/email/dyn-email-gateway/

Anything cheaper out there?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Having a hell of a time getting ESXi 5.5.0 to see local SATA drives on my Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H. I've tried IDE and AHCI mode. It goes through the boot process fine, and just before transitioning from the yellow loader screen to where you agree to the install, I get a red error line, but it doesn't stay long enough to read. It then scans the sysetm and shows nothing under Local or Remote for "Disk to Install or Upgrade".

Is there any flags/options I can pass the bootloader to allow me to back track and see that error?

EDIT: Jumping over to another tty isn't yielding much from the log files, but I'll keep digging.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 15, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Having a hell of a time getting ESXi 5.5.0 to see local SATA drives on my Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H. I've tried IDE and AHCI mode. It goes through the boot process fine, and just before transitioning from the yellow loader screen to where you agree to the install, I get a red error line, but it doesn't stay long enough to read. It then scans the sysetm and shows nothing under Local or Remote for "Disk to Install or Upgrade".

Is there any flags/options I can pass the bootloader to allow me to back track and see that error?

EDIT: Jumping over to another tty isn't yielding much from the log files, but I'll keep digging.

Install it onto a USB drive, you can even install it back onto the usb you used to boot esxi on if installing via usb

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Install it onto a USB drive, you can even install it back onto the usb you used to boot esxi on if installing via usb

Heh. This is what I did with every existing server we have that I rebuilt(no remote management was ever bought). Unetbootin. Boot from thumb drive. Install to thumb drive.

I really need to work in a bigger environment, or become less lazy and play with all the fun vSphere automation stuff.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Heh. This is what I did with every existing server we have that I rebuilt(no remote management was ever bought). Unetbootin. Boot from thumb drive. Install to thumb drive.

I really need to work in a bigger environment, or become less lazy and play with all the fun vSphere automation stuff.

Work for a VAR

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

This is the home lab thread. Do the needful. You can't play with "real" SANs and UCSes at home, but it's easy to roll an environment large and complex enough to do nontrivial work with iSCSI MPIO, kick started installs, svMotion, etc.

If you want "large environment", VARs don't hold a candle to enterprises running rows full of hypervisors. If you know how large our openstack deployment is or how large some of the VMware labs I've seen have been...

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Well, I learned something new today.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

That is what I am shooting for with my next job. Where I moved to has 0 job market for IT stuff (outside of were I am working), but the living is great. :)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Moey posted:

That is what I am shooting for with my next job. Where I moved to has 0 job market for IT stuff (outside of were I am working), but the living is great. :)

One of my best friends does recruiting and HR for Lewan in Denver, if you ever want to move down out of the hills ;) Not that I would either, mountains own.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

Not that I would either, mountains own.

Our plan was to move somewhere less "rural" within a few years, but this place is sucking me in. :)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

A lot of server motherboards have internal USB slots for just this purpose:

Buy yourself a low profile USB key and install ESX to that and you have an instant host. The USB is inside the enclosure so you don't risk someone walking along and pulling it out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Agrikk posted:

The USB is inside the enclosure so you don't risk someone walking along and pulling it out.

:science: Once booted ESXi will keep running even if the thumbdrive is pulled. After boot everything runs from memory!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Moey posted:

:science: Once booted ESXi will keep running even if the thumbdrive is pulled. After boot everything runs from memory!

Of course the host will become completely unmanageable (No vMotion, snapshotting, etc.). I had that happen in a production cluster, some very specific and strange issue with vSphere 5.0 and the RAID controllers in IBM HS22 blades. We "fixed" it by installing USB flash drives in the blades that didn't have them :)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm trying to create a topology in GNS3 to practice off of, can anyone suggest a good real-world example to model this off of? I don't want to practice off of a something I'll never actually see in production.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Third Man posted:

I'm trying to create a topology in GNS3 to practice off of, can anyone suggest a good real-world example to model this off of? I don't want to practice off of a something I'll never actually see in production.

