Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Ignite Memories posted:

Man... aside from the novelty of a levitating electric-type and a sarcophagus pokemon, there is nothing in that list I liked. I suppose I'll just have to power my way through... :sigh:
Sorry, but Cottonee and Whimsicott are great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

I recommend Toxic Orb with Facade. 140+STAB is a great option, especially if you can regenerate your health using Horn Leech. After that, Wild Charge/Megahorn/Jumpkick for coverage and Grass Whistle to bypass any walls. With Serene Grace, it's 100% accurate and since it's not a spore-move, it should work on grass.

Serene Grace only affects moves with secondary effects, so for example Thunderbolt's chance of paralyzing will be doubled. It doesn't affect Grass Whistle at all. Toxic Orb is a terrible idea if you plan for Sawsbuck to stay in for more than a couple of turns, you may be able to outheal it with Horn Leech initially but not in the long run, and Return with a Life Orb is both more reliable and affects more than just your Normal STAB.

Somehow I didn't notice somebody already pointed this out

Choray fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 17, 2013

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Just battled a Japanese dude that used a RestTalk Fissure Stunfisk. The problem was that I was using a vivilon and he just stayed in and kept fissuring over and over while I set up. :psyduck:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Sorry, but Cottonee and Whimsicott are great. :colbert:

Ok, yeah, they're pretty cute, but i'm already so fond of my venusaur and klefki, I don't really need a grass fairy :/

I'm putting in all this time mostly just so I can recover my Lugia for a double handbird team, but I'm also probably going to bring back my Swords Dance / Waterfall / Earthquake / Ice Fang Feraligatr. Is there room on a 6th-gen team for one of those? I was really happy with how he could cover his weaknesses so effectively.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

horriblePencilist posted:

What does the Uber-tier look like now anyway? Any additions or removals? Obviously all weather-related mons probably dropped a tier or two, and they might have to make a new tier above Uber for some Megas, but what else is new?

I don't think anything is dropping Kyogre out of Ubers ever, just saying.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ I was more referring to dudes like Excadrill, but yeah.

Choray posted:

Serene Grace only affects moves with secondary effects, so for example Thunderbolt's chance of paralyzing will be doubled. It doesn't affect Grass Whistle at all. Toxic Orb is a terrible idea if you plan for Sawsbuck to stay in for more than a couple of turns, you may be able to outheal it with Horn Leech initially but not in the long run, and Return with a Life Orb is both more reliable and affects more than just your Normal STAB.

Somehow I didn't notice somebody already pointed this out

Oh, I thought the Toxic Orb would only poison the holder. My bad. So yeah, Life Orb Return is your best bet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a preferred way to breed a Pokemon from 2 IVs and a 3 IV Ditto to a 4 - 5 IV pair of parents?

Anyone know the best way to do this? Would my best bet be pairing a 3 IV and 2 IV parent together with Destiny Knot and hope for the best? Right now, I have two 3 IV Sawsbucks with a total of 4 IVs connecting, but should I just pair one of the 3 IVs with a 2 IV in the other desired stats?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
In breeding progression you sub parents with more IV's total in with at least one stat not overlapped until you're breeding w/ 5 IVers (or stop at 5 IVs b/c :effort:)

2+2 to 2+3 to 3+3 to 3+4 to 4+4 to 5, sometimes yo uget lucky and get 5's off of 2 3's.

When subbing parents keep in mind things like nature and hidden ability (don't sub in female froakies that don't have protean etc)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm breeding beldums and I have a question about natures. Is getting an attack raising nature really that good or should I slap an everstone on one of the quirky 5IV beldums I have? I am drowning in 4-5 IV beldums.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

So I'm breeding beldums and I have a question about natures. Is getting an attack raising nature really that good or should I slap an everstone on one of the quirky 5IV beldums I have? I am drowning in 4-5 IV beldums.

Use synchronize to get a ditto of the right nature. Having the proper nature is always important.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zoness posted:

In breeding progression you sub parents with more IV's total in with at least one stat not overlapped until you're breeding w/ 5 IVers (or stop at 5 IVs b/c :effort:)

2+2 to 2+3 to 3+3 to 3+4 to 4+4 to 5, sometimes yo uget lucky and get 5's off of 2 3's.

