Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sprint REALLY wants you to know if you are in a fast data market with the HTC One MAXX.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-doesn-t-want-you-forget-you-ve-got-dizzingly-fast-spark-lte-data

Dear god that would be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Sprint REALLY wants you to know if you are in a fast data market with the HTC One MAXX.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-doesn-t-want-you-forget-you-ve-got-dizzingly-fast-spark-lte-data

Fortunately the One Max wasn't a good phone in the first place so this isn't a big deal.

e: apparently it's the not-named-by-motorola Max, not MAXX.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
When it comes to battery life my N5 is doing much better than my N4. I was using the Lumia 920 before that (my brief foray away from Android) which to me is the king of battery life (I averaged 20 hours).

I also have a history of picking really lovely phones, Vibrant - Desire Z - Captivate. All of which I had some form of performance/battery issues and they couldn't make it through a work day without being nursed by the charger. My N5 on the other hand handles whatever I throw at it just fine, I'm browsing reddit/news for 20-30 minutes in the morning as I head to work then I tinker with it throughout the day. On the way home it's another 20-30 minutes of reddit/news. The Auto Brightness kinda sucks and likes to leave itself maxed out, I'm too cheap to get Lumox.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Got my X today and its fantastic. Solidly built, fast as hell, and a pretty compact package. Noticeably smaller than my S3 and the screen is only .1" smaller on the diagonal.

SA Mart post coming tonight for my S3. No looking back.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There is definitely something screwy with the battery reading on the N5, because despite spending a bunch of time browsing the forums with Awful, and streaming music via Pandora, neither of them are showing up on my list:

You can clearly see the dive at the end of the chart where I had the screen on for an hour or so, and the early decline was all bluetooth streaming of Pandora.

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013
Apparently, verizon is offering an extra $50 off the Moto X through their website. Magic checkout word is "vzwdeal". This amounts to a free 16 gig version. Haven't tried it yet (have to convince them to give me an early upgrade first).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/15/deal-alert-get-a-moto-x-free-on-contract-from-verizon-with-this-coupon-code-save-100/

Sidenote, what do you guys think the 6 month depreciation would be for this phone? 50%...?

If this is the wrong section, let me know and I'll redact as needed.

the last s0n fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 15, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SeaTard posted:

There is definitely something screwy with the battery reading on the N5, because despite spending a bunch of time browsing the forums with Awful, and streaming music via Pandora, neither of them are showing up on my list:

You can clearly see the dive at the end of the chart where I had the screen on for an hour or so, and the early decline was all bluetooth streaming of Pandora.

I'm starting to think that it's not the Nexus 5 but it's Android 4.4 itself:

Nexus 4 (Factory Image 4.4):

The screen on time is 54m 31s

Nexus 7 (OTA 4.4):

The screen on time is 2h 26m 52s

They don't seem to be dying too quickly or anything, but I think 4.4's battery reporting is broken.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

My phone is experiencing an epoch fail. Clock reset to Jan 1 1970 today. I'm pretty sure its all configured to get the time from the service provider(t-mobile), so maybe their tower's config got borked somehow. Just wondering if there's any possibility that its a config/software issue on my phone itself (Nexus 4).

e: well I suppose I should have done this before I posted, but I just checked my settings and somehow the checkbox to grab time from the network got turned off. I'm sure it was selected before, it seems to have flipped on its own. :iiam:

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 15, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

peepsalot posted:

My phone is experiencing an epoch fail.
:negative:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, he's right, tho.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
nm

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

the kawaiiest posted:

Oh so my husband probably has it already. Sweet. Thanks.

