Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Makes sense, while Preacher has distinct story arcs you could pretty much put as much filler as you want in there. Especially given the travelling around searching for God part of the premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I will be shocked if this show doesn't have huge amounts of its more offensive materials heavily watered down.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's a series about God Himself having what amounts to narcissistic personality disorder. I have to figure a televised version would be somewhat heavily altered.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ToastyPotato posted:

I will be shocked if this show doesn't have huge amounts of its more offensive materials heavily watered down.

Good, 99% of it was done just for shock value and did nothing but distract from a good story with good characters.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
All of Louisiana...Gone. Assface...Gone. Herr Starr medical issues...Gone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

Good, 99% of it was done just for shock value and did nothing but distract from a good story with good characters.

What, you don't think someone being raped in an alley is funny? Perhaps you don't understand, it's a man being raped.... by another man! That's comedy gold.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

It's AMC. I'm sure there'll still be lots of violence. But if the show tones down the most Ennisest stuff I won't have a problem with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I've always found annoying about Preacher is how after a certain point it feels like Ennis just got tired of the Genesis plot where Jesse just stops using it and then it never really gets resolved.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Wish list for the cast?

Jeremy Sisto as Jesse, Paddy Considine as Cassidy, and pay Clint Eastwood whatever he wants to be Saint of Killers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It shouldn't be too hard to get somebody who wants to play Herr Starr. He has some of the best lines in the comic. Richard Moll as Starr would be wonderful.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to get somebody who wants to play Herr Starr. He has some of the best lines in the comic. Richard Moll as Starr would be wonderful.

Udo Kier is my fantasy casting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg are writing/producing the Preacher series. Makes sense seeing as This is the End was also a mix of humor/supernatural.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'll never get over the super slick matte SUV's in Agents having S.h.i.e.l.d. right on the side.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I've always found annoying about Preacher is how after a certain point it feels like Ennis just got tired of the Genesis plot where Jesse just stops using it and then it never really gets resolved.

Thats true for most Vertigo series and even highly-acclaimed modern tv shows - to shove the IMPRORTANT PLOT STUFF and the skeleton of the high concept pitch away in favor of exploring themes and characters. Besides, the Genesis plot was reused from Ennis' run on the Hellblazer, he clearly did not want to care a lot about it. Worked incredibly well in the end, and Jessie even did not rely on his powers for the most of the book.

Reasoning for Rogan and Goldberg was probably "Hey you got a man hosed in the rear end by a demon in your last movie! We got a show for you where that would fit but we wouldn't let you to do any of this, please tone it down" :v:

AMC is a trash producer that got lucky with adopting two exceptionally amazing shows, so I hope that this would burn in the development hell next to 100 Bullets The Show.

The chance to see Danny McBride channeling Bill Hicks is tempting, but naaah, Preacher is too good and unique (and so culturally 90s) to be adapted by anyone.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is the series were Jesus descendants are a bunch of inbreed retards, no way they are leaving that in.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's funny that if not for alll the anti-religion stuff, the show would probably be right at home on Fox News.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

e X posted:

This is the series were Jesus descendants are a bunch of inbreed retards, no way they are leaving that in.

Sermon on the mount! Humperdoodle!

Thing is, the whole Grail plotline is pretty much the major one through the first part of the series.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

I'll never get over the super slick matte SUV's in Agents having S.h.i.e.l.d. right on the side.

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s never been one for subtlety.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

INVERTED COMMAS HOOVER! INVERTED loving COMMAS!

I'd be shocked if the show left Jesus De Sade and the Sex Detectives in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This news is just reminding me that in retrospect I don't think I actually like the comic that much.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Billy Idle posted:

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s never been one for subtlety.

Yeah I mean just look at the logo on that bike. They clearly aren't hiding who fury is working for.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
By putting their logo on their stuff, they prove that it can't possibly be their stuff, because why would they put their own logo on if they're trying to stay secret?

These folks are professionals, there's a reason for all this. :ssh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

This news is just reminding me that in retrospect I don't think I actually like the comic that much.

The comic is a surprisingly good reading experience because it's got solid characters, clever writing and great pacing, but once you're done with it, the immense pile of unfunny, intolerant, juvenile Ennis garbage that accumulated makes you wonder how you even got through the whole thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It seems that for a lot of guys my age, Preacher served as the introduction to non-superhero comics. It came along at exactly the right time and place to appeal to non-religious college kids like me. It didn't hurt that for almost the entirety of its run Wizard magazine never gave up an opportunity to suck it off.

