Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

So I had watched Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto and thought they were alright, anything else like that?

You should watch Simoun. It's not that related really but enough to justify recommending it. Also yeah, MariMite is actually pretty cool, not really romance stuff though (the only relationship is in a brief flash-back and ends terribly). Oniisama E... is also a classic, but again don't look for any happy or durable lesbian romance (or any relationship really) there.

As for Strawberry Panic, I couldn't stand it, also it is a very obvious parody of the class S/general yuri tropes, so if you're not experienced with these kinds of shows/manga you might get even less from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Yeah, I sort of enjoyed Panic as well, and tried to get into Maria-sama, but guess I didn't get too far. But thanks guys.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You should probably just read the rest of those things that you watched, as neither comes close to the end of their stories. Sasameki Koto especially, Aoi Hana was kind of disappointing in the end though. Besides what's been named, the only other thing I can think of that's got outright yuri themes instead of just a subtext is Kannazuki no Miko, and that's very different in tone than the others.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's also:

Kashimashi, which is pretty decent but pure fluff.

Blue Drop, which I remember almost nothing about, except aliens and it being rubbish.

And also Revolutionary Girl Utena, if you're in it for yuri stuff, you're better off with the movie version, the TV version is more implied than explicit. They're both amazing though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Insurrectionist posted:

You should watch Simoun. It's not that related really but enough to justify recommending it.
Simoun is one of those series with a really bizarre and intricate premise that succeeds largely because it takes that premise and its implications seriously instead of then reverting to more familiar patterns.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I just finished watching Mushishi, and I'm looking for another anime to fill the void left by it. Is there anything else with a similar style, tone, or just a general chill tone?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

dmboogie posted:

I just finished watching Mushishi, and I'm looking for another anime to fill the void left by it. Is there anything else with a similar style, tone, or just a general chill tone?

Try Kino's Journey.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Natsume Yuujinchou is about the closest thing to Mushishi I've ever seen, and it's a great show itself. ^^ is another great recommendation.

If you don't mind simple dramas, try Haibane Renmei. It's one of the chillest shows I've watched, despite the ever-present sense of mystery.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ooh. I vaguely remember hearing good things about Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei. I haven't heard of Natsume Yuujinchou, but it seems neat. I'll have to check these out, thank you both!

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Kino's Journey is chill in that there's not a ton of action but it's depressing as hell at times.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yeah, Haibane Renmei is chill as all hell and is definitely worth the watch.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

John McClane posted:

Kino's Journey is chill in that there's not a ton of action but it's depressing as hell at times.

That makes it sound like a bit darker of a Mushi-Shi, which sounds fine with me. I would commit unspeakable acts for more Mushi-Shi, so I think I'm going to have to give Kino's Journey a shot.

And this is why you follow recommendation threads even if you're not actively looking for new things!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

dmboogie posted:

Master Keaton is a show where a talented fellow (former SAS, part time archaeologist, and prized investigator for Lloyd's) goes around the world solving problems. It has a unique focus on recent history and the stories are varied in tone: in one he might help a reformed IRA member to defuse bombs, in another he might help an archaeological team save a site from destruction.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Simoun is one of those series with a really bizarre and intricate premise that succeeds largely because it takes that premise and its implications seriously instead of then reverting to more familiar patterns.

Pretty much. It's also very non-anime in that way, I'd say. I frequently find series where the premise or first episode makes me think there's a ton of potential there, only to find it's squandered by, at best, taking a fairly shallow approach to said premise, or at worst just reverting to standard fanservice comedy or generic action stuff (for example, I personally feel Maoyuu is a perfect example of this). On the other hand, Simoun's premise and first episode are incredibly anime, with a ridiculous premise that I'd never really have any hope of being done well, an insane amount of techno/magicbabble and other jargon/names that sounds ridiculous, the blatant fanservice, and the weird art-style. Yet, this was one of the rare shows that actually played it straight and dealt with its themes and content very well (even serious anime have an annoying tendency to put in symbolism, themes, etc which it would be nice to see actually commented on and dealt with, and merely using them as basically exotic decoration, throwing them in just to look different or controversial, but never doing anything with them).

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Maybe this was covered before, but are there any good cooking anime out there?

I've watched Yakitate and I can't find anything for the Cooking Papa anime from the early 90's(late 80's?).

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Sonata Mused posted:

I've watched Yakitate and I can't find anything for the Cooking Papa anime from the early 90's(late 80's?).

Toriko has food in it, never watched it though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sonata Mused posted:

I've heard Cooking Master Boy is pretty good. Only seen a few episodes but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Oh yeah, I've read Chuuka Ichiban. Didn't know it had an anime, though. I'll check that out.

I'm already reading/watching Toriko. It's kind of silly, but good.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Insurrectionist posted:

As for Strawberry Panic, I couldn't stand it, also it is a very obvious parody of the class S/general yuri tropes, so if you're not experienced with these kinds of shows/manga you might get even less from it.

Strawberry Panic was way too fanservicey for me, when I'm looking for an anime with a decent plot that poo poo just gets in the way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Strawberry Panic was way too fanservicey for me, when I'm looking for an anime with a decent plot that poo poo just gets in the way.

