Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, according to this and some other stuff Joker can refer to any hybrid type. So Jack is probably the correct term for the fourth LB in a 3-4.

quote:

These players with mutating roles are often known as “Jokers:”

The H-Back.
The strong side linebacker used as an open side defensive end.
The 3-4 outside linebacker in a zone-blitz scheme.
The running back/slot receiver.
The safety/corner.
The defensive tackle/defensive end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Are there limits (except the owner's greed) on the amount of coaches an NFL team have, or their salary?
Or to the amount of people involved in the franchise can be at the side line during a game?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
For the purposes of identifying the "Mike" it is not necessarily the middle linebacker, so mike/sam/will/jack don't have the same meaning here. They are not just finding him on the field and pointing to him. What the QB and center are doing is identifying the middle of the defensive scheme and the person that's the center's blitz or block responsibility. When Billick is saying it sets the protection, it means the center identifies his block responsibility, which gives any running backs their block responsibility as well depending on the play call and the line blocking scheme. You don't want to be running some sort of slant and suddenly the running back has to block a defensive tackle somehow.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The term "Joker" also tends to be used for tight ends who line up as a wideout more often than not. Think Jimmy Graham, or Aaron Hernandez before he killed someone.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Not that anyone cares any more, but "Mac" and "Jack" are the two linebackers that you have to have in the Arena Football League (they're not dead yet, but yeah, I hear 2007 calling as well). Mac's allowed to rush the QB, Jack has to stay in coverage and can't drop deep unless the QB pump fakes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

The term "Joker" also tends to be used for tight ends who line up as a wideout more often than not. Think Jimmy Graham, or Aaron Hernandez before he killed someone.

Maybe after, to be fair.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trin Tragula posted:

Not that anyone cares any more, but "Mac" and "Jack" are the two linebackers that you have to have in the Arena Football League (they're not dead yet, but yeah, I hear 2007 calling as well). Mac's allowed to rush the QB, Jack has to stay in coverage and can't drop deep unless the QB pump fakes.

That sounds like something straight out of playground football.

Are there any situations in arena league where a player isn't allowed to rush the QB until counting to five Mississippi?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is probably a complex question with no real answer, but I'm still really curious about how a defense really works as a whole since I'm still pretty new to really paying serious attention to football. If a team had a generally average LB core, is there a definite answer to whether an elite corner or an elite DE would be more beneficial to said defense, assuming each is equally elite for their position? I'm guessing the DE since he can apply pressure and work in the run game, but if said corner is Revis-level, that can completely shut down a side of a field, allowing more double-teams on the opposite side and the LBs to put more pressure.

Defense is really fascinating to me right now for some reason, I'm looking forward to learning :allears:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Trin Tragula posted:

I barely ever watched any AFL, but in college a friend and I found a big screen TV set up at a Best Buy to demo that AFL game EA made in '06. He picked up the controller, the computer team snapped the ball, he rushed the line as a linebacker and immediately got a penalty for leaving the little LB box. He went "What the gently caress?!", put down the controller, and we walked away.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is probably a complex question with no real answer, but I'm still really curious about how a defense really works as a whole since I'm still pretty new to really paying serious attention to football. If a team had a generally average LB core, is there a definite answer to whether an elite corner or an elite DE would be more beneficial to said defense, assuming each is equally elite for their position? I'm guessing the DE since he can apply pressure and work in the run game, but if said corner is Revis-level, that can completely shut down a side of a field, allowing more double-teams on the opposite side and the LBs to put more pressure.

Defense is really fascinating to me right now for some reason, I'm looking forward to learning :allears:

It's rarely as clear-cut as that in reality, but I think in a vacuum if most coaches/GMs were deciding between a CB and DE of equal talent level, most would go for the DE because by nature of the position the CB can only cover one player or area of the field at a time, whereas if the DE is creating pressure it creates a greater likelihood that the play is disrupted entirely no matter who the QB is targeting.