The Cisco Design Guides are a good start. Find one that looks good and shoot for building one from scratch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I just tried to do this and I'm stuck at "BOOTMGR is missing" Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
Anyone know a detailed guide to making this work. Did I screw up by formatting my USB drive as NTFS instead of FAT32?

Edit:

No wait! I'm the smartest motherfucker on Earth!

This home lab thing is looking to be an emotional roller-coaster.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 17, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just tried to do this and I'm stuck at "BOOTMGR is missing" Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
Anyone know a detailed guide to making this work. Did I screw up by formatting my USB drive as NTFS instead of FAT32?

Edit:

No wait! I'm the smartest motherfucker on Earth!

This home lab thing is looking to be an emotional roller-coaster.

Was just about to reply to you but then I saw your edit. It would have been best to completely format the USB drive as RAW so that it has no partition table at all. Your machine probably attempted to boot from the USB flash drive prior to attempting to boot from whatever install media you are using which would have caused that "BOOTMGR is missing" error.

Not really an issue, the ESXi installer will blow away the contents of the drive entirely when installing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

cheese-cube posted:

Not really an issue, the ESXi installer will blow away the contents of the drive entirely when installing.

I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do so I put in a second USB drive to install to. Better safe than sorry I guess!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm wanting to set up a server to learn Microsoft Exchange 2013. I realized I don't have Outlook. Is there a free way, no :filez: to get outlook for my lab?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm wanting to set up a server to learn Microsoft Exchange 2013. I realized I don't have Outlook. Is there a free way, no :filez: to get outlook for my lab?

Ninite still has the Office 2007 Standard trial listed, I think that was 90 days and included Outlook but I'm not sure.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!
GNS 3 1.0 crowdfunding has started. New features will include switching and dropping packets on links. Backers will get access to the beta version, so you will have it about 8 months early. Everybody give stephen your money!!

https://gns3.crowdhoster.com/become-an-early-release-member

drdemon
Mar 6, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You can get a technical evaluation from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/default, have a look at the Office section.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jelmylicious posted:

GNS 3 1.0 crowdfunding has started. New features will include switching and dropping packets on links. Backers will get access to the beta version, so you will have it about 8 months early. Everybody give stephen your money!!

I literally would not have gotten my CCNA R&S or my CCNA Security without GNS3. Well, not as easily or cheaply at least. $25 is almost criminally low for how much I value that software.

CONTRIBUTED.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Jelmylicious posted:

Never used the software since I'm more of a server admin than networking but I purchased the $25 prem-early so I can give this a go.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Also worthy of note is some of the developers commentary on just how much requests for simulation of non Cisco hardware has increased and their determination to provide adequate solutions for simulation of that hardware. Specifically covered at one point was Junos.

I have not backed it yet but I really should.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I'm going to try to set up a home lab, mostly focused on VMware, and then the usual Microsoft suite of software - Server 2012R2, AD, DNS, etc., with some SCCM thrown in. I'm going for the usual shuttle build

Shuttle SH67H3
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge
2x Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Rosewill RNG-407-Dual PCI-Express Dual Port Gigabit ... Only dual port NIC I could find that didn't cost a significant portion of the build...
And I'll probably dig up some hard drive from somewhere to install ESXi on.
Tentative cost: ~790 Canadian funbux.

However, the other half of the equation is to get some network storage practice going on. I figured I'd throw FreeNAS on something, and use it for the VMware server's storage though Gb iSCSI. I have no bloody idea what I should be looking for. Being able to hold a decent number of disks and raid them obviously, so another one of those shuttles is out, but I'm sure someone here has done something that would work. Anything in particular I should look at, or even better, any black Friday deals going on I should be looking at?

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 28, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I'm going to try to set up a home lab, mostly focused on VMware, and then the usual Microsoft suite of software - Server 2012R2, AD, DNS, etc., with some SCCM thrown in. I'm going for the usual shuttle build

Shuttle SH67H3
Rosewill RNG-407-Dual PCI-Express Dual Port Gigabit ... Only dual port NIC I could find that didn't cost a significant portion of the build...

