Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Anyone got experience with Linux Containers (or other related OS-level virtualization)? I like the idea of separating the different functions on my home server into different, sandboxed subsystems, but I haven't seen a lot of people using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

stray posted:

Anyone got experience with Linux Containers (or other related OS-level virtualization)? I like the idea of separating the different functions on my home server into different, sandboxed subsystems, but I haven't seen a lot of people using it.

You're probably the only person interested in this who isn't sperging about Docker (Openstack recently supports it), but OpenVZ is also effectively a container-based system. Do you have questions?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

evol262 posted:

You're probably the only person interested in this who isn't sperging about Docker (Openstack recently supports it), but OpenVZ is also effectively a container-based system. Do you have questions?
Well, I'm a newbie to this sort of thing. I'd read about FreeBSD jails and I like the idea of breaking the system up into smaller OS environments that can have their own users, permissions, etc. My home NAS is running FreeNAS and so different applications (e.g., Transmission) are jailed. How have you been using this kind of virtualization? How's the overhead? Worth it?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

stray posted:

Well, I'm a newbie to this sort of thing. I'd read about FreeBSD jails and I like the idea of breaking the system up into smaller OS environments that can have their own users, permissions, etc. My home NAS is running FreeNAS and so different applications (e.g., Transmission) are jailed. How have you been using this kind of virtualization? How's the overhead? Worth it?

I principally use container-based virt for one-off jobs that I don't feel like sending through Nova, generally. Building packages for RHEL on Fedora in a more complicated way than mock already does, etc.

Almost everything I run is hardware virt rather than container virt, but there's not a lot of practical difference for what you're doing at home other than being able to easily nest it inside another solution. Your question is effectively "what do you use virtualization for and is it worth it?", which only you can effectively answer.

In general, LXC is broadly comparable to jails, and Docker is a Vagrant-ish wrapper around LXC for SaaS-ish uses.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Hope this is the right thread.

I'm trying to setup postfix on an Ubuntu server to be an SMTP gateway that does not accept local mail but rather just relays mail for certain domains to another smart host using a different port (need to bypass ISP blocking).

So in my main.cf file I have transport_maps = path/file

Inside that file I have the following:

example1.com smtp:smarthost.com:2525
example2.com smtp:smarthost.com:2525

When I send a test email, the email goes into the deferred queue because instead of resolving the domain of smarthost.com to an IP, it's looking up the MX record and trying to send to that for some reason. However, if I instead put:

example1.com smtp:[IP ADDRESS]:2525
example2.com smtp:[IP ADDRESS]:2525

it works and sends to the IP address.

Is this normal behavior? I don't want it to search for the MX record of the domain I put in there but rather just send to the IP that the domain resolves to.

edit: gently caress, I just figured it out, never mind.

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html posted:

The [] forces Postfix to do no MX record lookups.

example1.com smtp:[smarthost.com]:2525
example2.com smtp:[smarthost.com]:2525

that works.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 15, 2013

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
If anyone's interested, the Mint 16 RC is now up (on the University of Kent mirror at least)

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but iPXE is awesome. It's much more capable and customizable than normal PXE. We have it fetching customized boot menus which are generated by a bit of python. If you have lots (or even just several) machines network booting, check it out.

Our previous attempt at a solution was an ancient version of tftp-hpa that had been hacked up. I spent about 2 days debugging it and finally just punted and switched to iPXE. A better solution all around.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but iPXE is awesome. It's much more capable and customizable than normal PXE. We have it fetching customized boot menus which are generated by a bit of python. If you have lots (or even just several) machines network booting, check it out.

This is good news, as when I get some breathing room at work I was planning on moving all of our net installs to iPXE (which means I can finally get off this ancient version of pxelinux so I can pxe boot ESXi installs). Any recommendations on documentation aside from the ones on ipxe's site?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Did you burn iPXE into the NIC or do you PXE boot iPXE?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cidrick posted:

This is good news, as when I get some breathing room at work I was planning on moving all of our net installs to iPXE (which means I can finally get off this ancient version of pxelinux so I can pxe boot ESXi installs). Any recommendations on documentation aside from the ones on ipxe's site?

