Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Ghostpilot posted:

Turns out that the "Quiet / Uber" switch position matters when flashing the bios. Seems that the memory type also matters, as it won't work on cards that have Elpida memory (which apparently is what Sapphire uses exclusively).

You can be test what memory your 290 has with this.

Interesting. I would think the BIOS switch wouldn't really make a difference as it's easily overwritten.

Seems like my MSI reference won't be able to be flashed though. It uses Elpida memory. :(

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

El Scotch posted:

How much radiator are you using?

A 360 in front that cools the cpu and a 360 in the back for the gpu loop.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
http://wccftech.com/amd-dual-gpu-hawaiixt-card-codenamed-vesuvius-coming-r9-290x-x2/
http://thepcenthusiast.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-x2-vesuvius-dual-gpu/

I... umm... I just... umm... yeah... umm... what even. :supaburn: :pcgaming:

I have to hand it to AMD. They really did choose an appropriate name for it. At least if you go reference on it.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 15, 2013

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Rahu X posted:

http://wccftech.com/amd-dual-gpu-hawaiixt-card-codenamed-vesuvius-coming-r9-290x-x2/
http://thepcenthusiast.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-x2-vesuvius-dual-gpu/

I... umm... I just... umm... yeah... umm... what even. :supaburn: :pcgaming:

I have to hand it to AMD. They really did choose an appropriate name for it. At least if you go reference on it.

It'll turn your computer into a volcano.

How do people realistically run cards like that in the real world?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For comparison purposes, the Radeon HD 7990 took two 250W TDP cards and combined them into a 375W card, trimming 125W. The R9 290X uses ~311W for the same workload (in Quiet mode), meaning AMD will need to trim 247W to fit into the same TDP. I think we can expect performance to suffer by a larger margin than previous dual-GPU cards.

I think nVidia targets exactly 300W for their dual-GPU cards, and since the GTX 780 Ti uses a similar amount of power to the R9 290X they'd have to trim more to make a GTX 790. nVidia's Boost seems to be more effective than AMD's PowerTune at extracting optimal efficiency from the available power and temperature headroom, but I don't know if we've seen enough analysis for me to say that with confidence.

I think we'll see AMD partner boards with 450W TDPs drawn from 3x8-pin PEG connectors and triple-slot coolers. We're at the point where someone might even poo poo out some 600W monstrosity too.

On another note, I'm still concerned about VRM cooling on R9 290 cards. It just strikes me as incredible that VRMs that overheat at normal (software max) fan speeds would be properly cooled when the fans are forced to higher speeds...versus just not quite overheating. It seems like AMD went to a lot of effort to cool that area of the card for it to be that simple, especially when overclocking, but maybe it really is fine and I'm just being a worrying babby. Anyone got a fancy IR camera and want to take pictures of the back of an R9 290X running BF4 with the stock cooler and an Accelero Xtreme III with high fans for comparison?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

go3 posted:

Some days I don't know whether to cheer for you or against you

Against, I am a bad influence, I mean you can go back a few pages and read my analysis of the current GPU situation and why doing what I'm doing is a bad idea for ANYONE, let alone somebody who just got a 780 that overclocks like a beast and runs stuff as well as most overclocked Titans can manage, and yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3MXiTeH_Pg

The only good things I do apart from trying to make some useful guides and that sort of thing involve dispensing generally solid "state of affairs" advice that I tend explicitly not to follow myself out of stupidity and chasing the dragon of another 25-35% improvement one wallet slam at a time, and then consequently providing expensive, high-performance, OC proven graphics cards at a good price to the good folks in this thread once I've used them for a year.

poo poo it hasn't even been a year, I got this fucker in June! That's four months! :suicide:

sethsez posted:

I'm sure it's not the first time you've said this, and I'm equally sure it won't be the last. :)

This poster knows what's up :qq:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 15, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
:ssh: Confession time: I bought my Sapphire 7970 Ghz Vapor-X in...early July or so, and sold it to a friend in September for something bigger and better. So you're not alone!