However, the other half of the equation is to get some network storage practice going on. I figured I'd throw FreeNAS on something, and use it for the VMware server's storage though Gb iSCSI. I have no bloody idea what I should be looking for. Being able to hold a decent number of disks and raid them obviously, so another one of those shuttles is out, but I'm sure someone here has done something that would work. Anything in particular I should look at, or even better, any black Friday deals going on I should be looking at?

The shuttle is on sale for Black Friday for 40 off right now, I believe, on Amazon.

Also, doesn't the K proc not support VMDirectPath?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Shuttle SH67H3

As for the NIC, ESXi 5.5 got rid of a lot of consumer grade drivers so it might not work. You should probably stay with an Intel NIC (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMZHX2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). You could always use 5.1 though if you wanted.

As for the storage. You could pick up an HP Microserver like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921 and throw in a DP NIC and upgrade the RAM. Then throw FreeNAS on it. You'll also want a Gig-E switch if you don't have one. Actually since the N54L already has onboard LAN, you could get just a single port NIC and use that for your iscsi and use the onboard for management/file level access. Be sure to follow the 1GB of RAM to 1GB of storage rule for ZFS though or you'll have major slowdown. Check out the packrats thread for more info on the HP Microservers: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

edit:

Also this:

three posted:

kiwid fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 28, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

three posted:

The shuttle is on sale for Black Friday for 40 off right now, I believe, on Amazon.

Thanks for that catch. I can swap it out with the non-k version.

Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge

[quote="kiwid" post="post422482310"]
As for the NIC, ESXi 5.5 got rid of a lot of consumer grade drivers so it might not work. You should probably stay with an Intel NIC (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMZHX2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). You could always use 5.1 though if you wanted.

As for the storage. You could pick up an HP Microserver like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921 and throw in a DP NIC and upgrade the RAM. Then throw FreeNAS on it. You'll also want a Gig-E switch if you don't have one. Actually since the N54L already has onboard LAN, you could get just a single port NIC and use that for your iscsi and use the onboard for management/file level access. Be sure to follow the 1GB of RAM to 1GB of storage rule for ZFS though or you'll have major slowdown. Check out the packrats thread for more info on the HP Microservers: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557
[/quote]

Thanks for the storage info. I'll check out that intel card, too. Most electronics from Amazon.com won't actually ship to Canada, and they didn't have those available on the Canadian site. If I have to bite the bullet and drop a $100 or so on an intel server card, I can probably swing that.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 28, 2013

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks for the storage info. I'll check out that intel card, too. Most electronics from Amazon.com won't actually ship to Canada, and they didn't have those available on the Canadian site. If I have to bite the bullet and drop a $100 or so on an intel server card, I can probably swing that.

:canada:

I'm Canadian too but I'm lucky enough to live near the border so I just ship my poo poo to a shipping center and drive over and get it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

This card uses a Marvell Yukon chipset, and will most likely NOT work with ESXi unless you want to do a bunch of ISO hacking to insert your own drivers. The other Rosewill dual gigabit card uses a Realtek RTL8111 chipset. Same story. Apparently a ton of old Intel hardware is also depricated too. Here's the list of depricated hardware: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2056935

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 28, 2013

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I'll confirm that http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMZHX2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is still working in 5.5

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Did you upgrade to 5.5 or was it a fresh install? The 82571GB chipset is not on the HCL for 5.5

If you want a dual port gigabit nic, go find a Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port NIC. They're on eBay for ~$50-100
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=intel+gigabit+et&_sop=15

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 28, 2013

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Did you upgrade to 5.5 or was it a fresh install? The 82571GB chipset is not on the HCL for 5.5

If you want a dual port gigabit nic, go find a Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port NIC. They're on eBay for ~$50-100
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=intel+gigabit+et&_sop=15

Fresh Install, built my lab just as 5.5 came out so it's never touched 5.1

edit:

kiwid fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Anyone have any kinda black fridayish tips? I'm planning to build a 2nd lab box, this one with 64gb of memory. I want that memory cheaply. I'll either build a desktop PC or get it in a server. Who has the deals this weekend?

• Locked thread