Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I like 3 more than 4 because I feel the 2D graphics aged way better than 4's early 3D graphics.

Well, 2Dish. Voxels? I think? They aged better, is the point I'm trying to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

3 and 4 have the same engine though

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I understand that completely: I remember thinking how awful 3D looked even then. I couldn't imagine it taking off.

So, HoM V... III was the greatest - how about this one?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RentACop posted:

3 and 4 have the same engine though

Could just be the art direction, then. 3 seems "softer" with less hard edges.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Xotl posted:

I understand that completely: I remember thinking how awful 3D looked even then. I couldn't imagine it taking off.

Probably the second best. At the very least WAY better than IV.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ComposerGuy posted:

Geneforge is the best series Vogel has made (and I say this as a fan of Exile/Avernum as well). Whether or not you will like them depends on a few things:

- Are you OK with simplistic graphics?

- Do you like Ultima and/or Pokemon?

- Are you a fan of the old type RPG gameplay?

If "yes" to 2-out-of-3, grab it. They are surprisingly complex for being made by one dude.

edit: plus its 3 bucks for five games.

edit2: :siren:FMV MARK HAMILL IS UP:siren:
  1. Yes
  2. I've never played any of the Ultima games. I did play the first three generations of Pokemon (up to Ruby/Sapphire), after which I abandoned the series.
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by old-type. I assume you mean stuff like Ultima, Might and Magic, and Wizardry. If so, I have to say no, because I've never played any of them.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Pvax I lied. I'm heading out to meet a friend, so if HOMM 3 comes up, get it for yourself, and I'll repay your kindness at Christmas.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Could just be the art direction, then. 3 seems "softer" with less hard edges.

Actually yeah, I went and trawled through some youtubes to make sure I wasn't crazy and while 3 has less detailed textures they look a lot cleaner and less busy

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Xotl posted:

V took a lot of its cues from III. Most people place it right behind III (some will say II is slightly better, but that's nitpicky, it's solid).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Probably the second best. At the very least WAY better than IV.
Eh, IV is hard to rank as it mostly depends on if you like the changes to the role of the heroes. Personally I preferred IV to the others for that reason, but I can totally see why you wouldn't.

Iirc the campaigns in (vanilla?) V were kind of lovely - short and lots of gimmick maps.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

pvax posted:

This info is taken from the thread on GoG. Here are the games that should still have a last chance sale.

Current as of Heroes of Might an Magic 5 - which just went up.

code:
Games that should be left to come.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic $2.49
Alpha Centauri $1.49
Aquanox $1.49
Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut $4.99
Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga $1.99
Beyond Good and Evil $2.49
Brutal Legend $3.74
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller $10.09
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav $3.99
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Ed $1.49
Expeditions: Conquistador $4.99
FEZ $2.99
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams $2.99
Heroes of Might & Magic 3: Complete Ed $2.49
Hotline Miami $2.49
I have No Mouth And I Must Scream $1.93
Icewind Dale Complete $1.99
Jade Empire: Special Ed $2.99
King of Dragon Pass $1.49
King's Bounty: Crossworlds GOTY $4.99
La Mulana $2.99
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver $1.49
Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded $7.99
Lucius $3.99
Miasmata $2.99
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Ed. $1.99
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident $1.99
Omerta: City of Gangsters + all DLC $7.99
Planescape: Torment $1.99
Postal 2 Complete $2.49
Primordia $2.49
Psychonauts $2.49
Puddle $1.99
Rayman Origins $4.99
Resonance $2.49
Sacred Gold $1.99
Shelter $3.99
Space Colony HD $2.49
Spellforce Platinum $2.49
Strike Suit Zero $4.99
Sword of the Stars: The Pit $2.09
Theme Hospital $1.49
Thief Gold $1.99
Thief 2: Metal Age $1.99
Thief 3: Deadly Shadows $1.99
Tomb Raider 1+2+3 $2.49
Tropico 3 Gold Ed. $2.99
Ultima Underworld 1+2 $1.49
Wargame: European Escalation $6.69
Wing Commander: Privateer $1.49
Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings $5.99 

Bugger. I already had NWN2 before, but I wanted to get a $5 copy for whoever.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, a lot of the campaigns rapidly fall off in fun the further you go in. Lots of stupid poo poo like not being able to use your own hero's race for the bulk of a campaign, or limited armies with units that will leave you every turn, or hordes of AI enemy blitz rushes. The AI also cheats if you procrastinate and like to explore everything, making the lategame in any big map an absolute slog.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hotline Miami, people.

Of all the games to NOT ship with a soundtrack...

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I know this game is supposed to be great but it looks boring as gently caress.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Industrial posted:

It's really good, especially if you like score attack games. It's one of the few games I have on Steam in which I got all the cheevos.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Industrial posted:

It's very fanatic when you get in game, which combined with the music is just a great experience.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Industrial posted:

It's a puzzle game more than it is a run & gun.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Industrial posted:

The game is many things, but "boring" is not one of them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'll be the voice of dissent, Hotline Miami has a lot of bullshit deaths and that got old quick.

Also NWN2 was only $4. :)

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Rirse posted:

It's very fanatic when you get in game, which combined with the music is just a great experience.

What differentiates it from like, every other top down shooter that looks exactly the same? It looks like psychedelic Smash TV or something.

The videos I'm watching don't appear to show much strategy, it's just some dude busting into rooms and killing people before they even react.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I'll be the voice of dissent, Hotline Miami has a lot of bullshit deaths and that got old quick.