By the way, maybe there's been a miscommunication on my part, but are going in the order of:

You get the Ti > Send the 780 to Calvary > Calvary sends the 7970? I figured that was the way we were going since nobody would be without a card.

Or are we going in reverse order to get the money to you to get the Ti?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

:ssh: Confession time: I bought my Sapphire 7970 Ghz Vapor-X in...early July or so, and sold it to a friend in September for something bigger and better. So you're not alone!

By the way, maybe there's been a miscommunication on my part, but are going in the order of:

You get the Ti > Send the 780 to Calvary > Calvary sends the 7970? I figured that was the way we were going since nobody would be without a card.

Or are we going in reverse order to get the money to you to get the Ti?

I figure it's more comfortable for everyone if the order goes bottom-up instead of top-down. He sells his card to your friend, I sell my card to him, then everyone who wanted a card has a card, and everyone who needed money to buy a card has money to buy a card. I can limp along on my 650Ti for a few days waiting on a 780Ti to arrive, I'm assuming Sidesaddle is fine with waiting for the post office to get him his card, and it seems better this way in terms of ensuring that everyone has what they need in order to get what they want.

I guess in a way I'm "securing" the purchase chain, for lack of a better term, by the fact that I am willing to flat out buy a 780Ti just to have it even if all the rest fell through, but there's a nice order of good graphics pay-it-forward happening and I don't want to gently caress it up by insisting on me-first when, truthfully, it's not like I'm having graphics problems, I've got a GTX 780, you know?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Bleh Maestro posted:

It'll turn your computer into a volcano.

How do people realistically run cards like that in the real world?

Maybe if AMD stopped using cheap lovely plastic crap for their reference coolers...

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'd be surprised if they used the reference cooler on a card like that. Anything less than a very good double slot HSF a la the Accelero would be idiotic, especially after all the complaints on enthusiast forums about the reference cooler. IMO if they're going to do it right they should release a 3 slot HSF for a card like that. Done properly they could get rid of 300w+ of heat with a HSF like that without much if any noise and still keep the clock speed up.

Avg. Joe Sixpacks will laugh but people actually interested in buying a CF-on-a-stick video cards won't really care too much.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 15, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Agreed posted:

I figure it's more comfortable for everyone if the order goes bottom-up instead of top-down. He sells his card to your friend, I sell my card to him, then everyone who wanted a card has a card, and everyone who needed money to buy a card has money to buy a card. I can limp along on my 650Ti for a few days waiting on a 780Ti to arrive, I'm assuming Sidesaddle is fine with waiting for the post office to get him his card, and it seems better this way in terms of ensuring that everyone has what they need in order to get what they want.

I guess in a way I'm "securing" the purchase chain, for lack of a better term, by the fact that I am willing to flat out buy a 780Ti just to have it even if all the rest fell through, but there's a nice order of good graphics pay-it-forward happening and I don't want to gently caress it up by insisting on me-first when, truthfully, it's not like I'm having graphics problems, I've got a GTX 780, you know?

Well, in that case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj7al6MXu7U

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'd be surprised if they used the reference cooler on a card like that. Anything less than a very good double slot HSF a la the Accelero would be idiotic, especially after all the complaints on enthusiast forums about the reference cooler. IMO if they're going to do it right they should release a 3 slot HSF for a card like that. Done properly they could get rid of 300w+ of heat with a HSF like that without much if any noise and still keep the clock speed up.

Avg. Joe Sixpacks will laugh but people actually interested in buying a CF-on-a-stick video cards won't really care too much.

I reckon a modified form of Gigabyte's Windstream 3 could do it. 250W of cooler, but damned if it isn't good at moving heat off ... hot ... things.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
To be fair, the reference 7990 cooler is an open design. The 6990 was a.. semi blower design with a single fan and it both pushed air into the case and out of the back. That was awful and noisy.

