Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

TheRamblingSoul posted:

For someone who wants to travel to Japan and stay for X amount of weeks in an immersion accelerated language program, what are some of the best/top-rated programs or highly recommended language institutes in the country?

Also, is it advisable to stay in Tokyo to study Japanese or would it be better to travel out to a more rural area for language immersion and to avoid English? If it's not a big difference, I think I'd rather stay in Tokyo or Osaka or another large city, but my first and primary commitment (besides my "day job" of copywriting over the internet) would be learning the language practically (ie getting to use my Japanese outside of class on the street) and effectively.

I am biased here but I suggest a smaller city to study Japanese in. The best thing you can do in Japan to improve your Japanese is make friends with the locals and it is much harder to do so in a big city like Tokyo or Osaka simply because of all the logistics involved with making friends. You want your school and accommodation to be close to where young people are because they are most likely to be the people you can most easily make friends with. In bigger cities that means spending more money. Also, as a foreigner it benefits you to be in places with less foreigners because that means people who want to be friends with foreigners have less choices.

That being said, I think Fukuoka is a great choice as a place to study. It is very easy to live there and they are very friendly towards foreigners. I was also very impressed with Kumamoto when I went there a few weeks ago but it is a bit harder to get to. I wouldn't worry so much about regional dialects - unless you are going to the middle of nowhere in Akita and spend all of your time talking to fishermen you should end up speaking in a way that the majority of the people all over Japan understand. Look at the various cities in Japan and read up about them. It's better to be a big fish in a smaller pond if your goal is to immerse yourself. Also, since you aren't going to be here for that long make sure you pick a place where you will like the weather during the season you will be here. If you hate the heat then Sapporo might be good if you are coming during the summer. If you aren't a fan of cold then somewhere more southern would be better during the winter. And try to avoid the rainy season if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
My wife and I will be traveling to Tokyo for the first time at the end of November. We've got a good list of places to shop, visit, and sight see at but are not really sure on food. What are some good places for Japanese cuisine ranging from cheap meals to a nice $100+ per person dinners?

I do have some first timer questions that I'm not entirely sure if these are okay or not. I have habit of carrying around a utility knife (3" blade that folds) due to my work and because I find it handy. Can I still carry it with me around in Japan or are they not allow? We are planning on taking the N'EX train from Narita to Tokyo but for the life of me I can't make sense of their train schedule. Does anyone know if the the N'EX train stops at Ikebukuro? The schedule lists it as a stop but there are usually no times listed next to it. I'm coming from Washington State where it's mid-50s to high 40s with on and off rain. Should I expect something similar to that in Tokyo as well?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Some Narita Express do stop at Ikebukuro but if that's your final destination, you're better off taking the Keisei Skyliner to Nippori and then switching to the Yamanote Line there. This route is both cheaper and quicker than taking the Narita Express.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Degoon yourself and don't walk around with a knife.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

I am OK posted:

This is generally good advice for living anywhere outside the Australian Outback.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

DiscoJ posted:

Some Narita Express do stop at Ikebukuro but if that's your final destination, you're better off taking the Keisei Skyliner to Nippori and then switching to the Yamanote Line there. This route is both cheaper and quicker than taking the Narita Express.

We're arriving at 4pm on Thursday. How bad does rush hour get?

I am OK posted:

Fair enough.

Should I get dollars exchanged for yen state side or wait till I get to Japan?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Carfax Report posted:

This is generally good advice for living anywhere outside the Australian Outback.

Lies. I aways had a knife and gun on me back home. To fight homeless people. Like Rudy Giuliani intended.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Revolver Bunker posted:

We're arriving at 4pm on Thursday. How bad does rush hour get?

Fair enough.

Should I get dollars exchanged for yen state side or wait till I get to Japan?

You will get a better rate in Japan. Also, the trains can be pretty crowded in the evening but it is nothing compared to the mornings.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I am OK posted:

This is pretty rich.

The real answer is that the length limit for carrying a knife on you is 6cm, so 3" is too long, and if something happens you'll get in trouble. You also supposedly need some reason to carry one, and very importantly you can't suggest that you would ever use it for self-defense.

Leave it at home, or grab something small and inoffensive like a Swiss card to throw in your pocket.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Take the bus.
no transfers or weird schedules. Carfax told me years ago to take the bus, after I've been using the NEX for ages, bus is better. way better.

riderkick
May 7, 2007

A fellow washingtonian AND a super robot fan, fantastic. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Weather: Tokyo is experiencing Seattle weather right now. Chilly at nights, bouts of cold rain. A rain-proof jacket would be nice if you're going to be out and about. Although, if you're taking public transportation, don't wear too many layers. A packed subway is very very warm.