You should almost always chainload iPXE, including to iPXE/gPXE servers (this turns in to an annoying game of figuring out which release separates the feature level you have from the feature level you need and getting your DHCP server to say "oh, you're already g/iPXE? Do you support booting from iSCSI LUNs? No? Ok, load yet another version").

And since pxelinux rules the world, passing info about what PXE assigned it to autoinstallers can be annoying.

You also run into headaches trying to tie it into things which want to manage PXE on their own (Cobbler, most glaringly, but there are others), and it often works better to boot into pxelinux by default and have pxelinux itself chainload iPXE if it falls through.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I have a curious problem with Half-Life 2. Whenever I boot up my computer and start the game, it reverts to the desktop when I tried to load a savegame. I have to use the System Monitor to end the process, after which I can start the game again and it will play normally. This happens after every boot.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm getting confused by the Linux VNC variations out there. I'm looking particularly for one that will actually take over the active desktop locally logged in to the machine. I want to be able to move the cursor around on the other person's PC while they're sitting there so they can see what I'm doing. I'm trying to do this on Linux Mint 15 MATE, which has GNOME's Vino built in, and have tried tightvnc as well. I can't figure out how to get a correct connection to vino, and I've found that tightvnc comes up on a different session. How do I set this stuff up for what I want here?

As a side question, I'll probably be on a Windows 8 PC when I'm doing all this remote stuff. I have virtualized OS images that would let me pop in under Linux and run stuff there, but I'm curious what would be a good Windows VNC client to connect to whatever particular host VNC can do what I want.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm getting confused by the Linux VNC variations out there. I'm looking particularly for one that will actually take over the active desktop locally logged in to the machine. I want to be able to move the cursor around on the other person's PC while they're sitting there so they can see what I'm doing. I'm trying to do this on Linux Mint 15 MATE, which has GNOME's Vino built in, and have tried tightvnc as well. I can't figure out how to get a correct connection to vino, and I've found that tightvnc comes up on a different session. How do I set this stuff up for what I want here?

As a side question, I'll probably be on a Windows 8 PC when I'm doing all this remote stuff. I have virtualized OS images that would let me pop in under Linux and run stuff there, but I'm curious what would be a good Windows VNC client to connect to whatever particular host VNC can do what I want.

For RDP/VNC I use Remmina. Never had a problem with it.

As for a Windows VNC client, I've only ever used RealVNC for this but I'm sure there's better ones.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You have to configure it, basically. Which server do you want to use?

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a curious problem with Half-Life 2. Whenever I boot up my computer and start the game, it reverts to the desktop when I tried to load a savegame. I have to use the System Monitor to end the process, after which I can start the game again and it will play normally. This happens after every boot.
File a bug with Valve

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Experto Crede posted:

As for a Windows VNC client, I've only ever used RealVNC for this but I'm sure there's better ones.

TigerVNC for Windows is basically identical to the Linux version.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

evol262 posted:

You have to configure it, basically. Which server do you want to use?
At the risk of devolving into a circle: the one that does what I was hoping would happen when I connected. :p

The only one I've ever really used was RealVNC with Windows, where I'd VNC from one Windows machine to another. It would take over the desktop, and the other user would see the cursor moving around on its own like an ouija board. What I've seen so far looks like it starts a completely new session. I was looking it it through my virtualization environment and what desktop I got from my Windows client was different from what was logged in off of the Linux host. For more information, I'm trying to set this up for my mom on her laptop, since all she really does is web browser from her laptop, and drags in all kinds of crud in the process. So far she has been digging it, so I got lucky there, but I'm expecting to have to lead her through something one of these days. I was hoping I could show it all on her screen while I'm doing it.

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

Wheres the right place to get a xrandr script to run on boot up? I have to keep putting in "xrandr --output eDP1 --scale 0.4x0.4" after a reboot. I suppose a better question is are there any environments that I can set up where the ui is scaled for a 13" with a 3200x1800 resolution?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

At the risk of devolving into a circle: the one that does what I was hoping would happen when I connected. :p

The only one I've ever really used was RealVNC with Windows, where I'd VNC from one Windows machine to another. It would take over the desktop, and the other user would see the cursor moving around on its own like an ouija board. What I've seen so far looks like it starts a completely new session. I was looking it it through my virtualization environment and what desktop I got from my Windows client was different from what was logged in off of the Linux host. For more information, I'm trying to set this up for my mom on her laptop, since all she really does is web browser from her laptop, and drags in all kinds of crud in the process. So far she has been digging it, so I got lucky there, but I'm expecting to have to lead her through something one of these days. I was hoping I could show it all on her screen while I'm doing it.