The 7990 one however is definitely more capable.. http://anandtech.com/show/6915/amd-radeon-hd-7990-review-7990-gets-official/16

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, the reference 7990 cooler is an open design. The 6990 was a.. semi blower design with a single fan and it both pushed air into the case and out of the back. That was awful and noisy.

The 7990 one however is definitely more capable.. http://anandtech.com/show/6915/amd-radeon-hd-7990-review-7990-gets-official/16

Now I remember what the 7990 issue was - it was with Powercolor 7990s, they had some kind of terrible BIOS/fan controller issue that ended up causing the review models to tank badly. Or was it Sapphire. poo poo, it was one of them. Not all 7990s and not an issue anymore, that was a launch hiccup.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

Now I remember what the 7990 issue was - it was with Powercolor 7990s, they had some kind of terrible BIOS/fan controller issue that ended up causing the review models to tank badly. Or was it Sapphire. poo poo, it was one of them. Not all 7990s and not an issue anymore, that was a launch hiccup.

Yeah, there was a PowerColor 7990 before the 7990 was made official, so they had no reference design to go on.

With the reference cooler or some custom setup, and given the recent framepacing fixes, it's not actually a bad card now.

Edit: in fact, you can see PowerColor's fan results in that AnandTech article, they're sub-par

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 16, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, there was a PowerColor 7990 before the 7990 was made official, so they had no reference design to go on.

With the reference cooler or some custom setup, and given the recent framepacing fixes, it's not actually a bad card now.

Yeah, I've been obsessively pouring over benchmarks lately and I tell you what it's a strong competitor to the 780 Ti :clint: Take an average of games and they're pretty much neck and neck.

:getin:

Edit: Movax, amigo, petition to change thread name to "click for expensive as hell performance boost" tia

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 16, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

My boyfriend has foolishly offered to cover half of my next video card upgrade. I could conceivably hop on the 780 Ti train with Agreed and ditch this GTX 260 I've been running. :pcgaming:

Whatishappeningtome?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

My boyfriend has foolishly offered to cover half of my next video card upgrade. I could conceivably hop on the 780 Ti train with Agreed and ditch this GTX 260 I've been running. :pcgaming:

Whatishappeningtome?

I'm so sorry

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

To get this thread back in some kind of half-assed sensible track, the 290 bios flashing sure is interesting. Given that all boards are reference right now, if you're going to try to get the $500 card's performance for $400, now's the time to buy - but I don't really see much of a reason for it, given that the R9 290 non-x performs virtually identically to the R9 290x anyway. There's just so little separating them, I don't think it's really a great idea to risk a $400 purchase with a questionable BIOS flash for the sake of a theoretical maximum performance boost that small. We're not talking 6950 vs 6970, there just isn't a performance gulf to cross here. Potentially brick a $400 card to grab what isn't nearly worth $100 of performance difference in the first place? ... I don't know about that.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Hello, I am a grooving flourescent frog with asterisks for eyes. Let us proceed with the parade of grooving flourescent frogs with asterisks for eyes. :pcgaming:

I hope this chain reaction we're doing causes a shockwave that will get other people on this thread into buying new cards this month. It will be terrible and be full of appeals to emotion and impulsive decisions and evil and the GPU makers will have all of our money, mwahahahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pm4fQRl72k

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 16, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^ oops, bad timing for me?

Hello, I am a grooving flourescent frog with asterisks for eyes. Let us proceed with the parade of grooving flourescent frogs with asterisks for eyes. :pcgaming:

I hope this chain reaction we're doing causes a shockwave that will get other people on this thread into buying new cards this month. It will be terrible and be full of appeals to emotion and impulsive decisions and evil and the GPU makers will have all of our money, mwahahahaha.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 16, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:pcgaming:

So the rumour mill is suggesting Asus is making a...765? I don't even know what to call it; a SLI 760 all-in-one that's a 4gb 780?

I don't get it. :shrug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

El Scotch posted:

So the rumour mill is suggesting Asus is making a...765? I don't even know what to call it; a SLI 760 all-in-one that's a 4gb 780?

