Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Zero VGS posted:

Assuming I'm the crafty type, is there any reason that I can't jury-rig a closed-loop liquid CPU cooler onto a GPU die? Does the rest of the chipset really get that hot or could I stick some copper fins on the rest and let the case airflow do its job? I'm not overclocking and I just want to reduce noise at max load. The EVGA 770 I've got is surprisingly loud and Newegg has a quality liquid CPU cooler for $50.

It's doable, and a fairly common mod for Asetek OEM CLCs (which is most of them) - plans and part sales are easy to find on mod community forums, e.g. at overclock.net, and the proper retention adapter bracket is only a few bucks plus some elbow grease on the CLC's retention ring. You might get away with just heatsinks, but really you want fans on the VRAM and VRMs. The GPU die is actually only about 1/2 to 2/3 the card's total power usage, and those other parts must be cooled sufficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ghostpilot posted:

In addition to the above, here are some results with the Gelid Icy Vision rev2.

I'm thinking of snagging the Powercolor and a Gelid. Just a shame that it doesn't come with BF4 to help offset the cost of the cooler.

Edit: Agreed! Help! Talk me out of this!

I dunno, that seems solid as heck to me if you have a genuine need right now. Provided you're going for the R9 290, and not the 290x, you're probably going to have a wicked fast setup, about as fast as the 780 that will soon be changing hands or a bit faster if it turns out to have radical overclocking headroom (would need quiiite a bit, though). I mean, okay, smart money in the high end with AMD is still wait-and-see because as you note they don't have magical bundles out at the moment and the whole DIY aftermarket cooling is a pain in the rear end that also voids your warranty in most cases, and we know for sure that there will be after-market cooling solutions provided by the usual suspects soon. But if you just can't wait and you want to maximize the poo poo out of modern, DX11 games, then... :getin:, I reckon.

:unsmith:

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Ghostpilot posted:

In addition to the above, here are some results with the Gelid Icy Vision rev2.

I'm thinking of snagging the Powercolor and a Gelid. Just a shame that it doesn't come with BF4 to help offset the cost of the cooler.

Awesome. But now you're making me debating on returning the Xtreme III for a Gelid because it seems to cool just as well for less. :words:

I also think it looks better.

On the other hand, some users also report lovely VRM cooling as well as the fan not being exactly quiet. This is with the fan not being PWM, so it runs at full blast all the time unless you put an adapter on it.

At least with the Xtreme III, it's pretty much confirmed the VRM temps are good if you run it at 12V.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
This thread is so confusing. All I want is a card that can run 60 fps on all modern games for 1920x1080. I thought a 760 or a 770 would be enough, but you guys keep throwing around such intimidating names. 780, 780ti, 290x... 45fps with 780 vs 55fps with 780ti, what? What? I'm so confused now.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
This thread is less new person helpful than the parts picking thread, which is probably what you want. This one is more the "watch agreed throw all his money away on crazy ridiculous poo poo that no one else would be able to get away with without mockery" thread. But that's kind of long for a thread title.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EkardNT posted:

This thread is so confusing. All I want is a card that can run 60 fps on all modern games for 1920x1080. I thought a 760 or a 770 would be enough, but you guys keep throwing around such intimidating names. 780, 780ti, 290x... 45fps with 780 vs 55fps with 780ti, what? What? I'm so confused now.

This thread isn't actually for deciding what you should buy, it's more about GPU discussion as a whole.

If you want a clear answer about what to buy, go into the parts picking thread, and make a post describing your needs.

vv Fair point.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 16, 2013

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Nah, watching you people blow ridiculous amounts of money is way more fun than getting reasonable advice.

Edit: Albeit jealousy-inducing.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Join them. Join them with their 780s, their R9 290X's, their aftermarket cooling, and their 3-Way setups. SLI with them, and buy two 120Hz 1440p monitors. Don't look back. Lower than a 770 lies the path of weakness. Be unconstrained by such trivial notions as value or common sense. Burn your money and be free.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GrizzlyCow posted:

Join them. Join them with their 780s, their R9 290X's, their aftermarket cooling, and their 3-Way setups. SLI with them, and buy two 120Hz 1440p monitors. Don't look back. Lower than a 770 lies the path of weakness. Be unconstrained by such trivial notions as value or common sense. Burn your money and be free.