When subbing parents keep in mind things like nature and hidden ability (don't sub in female froakies that don't have protean etc)

So I should do something like 3 (HP, Atk, SpA) + 2 (Def, Speed)?

My question is what to do after that. 5 IV would be fine since I'm not utilizing SpA much at all. When replacing the 2 IV, I should aim for 3 IVs in useful stats, right? Utilizing elsewhere would make 0 sense, logically (from what I think I know).

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Strange Quark posted:

Aegislash does seem immune to Mummy though, if the one in Sushi High Roller is anything to go by.

Abilities that define how the Pokemon work, things like Truant or Slow Start, usually cant be changed by anything. I guess Stance Change qualifies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zoness posted:

Use synchronize to get a ditto of the right nature. Having the proper nature is always important.

I'm trying to get a shiny actually so I'm using a japanese ditto. If I get one of the right nature then (I'm thinking adamant or brave) I'll toss an everstone on it. Or does which parent holds the destiny knot matter at all?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

noirstronaut posted:

So I should do something like 3 (HP, Atk, SpA) + 2 (Def, Speed)?

My question is what to do after that. 5 IV would be fine since I'm not utilizing SpA much at all. When replacing the 2 IV, I should aim for 3 IVs in useful stats, right? Utilizing elsewhere would make 0 sense, logically (from what I think I know).

You could do that, but it's going to be pretty slow. You're going to be a lot better off if you've got two 3IVs, for one, and you're always better off if you've got overlap in whatever you're doing because the more stats shared between the parents that have 31s in them the better odds of actually having that passed down.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Meat Recital posted:

Abilities that define how the Pokemon work, things like Truant or Slow Start, usually cant be changed by anything. I guess Stance Change qualifies.

Except Truant CAN be changed by Mummy.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
GAAAAHHHH

loving Rhyperior survives a Grass Knot with a Focus Sash and proceeds to OHKO with loving HORN DRILL on my 40+ Battle Maison streak.

I don't know how anyone has the patience or mental fortitude for this poo poo without resorting to cheating.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Meat Recital posted:

Stance Change is one of two abilities that can't be changed by Mummy. The other is Multitype, which can't be changed by anything. There are some other effects that can remove Truant or Slow Start. It seems somewhat inconsistent. It's kind of moot for now, though, as neither Cofagrigus, Slaking, Regigigas, nor Arceus can be obtained currently.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Reinanigans posted:

GAAAAHHHH

loving Rhyperior survives a Grass Knot with a Focus Sash and proceeds to OHKO with loving HORN DRILL on my 40+ Battle Maison streak.

I don't know how anyone has the patience or mental fortitude for this poo poo without resorting to cheating.

I just do Singles, man. Save yourself the headache and frustration. Sure, it takes a little longer to rack up BP, but you also don't feel like you're about to have an aneurysm from the AI's bullshit. Singles doesn't even start getting tricky until the last five battles, and even then it's really mild.

Worst I've fought is a Tyranitar that used Fling to huck an Iron Ball at my Mega Gengar to OHKO her.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'm trying to get a shiny actually so I'm using a japanese ditto. If I get one of the right nature then (I'm thinking adamant or brave) I'll toss an everstone on it. Or does which parent holds the destiny knot matter at all?

It doesn't matter which parent holds the destiny knot. What I would suggest doing is first breeding a 5-6 IV parent first with egg moves and the nature you want before breeding it for a Masuda Method pokemon, so this way it'll have a higher chance of having great IVs (and you can wonder trade off the extra progeny)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

It doesn't matter which parent holds the destiny knot. What I would suggest doing is first breeding a 5-6 IV parent first with egg moves and the nature you want before breeding it for a Masuda Method pokemon, so this way it'll have a higher chance of having great IVs (and you can wonder trade off the extra progeny)

Beldum learns no egg moves and can only breed with ditto. And getting a foreign 4-5IV ditto is like pulling teeth. But otherwise its mostly just a matter of waiting. I'm honestly curious if I'll get a 6IV beldum or a shiny first.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What's a good EV spread for Bold Prankster Klefki?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You could do that, but it's going to be pretty slow. You're going to be a lot better off if you've got two 3IVs, for one, and you're always better off if you've got overlap in whatever you're doing because the more stats shared between the parents that have 31s in them the better odds of actually having that passed down.