But the fact of the matter is that different defensive schemes can demand different responsibilities from a position. Can the CB blitz and shed blocks if the DC is in the habit of doing that, can the DE cover a running back running a passing route out of the backfield or is he purely a pass rusher, etc. It's not like Madden where players have numerical values for every aspect of what they can do, the tricky part of player evaluation is scouts and GMs (and to a degree the coaches themselves) figuring out if a player fits what they want out of that position on their team schematically.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's rarely as clear-cut as that in reality, but I think in a vacuum if most coaches/GMs were deciding between a CB and DE of equal talent level, most would go for the DE because by nature of the position the CB can only cover one player or area of the field at a time, whereas if the DE is creating pressure it creates a greater likelihood that the play is disrupted entirely no matter who the QB is targeting.

But the fact of the matter is that different defensive schemes can demand different responsibilities from a position. Can the CB blitz and shed blocks if the DC is in the habit of doing that, can the DE cover a running back running a passing route out of the backfield or is he purely a pass rusher, etc. It's not like Madden where players have numerical values for every aspect of what they can do, the tricky part of player evaluation is scouts and GMs (and to a degree the coaches themselves) figuring out if a player fits what they want out of that position on their team schematically.

This totally makes sense and is about what I was expecting for an answer. It's obviously a loaded question, but after following people's suggestions to try and watch line play more often I'm picking up on a bunch of crazy poo poo (to me) that I've never noticed before. For example, I really paid attention to the line on a play where the LG pulled to the right side of the line to open up a crazy running play (I think this was in the Bucs Dolphins game) and I was taken back as I'd never seen how drat quick that kind of play could unfold.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pulling guards executing a trap play properly is one of the most amazing sights football has to offer. Loved it since I read the description of a trap in the John Madden Football manual.

quote:

Like all good offensive plays, the Trap depends on deception to
work. The idea is you trap a defensive guy into thinking one thing
is happening, when really something totally different is going on.
For example, you let a defensive end just walk into the backfield.
You put up only token resistance. He's saying, "Man, this is a
piece of cake, I'm going to stuff this play and maybe get a sack!"
Suddenly an earth mover disguised as an offensive guard comes from
an unexpected direction and the defensive guy is on his backside
wondering what happened. The runner jets through the area where
the defensive guy was when he was standing up.

:clint:

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 14, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How come nobody ever does a fake fg/punt in the NFL?

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
I have a question.

I come from a Rugby Union background, where free flowing back pass the ball a lot.

The question is:
Why aren't laterals used a lot more in the NFL?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Bob Morales posted:

The Chargers did one four days ago

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

StoicFnord posted:

I have a question.

I come from a Rugby Union background, where free flowing back pass the ball a lot.

The question is:

You'll lose the ball, which is the single worst mistake you can possibly make.

Edit: The ball is pointier and a little harder to handle and you're going to get blown the gently caress up if you've got the ball out and flying around a lot. Rugby requires wrapping up (I think most do, anyhow, not too familiar with their rules, which is going to slightly slow down the tackle. In the NFL a guy is going to launch his shoulder right in to the ball a fraction of a second before you get it secured. It's just way harder to pull off.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 14, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StoicFnord posted:

I have a question.

The question is:

Its incredibly risky compared to Rugby Union. The play where a lateral is most likely to occur is the play that most resembles the free flowing offense with people spread across the field of Rugby, the kick off return. In all other play scenarios you're hoping to lateral across multiple defenders several of whom are likely already upon you due to lining up and by throwing a rather purposefully difficult to throw object that you have likely not attempted to throw since you were 10-12 years old you open yourself up to giving the opposition the ball which is dreadfully tough to recover from in football.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
Thanks for that. I am aware i don't have the exposure to gridiron i want to, so every small titbit helps.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yeah, it's not like the worst that would usually happen is someone drops it and then you can try to take the scrum against the head or push them off the ball at the next ruck. Maybe imagine if knocking on meant a free kick to the opposition on the centre of your 22? Turnovers in American football are that kind of drastic game-changing consequence.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Bob Morales posted:

Gary Kubiak never calls them and even we had a fake punt this year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Its relatively rare because the NFL is an overly conservative league so going for it on 4th has just started to become a thing teams will do in situations where its 99% the better option. The other reason is because its not a large part of the teams repertoire they don't necessarily have the training and experience to do it effectively resulting in disastrous outcomes if the defense doesn't bite.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