Sure, you die easily but that doesn't really matter because you can restart immediately on the same floor. And the music keeps you pushing to continue playing. It is hugely satisfying when you finish a level.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Industrial posted:

What differentiates it from like, every other top down shooter that looks exactly the same? It looks like psychedelic Smash TV or something.

The videos I'm watching don't appear to show much strategy, it's just some dude busting into rooms and killing people before they even react.

That's basically the difference. The combat is very, very fast and lethal, so you have to plan your approach and not let enemies get a shot off. If one of them gets a bead on you, you're very likely dead. So you have to analyze ahead of time, "Ok, so I knock down the first guy with the door, throw my knife at the dude with the shotgun, grab the first guy's gun and cap the man with the bat, then finish the first guy".

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Industrial posted:

The music and some subtle video effects combine with the brutality to stupefy your upper consciousness. It's a psychedelic experience without peer. Now whether this is something you WANT is another question entirely.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Industrial posted:

It's not much of a top-down shooter. Enemies are much quicker and you can't take a hit at all (any damage you take is an instant death), and guns aren't as good as you'd think. The strategy is figuring out the quickest and most efficient way to clear the stage. You can progress slowly and methodically, but that will give you a poor score. If you want to maximize your score, you'll need to chain kills as fast as possible while also rotating out weapons on-the-fly (since using the same weapon consecutively will reduce your potential maximum) and attempting various executions. This is more obvious in the later stages of the game, where enemies are more plentiful and have guns.

And this is why I say it's a great score attack game. You don't have to play the game super quickly to clear it, but you are rewarded with a high score for a show of speed and skill. If that's not interesting to you then I don't know what to say. The story is kinda meh.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 16, 2013

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Industrial posted:

The concept is nice, but I get frustrated as gently caress with it pretty often. Supposedly they encourage people to be more reckless than methodical, but being reckless just winds up getting you shot by that one guy you didn't see patrolling a neighbouring hallway and such.

Also, I appreciate everyone who was willing to grab me a copy of Geneforge. I checked the thread, but the last one up was saying it was on sale.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
As somebody who normally hates insta-death bullshit, I actually enjoyed Hotline Miami a lot. Still haven't finished it, but I had a lot of fun with it so far. Yeah, you die in one shot, but you have unlimited lives, and you just hit one key and you're instantly back at the beginning of the floor (not the whole level), so there's no break from the action. And there's variety in the enemies' actions: some stand still, some walk specific paths, and, most importantly, some will take seemingly random paths. And different weapons spawn in the level each time you die. These two things keep it from becoming a "memorize the exact actions and timing to win" game (a type of game I also normally hate). You'll still need to plan ahead to a degree, as other posters have said, but the randomness keeps it from getting stale and frustrating.

Plus the game helped introduce me to the music of Sun Araw, it was worth buying just for that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hotline Miami is kind of like Meat Boy in its design sense. Some say there's no strategy to it but there is. Just like you have to master the quirks of Meat Boy's jumping, you have to learn the AI patterns, weapon range, and angles in HM. Like with Meat Boy it's 1 part learning the levels, 1 part learning enemy placement, and then all execution. Sometimes I would blaze through a level on my first try, other times it took me a dozen or more.

If that doesn't sound appealing then no, it won't appeal to you. The only times I wasn't having fun were scripted moments like the boss fights and the timed SWAT raid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ComposerGuy posted:

Geneforge is the best series Vogel has made (and I say this as a fan of Exile/Avernum as well). Whether or not you will like them depends on a few things:

- Are you OK with simplistic graphics?

- Do you like Ultima and/or Pokemon?

- Are you a fan of the old type RPG gameplay?

If "yes" to 2-out-of-3, grab it. They are surprisingly complex for being made by one dude.

edit: plus its 3 bucks for five games.

edit2: :siren:FMV MARK HAMILL IS UP:siren:

To be fair, if you don't like one of those 5, you probably won't like the others. But yes,if you have any interest, it's a huge amount of content.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Definitely. One of my favorite parts of that game was trying to master every level. When you can run through a floor without any weapons, it's pretty fun.

Edit: Hotline Miami, I mean.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 17, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't like Hotlime Miami then there is something wrong with you, or why the hell are you even playing games?

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog

bowmore posted:

If you don't like Hotlime Miami then there is something wrong with you, or why the hell are you even playing games?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The only things I didn't enjoy in Hotline Miami was the two boss fights and the hospital level, but otherwise, Hotline Miami was loving amazing.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Hotline Miami was awesome and everyone should own a copy... And frankly at this point probably does. I'm still waiting for HoMM 3 to roll back around.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

monster on a stick posted:

Also NWN2 was only $4. :)

I was trying to lie my way to increasing my goonerosity by 20%, and you hosed it up. Nice job.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Hey goons, some GOG user gifted me a copy of Master of Magic after I traded for a copy. Would anyone like my spare copy?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

liquid courage posted:

Hey goons, some GOG user gifted me a copy of Master of Magic after I traded for a copy. Would anyone like my spare copy?

Sure, I'd like to try it!

Tombstone Monarch
Dec 21, 2006

Here comes the pay!

liquid courage posted:

Sure, I'll take it.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Alright, copy goes to Saucerman. What's your Gog account name?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

liquid courage posted:

Alright, copy goes to Saucerman. What's your Gog account name?

saucerman1947

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Do you have Steam or something? I can't find your info unless I find a post of yours on the Gog forums, I think.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 17, 2013