Well, I have two 3 IVs now, but, between them both, Speed (one of its highest stats) is not perfect.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

noirstronaut posted:

This is why I come to SA instead of relying 100% on Smogon. Thanks for the suggestions!

This is great unintentional humor because that Toxic Orb Facade/Grasswhistle set was pretty bad advice. This was the post right above yours, which you may not have seen:

Ruggington posted:

Life Orb Return is nearly as strong, and all of your other moves are stronger as well. Also, Serene Grace doesn't work that way and you should be using Sap Sipper.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bongo Bill posted:

Stance Change is one of two abilities that can't be changed by Mummy. The other is Multitype, which can't be changed by anything. There are some other effects that can remove Truant or Slow Start. It seems somewhat inconsistent. It's kind of moot for now, though, as neither Cofagrigus, Slaking, Regigigas, nor Arceus can be obtained currently.

In particular, Worry Seed/Gastro Acid is great for you to use on your ally Regigigas/Slaking in doubles to remove their abilities and turn them into powerhouses, although it's a pretty predictable strategy.

ChibiSoma posted:

I just do Singles, man. Save yourself the headache and frustration. Sure, it takes a little longer to rack up BP, but you also don't feel like you're about to have an aneurysm from the AI's bullshit. Singles doesn't even start getting tricky until the last five battles, and even then it's really mild.

Worst I've fought is a Tyranitar that used Fling to huck an Iron Ball at my Mega Gengar to OHKO her.

Yeah but then you can't get the Lansat or Starf berries from the 100/200 win streaks.

GauchoNaut2085
Oct 23, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

GAAAAHHHH

Honestly, it really is just mental fortitude and a solid plan. Super rotation kept kicking my rear end and then with the right setup it was the one I got a 100 streak on. It also helps to know the various degrees of bullshit that exist like clumsy switcheroos.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its not like the Maison is hard either. It's just that once in awhile some stupid team with bullshit moves gets lucky and you can't do much about it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Serene Grace Togekiss eats the Maison up. I used one with an Assault Vest and barely ever had to switch it out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm building my Mega Gardevoir right now, and this is what she's got:

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Modest
Max speed, s.atk, rest into hp?
-Calm Mind
-Focus Blast
-Moonblast
-Shadow Ball

What I'm wondering is if Shadow Ball is really worth it. Aegislash has Shadow Sneak which would go off before she'd have a chance to use Shadow Ball, and I've already got an Aegislash of my own for Psychic types. Should I put something else in SB's place? Energy Ball is similar and has slightly more power behind it, but I don't know if a Grass move is going to be all that useful.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
hey, had a question, I did.

Could you exploit the Maison by saving before you talk to the lady and then declining to save the game? If that's possible, it seems like a major oversight.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

hey, had a question, I did.

Could you exploit the Maison by saving before you talk to the lady and then declining to save the game? If that's possible, it seems like a major oversight.

No, you can't start the challenge without saving first. It's been that way since the Battle Tower was introduced in Gen III.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You cannot. You should try stuff before asking.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

JesustheDarkLord posted:

You cannot. You should try stuff before asking.

I didn't have my game with me. I don't know if you know me from some other place, but your responses to me in this thread have been nothing but snarky and it's kinda weird and antisocial, but I won't dwell on it.

Anyway, does anyone know if the possibility of seasonal formes can/will be reintroduced? I was looking at various forums about Swasbuck (and Deerling) switching formes and since seasons are out, it seems unlikely, but have there been any additions to the game that could possibly hint towards forme changes?

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 17, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
They probably didn't include stuff like seasons so that they could get the game out sooner. The lack of features probably has more to do with the effort of converting everything into 3D than anything.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Improbable Lobster posted:

They probably didn't include stuff like seasons so that they could get the game out sooner. The lack of features probably has more to do with the effort of converting everything into 3D than anything.

I figured seasons were left out mostly because certain areas have an all encompassing season over them (Route 14 being Autumn-like, Snowbelle being Winter). Not sure if B/W had this since I kinda skimmed over those games and dropped them quickly.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that Gamefreak really did not like the idea of releasing paid DLC for the games so that probably wasn't going to happen.

