Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What's the easiest way to force moves down on Smeargle in the actual games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

pandaK posted:

Pair him with something that knows the move at one of the restaurant double battles, then just sketch it off of them.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

pandaK posted:

As far as I know, double battle and have your second mon have the move you want to sketch. Use the move on the second mon and have Smeargle sketch it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

pandaK posted:

I wanna say it's along the lines of give Smeargle a Focus Sash, just in case, and enter a double battle and attack Smeargle with the attack you want it to learn.

e:fb :argh:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

I have a chip on my shoulder about Farfetch'd because he was my favorite as a kid and I couldn't name it what I wanted, and I STILL CANT NAME IT WHAT I WANT.

So now I am gonna make a really great loving leek duck and I'm going to name him Davos :colbert:

Why can't you name it what you want? Is there a curse filter popping up? There are wild Farfetch'd on route 22.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You can Fly to Lumiose. :ssh:

I know :ssh:

The coin thing is lazy and dumb by the way. It doesn't take very long at all to hatch eggs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aww man, I just realized my 31/31/31/x/31/0 relaxed Ferrothorn has Anticipation instead of Iron Barbs. Is Anticipation a good ability for a Ferrothorn?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Wow, Dual Screens Memento Gardevoir and Belly Drum/Aqua Jet Azumarill are pretty much best friends. Memento on some attacker, Belly Drum on the Switch and laugh as the opponent flips out as Azumarill one shots things and undoes any Belly Drum damage with Leftovers. I also have a Mega Pinsir (Mega Pinsirs are disgustingly strong) and a Memento Drifblim in reserve in case I need another chance to set up a sweep. This could easily be my most successful Pokemon showdown team yet.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Started playing online tonight in free doubles, just to see how my team does. Happy to see it's capable of taking down legendaries when it needs to, but every now and then an interesting team comes out of nowhere and demolishes me. I got my rear end kicked by mega Abomasnow and I couldn't be happier to see him being used.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Took my rain doubles team online last night, goodra, ludicolo, helioptile and toxicroack. Absolutely destroyed teams of mewtwos, zyguardes, dragonites etc. Just nice to know a team of mons I like won't be annilated by lengendarys. The team has a few issues but overall they're pretty fun to stomp kids with.

Shame about all the disconnecting though, some of those battle videos would have been nice to keep.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Emalde posted:

whatever, quitter.

You drat rude kids :mad:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Aww man, I just realized my 31/31/31/x/31/0 relaxed Ferrothorn has Anticipation instead of Iron Barbs. Is Anticipation a good ability for a Ferrothorn?

Anticipation is a bad ability, period.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

LAY-ZX posted:

Pair him with something that knows the move at one of the restaurant double battles, then just sketch it off of them.

You can also have the guy who has the move to be learned forget all his other moves, then go fight Dittos.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Akett posted:

Why can't you name it what you want? Is there a curse filter popping up? There are wild Farfetch'd on route 22.

Well...

I didn't know that. I only found the one they trade you and I thought it was an infuriating homage.

So now what do I do, just murder all ten of these delicious baby ducklings? Is that what you would have me do? For heaven's sakes, I just flew in from paris france on their newborn backs! Haven't they suffered enough?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ignite Memories posted:

So now what do I do, just murder all ten of these delicious baby ducklings? Is that what you would have me do? For heaven's sakes, I just flew in from paris france on their newborn backs! Haven't they suffered enough?
If you eat them after, it changes from murder to survival :black101:

But I dunno, I hear Farfetch'd is a bit like veal, you ruined their meat's tenderness when you made them fly.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

With a Dusknoir and a Zapdos, I'll have everything you can get in X and Y right now. Haven't pulled that off on one game since Gen III I don't think. Wonder if I'll do it before the Bank opens. Could just chuck them across after that I guess.

Need to get myself a new Pixilate Sylveon too. Traded my only one for Magmortar, and traded that for an Electivire. Always a bit nerve-wracking waiting to see if something you want has already been snapped up.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

While I have pokemon on the mind, I have a question. Is poke bank going to allow me to bring mons directly to Y from Soul Silver? I had some really nice mons on soul silver.