Well, it certainly would be an easier card to cool than a double290X Supaburn Edition. If ASUS can somehow sell it at a price point that makes people think about moving to it instead of a 780, there's that.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Agreed posted:

I'm so sorry

It's really all your fault.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

El Scotch posted:

That's a bit of oversimplification of how memory access works with SLI/Crossfire (well, actually, you know, we lump those together but they achieve the goal differently, so let's just go with SLI and be specific)... But, yeah, two 760s in SLI but with 4GB of VRAM has been a good price:performance option since before AMD even launched the R9s, it's still a good option. Thing is though, it kinda looks like it in fact has 4GB of VRAM, full stop, which means it's really very explicitly just two 760s in SLI, hopefully without much downclocking since GK104 runs lean and the 760 is an especially lean running variety considering its performance. Kepler architecture has excellent performance per watt, as seen with the GTX 690 (or the mobile lineup of higher end Kepler GPUs), it's possible they could put it together on one PCB without having to scale back performance since it's not even close to hitting the PCI-e power headroom on its own, and cooling two 760s is far from impossible.

If they wanted to put it up as a viable GTX 780 competitor I'd ask them to make a model with 8GB total of VRAM for two 4GB 760s in SLI, since barring overpriced varieties that's where the actual price:performance champ was at back when they were a new thing.

I'm going to poke around and see if prices have come down on the 760s with 4GB of VRAM, as two of them in SLI might actually still be a really good price:performance anomaly if retailers are charging post-R9 pricing on them finally. Dual-card SLI and dual-card Crossfire are close to being solved problems; the need to move workloads around coherently still means that they sacrifice some performance just for that overhead and they can't compete with the frame timing of powerful single GPUs, but FCAT has been kinder and kinder to dual-GPU solutions lately.

Edit: Nope, retailers still charging $300+ for them, that's $600 for two and for no sensible reason as that does not at all reflect the cost of the additional VRAM or of the minimal adjustment to the PCB required to accommodate them. Pretty lame considering how great AMD prices are on better performing cards, and how well AMD is doing with their own dual-card solutions lately.

Gonkish posted:

It's really all your fault.

I am horrible :qqsay:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 16, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

Nope, retailers still charging $300+ for them, that's $600 for two and for no sensible reason as that does not at all reflect the cost of the additional VRAM or of the minimal adjustment to the PCB required to accommodate them. Pretty lame considering how great AMD prices are on better performing cards, and how well AMD is doing with their own dual-card solutions lately.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel as if the 4GB 760s are one of the worst price:performance cards one could go with, given that the same $300 buys a R9-280X which outperforms it by a good bit.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel as if the 4GB 760s are one of the worst price:performance cards one could go with, given that the same $300 buys a R9-280X which outperforms it by a good bit.

You're completely right, and it's really a missed opportunity as, at the time of introduction, they offered a price:performance point that had only a handful of precedents - but only the 2GB models were ever sold for a fair price. nVidia's general pricing response to AMD's introduction of the R9 series (including the sub-290 cards that are just the Tahiti GPUs but with TrueAudio etc.) has been, in my opinion, reactive and somewhat underwhelming, focusing more on the high end where there are fewer units sold regardless of the value prospect of a given SKU. $300 and under ought to be a frothing mass of pricing competition, and AMD clearly gets that and has done some really aggressive price competition, even before the R9 launch, but we haven't seen the same level of engagement from nVidia.

My analysis would be that they're relying more on brand power and features that are already there, plus a great deal of integration into brand names and far superior mobile optimization software to get them into laptops... Competing in a different ecosystem where they know they can score points as opposed to really aggressively slugging it out in the desktop GPU space, since that's less of an impact on their bottom line, and they have enough brand power to coast for a bit on inertia while they work out their next moves. I mean, their game bundle is awesome, and some of the cards have had good price drops, but who in their right mind would get a GTX 760 4GB for $300 when you can get a 7970GHz edition (by any other name) for the same, or, sticking with nVidia, go up a bit in price to nab a significant boost in performance with a GTX 770.

