Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KodiakRS posted:

CA triumph hive mind, what say you about a 2006 675 with 31K on the clock for $6,000?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcd/4171777508.html

It looks like they're available for less in other parts of the country but by the time you factor in the cost of a fly and drive it's a moot point anyway. I also know the dealer and have at least some faith that they won't totally screw me over. My big concern is the 31K miles. I know there has been a rash of goon owned 675 engines failing, I don't know if it's a goon specific curse of if these engines just like to die with relatively low miles on them.

Or is $6,000 just a royal rear end raping?

The royalist rear end raping. The early 675 engines are sort of hit or miss, and they don't like sitting on the rev limiter. Pair a fast reving engine with squids and it's easy to get abused ones. Plus they're hard to accurately read the oil level on so...I've run my low a few times, it's easy to do, especially given that some of them like to burn a bit. Some of them make it for forever though too. Just QC was a bit hit or miss.

Saga posted:

I've been taking a break from street bikes for a bit due to Reasons.

Am thinking of picking up a damaged repairable middleweight to turn into a cheap track bike for next year. Has to be (i) cheap and (ii) a decent trackbike.

I've had CBR600F2.5('94) and CBR400RR trackbikes, but don't want something so old or obscure that there's nothing on e-bay and everything you look at is broken as gently caress (this is basically the problem with the lovely old "Steelie", at least here in the UK, even though it makes an awesome track bike).

The extent of what I'm likely to do is replace levers, strip off mirrors/pillion pegs/extraneous plastic, tape up road rash (or at worst, buy a Chinese e-bay fairing kit), throw on a cheap used slip-on to save a couple kilos and pick up some part-worn generic roadsports rubber. Plus obviously flush and replace fluids and check there are pads left. So I'm thinking what's cheap and likely to cope adequately with a relaxed advanced group pace.

My current thinking is an 03/04 ZX-6R B1H (skinny one with the RHS exhaust) or an 05/06 if it's real cheap(skinny one with the U/S exhaust) ZX-6R. Can anyone think of a reason not to go with one of these for a simple trackbike conversion? Or a good reason to go with something else?

Both of those are great bikes. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any mid 2000s bikes - they were all pretty decent. Cheap RC51 could be fun (murder on tires), RSV Mille could be fun (also murder on tires), GSX-R 750, CBR600, ZX636 series. I'd probably avoid the early R6es due to transmission issues on a trackbike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Both of those are great bikes. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any mid 2000s bikes - they were all pretty decent. Cheap RC51 could be fun (murder on tires), RSV Mille could be fun (also murder on tires), GSX-R 750, CBR600, ZX636 series. I'd probably avoid the early R6es due to transmission issues on a trackbike.

Actually now thinking GSX-R600 or 750 from 00/01 to 03. The 600 is cheaper than the B1 and an '01 GSX-R750, which would of course be fairly galactic, is about the same price as the Kawasaki. The 600RR commands a premium, and though I rode one at VIR and can appreciate its ability, it's also a little bland. RCs are £££.

A Mille would be basically the same as my old Tuono. They work very well but as you say they really want sticky rear boots or they very quickly liquidate the rear tyre and you're riding on Jello. Also, the limiting factor on the Mk1 chassis is always the front end. You get to a point where the front suddenly goes very light and wants to wash long before you're done at the back. It doesn't spoil the bike, but the same rubber on the GSX-R could handle that bit more corner entry and midcorner speed. Also, as I discovered last year, if you constantly wheelie everywhere on track you get told politely to stop or go home. This kind of ruins the rotax motor for track days, since the entire point of its power delivery is to wheelie everywhere. Violently.

If I can't find a cheap enough damaged repairable, my alternative plan is to pick up another TRX850. If I can get one for under £1,000, I know exactly what to do with it and for £2,000 all in I could have something with something like the same pace as a well set up CBR steelie with a stock motor. Now, that hypothetical steelie would probably cost less than £2,000 and come with a bunch of spares, but it appears the last "good" steelie ate kitty litter about 10 years ago.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah the 01-03 GSX-R was a giant step forward. The 750 would definitely be the better choice just cause I'm pretty sure that's the year where the 600 was the bastard child and was actually heavier than the 750. The additional cubes will keep you running with the newer bikes and you don't really suffer any as a result of it.