If so, would Lugia and Yveltal on the same team not be the classiest thing ever? Their names are Helios and Hecate. I also was super fond of my Feraligatr with swords dance, waterfall, earthquake and ice fang. He was a powerhouse.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Ignite Memories posted:

While I have pokemon on the mind, I have a question. Is poke bank going to allow me to bring mons directly to Y from Soul Silver? I had some really nice mons on soul silver.

If so, would Lugia and Yveltal on the same team not be the classiest thing ever? Their names are Helios and Hecate. I also was super fond of my Feraligatr with swords dance, waterfall, earthquake and ice fang. He was a powerhouse.
Nope, you need to transfer the Lugia to a 5th gen game.

Edit: If you can't transfer it, there's always the Lugia you can get in the dream radar.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The gently caress is a dream radar?

edit: and If I buy pokemon white/black, how much of it do I have to play before I can transfer the pokemon to Y?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 16, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stalgren posted:

You drat rude kids :mad:

Amie makes pretty much every Pokemon adorable.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Two hand-birds for a double battle team is something I've been looking forward to too. Them being Dark and Psychic should help them combine pretty well as well. Also Mega-Lugia please.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Ignite Memories posted:

The gently caress is a dream radar?
It's a game you get in the 3DS shop and you can get stuff that you can transfer to BW2. Not really worth it, but you can get the alternate forms of the genies, regenerator ho-oh if you have Heart Gold, multiscale lugia, and the three 4th gen dragon mascots who all have a really useless ability . It takes a long rear end time to get them though.

TheEggsBenedict fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 16, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there any way Mega Aggron can be viable? I'm trying to run an Adamant one with Roar/Heavy Slam/Stealth Rock and I guess either Earthquake or Iron Head? I'm not sure if I should invest into Special Defense or HP or Attack or what. I was thinking maybe Thunder Wave/Dragon Tail/Stealth Rock/Heavy Slam but I guess some of those are egg moves.

This dude is way harder to make work than he seems worth

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there any way Mega Aggron can be viable? I'm trying to run an Adamant one with Roar/Heavy Slam/Stealth Rock and I guess either Earthquake or Iron Head? I'm not sure if I should invest into Special Defense or HP or Attack or what. I was thinking maybe Thunder Wave/Dragon Tail/Stealth Rock/Heavy Slam but I guess some of those are egg moves.

Trick Room.

Even then I think Rhyperior is probably better.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Zoness posted:

Trick Room.

Even then I think Rhyperior is probably better.

I was trying to make an all-Steel team for a mono type tournament and seeing as how I had a well bred Aron on hand, I thought I'd give him a shot, but god drat is he butt. Anyone wanna give me a good Skarmory?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's a loving ridiculous physical wall that effectively has no weaknesses, but it can't do much else, and that really doesn't seem like it'd be worth your one mega slot to me. If you do want to use it, I think it'd be best to pump his attack and defense and run Roar/Iron Head(you can replace it with Heavy Slam if you REALLY want to but anything over 1/4 of his weight will take the same or better damage from Iron Head)/Earthquake/Stealth Rock.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

LAY-ZX posted:

It's a loving ridiculous physical wall that effectively has no weaknesses, but it can't do much else, and that really doesn't seem like it'd be worth your one mega slot to me. If you do want to use it, I think it'd be best to pump his attack and defense and run Roar/Iron Head(you can replace it with Heavy Slam if you REALLY want to but anything over 1/4 of his weight will take the same or better damage from Iron Head)/Earthquake/Stealth Rock.

Mold Breaker :(

Also, shouldn't he invest in Special Defense?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yeah, Mega Aggron's defense is so high that you only take like 10% less damage from maxing its defense while you take special hits like twice as well from maxing it's special defense, kinda like how you always run max physical defense EVs on Blissey. Mega Aggron's actually a bad motherfucker, he just really, really badly needed a recovery move. It's still a fantastic phazer because of how hard it is to kill it with anything even after swords dance / shell smash / whatever.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 16, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Mold Breaker :(

Yeah, I meant to say special defense.

