Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I think IM+ still works but you should probably be looking for a new service anyway since they're moving everything over to Hangouts and third party Talk apps are going to stop working sometime in the near future afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good iOS notecard/list application? Right now I carry around an alphabetized stack of notecards, each with information and a mini to-do list. I'm looking for a replacement that would work on iOS. Dropbox/syncing support would be gravy.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 14, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Snuffman posted:

What's the best google talk client at the moment for iOS? I'd use Google Hangouts but it doesn't work with the party chat software my friends like to use and also doesn't have a desktop client (outside of chrome).

I was using Beejive which was pretty good except it seems like it's been totally abandoned by the developers and is acting crazy under ios7 (no portrait rotation? :()

I just want something simple, pleasant to use, that stays logged in even if I'm not currently in the app (but the app is running) and is universal. Multiclient is nice but not a must, just googletalk compatibility. I'm ok with paying more than a buck for something good (beejive was/is pricey in the day).

All the apps I see when search the App Store have almost universally negative reviews and seem abandoned by their devs.

Help. :(

Edit: Not to keen on imo. I don't want to have to create another account just to connect to an account I already have.

Try Trillian. It's free with ads, or there's a yearly pro subscription that removes ads and adds full convo histroy sync across all devices.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Even if you find an app you like the Kawaiiest makes a good point. Google is turning off XMPP support next year and hangouts will be pretty much closed off. If you're tied to google for your chatting needs may as well try migrating to hangouts now to become acclimated to it. The initial releases were buggy for me but the newest builds work well.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good iOS notecard/list application? Right now I carry around an alphabetized stack of notecards, each with information and a mini to-do list. I'm looking for a replacement that would work on iOS. Dropbox/syncing support would be gravy.

Simplenote? Evernote? Both sync (not w/ dropbox) and work perfectly for me.

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

DarkJC posted:

Try Trillian. It's free with ads, or there's a yearly pro subscription that removes ads and adds full convo histroy sync across all devices.

Suggesting Trillian as well. I purchased the lifetime sub because it synced across all platforms I would need to use. (mobile, desktop, web) You do need to make a trillian account, but if you're worried about that I can't help.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snuffman posted:

What's the best google talk client at the moment for iOS? I'd use Google Hangouts but it doesn't work with the party chat software my friends like to use and also doesn't have a desktop client (outside of chrome).

I was using Beejive which was pretty good except it seems like it's been totally abandoned by the developers and is acting crazy under ios7 (no portrait rotation? :()

I just want something simple, pleasant to use, that stays logged in even if I'm not currently in the app (but the app is running) and is universal. Multiclient is nice but not a must, just googletalk compatibility. I'm ok with paying more than a buck for something good (beejive was/is pricey in the day).

All the apps I see when search the App Store have almost universally negative reviews and seem abandoned by their devs.

Help. :(

Edit: Not to keen on imo. I don't want to have to create another account just to connect to an account I already have.
I think you can use imo without creating an existing account. I certainly don't use an imo account and I use it for AIM/Gtalk.

Importantly, it saves chat history on your iPhone whereas that's a paid feature on Trillian.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Godamn it, all this chat fragmentation is starting to irritate me. Bring back ICQ godamn it!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Godamn it, all this chat fragmentation is starting to irritate me. Bring back ICQ godamn it!
It really is annoying. Microsoft is moving MSN users over to Skype, but imo is blocked from accessing Skype, and there's still people who use Yahoo Messenger for some unknown reason.

Between AIM/GTalk, I feel like you pretty much have everyone covered.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I can't wait for everyone to buy Apple devices and use iMessage exclusively.

Everyone. :colbert:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Isn't everybody using the Facebook chat these days? Even Apple people I know almost exclusively use the FB messenger, not iMessage.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xabi posted:

Isn't everybody using the Facebook chat these days? Even Apple people I know almost exclusively use the FB messenger, not iMessage.

FB message doesn't always push.

charsiu
Mar 10, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Check out Listacular. It has a 3 list limit on the free version. Simplenote is good too, but requires a subscription for it to sync with Dropbox. I've heard that Notesy is a pretty good app but I have no experience with it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Xabi posted:

I don't FB because I'm old and the tubes and technology.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

iostream.h posted:

I don't FB because I'm old and the tubes and technology.
Too bad you're not a mom. I hear FB is the cool new thing with them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are there any Wikipedia apps that properly reformat tables? For example, if I'm reading through episode summaries for a TV show, the tables are always too wide to fit on screen, even in landscape mode on an iPhone 5.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Josh Lyman posted:

Are there any Wikipedia apps that properly reformat tables? For example, if I'm reading through episode summaries for a TV show, the tables are always too wide to fit on screen, even in landscape mode on an iPhone 5.