If you upload your iPhone videos to G+ it'll do the same thing.

edit: for anyone who doesn't want to gently caress around with G+ backup, there's a few apps that create videos with licensed (real) songs. Magisto is a decent one and is cross platform, all you have to do is give it photos and video to work with and pick a song.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 15, 2013

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

peepsalot posted:

My phone is experiencing an epoch fail. Clock reset to Jan 1 1970 today. I'm pretty sure its all configured to get the time from the service provider(t-mobile), so maybe their tower's config got borked somehow. Just wondering if there's any possibility that its a config/software issue on my phone itself (Nexus 4).

e: well I suppose I should have done this before I posted, but I just checked my settings and somehow the checkbox to grab time from the network got turned off. I'm sure it was selected before, it seems to have flipped on its own. :iiam:
Have you been clearing the data for Google Services Framework in the hire if triggering an update by any chance?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Combat Pretzel posted:

The N5 seems pretty busy. Most of these small activations seem to be from Play Services. That's around half an hour from unplugging it.
Anecdotally, my Google Services battery usage went up dramatically when I turned high accuracy on (basically letting it use GPS whenever it wants). When I turned it back to battery saving location that basically disappeared. So if you notice a lot of battery bar for Google Services consider that. I'm not really keen on spending a giant chunk of battery just so Google Now can try and anticipate when I want to go home.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ya, but of all these micro-activations, GPS was only triggered twice. Battery usage isn't actually that bad. It's far from N4 Play Services wakelock.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Rusty! posted:

Have you been clearing the data for Google Services Framework in the hire if triggering an update by any chance?

I don't know what any of this means.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, realistically, how long do you think I have to wait before the Note 3 starts to come down in price (VZW)? I know I could sell my GNex for $100 pretty easily and help offset the cost, but I'd still prefer not to spend the cash then watch the price fall the way the new Droids have been immediately after.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

peepsalot posted:

I don't know what any of this means.

There's this one weird trick to get updates quicker, which is to find Google Services Framework in your Apps settings and repeatedly clear its data, to make it check for updates every time. The reason the government doesn't want you to know about it is it fucks things up

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ya, but of all these micro-activations, GPS was only triggered twice. Battery usage isn't actually that bad. It's far from N4 Play Services wakelock.

The previous Play Services problem has mostly been fixed with the latest update.

The problem is that 4.4's battery screen is just broken.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bull3964 posted:

I've said this a lot and I'll remind you: American telecoms are terrible. Like 'lets put our corporate logo on your expensive phone' terrible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Now 4.4 is out for the N4 what's the consensus on ART vs DALVIK?

I switched over almost straight away and everything does feel very subtly faster but I'm not sure what is down to general 4.4 improvements and what is down to the runtime change

e. Unrelated, under 4.3 the new launcher was showing 5x5 apps in the drawer, under 4.4 its only 4x5. Kind of annoying as there was plenty of space for the old grid

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

1st AD posted:

If you upload your iPhone videos to G+ it'll do the same thing.

Nah I deleted my G+ account a couple of months ago. I was just wondering. Thanks for the info though. :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

The problem is that 4.4's battery screen is just broken.
What? The awake bar still not fixed? It shows more activity than on 4.2/4.3.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

Now 4.4 is out for the N4 what's the consensus on ART vs DALVIK?

I switched over almost straight away and everything does feel very subtly faster but I'm not sure what is down to general 4.4 improvements and what is down to the runtime change

e. Unrelated, under 4.3 the new launcher was showing 5x5 apps in the drawer, under 4.4 its only 4x5. Kind of annoying as there was plenty of space for the old grid

I enabled it once it see how it was. It's...okay? I mean, I personally didn't see much of a change from how fast it normally is. I went back to Dalvik. Though, I don't think I want to do it again since it takes a while to optimize my 170-something apps. :v:

Combat Pretzel posted:

What? The awake bar still not fixed? It shows more activity than on 4.2/4.3.

No, this.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm starting to think that it's not the Nexus 5 but it's Android 4.4 itself:

Nexus 4 (Factory Image 4.4):

The screen on time is 54m 31s

Nexus 7 (OTA 4.4):

The screen on time is 2h 26m 52s

They don't seem to be dying too quickly or anything, but I think 4.4's battery reporting is broken.

