Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Which is already down to 1500 and will go fast. Also I got mine :smugdog:
Me, too. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Definitely worth getting, it's a good game and the rights seem to go all over the place. It vanished from Steam for a longass time.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
How is the download for Neverwinter Nights 2 only 6.9GB? The steam version is like 11. I'm assuming 'Complete' is the same as 'Platinum'

Also this is the fourth time I've purchased this game.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Oh cool, I missed Startopia. :smithicide:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
How does the campaign for NWN2 fair? I heard that the campaign for the first game wasn't that great, and most of the best content for it was user-created.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Max Wilco posted:

How does the campaign for NWN2 fair? I heard that the campaign for the first game wasn't that great, and most of the best content for it was user-created.

NWN2's original campaign has such a mindnumbingly stupid ending that I have never been able to get anyone to believe me when I say what it was.

I hear Mask of the Betrayer is good, though.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Max Wilco posted:

Midnight Voyager posted:

NWN2's original campaign has such a mindnumbingly stupid ending that I have never been able to get anyone to believe me when I say what it was.

I hear Mask of the Betrayer is good, though.

Yeah, the ending of NWN 2 is a complete non sequitur but the campaign for both NWN 1 and 2 are pretty good! Hordes of Underdark and Mask of the Betrayer are absolutely fantastic, though.

Also they're stand-alones, so you can create a new hero - or use a prerendered character - and start them immediately without playing the original content.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Got NWN 2, I think I'm done; I got enough games to keep me busy for a while.

Who am I fooling? They'll stay in my backlog as any other games I get on sales.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

How is the download for Neverwinter Nights 2 only 6.9GB? The steam version is like 11. I'm assuming 'Complete' is the same as 'Platinum'

Maybe it gets to 11 GB after installing? Steam always lists the install size, not the download size.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

The wiki is almost essential to learn what game breaking bugs you might encounter and how you can brick your game. Easily avoided by making a new save file each time you save so you can go back to a previous one. Management of the stronghold is also crazy broken and its best to just follow a step by step guide to build it up/organize it.

Mask of the Betrayer is easily one of the best RPG campaigns ever made.

The 3rd one I forgot what its called but its just a 'make 6 NPCs explore dungeons' type of expansion.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

saucerman posted:

Maybe it gets to 11 GB after installing? Steam always lists the install size, not the download size.

Derp, you're correct. Download for the steam version is 7.2 GB.

edit: Also there are a ton of great mods and fanpatches for NWN 2, so much so that you should probably go look into the NWN thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548991

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 16, 2013

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

pentyne posted:

The wiki is almost essential to learn what game breaking bugs you might encounter and how you can brick your game. Easily avoided by making a new save file each time you save so you can go back to a previous one. Management of the stronghold is also crazy broken and its best to just follow a step by step guide to build it up/organize it.

Thanks for the info. Fallout: New Vegas is kind of the same way in that regard, not only in avoiding bugs, but in figuring out all the quest-line triggers for the companions.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Total Annihilation up now!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Thanks for the info. Fallout: New Vegas is kind of the same way in that regard, not only in avoiding bugs, but in figuring out all the quest-line triggers for the companions.

They're made by the same people. Obsidian puts an amazing amount of depth and branching choices into their games but never get anywhere near the right amount of QA they'd need to spot the biggest problems.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

pentyne posted:

They're made by the same people. Obsidian puts an amazing amount of depth and branching choices into their games but never get anywhere near the right amount of QA they'd need to spot the biggest problems.

This. News of Obsidian releases always fills me with equal parts elation and terror.

I backed Project Eternity, though. What can I say, I'm a gambler.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
The beginning of NWN 2 is so god damned boring, I kind of recommend just skipping it entirely and going directly to MotB because most people who got it from this sale will install, get bored, then never play it again. Tis a shame.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

I backed Project Eternity, though. What can I say, I'm a gambler.

I would think that if they're not under the pressure of a set release date, they'll have more time to do proper QA.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toadsniff posted:

The beginning of NWN 2 is so god damned boring, I kind of recommend just skipping it entirely and going directly to MotB because most people who got it from this sale will install, get bored, then never play it again. Tis a shame.

And the ones who don't will hit the end of NWN2 and uninstall the whole thing immediately. I never touched a single NWN-titled game after I hit that ending, not even the expansion.