After this bundle expires, what's next to keep up the value proposition in the face of strong price competition? It doesn't do just to compete in the high end, though they've got diversified revenue streams and don't have too much to worry in terms of market share... Maybe, like Intel, they're just okay at this point with overcharging enthusiasts because we'll grumble but we'll take it. AMD doesn't have that luxury.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hot drat, finally got my new PC built, with a shiny new GTX 780 TI in it, and drat is this rig fast and quiet now! My last PC was pushing 7 years old, so this new beast with all the latest bells and whistles is a drat treat.

Got a bit of a scare when I plugged it in for the first time and nothing happened, but it turned out it was just that the wall socket was dead. Other than that, was a pretty smooth build.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hot drat, finally got my new PC built, with a shiny new GTX 780 TI in it, and drat is this rig fast and quiet now! My last PC was pushing 7 years old, so this new beast with all the latest bells and whistles is a drat treat.

Got a bit of a scare when I plugged it in for the first time and nothing happened, but it turned out it was just that the wall socket was dead. Other than that, was a pretty smooth build.

Quick Q, what's your resolution and how much are you literally in love with your graphics card because I'd like an idea of where my heart will lie soon.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Agreed posted:

Quick Q, what's your resolution and how much are you literally in love with your graphics card because I'd like an idea of where my heart will lie soon.

Running 1920x1080 right now, but in a few paychecks I'll be upgrading the monitor to something larger and higher res.

And so far, very in love with this card. Virtually inaudible at idle, and under load just a gentle whisper. Part of that has to do with designing my entire system with quiet parts and a quiet case(without going full-on water-cooled), but it's still a very, very quiet card for how powerful it is. And although I don't put much stock in artificial benchmarks, it completely and utterly destroyed my old GTX 580 in 3DMark.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I went from a 7950 to a GTX 770 to an R9 290X. I bought the 7950 in August...

I winlose :(

I got the 290X on day one too, so seeing all this stuff about the 290 being as good for less money is just more salt in the wound haha

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Running 1920x1080 right now, but in a few paychecks I'll be upgrading the monitor to something larger and higher res.

And so far, very in love with this card. Virtually inaudible at idle, and under load just a gentle whisper. Part of that has to do with designing my entire system with quiet parts and a quiet case(without going full-on water-cooled), but it's still a very, very quiet card for how powerful it is. And although I don't put much stock in artificial benchmarks, it completely and utterly destroyed my old GTX 580 in 3DMark.

See, this is why I am not even really particularly married to a non-reference cooler - it'd be neat to get guaranteed exceptional components (i.e. it's known that Gigabyte is using Samsung or Hynix VRAM, and EVGA is using Hynix VRAM exclusively) but the reference cooler is just absolutely phenomenal. AMD, step it up fellas, people care about that poo poo and I want you to sell more things :3:

And, yeah, while the GTX 580 is still a hell of a card (Fermi part two was awesome), we already hit "card as good as two of them in SLI" with the GTX 780 provided it can hit a high enough overclock. We're into the "but can it beat a 690/7990" enthusiast space now, and, surprisingly, holy poo poo, apparently so in a suitably broad average of games, again provided it's got a respectable overclock (though even stock it turns in some pretty incredible numbers for one GPU going up against two powerhouses on one board - that being the rub, I reckon two 7970s in Crossfire proper would win out).

Digital Jesus posted:

I went from a 7950 to a GTX 770 to an R9 290X. I bought the 7950 in August...

I winlose :(

I got the 290X on day one too, so seeing all this stuff about the 290 being as good for less money is just more salt in the wound haha

That ... well, hey, man, you've got a 290x, that's, you know, that's pretty great, right? :kiddo:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Newegg currently has a pricing mistake on a Sapphire 7970 3GB GHz Edition for $220 after $20 rebate. I was half-heartedly looking for a replacement for my 560 Ti this holiday shopping season and I think I just found it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 16, 2013

Yolshi
Feb 14, 2012

Agreed posted:

"click for expensive as hell performance boost"

I love/hate you, Agreed. I went to EVGA Europe and they had ACX 780 Ti's in stock.