Knife: Probably best to leave it at home. Japan is very strict when it comes to guns and knives. Seems like it may cause an unnecessary hassle for you.

Food: Unfortunately I eat pretty cheap so don't have too many suggestions. There's a couple of really nice places around Tokyo station I could introduce you to if you'll be in that area. If you're staying at a hotel I would just ask the concierge, tell them what kind of food you're after and they can usually point one out for you.

Travel: If you know which hotel you may be able to take a limousine bus directly to your hotel (on that area).

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I can at least look stuff up for you.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I'll arrive at Narita airport at about 7pm on Monday, I have to clear customs then catch the Keisei electric to Ueno. Is it gonna be easy enough that late?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Should be fine, that's really not very late at all.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mug posted:

I'll arrive at Narita airport at about 7pm on Monday, I have to clear customs then catch the Keisei electric to Ueno. Is it gonna be easy enough that late?

The last Keisei is a little after 10:30 so you'll be fine.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Awesome, thanks heaps. I see this stuff about the Skyliner being "All seats reserved", what does that mean? Can I order a ticket online or something? The website doesn't seem to let me do that. Can I just take the Access Express instead anyway?

riderkick
May 7, 2007

Most likely it means assigned seating.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mug posted:

Awesome, thanks heaps. I see this stuff about the Skyliner being "All seats reserved", what does that mean? Can I order a ticket online or something? The website doesn't seem to let me do that. Can I just take the Access Express instead anyway?

You can just buy a ticket there. I don't know if you even can reserve tickets, and at any rate it shouldn't be necessary. I don't think it ever gets full. I've never taken it myself, because is rather save money and take the slightly slower normal train, but I've seen it getting boarded at Narita and I don't recall it ever seeming crowded.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Aah, awesome, I'll probably catch it just for the novelty of the super-fast train or whatever.

I saw the OP says that free/open Wifi is becoming fairly uncommon now. My brother-in-law was in Tokyo a month ago and he said he ran into hotspots pretty often he could use. I'm going to be strictly around the Ueno area most of the time, am I likely to be able to rely on open Wifi or should I just pre-purchase something and be done with it?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mug posted:

Aah, awesome, I'll probably catch it just for the novelty of the super-fast train or whatever.

I saw the OP says that free/open Wifi is becoming fairly uncommon now. My brother-in-law was in Tokyo a month ago and he said he ran into hotspots pretty often he could use. I'm going to be strictly around the Ueno area most of the time, am I likely to be able to rely on open Wifi or should I just pre-purchase something and be done with it?

It isn't really that fast. As far as wifi is concerned I wouldn't want to rely on random hotspots for access if you are going to be needing the internet on a regular basis. Try to rent a portable wifi device if you want internet everywhere.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Awesome, thanks, I'll have internet in the hotel, but I wouldn't mind having easy access to google maps while I'm walking around.

edit: If anyone wants to grab a drink somewhere between Ueno and Ochanomizu next week any time, I'll be there with time to spare.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mug posted:

Mug posted:

Awesome, thanks, I'll have internet in the hotel, but I wouldn't mind having easy access to google maps while I'm walking around.

edit: If anyone wants to grab a drink somewhere between Ueno and Ochanomizu next week any time, I'll be there with time to spare.

Like Ned said I wouldn't rely on free wireless, get a portable, or of that's too expensive you could try a wireless service like Wi2 300: http://300.wi2.co.jp/campaign/visa/index_sp_en.html

Haven't used it myself but I've heard it's good

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Revolver Bunker posted:

What are some good places for Japanese cuisine ranging from cheap meals to a nice $100+ per person dinners?

From earlier back in June but still totally relevant:

CrazyLittle posted:

How's your Japanese reading skills? "Tabelog" is the Japanese analog to Yelp in the USA, and it's a pretty good indicator of where the locals eat.

My picks:
Go to menya Fu-Unji a few blocks south of Shinjuku station, and order the special tsukemen. Be prepared to stand in line to get in. This guy's line can stretch down the block at its peak.

If you want sushi, go to Ginza east of Tokyo. It's the closest area to the Tsukiji fish market, and unless the place is REALLY bad you're probably going to get really really good quality sushi. You get what you pay for, of course, but the base quality is simply higher in that area. When my wife and I were there in June we tried a place that specialized in ohtoro, called Itamae Sushi (literally "sushi chef") a little way away from Ginza station. We went during lunch and got two special plates, the maguro special plate ($20), and the assorted sushi plate ($10). They sold out of maguro specials after we ordered. Also keep in mind that many places change their entire menus between lunch and dinner, so plan carefully and don't be late!

