Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, are there any decent metro calendars that do ical or whatever support is necessary to pull/push stuff from google other than in some bizarre round-robin fuckup metro -> live -> google ->live ->metro arrangement?

Honestly, if this can't be made to work or google/MS don't stop their slapfight, there's no point in even bothering, I might as well cough up for StartIsBack.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

So, are there any decent metro calendars that do ical or whatever support is necessary to pull/push stuff from google other than in some bizarre round-robin fuckup metro -> live -> google ->live ->metro arrangement?

Honestly, if this can't be made to work or google/MS don't stop their slapfight, there's no point in even bothering, I might as well cough up for StartIsBack.

Google is end-of-lifeing caldav, so the only way to synchronize with Google Calendar is by using Googles own proprietary API. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Microsoft to do that implementation work, and don't know off-hand of anyone else who have either. Personally I just use an ical link to pull Google Calendar events into my Live Calendar, while just letting all my new events go on the Live calendar instead. Where gmail is irreplaceable for me I don't really have any strong feelings either way on Google/Live calendar.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Google is end-of-lifeing caldav, so the only way to synchronize with Google Calendar is by using Googles own proprietary API. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Microsoft to do that implementation work, and don't know off-hand of anyone else who have either. Personally I just use an ical link to pull Google Calendar events into my Live Calendar, while just letting all my new events go on the Live calendar instead. Where gmail is irreplaceable for me I don't really have any strong feelings either way on Google/Live calendar.

Yeah, I considered the same, the annoying wrinkle in the works being that I've got an android phone. The lag from entered events propagating was wretched, too.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Except the online Hotmail calendar is ugly as hell, there's been talk about them 'outlooking' it for ages but nothing seems to have happened.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sri.Theo posted:

Except the online Hotmail calendar is ugly as hell, there's been talk about them 'outlooking' it for ages but nothing seems to have happened.

Funny you should mention that: http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft...utlook-com.aspx

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yay!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Haha I claim full responsibility! Although I have discovered a couple of features that are missing when compared to google, specifically IMAP and multiple calendars, which they may never support in order to protect their EAS/exchange and Outlook income :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sri.Theo posted:

Haha I claim full responsibility! Although I have discovered a couple of features that are missing when compared to google, specifically IMAP and multiple calendars, which they may never support in order to protect their EAS/exchange and Outlook income :(

Multiple calendars do exist, unless you're talking about something else that I'm misunderstanding.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

This is a thread! :v:

Foursquare is getting an app as well as Facebook and Flipboard!. All of them are 100% official and not third-party commissioned by Microsoft like the old WP apps. They are supposedly coming "soon"

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Anyone know the deal with Google calendar support for the 8 calendar app? I can set up an Outlook calendar and use it as the go-between? This is kind of a big deal for me, and if it doesn't work I will hate whoever was responsible.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

agarjogger posted:

Anyone know the deal with Google calendar support for the 8 calendar app? I can set up an Outlook calendar and use it as the go-between? This is kind of a big deal for me, and if it doesn't work I will hate whoever was responsible.

Google Calendar supports the latest CalDAV protocol. The Calendar app supports the latest ActiveSync protocol. Google Calendar also supports an old version of the ActiveSync protocol under the name Google Sync, but only for paid users. Google Sync has been End-of-Life'd for others.

I think this will get resolved sooner rather than later, either by Google adding support for latest ActiveSync for all users or Microsoft starting to support CalDAV. It'll be interesting to see which one happens first. The important date to watch is July 31st as that's when Google Sync stops accepting new Windows Phone devices.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Max Facetime posted:

Google Calendar supports the latest CalDAV protocol. The Calendar app supports the latest ActiveSync protocol. Google Calendar also supports an old version of the ActiveSync protocol under the name Google Sync, but only for paid users. Google Sync has been End-of-Life'd for others.

I think this will get resolved sooner rather than later, either by Google adding support for latest ActiveSync for all users or Microsoft starting to support CalDAV. It'll be interesting to see which one happens first. The important date to watch is July 31st as that's when Google Sync stops accepting new Windows Phone devices.