What have I done? :pcgaming:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Just a reminder that the GTX 780 is still a much better value if you're looking for high performance on the green side of things... I hope I'm not actually inspiring people to make bad value purchasing decisions, I don't know how to be clearer that I'm doing something dumb but enjoyable and that it's hardly necessary. The difference in FPS is something like, if a modern engine stresses DX11 properly, the 780 might put out 45fps while the 780Ti will be closer to 55fps or so. Since I'm going with G-Sync early on that's actually kind of a big deal, but for anyone who is sticking with conventional vsync and non G-sync monitors it is pretty far off the price:performance curve. My reasoning is pretty half-baked at any rate, but I hope you cats are just joking about doing this because of some warped influence I actually have, I take no responsibility for others' bad value purchases :colbert:

Yolshi
Feb 14, 2012

Oh I'm great at being a dumb on my own, you were just the straw that broke the camel's bank account. :v:

Haven't had a :rice: card since the 8800GTX, it is time. Hype as hell and it hasn't even shipped yet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yolshi posted:

Oh I'm great at being a dumb on my own, you were just the straw that broke the camel's bank account. :v:

Haven't had a :rice: card since the 8800GTX, it is time. Hype as hell and it hasn't even shipped yet.

The 8800GTX was expensive and fast, but not unreasonable, unlike the ridiculous 8800 Ultra. I seem to remember the Ultra being the card for the discerning money-hater.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

In 290 Unlocking news, here's the tally of manufacturers that have locked / unlocked cards.

airisom2 posted:

Just gonna update the status so far:

Sapphire- Three tested- no unlock Proof1 Proof2 Proof3
XFX- Seven tested- Three unlock- Two didnt- Two suspect (unlocked shaders, but GPU-Z has a bug showing them)Proof1&Proof2 Proof3 | Proof4 Proof5 | Proof6&Proof7
Powercolor- Four tested (Five counting the Videocardz Link)- All unlock Proof1 Proof2, Proof3 Proof4
Gigabyte- Two tested- no unlock on both Proof1 Proof2
Club3D- Not tested
HIS- Not tested
MSI- Two tested, no unlock Proof I believe these were suspect too.
ASUS- One tested, no unlock (I don't think iPDrop tested his other 290 with the stuff he went through, Be wary ASUS users) - Proof

Memory Chips:
Sapphire- Variable (Both Elpida and Hynix failed on flash)
XFX- Hynix
Powercolor- Variable (Been flashed on both Elpida and Hynix)
Gigabyte- Variable (Both Elpida and Hynix failed on flash)
Club3D- unknown
HIS- unknown
MSI- unknown
ASUS- Elpida

Keep in mind that all of them may be variable, but this is what we got so far.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Assuming I'm the crafty type, is there any reason that I can't jury-rig a closed-loop liquid CPU cooler onto a GPU die? Does the rest of the chipset really get that hot or could I stick some copper fins on the rest and let the case airflow do its job? I'm not overclocking and I just want to reduce noise at max load. The EVGA 770 I've got is surprisingly loud and Newegg has a quality liquid CPU cooler for $50.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai
Well, it seems like running the Accelero Xtreme III at 12V is more than adequate after all. Even with a decent OC.

It's making me thinking about finally getting around to installing mine sometime this weekend, or whenever I get the free time to do so. I'll be sure to post some results afterward.

There's also some theories going around saying that you might be able to fully control it via PWM since 13.11 Beta9.2 changed how the fans work, but I haven't seen any results on that yet. Not going to bother with that either, as the fan seems quiet enough under 12V that it won't be much of a bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

In addition to the above, here are some results with the Gelid Icy Vision rev2.

I'm thinking of snagging the Powercolor and a Gelid. Just a shame that it doesn't come with BF4 to help offset the cost of the cooler.

Edit: Agreed! Help! Talk me out of this!

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 16, 2013