Also just roll wheelies out of pit lane erryday

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Yeah the 01-03 GSX-R was a giant step forward. The 750 would definitely be the better choice just cause I'm pretty sure that's the year where the 600 was the bastard child and was actually heavier than the 750. The additional cubes will keep you running with the newer bikes and you don't really suffer any as a result of it.

It's just a cost issue. The 750 has always been better, but is it worth the money when I'm not racing? It's like a 20% premium.

Z3n posted:

Also just roll wheelies out of pit lane erryday

Well yes that was just one of the wheelie opportunities I got told off for!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm trying to find a cheap motorcycle for riding to work to keep from putting commuting wear on my CBR500R, and came across this and this. I don't care about cosmetic damage and don't mind doing a little work, but don't want a death trap/something that doesn't run.

Would buying a bike with a salvaged title be a bad idea? I only live 5 miles from work, and I take surface streets. Any input on this would be awesome. Getting a bike for that cheap just for commuting would rock.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 12, 2013

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm trying to find a cheap motorcycle for riding to work to keep from putting commuting wear on my CBR500R, and came across this and this. I don't care about cosmetic damage and don't mind doing a little work, but don't want a death trap/something that doesn't run.

Would buying a bike with a salvaged title be a bad idea? I only live 5 miles from work, and I take surface streets. Any input on this would be awesome. Getting a bike for that cheap just for commuting would rock.

Commuting is what the 500s are for. Why wouldn't you ride it?

Alternative answer: unless this 5 miles is "5 miles of superhighway", how about just a bicycle? It should take you about 20 minutes and running costs are practically zilch. Also no insurance required. Plus free exercise, albeit 20 minutes each way isn't going to do anything particularly useful.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I know it is and it's great for it, I just felt I should put that wear on another bike to save my 500 for weekend rides, since I won't be upgrading to something bigger for awhile. I was also kinda hoping that 600 would in good condition so I can have something with more power. I'm bored at work and look at bikes all day and it makes me want another bike, to be honest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Schroeder91 posted:

I know it is and it's great for it, I just felt I should put that wear on another bike to save my 500 for weekend rides, since I won't be upgrading to something bigger for awhile. I was also kinda hoping that 600 would in good condition so I can have something with more power. I'm bored at work and look at bikes all day and it makes me want another bike, to be honest.

How many miles do you put on a day? The honda will probably go 100k+ with no problems. I'd just ride the bike you have, because there's a point where you'll probably buy a 600 and then never ride the 500 again :D

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

10-20 a day, and even more during the weekend (3 day weekends so I ride a lot). I've owned it 4 months and already have 5500 miles on it. I joined a biking meetup and had a lot of fun riding together out of the city (did 350 miles around Arizona on Saturday) and I see myself doing that more. If you think it will go to 100k+, that should suffice. I was wanting to get a 600 for riding and keep my 500 for in the city. I want all the bieks

I was just kind of worried of wearing the bike down before I'm even done paying it off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You should be using that 500 to commute and picking up a weekend toy, not the other way around.

Sure you're dropping the value, but welcome to buying new.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

That's what I originally wanted to do, but if I'm able to save up a couple thousand the responsible thing would be to pay off my bike, not buy another one. That's why I was trying to find a cheap bike to commute and save my current for the weekend. I might just try and pay off my bike as fast as I can so I don't have to worry about having a loan I need to still pay off when I drop money on another bike. All this motorcycle talk is making me want to ride, I wish I was allowed to leave for lunch, :(

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Schroeder91 posted:

That's what I originally wanted to do, but if I'm able to save up a couple thousand the responsible thing would be to pay off my bike, not buy another one. That's why I was trying to find a cheap bike to commute and save my current for the weekend. I might just try and pay off my bike as fast as I can so I don't have to worry about having a loan I need to still pay off when I drop money on another bike. All this motorcycle talk is making me want to ride, I wish I was allowed to leave for lunch, :(

If it is really only five miles and you want to save money, you could run to work. Again assuming this isn't an especially patriotic part of the US where you can only get to work by interstate highway. Then you can save your bike for the weekend and save a poo poo ton of money.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

If it is really only five miles and you want to save money, you could run to work. Again assuming this isn't an especially patriotic part of the US where you can only get to work by interstate highway. Then you can save your bike for the weekend and save a poo poo ton of money.