They're risky. The NFL, in particular, is dominated by risk-aversion in decisions. Coaches get fired frequently for trivial reasons, so high risk/high reward situations are avoided. Nobody ever loses their job for punting, but they will if they give up a winning touchdown after a fake punt gets stuffed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are probably better off just going for it in regular offensive formation anyway in situations where a fake punt would be a good idea.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

euphronius posted:

You are probably better off just going for it in regular offensive formation anyway in situations where a fake punt would be a good idea.
Yeah, speculating here but I think when they do a fake punt they noticed watching film that the other special team's scheme/players were vulnerable to something (totally ignoring the upback/personal protector, for example).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

StoicFnord posted:

Thanks for that. I am aware i don't have the exposure to gridiron i want to, so every small titbit helps.

Also, the ball doesn't mark offside. Anyone trailing the play can make a hit or grab the ball and be a-ok.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Also, the ball doesn't mark offside. Anyone trailing the play can make a hit or grab the ball and be a-ok.

Rugby offside applies at a tackle or kick but not in general play, defenders who miss tackles can still chase back and get involved as there hasn't been a tackle or a kick for them to be offside from.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Trin Tragula posted:

Rugby offside applies at a tackle or kick but not in general play, defenders who miss tackles can still chase back and get involved as there hasn't been a tackle or a kick for them to be offside from.

In the specific situation being asked (laterals in general play) the defenders will never be offside, right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

StoicFnord posted:

Just in case you haven't seen these here are a couple of examples of good lateral plays in American football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8O4fdNJtU8 (watch this to the end)

Most of them look like this though (warning--Benny Hill music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5O5V7-PcLE

Honestly that's a lie, most of them get blown up right away, like the first or second pitch gets screwed up and everyone dives on the ball.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

That loving kick never fails to crack me up.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

That loving kick never fails to crack me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg

e: lol loving trest man

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

e: lol loving trest man

Canadian announcers saying "out." :allears:

Can someone explain this clip from a rules perspective? Why are they kicking the ball out of the endzone?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Is it possible (although I can't think of any reason why) for the punt/kick returner to hoof the ball back upfield, rugby union style?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gambrinus posted:

Is it possible (although I can't think of any reason why) for the punt/kick returner to hoof the ball back upfield, rugby union style?

What does this combination of words mean? Kick it back?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 15, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think he's talking about the return man kicking the ball.

I don't think it's against the rules, but I can't fathom any reason why anyone would actually try it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Benne posted:

I don't think it's against the rules, but I can't fathom any reason why anyone would actually try it.

Possible in some end of game situations in Canadian football.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Thoguh posted:

What does this combination of words mean? Kick it back?

Yes. Sorry.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

I don't know about the kicking stuff, but in Canadian football, a touchback costs you 1 point (a rouge). Since the score was tied, letting the ball die in the endzone would cost them the game. Hence, I guess their rules allow kicking the ball immediately on a catch to get it out.

I don't think American rules have that. There is a fair catch free kick, but the catch has to be on the field of play (not the endzone) and play stops while the kick is set up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gambrinus posted:

Yes. Sorry.

I kind of figured, but when I hear "hoof it" I read that as "to walk".

I honestly wasn't sure what would happen so I asked the Internet. There is one situation that kind of works that way, a fair catch kick. Apparently one even happened this season.

It isn't immediate though. Basically after a fair catch the catching team has the option to immediately line up and attempt a field goal with no snap and the opposing team required to stand at least 10 yards away.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Thoguh posted:

I honestly wasn't sure what would happen so I asked the Internet. There is one situation that kind of works that way, a fair catch kick. Apparently one even happened this season.

It isn't immediate though. Basically after a fair catch the catching team has the option to immediately line up and attempt a field goal with no snap and the opposing team required to stand at least 10 yards away.

Yeah, the 49ers did this right before halftime and tried like a 70-yard field goal. They were already winning big by that point so I assume Harbaugh was just trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I've seen the Rackers attempt ( I was "watching" it on justintv ) and though "My word, that's unusual". Has anyone got a link to the successful NFL attempt in the 1970s? I've had a quick look on youtube and find watching videos on nfl.com a trial at best, and impossible at worst.

• Locked thread