Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Serifina posted:

What server are you guys on, and can people join it?

Taffer posted:

I feel like kind of a jerk for constantly linking this, but people keep asking, so.... Yes. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583789

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

I knew I saw something about it. I'll start when I get off work in the morning.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

What mod brings angular blocks?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I want to say its Carpenter.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I hope someone here can help me because I'm out of ideas. I'm fairly new to modded Minecraft multiplayer, so bear with me. I'm attempting to re-connect to a friend's server that I was on last night. The server address has not changed. Every time I attempt, it shows "Can't connect to server", then if I click on the server anyway I get "Connection refused: Connect". I've scoured the internet and all the help seems to be from the standpoint of this being a server that the user also hosts, which is not the problem in my case. I was running on it just fine last night with a couple other folks but I can't get in touch with them to see if they're having similar issues. I have fiddled with my firewall and router to allow port 25565 per the instructions I've found on dealing with this issue as the host of the server, so I'm not really sure if that helps in my case. I've also somehow ended up renaming my 2wire AT&T Uverse network to something completely different by resetting it.. not sure how that happened.

Now, if it matters, we're running Forge 1.6.4 with 8-10 different mods, but to my knowledge nothing has changed since we logged out last night. Also, this is a paid server hosted out of New York I believe, not one running at their home, so I wouldn't know if their power or internet was down or something. I have been trying since around 8:30 this morning, and it is around 1:30 now, so if there was maintenance or something I would have assumed it would be over by now.

Thanks in advance.

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

fondue posted:

What mod brings angular blocks?

Carpenters Blocks http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1790919-1516forge-carpenters-blocks-v195-slopes-stairs-and-more/

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Thanks!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

So I installed opis, works great, but I found something strange.

Top block is something from railcraft, apparently completely invisible, and is using over 30 times as much cpu time as the next highest block. What the hell is it and how do I get rid of it?

E: when I place any block in that location, it replaces the name in opis with the name of that block.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taffer posted:

So I installed opis, works great, but I found something strange.

Top block is something from railcraft, apparently completely invisible, and is using over 30 times as much cpu time as the next highest block. What the hell is it and how do I get rid of it?

E: when I place any block in that location, it replaces the name in opis with the name of that block.

CJ is an idiot and he basically uses a hidden block that would break nether portals and poo poo to check for tanks. All that lovely block does is check to see if a tank or whatever is happening. It's actually really annoying.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Can it be disabled?

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Anyone else find the ender IO conduits to be an extreme energy vampire? It almost doesn't even seem right, it eats up my elite energy cube in like 10 minutes without any machines running!

I'm using toast crunchy btw.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taffer posted:

Can it be disabled?

Nope!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
One more reason CJ is awful I guess :( I wish there was a proper replacement for railcraft.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Anyone else find the ender IO conduits to be an extreme energy vampire? It almost doesn't even seem right, it eats up my elite energy cube in like 10 minutes without any machines running!

I'm using toast crunchy btw.

Sounds like you have your energy going in a loop, when it enters a conduit there is loss and if it keeps going back in forth it will eventually drain all your power.

edit:

Falcon2001 posted:

One more reason CJ is awful I guess :( I wish there was a proper replacement for railcraft.

This is what I don't get. What are people even using railcraft for anymore. Tanks? because there are tons of alternatives now.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

axelsoar posted:

Sounds like you have your energy going in a loop, when it enters a conduit there is loss and if it keeps going back in forth it will eventually drain all your power.

I was kind of thinking the same, except it still does it when there is just 1 single conduit attached to the power cube.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

axelsoar posted:

This is what I don't get. What are people even using railcraft for anymore. Tanks? because there are tons of alternatives now.

Tanks, boilers, and engines. There are tank alternatives, but they aren't near as neat or compact. Boilers have no alternative, and RC has the most convenient earlygame engines.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Tanks, boilers, and engines. There are tank alternatives, but they aren't near as neat or compact. Boilers have no alternative, and RC has the most convenient earlygame engines.

Knowing the modpack you have, I think you could get rid of railcraft. Extra Utilities has fluid barrels which work about as well as tanks. 256 buckets in two blocks! MFR has biofuel generators which you can set up instead of boilers for your endgame fuel. Earlygame engines would have to be the BC engines. Unfortunately this means Fuel has much less use- only Combustion Engines would use it then, right? You could just yank out Buildcraft at that point and get rid of oil in general.

Of course, after Thermal Expansion comes out for 1.6, that throws all this out the window. The TE steam engine is just plain better than the Stirling Engine, and... there are magmatics too.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

Tanks:
Open Blocks. Best tank mod. (16 buckets in each block, just like RC, but is cheaper and less constrained- you can make saguaro-shaped tanks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCxjv9NozM

http://www.openperipheral.info/openblocks/

Engines for early game? - use Thermal Expansion.
http://thermalexpansion.wikispaces.com/

Boilers? Use Big Reactors.
http://www.big-reactors.com/

That should take care of all your needs in an elegant manner.

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 17, 2013

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Republicanus posted:

RC alternatives.