Reading this made me think of the start of Trainspotting.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GrizzlyCow posted:

This should be in the op

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

GrizzlyCow posted:

Burn, money, burn! On Mount Vesuvius the Titans crush all mortal sense. Burn, money, burn!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
When will Newegg or Amazon start selling the EVGA 780 Ti ACX? It's all I want :(

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

fookolt posted:

When will Newegg or Amazon start selling the EVGA 780 Ti ACX? It's all I want :(

What's wrong with buying it from evga directly?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Anyone has any stability or reliability concern with superclocked version of things? Specifically if it's worth the possible failures for the superclocked version of the 780ti with acx. I remember back in the 8800gts days all the super locked version died on me after a year or two.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

This thread is less new person helpful than the parts picking thread, which is probably what you want. This one is more the "watch agreed throw all his money away on crazy ridiculous poo poo that no one else would be able to get away with without mockery" thread. But that's kind of long for a thread title.

I ALSO OFFER ANALYSIS AND HELP WHEN I CAN, OKAY?!

EkardNT posted:

Nah, watching you people blow ridiculous amounts of money is way more fun than getting reasonable advice.

Edit: Albeit jealousy-inducing.

I'm about to prove you so wrong, unnf.

DaNzA posted:

Anyone has any stability or reliability concern with superclocked version of things? Specifically if it's worth the possible failures for the superclocked version of the 780ti with acx. I remember back in the 8800gts days all the super locked version died on me after a year or two.

Nope, EVGA has come a very long way in terms of quality and reliability since the 7000 series and 8000 series days when I'd have looked a bit sideways at them. They're very good at binning cards for specific performance tiers now. Pros: guaranteed to perform at least that well, probably a bit better! Cons: may not overclock as heavily as other companies' highest end cards because sometimes they're specifically holding back the really really good ones for the Classified or FTW versions. I've observed way less of that in the launch days when every board is a reference board than later on, though, so if you're after it, get while the getting's good. But by god why do you need a 780Ti? Don't you see how they laugh at you behind your back? They'll hate you, oh yes, they'll hate you for it, wait and see.

EkardNT posted:

What you're running into are LUDICROUS AS poo poo definitions of "enough." Unless you pretty much demand minimum 60FPS (as opposed to an average of 60FPS or higher with a few drops here and there to whatever your vsync/triple buffering/pre-rendered frames is set to), at the very highest settings in the most recent game engines that brutally stress the GPU, then a GTX 770 or an R9 280x / 7970GHz are great options that don't cost an arm and a leg. You can get a 770 now for what it costs to get a 760 with 4GB of VRAM. The price war is happening, I just wish it were a bit more aggressive from team green given that they've been popping out GK104 chips for a very long time now (in fab-years :haw:) and they could almost certainly afford to drop it down another $30 to $60 and be a bit more competitive.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Rahu X posted:

Interesting. I would think the BIOS switch wouldn't really make a difference as it's easily overwritten.

Seems like my MSI reference won't be able to be flashed though. It uses Elpida memory. :(

There may be hope for you yet. Seems that the memory make isn't a factor after all.

"Exactly. Hopefully he delivers. I also hope that within several days, we may be able to crack the code so to speak and find out why some 290s unlock and some wont. So far, we ruled out the AIB and memory chips have nothing to do with it."

Also, there is now a thread specifically for 290 unlocking over on OCN.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 17, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
So who wants my 2x 4GB 760s? Debating a switch to a single 290 and hoping to flash it, it seems to be this generation's 6950.

Hell if I can get that Powercolor for $400 I'll let go of both my 760s for 200 each shipped.

Also this is wonderful:

deimos fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 17, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

deimos posted:

So who wants my 2x 4GB 760s? Debating a switch to a single 290 and hoping to flash it, it seems to be this generation's 6950.

Hell if I can get that Powercolor for $400 I'll let go of both my 760s for 200 each shipped.

Also this is wonderful:

You can get that Powercolor over on Newegg for $400, with the same cooler for 75 bucks.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ghostpilot posted:

You can get that Powercolor over on Newegg for $400, with the same cooler for I believe 74 bucks.

The XFX also flashes well.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

deimos posted:

The XFX also flashes well.