And yeah, lack of recovery is a huge shame. If it just learned Slack Off or something it would be an unkillable monster.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I am Reverend posted:

Yeah, Mega Aggron's defense is so high that you only take like 10% less damage from maxing its defense while you take special hits like twice as well from maxing it's special defense, kinda like how you always run max physical defense EVs on Blissey. Mega Aggron's actually a bad motherfucker, he just really, really badly needed a recovery move. It's still a fantastic phazer because of how hard it is to kill it with anything even after swords dance / shell smash / whatever.

It's a bit hard to justify using my Mega slot on him when it could be Mega Mawile instead. I'm thisclose to just saying "gently caress it" and running Tyranitar instead. Luckily my TTar is Adamant so he won't really do as a lead/Stealth Rock setter. If only it were easier to formulate the ideal setup for this dumb bigass Steel dragon looking thing.

Why does his Mega only give like +10 to Special Defense tho? That's dumb.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's a bit hard to justify using my Mega slot on him when it could be Mega Mawile instead. I'm thisclose to just saying "gently caress it" and running Tyranitar instead. Luckily my TTar is Adamant so he won't really do as a lead/Stealth Rock setter. If only it were easier to formulate the ideal setup for this dumb bigass Steel dragon looking thing.

Why does his Mega only give like +10 to Special Defense tho? That's dumb.

But I thought it was mono Steel? Tyranitar isn't Steel.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

LeafyOrb posted:

I know :ssh:

The coin thing is lazy and dumb by the way. It doesn't take very long at all to hatch eggs.

It takes me longer to GET eggs than to hatch them.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

LAY-ZX posted:

Yeah but if Aggron really sucks that much I figure I can make a case for one other type. Especially cause I lack any good support-role Steel types

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yeah but if Aggron really sucks that much I figure I can make a case for one other type. Especially cause I lack any good support-role Steel types

Oh, well if you want support Skarmory is the poo poo.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

LAY-ZX posted:

Oh, well if you want support Skarmory is the poo poo.

That's what I'm saying. I have Ferrothorn but it's not quite the same.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

LAY-ZX posted:

There is precedent in this series for gym leaders/elite 4 members using mons not of their type. Volkner, Flint, every member of the Kanto elite 4...

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Crosscontaminant posted:

Serebii updated his statement on the pentagon.

This is looking like my interpretation (that Poké-Transported 'mons don't get the pentagon) may be right. Unfortunately it also looks like I may be wrong that non-pentagon'd mons aren't allowed online. Hooray decrepit legendary-infested metagame.

If you have a non-Kalosdex pokemon from the friend safari, does it still have the pentagon?

ChaosArgate posted:

I wanna say it's along the lines of give Smeargle a Focus Sash, just in case, and enter a double battle and attack Smeargle with the attack you want it to learn.

e:fb :argh:

This would be a really silly thing to do, since you don't have to target smeargle for him to sketch the move. Smeargle just targets his partner with sketch after they use the desired move. Besides, you'd be wasting a focus sash if you used it in the restaurant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFTtB24DWQ&t=88s

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I got a caterpie for a loving 4 IV Heracross I bred on Wonder trade and in a fit of rage I immediately retraded and received a 2 IV female level 1 Rash Larvesta. I'm so sorry mr. bug trainer...
Just because you're playing a game for children doesn't mean you have to act like a baby.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If you could somehow use Baton Pass to give Mega Aggron Power Trick, you'd have a slow tank with 230 Attack Stat which beats even Mega Mewtwo X's 190 by a long shot. I think the only way to do it is through Smeargle which is a bit of a pain to raise and hard to pull off in battle. In any case, with a moveset like Earthquake, Iron Head, Stone Edge and Superpower you should be able to one-shot just about everything until you finally take enough special attacks to go down. If you could manage to get Trick Room going you'd be pretty much unstoppable.

So it's basically the old Power Trick Shuckle gimmick but with the added bonus of being a decent physical tank with good offense should you not manage to pull off the Power Trick and Baton Pass.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 16, 2013

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Amie makes pretty much every Pokemon adorable.

I say all pokemon are adorable and have gentle souls! Amie certainly helps though :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stalgren posted:

all pokemon [...] have [...] souls!

Not the ones made in editors :smith:

• Locked thread