For cheap/fast sushi, even the sushi-train places are good. This place was the one right next to the south tip of Shinjuku station, and yellowtail-belly was $2.10/plate. I've never been so spoiled:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Like Ned said I wouldn't rely on free wireless, get a portable, or of that's too expensive you could try a wireless service like Wi2 300: http://300.wi2.co.jp/campaign/visa/index_sp_en.html

Haven't used it myself but I've heard it's good

If you're staying upwards of a week, just pay the $30-40 for international data roaming and cancel it when you get back. The carrier may even pro-rate you for the unused time. That should be enough to fill your google map searches, and cheaper than the daily mobile hotspot fees + possible data transfer (that some of them charge per kb).

IMHO Don't bother with Wi2. I tried it out and it was spotty at best even at the wi2premium access points. At least I didn't pay full price.

CrazyLittle posted:

I paid for a week-pass on Wi2 around Tokyo and it was not a pleasant experience. You constantly get kicked off and have to log back in again. It was hardly worth the ~$15 cost (Visa tourist special)

Oh, and if you're going to be glued to your smartphone the whole time, bring a usb battery pack to charge your phone with. A 3000mah pack should be able to keep you running all day without needing to find a power outlet until you get back to your hotel.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 15, 2013

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

If you're staying upwards of a week, just pay the $30-40 for international data roaming and cancel it when you get back. The carrier may even pro-rate you for the unused time. That should be enough to fill your google map searches, and cheaper than the daily mobile hotspot fees + possible data transfer (that some of them charge per kb).

I live in Australia, international data roaming is not even remotely an option, would cost a few hundo.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mug posted:

I live in Australia, international data roaming is not even remotely an option, would cost a few hundo.

I have a portable wifi device I don't use that I could let you borrow but it would mean you'd have to return it to me before you leave which could be a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Ned posted:

I have a portable wifi device I don't use that I could let you borrow but it would mean you'd have to return it to me before you leave which could be a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Eh, probably not worth buggering around with. I'll just wing it; adventure!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If you're considering data just for google maps access. FYI there's an app called City Maps 2Go (apple android) which is designed for use offline. The maps are decent and have everything a tourist needs. Not quite Google Maps level of detail but you can drop pins and search for poo poo etc. all offline.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
Probably worth mentioning that last time I went, I had all data switched off on my phone (and no credit anyway) so that it couldn't possibly star roaming and when we get lost on the way to the hotel from narita I checked gmaps and it was actually updating our position in real time with no internet connection whatsoever. I browsed over all the maps prior to leaving so that they were cached. I have no idea how this worked and it might be literal magic.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

diddy kongs feet posted:

Probably worth mentioning that last time I went, I had all data switched off on my phone (and no credit anyway) so that it couldn't possibly star roaming and when we get lost on the way to the hotel from narita I checked gmaps and it was actually updating our position in real time with no internet connection whatsoever. I browsed over all the maps prior to leaving so that they were cached. I have no idea how this worked and it might be literal magic.

I don't know poo poo about phones, but location data must be done through something that doesn't involve data, because I've been outside of Japan with data off and my photos still get a location stamp.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

GPS requires no data connection to work, only line of sight with the satellites.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Downsides to not having a data connection for navigation:
- Without a data connection for assisted GPS, most phones may be pretty slow to get initially get a fix I think. Use of wifi networks to identify locations may somewhat make up for this, but I haven't tested it and don't know how complete this information is for different places.
- Google maps can't cache train information as far as I know. I'm sure there are apps, but in Japan where trains are actually on time, being able to get directions that automatically figure out the trains/subway is incredible.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

For what it's worth, JR and Tokyo Metro stations (usually) have free wifi. It might be slightly more convenient to get a paid wifi service or data, but you definitely don't need to. Using Google Maps for things like search and directions in stations and City Maps 2Go for on-the-street navigation is what I did, and it worked pretty well.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Thanks for the tips. My Japanese is very so-so (elementary level) but I'll take a look at Tabelog. Definitely interested in ramen and noodles. I've also been told that I should go visit Go-Go Curry.

I have T-Mobile and they claim that I can get international data free of charge so we'll see if that is true when I get there.