I'm kinda caught between the two, as XFX flashes well and comes with BF4 (to sell), but the Powercolor has had the highest success rates so far.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dear loving christ, I was sifting through the extra crap that came in the box with my EVGA 780 TI, and they included a "Game of Pwns" poster. Seriously, video card industry, get your poo poo together.

:ughh:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dear loving christ, I was sifting through the extra crap that came in the box with my EVGA 780 TI, and they included a "Game of Pwns" poster. Seriously, video card industry, get your poo poo together.

:ughh:

Oh they are still giving those out?

Save it, its a collectible.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Agreed posted:

What you're running into are LUDICROUS AS poo poo definitions of "enough." Unless you pretty much demand minimum 60FPS

That's not ludicrous :colbert: this is why I'm getting a 780ti superclocked. gently caress framedrops under 60 for shooters.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Athropos posted:

That's not ludicrous :colbert: this is why I'm getting a 780ti superclocked. gently caress framedrops under 60 for shooters.

Did you miss the whole thing? Hold on I'll get it for you it's right there

Agreed posted:

What you're running into are LUDICROUS AS poo poo definitions of "enough." Unless you pretty much demand minimum 60FPS (as opposed to an average of 60FPS or higher with a few drops here and there to whatever your vsync/triple buffering/pre-rendered frames is set to), at the very highest settings in the most recent game engines that brutally stress the GPU, then a GTX 770 or an R9 280x / 7970GHz are great options that don't cost an arm and a leg.

You're just on our side of the ludicrous as poo poo definitions of enough! Welcome friend, it looks like I'm taking one for the team by being priority target so hustle hustle hustle I'm not losing any of you other crazy fuckers on my watch!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
[quote=""Agreed"" post=""421958781""]
I ALSO OFFER ANALYSIS AND HELP WHEN I CAN, OKAY?!

I'm about to prove you so wrong, unnf.

Nope, EVGA has come a very long way in terms of quality and reliability since the 7000 series and 8000 series days when I'd have looked a bit sideways at them. They're very good at binning cards for specific performance tiers now. Pros: guaranteed to perform at least that well, probably a bit better! Cons: may not overclock as heavily as other companies' highest end cards because sometimes they're specifically holding back the really really good ones for the Classified or FTW versions. I've observed way less of that in the launch days when every board is a reference board than later on, though, so if you're after it, get while the getting's good. But by god why do you need a 780Ti? Don't you see how they laugh at you behind your back? They'll hate you, oh yes, they'll hate you for it, wait and see.

What you're running into are LUDICROUS AS poo poo definitions of "enough." Unless you pretty much demand minimum 60FPS (as opposed to an average of 60FPS or higher with a few drops here and there to whatever your vsync/triple buffering/pre-rendered frames is set to), at the very highest settings in the most recent game engines that brutally stress the GPU, then a GTX 770 or an R9 280x / 7970GHz are great options that don't cost an arm and a leg. You can get a 770 now for what it costs to get a 760 with 4GB of VRAM. The price war is happening, I just wish it were a bit more aggressive from team green given that they've been popping out GK104 chips for a very long time now (in fab-years :haw:) and they could almost certainly afford to drop it down another $30 to $60 and be a bit more competitive.
[/quote]

So any idea when we might get a classified 780ti? Might as well hold out for one.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Thanks to some birthday gift card help, my GTX 780 arrives monday. I climbed the alchemist's mountain and killed my money because I want to live.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Ghostpilot posted:

There may be hope for you yet. Seems that the memory make isn't a factor after all.

"Exactly. Hopefully he delivers. I also hope that within several days, we may be able to crack the code so to speak and find out why some 290s unlock and some wont. So far, we ruled out the AIB and memory chips have nothing to do with it."

Also, there is now a thread specifically for 290 unlocking over on OCN.

Awesome. I'll have to try it out before installing the Xtreme III on my card. I doubt anything will happen, but it's worth a shot.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Someone posting their results to verify that the difference in performance was due to the additional unlocked shaders.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread/60#post_21205497

Here's the Cliff Notes version:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bit the bullet and ordered a 290 to replace my 670. I kinda wanted to stay green, but I wasn't shelling out an extra 100 bucks for a 780.

We'll see how this turns out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

El Scotch posted:

Bit the bullet and ordered a 290 to replace my 670. I kinda wanted to stay green, but I wasn't shelling out an extra 100 bucks for a 780.