In retrospect, I would've been much happier with the book if not for the weird attempt at a love triangle that comes pretty close to derailing the entire plot. There's also a lot in the series that seems like it was thrown in for the sake of being thrown in, like Ennis is drunk on the freedom of being at Vertigo and being able to say just about whatever comes to mind.

As for the subject matter itself, hell, I often laughed. Rereading it now, I don't so much.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

It seems that for a lot of guys my age, Preacher served as the introduction to non-superhero comics. It came along at exactly the right time and place to appeal to non-religious college kids like me. It didn't hurt that for almost the entirety of its run Wizard magazine never gave up an opportunity to suck it off.

In retrospect, I would've been much happier with the book if not for the weird attempt at a love triangle that comes pretty close to derailing the entire plot. There's also a lot in the series that seems like it was thrown in for the sake of being thrown in, like Ennis is drunk on the freedom of being at Vertigo and being able to say just about whatever comes to mind.

As for the subject matter itself, hell, I often laughed. Rereading it now, I don't so much.

Preacher is responsible for bringing me back into comics in like '98 or '99.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I got back into comics like two years ago and I just find pretty much all of Ennis' stuff insufferable. I couldn't even get into Punisher MAX. He's almost as bad as Millar to me.

Edit: Okay, maybe that's harsh. Mostly I just find Ennis' stuff really lame and mean-spirited, while Unfunnies is basically the worst thing I've ever read.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 17, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

The comic is a surprisingly good reading experience because it's got solid characters, clever writing and great pacing, but once you're done with it, the immense pile of unfunny, intolerant, juvenile Ennis garbage that accumulated makes you wonder how you even got through the whole thing.

Ennis and Millar are two people who can create great characters that I like and stick them in stories that I hate.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ennis writes a drat good Superman story though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

greatn posted:

Ennis writes a drat good Superman story though.

Other than that one Hitman issue and "On The Dark Side", what has he written?

Not to say that those two stories wouldn't be enough. The Superman/Tommy Monaghan relationship is... I don't know how to phrase it other than "important".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If I never read Preacher, I'd have never read Transmetropolis or any non-superhero comic.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ennis and Millar are two people who can create great characters that I like and stick them in stories that I hate.

Ennis literally hates superheros. He calls them capes, but whether their back is a flag or not he hates them. His war stories or books about powerless 'heroes', are awesome.

Millar I barely know, he got some sort of fixation on rape in about 2000. There was a while when if I picked up a book and saw "Millar" on the cover I was thinking, 'yup, gonna be some man rape in this book' and was right. He's gotten over it for the most part, but I'm still wary.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Except Superman. For some reason Ennis just digs Superman.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I find it hard to tell if that particular issue of Hitman is reverential or mocking.

It's pretty good either way, tho.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
AMC should get a Boondock Saints reunion going on Sunday nights, cast Sean Patrick Flannery as Cassidy.

He's the spitting image.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Flannery was who I had in my head when I read it, but he's probably too old for the part now.

Sam Elliot for Saint of Killers or bust

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Except Superman. For some reason Ennis just digs Superman.

Or more likely knows enough not to poo poo where he eats when he's eating there.

"So you okay selling book just took a poo poo on Superman? Welcome to cancellation and black listing club."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

AMC should get a Boondock Saints reunion going on Sunday nights, cast Sean Patrick Flannery as Cassidy.

He's the spitting image.

He was on the final season of Dexter and he basically looks 30 years older than that now. And he's made of stretchy leather.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

Or more likely knows enough not to poo poo where he eats when he's eating there.

The Boys started out under a DC imprint, so eventually he felt confident enough to poo poo right onto his plate.

Then it was cancelled for some reason!... but he picked it up with Dynamite who let him to whatever the hell he wanted, for better or worse.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

"So you okay selling book just took a poo poo on Superman? Welcome to cancellation and black listing club."

He had Hitman vomit on Batman's boots in his first issue. He really isn't down with superheroes, except Superman.
He just plays into his fascination with american myth and immigration ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hakkesshu posted:

I got back into comics like two years ago and I just find pretty much all of Ennis' stuff insufferable. I couldn't even get into Punisher MAX. He's almost as bad as Millar to me.

Have you read Hitman? I used to have the exact same opinion and that just made me 180 on him. Also, his Hellblazer. Sometimes it feels like there are two Ennises.

Yannick_B posted:

He had Hitman vomit on Batman's boots in his first issue. He really isn't down with superheroes, except Superman.
He just plays into his fascination with american myth and immigration ideas.

I know he legitimately doesn't like superheroes but at the same time I've never understood how things like this are somehow an unconscionable assault upon them, as if writers who wear Justice League underoos have never written goofy poo poo happening to these characters before.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 18, 2013