Check out vino. I haven't used it in a long time but it should do what you want.

Tavistock posted:

Wheres the right place to get a xrandr script to run on boot up? I have to keep putting in "xrandr --output eDP1 --scale 0.4x0.4" after a reboot. I suppose a better question is are there any environments that I can set up where the ui is scaled for a 13" with a 3200x1800 resolution?

I'm not sure where the best place to put it is but what you can do is run that as a startup command in your gnome/xfce/kde session startup.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 17, 2013

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What about something off the shelf, particular teamviewer? It's free for non-commercial use and should take a lot of the headaches out of what you're trying to do, especially on the networking/NAT side.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tavistock posted:

.xinitrc is pretty agnostic.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
I'm starting to work with extremely large datasets (order of 20-50 GB of data), and so I need to often times archive the dataset and put it into storage. To do this, I use `tar -czf`. Recently, I had to retrieve some data from storage and found out that some larger of the tar.gz files were corrupted. If I uncompressed files that were less than ~10 GB, there was no issue. However, when I uncompressed files that were around 50 GB, I would often get the error message "unexpected end of file" or a corrupted file message.

I then tested this on a large file (20 GB in size) and found that `tar -czf` never generated a valid tar file. I'm using (GNU tar) 1.23.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions/experiences on different tools to use if they need to compress large amounts of data (gzip, bzip2, etc...)?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

octobernight posted:

I'm starting to work with extremely large datasets (order of 20-50 GB of data), and so I need to often times archive the dataset and put it into storage. To do this, I use `tar -czf`. Recently, I had to retrieve some data from storage and found out that some larger of the tar.gz files were corrupted. If I uncompressed files that were less than ~10 GB, there was no issue. However, when I uncompressed files that were around 50 GB, I would often get the error message "unexpected end of file" or a corrupted file message.

I then tested this on a large file (20 GB in size) and found that `tar -czf` never generated a valid tar file. I'm using (GNU tar) 1.23.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions/experiences on different tools to use if they need to compress large amounts of data (gzip, bzip2, etc...)?

tar is not compression. It's archive-only, which is why bzip2, gzip, and other compression methods are so often used hand-in-hand with it.

But this is a known deal with tar. posix or gnu should work fine, if you have it available. If not, you'll have to use `split` or some other method (compressing the datasets before tarring them may help, depending on how compressible they are).\

Edit:

saw that you're already using gnu tar, which should default to --format=gnu, but please confirm that.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

octobernight posted:

Do these large tar files have directory structures that exceed 255 charactors total? I know gnutar used to have a problem with that.

You might want to try something like 7zip, (7za) it could also compress better.

EDIT: ooh page 420 :420:

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 18, 2013

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

evol262 posted:

tar is not compression. It's archive-only, which is why bzip2, gzip, and other compression methods are so often used hand-in-hand with it.

But this is a known deal with tar. posix or gnu should work fine, if you have it available. If not, you'll have to use `split` or some other method (compressing the datasets before tarring them may help, depending on how compressible they are).\

Edit:

saw that you're already using gnu tar, which should default to --format=gnu, but please confirm that.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. I use tar -zcf, which runs it through gzip before compressing the files. I'm pretty sure it's GNU tar when I type tar --version, it returns "tar (GNU tar) 1.26".

nitrogen posted:

Do these large tar files have directory structures that exceed 255 charactors total? I know gnutar used to have a problem with that.

You might want to try something like 7zip, (7za) it could also compress better.

There might be files with long string names. The dataset is generated from other tools which might create files with strange names. Also, there's typically several nested directories, so that could cause it to exceed the 255 char limit. I'll try 7zip to see if it works better. Thanks!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

octobernight posted:

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. I use tar -zcf, which runs it through gzip before compressing the files. I'm pretty sure it's GNU tar when I type tar --version, it returns "tar (GNU tar) 1.26".