Strawberry panic was?? It's been a while but I just remember it being insufferable wishy washy girly poo poo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, yesterday on a whim I marathoned all of [C]: Control and kinda liked the economic scheming the plot was mostly trying to be about. Is there anything else like that other than Spice and Wolf? Preferably something that has less shoehorned weird romance and is light on requisite shonen fighting if possible.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think it's quite the same thing you're looking for, but Gasaraki has a lot of economic plotting and scheming.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

So, yesterday on a whim I marathoned all of [C]: Control and kinda liked the economic scheming the plot was mostly trying to be about. Is there anything else like that other than Spice and Wolf? Preferably something that has less shoehorned weird romance and is light on requisite shonen fighting if possible.

Try Maoyuu. One of the mangas is generally considered the best version, but I can't actually remember which manga. The anime version ends on a cliffhanger but is pretty.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The problem being it does exactly the things he said he'd like them not to do.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blhue posted:

The problem being it does exactly the things he said he'd like them not to do.

Oh yeah, I guess it does have weird romance and shonen fighting.

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

Sonata Mused posted:

I found Yumeiro Patissiere to be watchable, but it depends on your tastes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The topic came up briefly in the Kill la Kill thread, but are Cutie Honey and Re: Cutie Honey worth watching, or are they more in the "Not to be mentioned in polite company" camp?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's go nagi sooooo. It's not like auper hosed up but it's a boob filled magical girlish show.

That said, RE: is pretty awesome, and very similar to kill la kill in regards to design and style. It's pretty pulpy though (there is lots of nudity) so if that what you mean yeah I wouldn't bust it out in front of your mah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Imaishi, the director of Kill La Kill, directed the first episode of RE: Cutie Honey and you can really tell he was behind it. So at the very least it's worth checking that out.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

chumbler posted:

The topic came up briefly in the Kill la Kill thread, but are Cutie Honey and Re: Cutie Honey worth watching, or are they more in the "Not to be mentioned in polite company" camp?

They're both fantastic. Go watch them.

E: To add, the original series is one of the best 70s anime that has subs available (an official release is coming later this month so you might want to hold out for that though) and is the most faithful in tone and content to Go Nagai's vision out of any of the anime related to his work from the 70s. Re: Cutie Honey is a pretty great re-imagining of the franchise that changes a whole bunch of stuff around while still being faithful to its core.

E2: Also the OP kicks rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5LElJe7E0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0rMFj_LFxY

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 19, 2013

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

chumbler posted:

I liked Cutie Honey Flash when I saw it ages ago, although the target audience is young girls so it basically swaps the focus from tits and asskicking to dressup and asskicking. It is a good series if you like mindless entertainment and 90s animation.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Looking for an anime (preferably show but movie/ova is cool too) with fights as good/animated as well as sword of the stranger

Any help would be appreciated!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a cat youtube posted:

Looking for an anime (preferably show but movie/ova is cool too) with fights as good/animated as well as sword of the stranger

Any help would be appreciated!

Samurai Champloo or Ninja Scroll would be a good place to start.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just watched the Garden of Words - bloody hell what a gorgeous film. Loved it. So many scenes where I just paused to take all the detail in. Nourishment for the eyes.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Just watched the Garden of Words - bloody hell what a gorgeous film. Loved it. So many scenes where I just paused to take all the detail in. Nourishment for the eyes.

Yep, that's Shinkai for you.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I personally didn't like Garden of Words, and I say that having recently seen Voices of a Distant Star. While the visuals were generally pretty, they were also really repetitive and not consistent in quality. One scene might have beautifully detailed and vivid scenery in every pixel of scene, and the next drab and lazy art mixed in with the detailed art. Also, I found the story to be pretty badly written, content aside. I was mostly confused despite understanding the plot.

But I agree that some of the art was gorgeous beyond belief, but unfortunately that wasn't enough for me to like the whole.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I have a general dislike for Shinkai's seeming obsession with listless nostalgia, but the guy certainly knows how to frame a beautiful shot. They don't call it "5 Wallpapers Per Second" for nothing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I haven't watched any of Shinkai's later works after 5 c/m. I pretty much found out about him shortly before the movie came out and watched Voices, Places, and then 5 c/m all right after eachother and they pretty much followed a "Shinkai" formula where he creates some kind of special premise, and the has characters talk about feelings while gorgeous shots happen with no action because that costs money.

The movies look great and if you like what he does it's amazing, but I burned out quick on him and really got tired after seeing him repeat the same thing again and again, while I can watch a director like Hosoda make completely different movies while still having a touch that you can tell belongs to him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you were to only watch one, which would you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you were to only watch one, which would you recommend?

Voices of a Distant Star since it's only a half hour long. But, if you want to watch an actual movie then probably 5cm per Second, he's only done like five things so it's not like there's a huge list to pick from.

Edit: I'm bored so here's a list of all his stuff in order of release and where to watch it:

She and Her Cat 5 min black and white story. watch here
Voices of a Distant Star Half-hour scifi drama, watchable on Crunchyroll.
The Place Promised in Our Early Days Full movie, scifi and character drama, available on crunchyroll. Used to be on Netflix, but I don't see it now.
5cm Per Second Full movie without any science fiction or fantasy: crunchyroll youtube
Children Who Chase Lost Voices Scifi/fantasy movie. This one has a different feel than the rest, in fact it feels a lot like a ghibli movie. Available on various disc formats.
Garden of Words Another one set in the real world without any fantasy elements. I don't think it's streaming anywhere, but is on disc.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 24, 2013

• Locked thread