We'll see how this turns out.

Which brand did you go for? Seems like for both performance (the fan controller/throttling issue) and potential shader unlock, Powercolor is the best bet, and Asus has not held up well. Hopefully that's remedied in the most recent Catalyst beta drivers.

I ask mainly because it seems like a lot of folks are going R9 290 + aftermarket cooler, which puts it within arm's reach of a GTX 780 anyway and also involves a shitload of effort to make happen - I'm assuming since you're after the value prospect you'll be using the stock cooler, and will want it to do its job properly, aheh.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 17, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Dammit Agreed. drat you. :negative:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

So any idea when we might get a classified 780ti? Might as well hold out for one.

No idea at all. I'm not even sure it'll be a big thing, given that Maxwell is kinda just around the corner and it usually takes them a couple months to diversify the product stack that much. Especially given the already very steep price, the market for even higher priced versions with even more manufacturer effort gone into binning an already carefully binned chip (from nVidia, I mean) seems like it must be vanishingly small. But I don't know, that hasn't kept manufacturers from making show-off products in the past. There's a full lineup for the 780, I just don't know when or how it could map to the 780 Ti. They've already got SCs out, though, so who knows. Gigabyte has their high-end factory OC'd version, too, but all the product copy on it reads as though it is genuinely their highest end product for the 780 Ti line.

Ghostpilot posted:

What did you do? :qq:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

Someone posting their results to verify that the difference in performance was due to the additional unlocked shaders.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread/60#post_21205497

Here's the Cliff Notes version:

I'm really surprised they didn't laser cut the extra shaders off on all dies.

This kind of unlocking lottery elevates the 290 beyond the best value card, to potentially an incredible value card.

My 6950 also unlocked, so the idea of just buying cards that unlock presents amazing value. That said, I somehow want the money more than performance, so 6970 class performance is still fine with me.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 17, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

Which brand did you go for? Seems like for both performance (the fan controller/throttling issue) and potential shader unlock, Powercolor is the best bet, and Asus has not held up well. Hopefully that's remedied in the most recent Catalyst beta drivers.

I ask mainly because it seems like a lot of folks are going R9 290 + aftermarket cooler, which puts it within arm's reach of a GTX 780 anyway and also involves a shitload of effort to make happen - I'm assuming since you're after the value prospect you'll be using the stock cooler, and will want it to do its job properly, aheh.

Powercolor, it was the cheapest, has the (apparently) highest potential of being unlock-able and they don't void warranties for fitting aftermarket coolers (I'm actually plotting moving to water cooling in the near-ish future; gently caress the stock cooler).

If it won't unlock it's still the best bang-for-buck around.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Agreed posted:

What did you do? :qq:

It's what I'm on the verge of doing. I'm | close to buying either the Powercooler (the increased odds) or the XFX (2nd in odds, but comes with BF4 to offset the cost. Though I'm not sure what I'd be able to offload that for these days). I spent a sizable chunk of yesterday afternoon scouring sites for any piece of info that would convince me to take the plunge.

Really, I'd rather stay Green (which I'd been up until now), but this is just too good to ignore.

And yeah, while it does put you in stone's throw of a 780 with an aftermarket cooler, it's still cheaper by $50-75 with better performance. v:shobon:v

HalloKitty posted:

I'm really surprised they didn't laser cut the extra shaders off on all dies.

This kind of unlocking lottery makes elevates the 290 beyond the best value card, to potentially an incredible value card.

Yeah, that was a point that was brought up in the thread I mentioned earlier. It's not certain whether it was a mistake or a subtle bit of marketing. But that's been what has been pressuring me to act, because this isn't going to last. Granted, the difference between a 290 and 290x isn't huge, but if you can get the latter for the price of the former...

I've been struggling with the coolers to go with. Most have been going with the Arctic Cooler Xtreme III, while the Gelid Ivy Vision V.2 has been gaining traction. I have heard that the Xtreme III was short on the particular heatsinks needed for the vrm's, while the quality of the vrm heatsink adhesives on the Gelid's were suspect and that thermal epoxy would be needed.

Why couldn't it be easy?

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 17, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ghostpilot posted:

We're all going to be 2fast2furious by the end of this.