There's gotta be something coming on the DLC front. They already put Zygarde, who would make sense as a Pokemon Z exclusive legendary, into X and Y, so I don't think a Z version is coming. We've also got plenty of mysterious things in X and Y, including:

- The mysterious region we'll "see soon enough" and the Strange Souvenir.
- The people in Lumiose who mention rumors of the Heat Dome pokemon (Heatran).
- The so far unused race track above Route 22.
- The so far unused railway in Couriway Town.
- The Ghost Girl.
- The Scary House important enough to be mentioned on the map and for the main storyline to take you to, but all it has so far is a man who tells you a story about "a horde of faceless men" and asks for a tip, later saying "some things are better off not being known".
- The Anistar Sundial is said on the map to be rumored to have come from space, whereas an NPC says they heard it was created by ancient pokemon. Surely there's a greater purpose to it than just hunting for Mega Stones.
- Where is the unknown forest and the unknown mountain where Team Flare found Xerneas and Yveltal? Maybe these places hold special items that can be used to trigger alternate forms for these Pokemon?
- After beating Team Flare, the girl in the house where the man tells you the story about Xerneas/Yveltal says this: "I heard about the incident in Geosenge Town. They say that the strange group dressed in red managed to find Xerneas asleep somewhere. A few years back a different group of people came around here, asking the same questions." Who is this second group?
- Why can't we enter the doors that seemingly lead to alternate Power Plant facilities? Does this have to do with the future event Pokemon?
- The following message is hidden behind a timetable in Lumiose Station: "I'm going to go for help. Wait in the usual place." What does this mean?
- An NPC mentions that she has heard of a waterfall that flows backwards. Where's that?
- The Legendary Birds eventually flee to the Sea Spirit's Den. Lugia is connected both to the Legendary Birds and the sea. Coincidence?
- Personally, the Tower of Mastery seems too big and impressive considering how little a role it has in the game. Maybe DLC will expand its role?
- The stack of tires in Pokemon Village seems fairly suspicious to me; I don't think anything like that appears anywhere else, unlike the garbage bins. I could be reading too much into this one.
- I'm also certainly reading too much into this, but there's a graphical glitch in Lumiose that looks kind of like Missingo. It would be awesome if Gamefreak finally made it an official Pokemon (perhaps created due to a glitch in the computer system that stores spare Pokemon).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Now the question is, should a computer virus Pokemon be Poison/Steel to represent being a virulent, malignant substance, or Bug/Steel for the sake of punnery?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Hexmage-SA posted:

They already put Zygarde, who would make sense as a Pokemon Z exclusive legendary, into X and Y, so I don't think a Z version is coming.

Rayquaza was in Ruby and Sapphire.
Giratina was in Diamond and Pearl.
Kyurem was in Black and White.

But no, Zygarde being in X and Y obviously means there won't be a Z

e: And how are unused things in X and Y proof that there WON'T be a Z? The actual conclusion to derive from that is the exact opposite.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Hexmage-SA posted:

There's gotta be something coming on the DLC front. They already put Zygarde, who would make sense as a Pokemon Z exclusive legendary, into X and Y, so I don't think a Z version is coming.

Has there ever been a 3rd game cover legendary that couldn't be caught in the first 2 games that gen? Not to say you're wrong of course. Everyone was dead certain that the 3rd game in 5th gen would be Pokemon Grey.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Hexmage-SA posted:

- The stack of tires in Pokemon Village seems fairly suspicious to me; I don't think anything like that appears anywhere else, unlike the garbage bins. I could be reading too much into this one.
- I'm also certainly reading too much into this, but there's a graphical glitch in Lumiose that looks kind of like Missingo. It would be awesome if Gamefreak finally made it an official Pokemon (perhaps created due to a glitch in the computer system that stores spare Pokemon).

Am I reading the literal equivalent to Reptilian conspiracy theories for Pokemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hexmage-SA posted:

I was maybe with you on this up until this part.

But yeah, there are a few things that aren't addressed in this game. The next version(s) will probably cover them. There is a suspicious lack of endgame material, unless it's all unlocked by event items or something.

• Locked thread