Yeah but then you'd have to spend $200 every few months on a new pair of sauconys, and expensive protein mixes and hydration shirts with Teflon nipple protectors and at that point you might as well just put gas in a bike.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I test drove an 87 Ninja 500 (in the dark, thanks DST) last week, 14000 miles, it started cold no problem and runs smoothly like a dream, it was pretty comfortable and in not bad shape. The guy wants 1500 and says he 'won't go much lower because he can get that much easy during riding season.' I live in Los Angeles so it's always riding season.

It has a slightly leaky fork seal, a cracked fairing which is making one of the front turn signals droop, may need a new battery, and wiggles slightly around slow corners (which may just be an underinflated tire)

My dad said don't buy it if he won't take a grand. I was prepared to be a little more generous and say 1100, especially since blue book is like $1270 in good condition. It's not perfect shape cosmetically but I want it just for commuting and maybe some longer rides on the weekends, and to re-learn my skills as I spent a year and a half on a 1980 Honda 750 and now haven't ridden for almost 3 years.

I was planning on checking it out in the daylight tomorrow, what says the goon hivemind?

Easy fixers and getting a used bike for re-learning or are there better deals to be had?

Somebody else on craigslist has a 2000 ninja 500 listed for $2200 and it's been up for weeks. Is it worth it go go significantly newer?

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 14, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
What's the CA hive mind opinion on the KLR 650. A friend is selling a babied 2008 version. I have about .5 miles of total off road experience and this looks like a great bike to change that with. (that plus I don't really have the $ to justify a nice street bike at the moment)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think they're generally considered a solid purchase, if not especially cool. Kawasaki made exactly the same bike for something like 20 years so they must have done something right. I think there's a little piece in the engine you need to fix if it hasn't already been done (but maybe that was the DRZ400?)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There are worse bikes to learn to ride offroad on. KLRs are a bit heavy, but they get the job done.

Sagebrush is probably thinking of the doohickey.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I used my 99 VFR for most of my commuting, the 5th gens are out there for not a lot of money and the engines bulletproof, fuel injected, just, just an awesome all around bike. Have 55k miles on mine currently.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

What's the CA hive mind opinion on the KLR 650. A friend is selling a babied 2008 version. I have about .5 miles of total off road experience and this looks like a great bike to change that with. (that plus I don't really have the $ to justify a nice street bike at the moment)

The KLR is a compromise bike. It's stupid heavy for a dirtbike (430 pounds wet is ~100 pounds heavier than the DRZ400), it doesn't have the suspension travel it really should for proper offroading (7 inches is meh), it's not going to handle freeway all that well (although it can), the suspension is budget stuff, the engine doesn't make a lot of power, and it's got some structural flaws that have to be addressed before it's reliable (the doohicky). The 08+ also has a shitload of plastic bits that will explode when you drop it offroad.

Basically, it does everything poorly to acceptably. It's heavy and difficult offroad, it's lovely on the road, it's ok around town, and it's reliable-ish with some caveats.

I'd never buy one because the DRZ400S is a better bike overall.

If you're going to buy a KLR, the advantage is that they are loving cheap, and the older models crash really well. The value in a KLR is that you can get a reasonably reliable, crashable bike for sub 2k. If you want to learn to ride offroad, buy a DRZ400S, buy a XR650R, buy a KLX650, or something along those lines. Avoid the big, heavy, older, air cooled bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rontalvos posted:

I test drove an 87 Ninja 500 (in the dark, thanks DST) last week, 14000 miles, it started cold no problem and runs smoothly like a dream, it was pretty comfortable and in not bad shape. The guy wants 1500 and says he 'won't go much lower because he can get that much easy during riding season.' I live in Los Angeles so it's always riding season.

It has a slightly leaky fork seal, a cracked fairing which is making one of the front turn signals droop, may need a new battery, and wiggles slightly around slow corners (which may just be an underinflated tire)

My dad said don't buy it if he won't take a grand. I was prepared to be a little more generous and say 1100, especially since blue book is like $1270 in good condition. It's not perfect shape cosmetically but I want it just for commuting and maybe some longer rides on the weekends, and to re-learn my skills as I spent a year and a half on a 1980 Honda 750 and now haven't ridden for almost 3 years.

I was planning on checking it out in the daylight tomorrow, what says the goon hivemind?