Anyone have recommendations which of nVidia's proprietary shinybits I ought to try in order? Shadowplay? FXAA? LightBoost (whenever I get a monitor for that)?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Well, the XFX 290 has been ordered and talked them into a $20 gift card as well. :toot: Also. :pcgaming: :rice: :shepface:

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Anyone have recommendations which of nVidia's proprietary shinybits I ought to try in order? Shadowplay? FXAA? LightBoost (whenever I get a monitor for that)?

FXAA is in pretty much everything these days (hell, there's options for FXAA and MLAA in Chiv: Deadliest Warrior), so play with the shadows.

Anyways, I'm going to see if I can be anymore :rice:-er by flashing my 290. Will report my results, which will probably be absolutely no change.

EDIT: No luck. :( In fact, it seems that flashing the ASUS 290X rom actually bricked the BIOS in the uber position. I get no video at all on reboot.

Guess I'm lucky these cards have 2 BIOSes.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 17, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Shadowplay is neat as poo poo. I highly recommend playing around with it, once it's finished they stand a chance of really hurting the business of capture software companies in my opinion. If they're interested in that. One thing to note, it makes many DX games pre-DX9 not work so well - e.g. if you're a GoG fan, might need to turn it off to play some of the oldies that are still using DX but DX6/7/8.

TXAA is boss as heck but there are only a handful of games with it, you'll encounter it tangentially or not at all but if you do get a chance (Crysis 3, CoD: Ghosts, um... Secret World, this list may actually be exhaustive jesus christ I hope not), definitely check it out. It's a totally different "thing" than conventional AA, though technologically it piggybacks on a conventional MSAA pass. DO NOT LISTEN TO the nVidia Experience software when it tells you to turn FXAA on instead of TXAA in Crysis 3, if you have that, because my fuckin' 680 could do it and stay above 30FPS in most situations except for one really ludicrously detailed area with a shitload of tessellated water, the 780 can bang out 45fps+ before you overclock it, and seeing cinematic AA is totally worth it.

Being able to just force FXAA in the control panel and have a pretty high quality version of FXAA even in games with no AA is niiiice. Works on everything, even old rear end games. I force it globally and disable by-title if necessary (it is very, very rarely necessary - games that already use FXAA for their AA will automatically disable the control panel version anyway).

Get friendly with nVidia Inspector, run as administrator every time - you can go into the elevated driver settings with this and dick around with some really fantastic stuff. Mass Effect 3 is not a bad looking game stock, but force 2xSSAA and 2xSSAA transparency along with High Quality ambient occlusion and it is gorgeous. Also, play Vanguard, if you're playing other classes you're doing it wrong fyi. Re: Inspector, you'll need to know about AA compatibility bits in order to force different kinds of AA in various games. I could write a whole guide on this, but I don't have to as others have done it for me :D

For overclocking, either MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X will do it. I prefer Precision X. It's *just* for nVidia cards and they keep it up to date. Works like a charm. I'll email you a link since you probably don't have an EVGA account to download it with - the file isn't password protected or DRM-phone-home or anything, they just use it as a customer lure but as far as I'm concerned it's freeware, and I've never seen them moan about people using it even if they don't own an EVGA card so I really don't think they give a poo poo.

PhysX: very cool, surprisingly high performance hit. You haven't really played Borderlands 2 until you've played it with PhysX on high, though. Watch for low minimum FPS during intensive scenes, that's where SMX units seem to have the most trouble scheduling CUDA calculations vs. shader calculations and the juggling can get to be a bit much. I bought a 650Ti to use as a dedicated PhysX processor, but for gently caress's sake do not do this unless you're dumb as heck and want to be the next target for general derision and general "that guy"-ness.

I'm that guy :cry:

If I can think of more I'll email you.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Agreed posted:

PhysX: very cool, surprisingly high performance hit. You haven't really played Borderlands 2 until you've played it with PhysX on high, though. Watch for low minimum FPS during intensive scenes, that's where SMX units seem to have the most trouble scheduling CUDA calculations vs. shader calculations and the juggling can get to be a bit much. I bought a 650Ti to use as a dedicated PhysX processor, but for gently caress's sake do not do this unless you're dumb as heck and want to be the next target for general derision and general "that guy"-ness.

I'm planning on getting a 290X and keeping my 670 so I can do this:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hybrid-physx-with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html