I should probably at least try the expansion, but that ending is infuriatingly stupid. Forget the Mass Effect 3 ending, that one is the real All-time Moronic Ending.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Toadsniff posted:

Is it like the beginning of NWN 1? People say it is boring as well but I didn't mind.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

And the ones who don't will hit the end of NWN2 and uninstall the whole thing immediately. I never touched a single NWN-titled game after I hit that ending, not even the expansion.

I should probably at least try the expansion, but that ending is infuriatingly stupid. Forget the Mass Effect 3 ending, that one is the real All-time Moronic Ending.

Mask of the Betrayer really makes it all worth it. It's been a long time since I played but it's one of the few games where I genuinely felt invested in the characters and the story being told (that's because it's a good old fashioned Greek Tragedy.)

But yeah, the ending to NWN2 isn't merely moronic in the way that Mass Effect 3 was, it's an outright gently caress-you to the player in case you'd made the mistake of caring about anything in the story. Ending spoiler: It's literally 'rocks fall, everyone dies. Maybe'.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
NWN2 starts off fine if a bit generic opening to a grand rpg adventure but then the plot comes to a screeching halt once you get to neverwinter.

It picks up a lot after act 1.

Edit: I can understand why some people would be upset by the ending but it really didnt bother me.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 16, 2013

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Don't Starve allowed me enough time to prepare dinner, so I guess it's doing it's job.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
One thing to say in favor of NW2 campaign is that, at least for me, it's one of the really few RPGs in which it really feels like getting a character from level 1 all the way to 20. Perhaps too long, uneven, with some very well done bits and an ending which was, yes, quite stupid.

However, if afterwards you immediately fire up MotB, as you should, you will quickly forget about the stupid ending. The only thing that's better than that expansion is Planescape Torment.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The only thing worse than the sale getting stuck on a bad game is it getting stuck on a good game.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Since there's some NWN chat in here, here's a question: I own the whole D&D game collection on GOG. Which game in that pack should I give priority to? (Minus Planescape, already having a go at that.)

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The only thing worse than the sale getting stuck on a bad game is it getting stuck on a good game.

GOG is just concerned with the health and well being of their customers.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

BKPR posted:

Since there's some NWN chat in here, here's a question: I own the whole D&D game collection on GOG. Which game in that pack should I give priority to? (Minus Planescape, already having a go at that.)

Baldur's Gate 2 is probably the best of the bunch after Planescape. Make sure to download and install the fixpack: http://www.gibberlings3.net/

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Since the sale has stalled, how is the original Realms of Arkania?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Sale has moved on!

Shadow Man is up now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Was Neverwinter Nights 2 a last chance? because If so, I'm quite pissed that I chose to do something meaningful and not waste around and look at a counter during the sale.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BKPR posted:

Depends on your mood. Planescape is very heavily story driven and you'll mostly spend your time talking to NPCs and exploring a strange world. Icewind Dale is pretty much like a traditional CRPG, create a party and go dungeon crawling and fight tons of monsters along the way while paying very little attention to the story. Baldur's Gate is a mixture of the two, you create your main PC and recruit NPCs along your way and there's a semi-involved plot and tons of monsters to wack and loot to steal.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Fargin Icehole posted:

Was Neverwinter Nights 2 a last chance? because If so, I'm quite pissed that I chose to do something meaningful and not waste around and look at a counter during the sale.

I think it was.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Buy Shadow Man nerds, for it is good.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Yeah, sure, what the hell. I've tossed a fortune at GOG.com over the past couple days, what's a little more (while I wait for HoMM III and Geneforge to pop up again in rotation) going to hurt?

Do you have any experience with the HD texture mod? The game looks interesting enough but the murkiness of the screen shots and YouTube clips seems oppressive.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I picked it up too, looks good enough. I've actually really liked this sale, even including the hilariously infuriating Jack Keane 2 fiasco.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I loaded up Shadow Man and, just from the first hour or so, it's aged surprisingly well. The voice acting is decent, the controls aren't the worst thing in the world (if you just don't use the mouse, either go controller or keyboard only, mouse control is rear end no matter what), story is pretty cool. Surprisingly creepy too, a couple of jump-scare type bits (very minor) actually got me a little.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is true, but the middle was pretty entertaining. (Enough to be worth playing it once.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here comes another snoozefest, as Retro City Rampage took forever last time and now there 600 more copies to go through.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Where are they going to find 600 people who want Retro City Rampage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Did...did anyone else see 40 copies of Aquanox 2 for free right before RCR showed up?