Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I decided a while ago to drop down into the 26-50 range for the Thor event because I really want to finish out my Daken. I was in 3rd yesterday morning and haven't touched the tournament, I finally hit 26 a couple hours ago and then some chucklehead lost against my team and bumped me back up to 24. Gonna have to forfeit a match or something.

Also, what is the ideal build for Thor? I'm currently at 1/3/3 and have a fourth green cover sitting around but I'm not sure if I should use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

If I could rank 101-200 in the Heroic event and get all those Thor covers I would be ever so happy! I'm currently #65 so I hope I drop down a bit in the next few days. :shobon:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I thought it was better without the retaliation. That way every fight didn't devolve into a pissing match where you lose points at the worst time.

I rarely get attacked by anyone I'd want to fight back against, maybe one in ten aren't an auto-skip. It's usually people with at least two 100+ characters and a maxed level Classic Storm or Thor.

Edit: Someone made the case for the 4th Green cover earlier in the thread. Personally I'm going 5/5/3 as I feel like real world cases where you get an odd extra point of yellow from a four match, or the five point environmental tile bonus, throw off the numbers enough. Plus I tend to run my Thor with Classic Storm so I rarely use Thor's green ability, if I have the points I'd rather shatter the board and swing the red/yellow combo again.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 16, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jibo posted:

Also, what is the ideal build for Thor? I'm currently at 1/3/3 and have a fourth green cover sitting around but I'm not sure if I should use it.

I'm a believer in 5/5/3 myself. That's 6 Red and 11 Yellow; the 6 is vital, and you're going to use Thunder Strike a thousand times more often than Call the Storm so even a slightly lower cost helps.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Jibo posted:

I decided a while ago to drop down into the 26-50 range for the Thor event because I really want to finish out my Daken. I was in 3rd yesterday morning and haven't touched the tournament, I finally hit 26 a couple hours ago and then some chucklehead lost against my team and bumped me back up to 24. Gonna have to forfeit a match or something.

The ideal build for Thor is 5/4+/whatever. At 5 Red you only need 2 red matches (-1 red match for each 3 AP boost you use) to cast his red ability, and the 4th point of yellow brings him to below 12 AP for his yellow ability, which makes it 4 matches. After that it's a matter of whether you care about bringing green from 5 matches to 4.7 green matches.

Most Thors don't even use green, letting Wolverine, Storm, or Ragnarok take that color.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

seravid posted:

Shame about Thor's event's rewards, nothing really worth fighting for. We're on the same bracket, by the way, I'm #3 to your puny #8 :smugdog:

hey same bracket bros, kinda disillusioned with the rewards for Thornament now I've finished my Daken so I'm just chilling and taking what comes - just dropped all my health packs on Juggevent anyhow, maybe I should try to find a synth and seravid to forfeit to in the last minute to help you guys out if I can.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I finished off Daken, bringing him to 5/5 last night. Today I've gotten three more Daken covers. drat you lady luck!

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

delfin posted:

I'm a believer in 5/5/3 myself. That's 6 Red and 11 Yellow; the 6 is vital, and you're going to use Thunder Strike a thousand times more often than Call the Storm so even a slightly lower cost helps.

Agree completely. I'm a recent convert to Thor, didn't have the covers until very recently, but this week's been good to me. That 6-cost Mjolnir is amazing, and Wolverine usually eats all of my green anyway. It's going to be weird when the Thor tournament finishes - before it started my Thor was lvl 12 and hardly used, now he's 71 and 5/5/3. I know his powers are still really good, it's just going to be hard to get used to them not being insane turn 1-win machines.

Now if only I could similarly finish El Wolverino. I still lack 2 green covers, so am paying 5 for a Feral Slash like a sucker. I know, it's embarassing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

WetSpink posted:

hey same bracket bros, kinda disillusioned with the rewards for Thornament now I've finished my Daken so I'm just chilling and taking what comes - just dropped all my health packs on Juggevent anyhow, maybe I should try to find a synth and seravid to forfeit to in the last minute to help you guys out if I can.

That would be so cheesy. I like it. Don't think it would help much, though, I'm back to the 200 points lost per half-hour routine.

Re: Daken, I'm not sure what to do with him. He's 5/5, level ~15 and I can't see why I should spend more of my precious ISO on the guy. The game - as it stands - is all about KO'ing the other team as quickly as possible and Daken works on the opposite spectrum. I suppose he could work as a deterrent but that never stops me when he's on the other side so :shrug:

Also, anything other than 5/5/3 for Thor is wrong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keep in mind that Daken's strike tiles increase their damage with his level. Right now each green match adds 70 damage to each attack. The added damage is stacked on both regular attacks and attack tiles, so that really adds up very quickly towards monstrous 400 damage regular 3 tile matches for me.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Daken is also good for eating attacks and then hiding in the back to heal while you match other colors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unless someone ate all the yellow tiles, in which case 'DAKEN IS DOWNED.'

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Strike tiles, healing... All that just slows the game down which means you'll either take more damage overall or, instead of losing 30 points while you're in-game, you'll lose 60.