The battery graph just goes crazy. On 4.3, it was a steady, gradual decent. On 4.4, it just kind of...does whatever it wants to. I never even plugged the tablet in for it to do that and I don't know what the phone is doing.

Actually, now that I look at it, the phone is sorta normal... it's the tablet that's just kind of weird.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

XIII posted:

So, realistically, how long do you think I have to wait before the Note 3 starts to come down in price (VZW)? I know I could sell my GNex for $100 pretty easily and help offset the cost, but I'd still prefer not to spend the cash then watch the price fall the way the new Droids have been immediately after.

The note II is still going for around 3-400 last I checked. I wouldn't expect the 3 to drop in price anytime soon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yalborap posted:

The note II is still going for around 3-400 last I checked. I wouldn't expect the 3 to drop in price anytime soon.

I mean the on contract price

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Droid Maxx is absolute tits once you realize the panel being a little more grey then the G2's doesn't really matter. Only thing I would change would be the on screen instead of physical back/home/menu buttons

E: well, and that Verizon shouldn't take 3 months to sort through evey update :v:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 16, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, my only gripe about the MotoX so far is that the controls on my headset from my S4 don't work.

Anyone had any luck on a decently-priced wired headset where the controls work?

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I got myself a Moto X at a good price from someone who decided they wanted a Nexus 5 more. I'm looking for a decent screen protector to slap on it, any recommendations?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using CyanogenMod for so long that I can't remember if what I'm looking for is even in stock - is there a way to prevent the phone from waking up when I unplug it?

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

crazkylo posted:

So I got myself a Moto X at a good price from someone who decided they wanted a Nexus 5 more. I'm looking for a decent screen protector to slap on it, any recommendations?

Recommendation: don't buy a screen protector. Not being a smart-rear end -- literally no reason to purchase one. Enjoy your great new phone and don't worry about it!

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've been using CyanogenMod for so long that I can't remember if what I'm looking for is even in stock - is there a way to prevent the phone from waking up when I unplug it?
Nope.

mfaley posted:

Recommendation: don't buy a screen protector. Not being a smart-rear end -- literally no reason to purchase one. Enjoy your great new phone and don't worry about it!
Yep.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ahh, can't wait to get the Moto G. For once I probably won't have to root or install a custom ROM :toot:

Those of you with a Moto X, is the Motorola Connect Chrome extension useful? Do you get day to day use out of it? Hoping the Moto G is supported.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

mfaley posted:

I'd second this. Modern phone glass is incredibly scratch resistant. Screen protectors attract grease and mark easily.

You're more likely to crack the glass than scratch it. And a screen protector doesn't help against cracks.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

mfaley posted:

I'll recommend this too.

I'm trying going protector-less with my new Nexus 5, but if you feel you absolutely must have a screen protector, I had quite a good experience with ZAGG Invisible Shield protectors on my HTC One X.

I can understand the feeling that you need one.

EDIT: When I say a good experience, I mean that the screen looked largely the same with the protector on and it did its job of keeping scratches off my screen. I also had to clean the screen meticulously first the make sure nothing got stuck under it and there was still an eyelash caught under it that annoyed me every single day from then on.

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 16, 2013

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Screen protector = abomination

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I say no screen protector and no case either. Cases are for the careless.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

teagone posted:

Those of you with a Moto X, is the Motorola Connect Chrome extension useful? Do you get day to day use out of it? Hoping the Moto G is supported.

It's handy and I generally prefer to use it if I am at my desk, versus taking out my phone to see who is texting me. Only downside is that MMS is not supported so it misses group conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

I'd second this. Modern phone glass is incredibly scratch resistant. Screen protectors attract grease and mark easily.

Cell phone screens are ridiculous grease magnets too, and I've seen more than my fair share of scratched cell phone screens on modern phones. If you are worried about it at all, just put a screen protector on it and don't listen to the ultra-nerds.

• Locked thread