I don't see Google adding activesync support back in.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

I could see Microsoft surprising by adding CalDAV, like they did with WebGL in IE11.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maneki Neko posted:

Activesync support requires Google to pay a licensing fee, right? CalDAV is open and free, I think. I can sort of see why Google would do this. This is one of those situations in which elephants fight, so the grass suffers. Although its interesting to see Microsoft in a situation where they are at the mercy of another company and are no longer the 500 pound gorilla that can force other companies to bend to their environment.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 29, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

edit: nevermind I seem to have misunderstood the question

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 1, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Thanks for the answers. Also apologies for not noticing the exact same discussion not more than six posts up from mine. :tipshat:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Just got a windows 8 laptop, and I'm liking it so far. However, I've run into a problem with Metrotwit crashing before it can load. The FAQ pages says to delete the profile, but I can't find the profile on my computer because they only include part of the address. Has anybody else run into this problem, and does anybody know how to fix it?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lance Streetman posted:

Just got a windows 8 laptop, and I'm liking it so far. However, I've run into a problem with Metrotwit crashing before it can load. The FAQ pages says to delete the profile, but I can't find the profile on my computer because they only include part of the address. Has anybody else run into this problem, and does anybody know how to fix it?

You should just be able to delete %appdata%\MetroTwit to get it going again.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Never mind, an update fixed it.

tk posted:

You should just be able to delete %appdata%\MetroTwit to get it going again.

I tried that, but I couldn't find where it was and search was turning up no results.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Lance Streetman posted:

Never mind, an update fixed it.

I tried that, but I couldn't find where it was and search was turning up no results.

If you drop that into explorer, it should open to the correct place. If you try to search for that, you won't find it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there a Metro app that can be used as a front-end to launch desktop programs using command-line prompts?

One thing I want to use my XPS 12 for is as a portable emulation machine. I have emulators for the various Nintendo consoles and a few others. But I don't want to have to navigate the desktop with a mouse to browse and launch the games. There are frontends out there that can do this, typically designed for home-made MAME machines. Most of these are poorly designed. Honestly, the Metro tile design would work perfectly. It's clean and it's basic. I imagine there could be a Metro app that opens to a new Metro interface, with the ability for the user to create their own tiles that launch programs.

I think I found a possible solution in OblyTile. Would this work? Problem is, I'd need it to point to either a game ROM, which is a document, or have multiple entries for one program (the emulator) with different arguments for each that include the ROM file.

Edit: Yup, this will work. It'll take a lot of effort, I'm gonna have to make over a hundred tiles. But I think it'll be worth it. The only real problem is that my Metro UI will become incredibly crowded. I wish you could make folders for this UI.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 28, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Revol posted:

Edit: Yup, this will work. It'll take a lot of effort, I'm gonna have to make over a hundred tiles. But I think it'll be worth it. The only real problem is that my Metro UI will become incredibly crowded. I wish you could make folders for this UI.

Pinch to zoom out and then tap a tile group not a good solution for you? I find it rather nice once I got used to it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Pinch to zoom out and then tap a tile group not a good solution for you? I find it rather nice once I got used to it.

That's true. In which case, I'll be sure to color code each console. In the zoom-out, the icons are bordered with this color.

I did a test run of each system. I've confirmed that each emulator will launch properly, directly to full screen, and that when the emulator is closed, it jumps back to the Start screen. Here's an example of a game for each system:

Now that I have a tile made for each category... is there a way to make new tiles without OblyTile? Is there a text file or a registry that I can edit? OblyTile was a lot of help this far, but having to do that process 100s of times for each tile will get a little tedious. I think being able to edit it all in text would be a lot easier. Then I can just copy the last tile, make a few edits, and I'm done. With OblyTile, I have to create a blank tile, starting from scratch.