Easy fixers and getting a used bike for re-learning or are there better deals to be had?

Somebody else on craigslist has a 2000 ninja 500 listed for $2200 and it's been up for weeks. Is it worth it go go significantly newer?
I dunno if 1500 is a good price for it, sounds a bit high considering its age and fork seals. Fork seals are not a cheap job. I do think it's worth it to get something newer than that. At that age, electrics and cables and other rubber parts are likely to start going bad so I can envision it needing some work every few months.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

If you want to learn to ride offroad, buy a DRZ400S, buy a XR650R, buy a KLX650, or something along those lines. Avoid the big, heavy, older, air cooled bikes.

Related to this, I have an older friend who has been riding motorcycles for far longer than I, but on-and-off in the last couple of years, who loves my CL350 and wants something similar but more modern. Basically just a modern scrambler. In his words:

quote:

what's an equivalent fun bike - light and just enough oomph - with electronic ignition etc. in today's market. And able to get on the road and off (in gentle ways).

The last bike he had was a Versys I believe. I was going to suggest something like the DRZ400S (or SM, depending) or the CRF250L. Do you think those would be reasonable suggestions? Anything else good out there? I don't know anything about Yamaha or Kawasaki's offerings in that field.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Need more information than that. Just about any bike will handle "light offroad". Triumph Scrambler for more street manners, DRZ for more offroad manners, depends on if his use case is fireroads or singletrack or posing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He lives in the Yukon, so imagine what sort of bike you'd want in Alaska.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A snowmobile v:shobon:v

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Snow mo-busa.

KodiakRS posted:

650 buy KLRs erry day.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Related to this, I have an older friend who has been riding motorcycles for far longer than I, but on-and-off in the last couple of years, who loves my CL350 and wants something similar but more modern. Basically just a modern scrambler. In his words:

The last bike he had was a Versys I believe. I was going to suggest something like the DRZ400S (or SM, depending) or the CRF250L. Do you think those would be reasonable suggestions? Anything else good out there? I don't know anything about Yamaha or Kawasaki's offerings in that field.

If he has access to lots of off road, I would suggest either a KTM Freeride 350 or an Ossa Explorer. The problem with the latter is finding one! If I had 5 grand and didn't live somewhere that hates dirtbikes, it's the one I'd get.

Cheaper alternative would be the old Gas Gas Pampera.

e, in the Yukon surely any of the above would rock. Caveat, the gas gas is a gas gas so everything bolted to the bike falls off unless you loctite each and every fastener...

Saga fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 16, 2013

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

If he's not looking at a lot of highway usage, I'd have a hard time arguing against a CRF250L. Light, stupid cheap and decent enough off road, better if you put real tires on. It's the end of the year, and I've seen dealers tossing new ones out on the floor for less than 4k. The only reason I haven't picked one up as a fuckoff bike is that I'm waiting to see if they're gonna drop a variant of the 300 in it for 2014.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oops wrong thread.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 16, 2013

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I currently have a 98 ZX6E/ZZR600 and am looking to upgrade to something a little newer. I've been looking through the We do it better with two thread and fell in love with the overall looks of the FZ6, however after researching it a bit I'm kind of thinking that it might be a step down. I've never ridden a Yamaha or the FZ6 for that matter but am looking for something light, quick, and cheap. The ZX6 and the FZ6 are about the same in terms of performance with the Kawi being quicker on paper. There's a FZ6 for sale locally for a good deal and it comes with a Power Commander so I'm thinking that give or take they should be about even? I know that the FZ is built around a detuned R6 engine, much like the ZX is built around a ZX6R engine, but the FZ looks to be more livable for long rides, which is something that I'd love but I don't want to lose the sports bike edge either. I love the modern tech and looks of the FZ6 and love the sportiness of the ZX6e but it's a bitch for riding anywhere further than an hour away (IMO).

Could someone shed some light on the FZ6s for me and what I should or should not expect? Or what to pay attention to when shopping for one?

E:Hopefully I posted in the right thread as I'm asking about a specific bike.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 16, 2013

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

travisray2004 posted:

Could someone shed some light on the FZ6s for me and what I should or should not expect? Or what to pay attention to when shopping for one?