Way I see it, you just can't beat C-Storm + Thor's efficiency and with Grey Widow finally getting more covers (Classic Magneto's still stuck at 2/0/1 :qq:), I don't think I have room for a war of attrition guy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This may not be the place where I want to be.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

delfin posted:

This may not be the place where I want to be.

Looks like someone's getting an X-Force Wolverine...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
:sigh: Kind of pissed. Got up to 1185 when I ran out of health packs so I took a break. They turned on counterattacks and now I've lost over 400 points in the last hour. Won about 300 but it's pretty much impossible for me to get that 500 Hero Points reward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same here. I dont want Xforcerine!

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Thanks to the recent lightning rounds and this Thor tournament I will soon have a 5/5 Loki that I will never use.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm lucky my bracket is so weak, #10 only has 376 points so I'm safe for the Loki reward I want. Taking 30 point hits left and right here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress I'm in #1, noooooooo!

edit: jesus knocked down to 22!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 16, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I actually went for #1 just for fun and I do believe I did it.

Maybe?

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

seravid posted:

Re: Daken, I'm not sure what to do with him. He's 5/5, level ~15 and I can't see why I should spend more of my precious ISO on the guy. The game - as it stands - is all about KO'ing the other team as quickly as possible and Daken works on the opposite spectrum. I suppose he could work as a deterrent but that never stops me when he's on the other side so :shrug:

I'm in a similar situation, 5/5 Daken, haven't had the chance to level him yet. However, I run Wolverine almost all the time, and he fills a pretty similar role - I guess the main difference being that he can also go to the face with his red ability if someone like Thor isn't using your red.

You can't always win the game on the first few turns, and those times you don't it's really nice to have a regenerator on your team. When you're trying to stretch your heal packs as far as possible, rather than sprinting at the end of a tournament, Wolverine's great. Disclaimer: Daken may or not be as good, I really haven't played with him.

Well, Thor Tournament is over. I'll miss you, ridiculous tournament.
Still not sure if I made top 10 or not, the thing finished while I was in a match (I blame Wolverine).

Edit: gently caress, top 25, got hit at the last minute, was hovering around 8 for the last half an hour. Still, one Loki isn't too bad.

Kravdraa fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 16, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oh, man... 60 point spread in the top ten and the #2 started throwing matches at 1 minute. Threw three matches, and I think I finished in 8, but I guess we'll see!

E: Daken is awesome, and I only regret leveling classic storm past 69. Now she steals all the green matches. Finally getting more wolverine covers should fix that at least.

E2: Top ten!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 16, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I think the game counts your last match, even if the event finishes while you're in-game. Confirm/deny?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I thought it was going till the weekend was over so I stopped playing since yesterday. When I noticed there was only 20 mins left I jumped back in and only got attacked once. So I jumped up past 50 with a little over 900 points.

What's funny is that at around 62 or whatever I was at overnight, I only got attacked a few times and actually ended up gaining points cause one guy lost.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ooops, top 25 finisher.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

seravid posted:

I think the game counts your last match, even if the event finishes while you're in-game. Confirm/deny?

I think so. I believe that's why it takes a few minutes for the rewards to get handed out.

The person who hopped ahead of me into the #1 spot tanked a bunch of points too so I ended up back in first with eight minutes to go. Might end up with X-Force Wolverine instead of Loki after all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At least you can sell Xforcerine for 50 coins.

The Thor tourney has distorted my expectations. I keep being surprised when people dont go down with one lightning strike.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah, rewards just went through, X-Force Wolverine with around 900 points last time I looked. Crazy bracket. Only three people over 900 points with an hour to go in the event.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
I got 50th after my last match so I guess I'm happy about that.

Just hope I stay there for the Daken covers.

E: Yay I actually did stay there, starting to get good at this game and by good I mean my characters aren't at poo poo levels now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Interesting. X-Force Wolverine comes at level 30 and his yellow ability creates a five turn countdown tile that heals for 420hp and another 42 for every yellow AP. Could actually be useful to heal guys up on safe PVE missions between PVP battles.

Nice unexpected perk.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, after managing the 1500 earlier I decided to say gently caress it and go for broke. I either came first or second. Me Thor good. :woop: Definitely wanted to "win" one of the big tournaments at least once, may as well do it with Thor, who owns.

And right at the end of the tournament some person I got pissed off by earlier popped up as a target so I gave them a smackdown with a minute to go. Got a wonderful malicious glee out of that. Can't even remember what they did now. Something like hitting me for 30 points when I'd only get five for beating them or something. Really petty basically.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yessssssss

Two covers down, eleven to go :shepface:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Healing for everyone or just him?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Healing for everyone or just him?

Just tried this out - its only for wolverine.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I won my bracket for the first time as well. Now I have no cover space left. Later, Bagman!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that the comic his cover is from is called Sex and Violence. That made me laugh.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Does the gatcha machines only poop out certain colors for the heros it has?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I only got in the top 25 reward :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Found the cover where the 'original' Black Widow costume is from.

Hmmmmmm. Really they couldnt find one where the featured character is front and center? I dont even remember this costume.

edit:

ahahahah