Edit: I just noticed that all of the tiles created by OblyTile go under the Metro section of the App list. This means this category is going to loving explode by the time I make all these tiles, and using the Apps screen to search through my Metro apps will be a loving pain, as I'll have all these different emulator games in the way. Right now, I have each tile named beginning with its console, like 'NES SMB3' or 'PSX Ape'. Looks like I should put a 'z' at the beginning of all that to try to organize this screen a bit.

Edit 2: Aw, I guess using the program isn't all that bad. I've got all the NES games done.

But this shows another problem. The sorting of the games are really messed up thanks to the way Windows lays out the tiles:

Everything is in a set of two columns. This is mostly due to the double-sized tiles, I imagine. Is there any way to change the layout? Otherwise, I guess I'll need to separate all of these into two column sets.

Revol fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 28, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

AlphaJax is out now (it's a scrabble/words with friends game), with cross platform play between Windows 8/Windows Phone users, so there's a pretty decent user base:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/e27ac155-20f1-4b3e-9293-26e58da970ad

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but people in the general Seattle area should check out the windows 8 version of One Bus Away. I just started using it and it definitely seems more accessible than any of the mobile versions I've used.

Ed: One drawback is that it doesn't update the expected bus times in real time like the mobile versions do.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 3, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AlphaJax is published by Microsoft now? Does it finally have international dictionaries?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

AlphaJax is published by Microsoft now? Does it finally have international dictionaries?

Nee

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2013

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I got my dad a windows tablet, is there a setting that allows music to keep streaming(xbox music) even while its idle?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess it's a good thing. Wordament seems to be property of Microsoft now, too, and they've added international dictionaries. If the German one's a sign of the quality, then gently caress it. There's tons of words in there, that are either made up, spelled wrong, or simple fragments that aren't supposed exist on their own.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After using this Asus T100 for a while, I kinda wanna make a forum reader app.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

404notfound posted:

After using this Asus T100 for a while, I kinda wanna make a forum reader app.

drasticactions is already working on one :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573078

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What the hell, I've never seen that subforum before :stare: Well, good to know somebody's already gotten something started. I guess I'll check out the project and see if I still remember anything about C# and XAML :v:

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess it's a good thing. Wordament seems to be property of Microsoft now, too, and they've added international dictionaries. If the German one's a sign of the quality, then gently caress it. There's tons of words in there, that are either made up, spelled wrong, or simple fragments that aren't supposed exist on their own.
The English one is pretty much like that anyway. I think it might be intentional so there're lots of words (or alleged words) to find/remember.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is Next-gen Reader still the definitive RSS client for Metro apps?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Autumncomet posted:

It's good enough for me that I haven't bothered to look at the alternatives recently.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Autumncomet posted:

I haven't found one I like better on the Win Phone OR on Windows 8.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I know this is traditionally where Windows devices have fallen short but are there any good audiobook players for Win8.1 metro? That's the last thing keeping me from switching from my Nexus 7 to my Dell V8P, a good audiobook app that allows me to do a sleep timer, always saves my place, etc. I know audible is there, but I want to use my own audiobook library I've built up over the years.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

I know this is traditionally where Windows devices have fallen short but are there any good audiobook players for Win8.1 metro? That's the last thing keeping me from switching from my Nexus 7 to my Dell V8P, a good audiobook app that allows me to do a sleep timer, always saves my place, etc. I know audible is there, but I want to use my own audiobook library I've built up over the years.

On a side note, holy poo poo is the store bad for Audiobook related searches. I know they want their app number counts up, but sifting 5000 audiobooks released as separate apps is a goddamn nightmare.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Maneki Neko posted:

On a side note, holy poo poo is the store bad for Audiobook related searches. I know they want their app number counts up, but sifting 5000 audiobooks released as separate apps is a goddamn nightmare.

Yeah that's pretty much what made me give up searching the store. One company alone (Collected Classics LLC) has released 596 individual classics for $1.49 each. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nextgen Reader is currently on sale for $1.49 through the end of the year:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/nextgen-reader/30648d7a-f0b5-4719-8ca9-7ed6ce3b4b9b

• Locked thread