Were you looking at the FZ6R? At some point, I can't recall exactly when, they replaced the old FZ6 Fazer in the US with basically a Ninja 650 competitor. So the latest FZ6R is not what you want most likely, but the older FZ6 Fazer.

EDIT: I think the US only got the standard version with 70ish HP, we don't get the S2 with 90-ish. Unless I am completely wrong about that.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

travisray2004 posted:

I currently have a 98 ZX6E/ZZR600 and am looking to upgrade to something a little newer. I've been looking through the We do it better with two thread and fell in love with the overall looks of the FZ6, however after researching it a bit I'm kind of thinking that it might be a step down. I've never ridden a Yamaha or the FZ6 for that matter but am looking for something light, quick, and cheap. The ZX6 and the FZ6 are about the same in terms of performance with the Kawi being quicker on paper. There's a FZ6 for sale locally for a good deal and it comes with a Power Commander so I'm thinking that give or take they should be about even? I know that the FZ is built around a detuned R6 engine, much like the ZX is built around a ZX6R engine, but the FZ looks to be more livable for long rides, which is something that I'd love but I don't want to lose the sports bike edge either. I love the modern tech and looks of the FZ6 and love the sportiness of the ZX6e but it's a bitch for riding anywhere further than an hour away (IMO).

Just to clarify, the ZZR600 (zx6e) has the exact same engine as the ZX6R. It's not detuned, it's geared for higher top speed rather than acceleration, but the difference is non-existent to mere humans. You may find the FZ6 is slower than the ZZR (if what Mister Duck said is true about it only having 70hp - ZZRs came out with roughly 100hp, although that'll be down on when it's new).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The FZ6 is known for being kind of gutless for its class.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The zx6e doesn't have the same engine as the 01 zx6r. The zx6e/zzr600 ran from 93-04, in 05 iirc, it went to a rebaged 01 zx6r.

The fz6 won't be a step up in terms of anything but a more upright seating position.

What are your goals out of your new bike? Post up and we can suggest some.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Thanks for the info guys.
Ultimately I just was looking for a bike that I could take for longer trips but still be sporty. The one bike that I had in mind was a VFR800 but I won't hold my breath on finding one locally, not to mention I'm a scrawny guy, so the added weight won't be to my benefit. Plus I'm not exactly sure if I'm ready to step up to an 800 just yet. That and I'm just not really one for the 90s looks of the ZX6e and wouldn't mind something more modern looking.

Z3n posted:

The zx6e doesn't have the same engine as the 01 zx6r. The zx6e/zzr600 ran from 93-04, in 05 iirc, it went to a rebaged 01 zx6r.

The fz6 won't be a step up in terms of anything but a more upright seating position.

What are your goals out of your new bike? Post up and we can suggest some.

This is correct, but in 03 rather. I'd be more apt to keep the bike (still a great bike) if the zx6e shared the aftermarket with the ZX6R like the 03+ ZZRs do.
I don't know, maybe I should just think of getting some risers, ignore the looks of it and call it a day. It seems like one of the European bikes would fit my bill, just not my budget.

I am probably going to stop by the local dealer and check out a few newer models to wrap my head around.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 17, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
"Consider a VFR" followed by "just get risers and refresh your suspension and seat foam" were recommendations I was going to make.

Another option that might get you where you want to be is getting a CBR600F4i - basically like your bike, with fuel injection and more modern styling - and put risers on it. More sporty than an FZ6, plenty of aftermarket and I'd say it looks a lot better too.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Alright, tell me if I'm an idiot for this.

For my next bike, I am really lusting for a Ducati. Its been my dream since I was a little kid. I've been looking at other bikes, and still am since I'm six months or so out from being back in the state's to purchase.

That said, I've ridden a 1098R and a new Panigale S. I don't want or need that much bike, so how stupid of an idea is it to be looking at an 848? One with all the farkles seems to be going for right at 10k, which is a lot (and more than any new bike I'd be getting.) Also, just looking at the drat things make my pants get tight.

Bike will be used for commuting 30 miles or so each way during the week, backroads on weekends and the occasional track day. I was also considering a new FZ09 or lightly used street/speed triple.

So, CA, tell me how stupid I am.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Ducati 916 is the answer here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Commuting on a Ducati sportbike (do they really make anything else?) sure doesn't sound like much fun but it might be worth it for all the stuff you do that isn't commuting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Monsters and Multis are quite comfortable.