There might be files with long string names. The dataset is generated from other tools which might create files with strange names. Also, there's typically several nested directories, so that could cause it to exceed the 255 char limit. I'll try 7zip to see if it works better. Thanks!

No, you were clear. I just wanted to be crystal about the end of your post (any other tools... gzip? bzip2? etc?) that tar doesn't compress.

You shouldn't have problems with anything with --format=gnu, and --format=posix should produce a valid archive with absolutely anything. You may want to test with dummy data to ascertain whether the problem is a size limit, character limit, both, or otherwise, because gtar should not be producing garbage archives with --format=gnu

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to enable Windows 7 style window resize shortcuts in Linux Mint MATE? Things like drag window to far left size, resizes it to fill half the screen, or use a keyboard shortcut for it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Half-tiling is not going to be available in MATE, since MATE isn't under active development. Try Cinnamon or GNOME3.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

fletcher posted:

Is there a way to enable Windows 7 style window resize shortcuts in Linux Mint MATE? Things like drag window to far left size, resizes it to fill half the screen, or use a keyboard shortcut for it.
There's Snappy, which is like WinSplit Revolution for NetWM-compatible Linux window managers (like Metacity or Compiz).

I haven't actually used this.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Suspicious Dish posted:

Half-tiling is not going to be available in MATE, since MATE isn't under active development. Try Cinnamon or GNOME3.

Installed Cinnamon, looks like it can do it by default. Thanks!

I want to move the system bar to the top of the screen, but when I try to open the Panel Settings nothing happens. If I try to run cinnamon-settings at the terminal, I just get "No module named PIL". Tried using pip to install PIL, but that didn't fix it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Cinnamon should certainly be packaged correctly out of the box in Linux Mint. File a bug with the Mint guys about that.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Bit of an aesthetic issue here. Currently using Mint 16 and my monitors don't have their native resolutions recognised at boot. In my cinnamon session they're running at their native 1080p (after I set them when I first logged in), but the login screen is shown at 1024x768. Not a major issue but I would like it to be shown at the proper 1920x1080.

I'm assuming something along the lines of editing xorg.conf would be needed, but I know that's not considered the "right" way any more. What would be the right way to do this now?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You should be able to copy ~/.config/monitors.xml to /var/lib/gdm/.config/monitors.xml

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Is there a way to make Cinnamon remember where windows were when they were closed so that they next time you start a program it opens in the same place? I'm trying Mint 16 and overall I really like it, but having the Firefox and VLC windows move around every time I open them is really starting to grate on me.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know of a decent small sized distro that would work via USB thumbdrive for a 2.2ghz 512mb computer? The comp is from the mid 2000s and the IDE HD inside it is likely shot and I'm not investing any money into breathing life into this computer. I was thinking Lubuntu but any other options I'd love to hear.

I've seen stuff like Puppey Linux but I have no experience with it. The role for this computer is extremely light web browsing for bank information for my mother who hates computers and refuses to learn anything about them. Nothing complex can be tolerated.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

YouTuber posted:

Anyone know of a decent small sized distro that would work via USB thumbdrive for a 2.2ghz 512mb computer? The comp is from the mid 2000s and the IDE HD inside it is likely shot and I'm not investing any money into breathing life into this computer. I was thinking Lubuntu but any other options I'd love to hear.

I've seen stuff like Puppey Linux but I have no experience with it. The role for this computer is extremely light web browsing for bank information for my mother who hates computers and refuses to learn anything about them. Nothing complex can be tolerated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136292 $9 with a coupon code

:v:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

YouTuber posted:

http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Most Linux distros have live USB support these days though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

YouTuber posted:

IMHO, your intuition about Puppy was correct. It fits on a USB stick and runs incredibly fast and would be perfect for light tasks like web browsing. Here's a nice tutorial.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If I type

ping google.com

in the terminal, I got a constant stream of pings. How do I terminate the program without closing the terminal window?

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

How do I terminate the program without closing the terminal window?

Ctrl + C terminates running applications in a terminal window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Ctrl+C

you can also do ping -c 3 google.com

e;fb