Wikiweb formats Wikipedia articles. I think you can also save articles for offline viewing as well. I got it free from Starbucks, but if I was a Wikipedia junkie I could see this being very nice.(paying for it)

decypher fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 14, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A bunch of apps that I use regularly got big updates today: Mint, iTunes U, iBooks, and the United airlines app. All of them look pretty nice.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Gmail was updated today as well. No background refresh mentioned in release notes. Looks like cosmetic update.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A bunch of apps that I use regularly got big updates today: Mint

I saw today too. Looks really good, really similar to the osx layout.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the Mint update but I don't care for the icon :colbert:

Text in the icon usually seems wrong.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

priznat posted:

I like the Mint update but I don't care for the icon :colbert:

Text in the icon usually seems wrong.

Do the amazon and eBay icons also piss you off? How about Facebook and it's giant F? Or google and it's giant g in everything?

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 15, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This icon is terrible because it has the name of a company that the user doesn't associate with Mint.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yesssss, that's it, the whole "intuit". I don't mind the amazon etc though.

It doesn't piss me off, I just don't care for it! Geez totally different goon gripe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

decypher posted:

Wikiweb formats Wikipedia articles. I think you can also save articles for offline viewing as well. I got it free from Starbucks, but if I was a Wikipedia junkie I could see this being very nice.(paying for it)
Son of a bitch, I've had the Starbucks app on my phone for forever! I guess I'll add it to my AppShopper wishlist and hope it goes on sale at some point.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

Do the amazon and eBay icons also piss you off? How about Facebook and it's giant F? Or google and it's giant g in everything?

Amazon's icons are all terrible (Store, Kindle, Cloud Drive, Music, and Instant Video), but I think the new Mint icon stands out because of how well they do design regarding all other aspects of the app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5106398/google-play-music-app-arrives-on-iphone-but-wont-let-you-buy-songs

Google Play Music is now available for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-play-music/id691797987?ls=1&mt=8

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 15, 2013

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Looks pretty good, It's missing a few things from Android but it works great. I was also able to renew my account at the $7.99 rate even after cancelling about 2 months ago.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Nask26 posted:

Looks pretty good, It's missing a few things from Android but it works great. I was also able to renew my account at the $7.99 rate even after cancelling about 2 months ago.

Did you cancel or suspend service? Good to know that I can shut it off for a while and not worry about it reverting to the normal rate.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

bam thwok posted:

Did you cancel or suspend service? Good to know that I can shut it off for a while and not worry about it reverting to the normal rate.

I'm pretty sure I cancelled it but to be honest I'm not sure.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
What I don't understand is why there isn't an iPad interface for Play Music. Google had plenty of extra development time, and guess which Apple products were *just* updated this month?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Nihiliste posted:

What I don't understand is why there isn't an iPad interface for Play Music. Google had plenty of extra development time, and guess which Apple products were *just* updated this month?

They are competitors, google has certain priorities and the fact that having more money than god doesn't magically ship code.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What's a good craigslist app?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

git clone trooper posted:

They are competitors, google has certain priorities and the fact that having more money than god doesn't magically ship code.

Well yeah, but it shouldn't be that hard for a company the size of Google to develop an iPad interface when their app is delayed by months.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

Well yeah, but it shouldn't be that hard for a company the size of Google to develop an iPad interface when their app is delayed by months.
Again, Google competes with Apple directly in the tablet market. They're not in any rush to make an amazing user experience on the iPad.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Again, Google competes with Apple directly in the tablet market. They're not in any rush to make an amazing user experience on the iPad.

Google charges $10 per month for All Access. I think it follows that having the widest release possible is financially beneficial!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Wadjamaloo posted:

What's a good craigslist app?

Safari?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I would like one that supports bookmarks (without clogging up safari bookmarks), saved searches, maybe a one tap email to self, an indicator for new posts you have not scrolled through and some other ease of use features I don't know that I need.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Wadjamaloo posted:

I would like one that supports bookmarks (without clogging up safari bookmarks), saved searches, maybe a one tap email to self, an indicator for new posts you have not scrolled through and some other ease of use features I don't know that I need.

Mokriya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This looks perfect. Nice big big pictures, a lot of the features are behind a paywall, but it's only .99 cents. Going to give it a try. Thanks.

• Locked thread