Thanks for the offer Riderkick. I'll most likely send you a PM later with some questions once I look up some more places.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

I have T-Mobile and they claim that I can get international data free of charge so we'll see if that is true when I get there.
Is this is the new thing they just announced a month or two ago? If so, it's just 2G right? (Even if it is it's probably enough for basic navigation when you can't get wifi, especially if you cache maps in advance.) Please report back on how well it works in Japan.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

mystes posted:

Downsides to not having a data connection for navigation:
- Without a data connection for assisted GPS, most phones may be pretty slow to get initially get a fix I think. Use of wifi networks to identify locations may somewhat make up for this, but I haven't tested it and don't know how complete this information is for different places.
- Google maps can't cache train information as far as I know. I'm sure there are apps, but in Japan where trains are actually on time, being able to get directions that automatically figure out the trains/subway is incredible.

Subway trains are every 2 mins and overground every 10. You don't need to know train times - just turn up and wait.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I am OK posted:

Subway trains are every 2 mins and overground every 10. You don't need to know train times - just turn up and wait.
Surely this depends on where you are and whether you're trying to board an express train? But anyway, you can't get Google Maps to give you routes at all if it can't access the internet.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mystes posted:

Surely this depends on where you are and whether you're trying to board an express train? But anyway, you can't get Google Maps to give you routes at all if it can't access the internet.

As a tourist you should basically never have to deal with that though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

OK, but even if you just take local trains / subway everywhere, as a tourist you might want to be able to get directions from point to point that include instructions on which trains to take, right? And you can't get that from Google Maps without internet, right?

I'm really not trying to start some sort of weird railway derail or something. I have used Google Maps for this purpose and it was pretty awesome, to the point where I might want to go out of my way to get internet access to use it. I mainly just mentioned trains running on time because stuff being different from the schedule makes using Google Maps for public transportation totally suck in the US.

I'm sure if you had an integrated offline navigation/train route program that would be even more convenient but I don't know if such a thing exists or not.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 16, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo what is wrong with you tourists. You guys sound like brokeass 14 year olds with iPod touches because you need to rely on free wifi. This just shows how bad north americans are with smart phones. It's near 2014, apps are plentiful, LTE is looming everywhere, 7 generations of iPhones are already out and Steve jobs is loving dead.

Data is not expensive at all and very.convenient. Once you land in the airport, either rent a wifi hotspot or a gsm sim card. If you use Verizon then you are subhuman. That's it, end of discussion. If you ever read the OP, then you probably know that if you want to meet goons, get on LINE and just message people to meetup/for tourists questions/translation help.

Heck even obnoxious mainland Chinese tourists from the country side who can't for their lives use a sit down toilets can use smartphones.

Now if you never had a smart phone and saved very very hard to travel then good job. You probably have your planned a lot of things so good for you.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

caberham posted:

Data is not expensive at all and very.convenient. Once you land in the airport, either rent a wifi hotspot or a gsm sim card.

$15/day is not cheap.

CrazyLittle posted:

Wifi hotspot rental: 1,575 Yen/Day (incl.tax)

iPhone SIM: The data communication (e.g. web browsing, web based email, packet communication etc.) charge is 0.32 yen/packet(128bytes) and this charge is capped at 1,500 yen per day.

Data cap plan does not cover rental fee, voice calls, video calls, SMS, S!Mail(MMS), International SMS, or International S!Mail(MMS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

caberham posted:

Holy loving poo poo what is wrong with you tourists. You guys sound like brokeass 14 year olds with iPod touches because you need to rely on free wifi. This just shows how bad north americans are with smart phones. It's near 2014, apps are plentiful, LTE is looming everywhere, 7 generations of iPhones are already out and Steve jobs is loving dead.

Data is not expensive at all and very.convenient. Once you land in the airport, either rent a wifi hotspot or a gsm sim card. If you use Verizon then you are subhuman. That's it, end of discussion. If you ever read the OP, then you probably know that if you want to meet goons, get on LINE and just message people to meetup/for tourists questions/translation help.

Heck even obnoxious mainland Chinese tourists from the country side who can't for their lives use a sit down toilets can use smartphones.

Now if you never had a smart phone and saved very very hard to travel then good job. You probably have your planned a lot of things so good for you.

I didn't know I could just rent a wifi hotspot when I landed at the airport. I don't need to pre-organize anything? That'll probably be the way to go.

Your post kinda goes off on a weird trail after that which I can't follow. Are you implying that I'm not using a smart phone or something? I live in Australia, I'm bringing my iPhone to Japan and roaming data would cost me about $1,000USD to cover me for the trip so I'm just asking what the good local solutions are at super-short notice.

• Locked thread