I have never used RC in packs that use it and have gotten along just fine. It is more trouble than it is worth imho.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Knowing the modpack you have, I think you could get rid of railcraft. Extra Utilities has fluid barrels which work about as well as tanks. 256 buckets in two blocks! MFR has biofuel generators which you can set up instead of boilers for your endgame fuel. Earlygame engines would have to be the BC engines. Unfortunately this means Fuel has much less use- only Combustion Engines would use it then, right? You could just yank out Buildcraft at that point and get rid of oil in general.

Of course, after Thermal Expansion comes out for 1.6, that throws all this out the window. The TE steam engine is just plain better than the Stirling Engine, and... there are magmatics too.

Drums are pretty limited in how they work, both in size as well as how they deal with inputs and outputs. Openblocks has tanks too but they're pretty bland and less compact than steel tanks from RC. Also yeah, at this point, to me BC's only use is oil and the pump. The stirling engine is really bad, the engine I was referring to was the hobbyist steam engine from RC.

Republicanus posted:

Engines for early game? - use Thermal Expansion.
http://thermalexpansion.wikispaces.com/

Boilers? Use Big Reactors.
http://www.big-reactors.com/

That should take care of all your needs in an elegant manner.

TE engines are good, though I generally still prefer the hobbyist engine.

I like big reactors, but it's still really unfinished, and I like the style and usability of boilers. Not to mention, BR isn't out for 1.6 yet.

In other news, I spent some time with Opis today, here's a general info dump for your viewing pleasure.

AE: I'm pretty sure AlgorithmX2 is some kind of code god, because the footprint that AE has on a server is absolutely infinitesimal in comparison to every other tech mod. The only block that uses any significant amount of cpu is the controller, and to even find the other AE things in a list I have to scroll down through hundreds of TE's before they show up. To give an idea of just how good it is, a powered ME drive that's full of cells that all have thousands of items in them, uses less power than a single idle cobblestone pipe from BC.

Which brings me to the next thing: BC is bad. Really, really, extremely loving bad. The amount of CPU pipes use when they're not even doing anything is mind boggling. A chunk with a hundred BC pipes in it will easily be using more CPU than a chunk with the entirety of someones base in it, assuming said person is not using BC pipes. Don't use BC pipes please.

EnderIO: Cool mod, not so cool CPU usage. Conduits and capacitors suck up a surprising amount of resources. Machines aren't too bad but they could stand to be better. I'd recommend finding alternatives to conduits when possible.

MFR: Pretty good, for what it's blocks are doing. About what you would expect. I found one errant harvester that was using a pretty large amount of CPU while disabled which is odd, but I didn't see a repeat of that problem anywhere else. Based on what I found, the biofuel generator uses the most CPU time.

Extra Utilities: Very good. It's pipes are extremely efficient, I recommend using them over BC/EIO when possible. We'll see how it compares to TE stuff when it finally gets released.

Railcraft: Once I fixed the stupid heatmap thing (it can be disabled, I found, after a little digging) it seems pretty average in terms of CPU usage. Nothing stands out as being very bad.

Thaumcraft: Mostly fine. It has a lot of active TE's but nothing seems problematic. I was expecting it to be worse than it was.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

Can it be disabled?

Block.hidden is a heat block left behind by players as the walk around. Anyone using the Trackman's Goggles can see these paths. It is an utterly useless feature with no practical purpose or even place in this mod, and breaks things... Constantly.

Thankfully, it can be disabled. Change the ID for block.hidden in the config to 0. This will remove all instances of it and prevent more from appearing in the future.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
This is kind of irritating. I'm on a Mac and I just realized that technic pack/launcher hasn't updated in like....7 or so releases. However, I don't know how to force it to update, since it doesn't try to do it automatically. Their forums aren't much help, and google seems to be rife with update failures, but nothing about starting it in the first place. How can I force it to update everything? It's stuck on minecraft 1.2.5, and the launcher doesn't even look like the latest version.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Taffer posted:

Boilers have no alternative, and RC has the most convenient earlygame engines.

Speaking of which, how's Weird Science coming, whoever was programming that? ;)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Jiro Kage posted:

This is kind of irritating. I'm on a Mac and I just realized that technic pack/launcher hasn't updated in like....7 or so releases. However, I don't know how to force it to update, since it doesn't try to do it automatically. Their forums aren't much help, and google seems to be rife with update failures, but nothing about starting it in the first place. How can I force it to update everything? It's stuck on minecraft 1.2.5, and the launcher doesn't even look like the latest version.

Go download the latest version of the launcher from the site? It's available for up to 1.6.x.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Serifina posted:

Go download the latest version of the launcher from the site? It's available for up to 1.6.x.

Ahh, I could have swore it had updated itself before in the past. I thought it updated minecraft also once it logged you in, but I guess that's a manual update also.

Edit: Appears I had to wipe everything, including minecraft. Hopefully my saves will carry over, but oh well.

Edit 2: VVV It did, and now I have the upside-down bug. At least I know how to fix that!

Jiro Kage fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 17, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Jiro Kage posted:

Ahh, I could have swore it had updated itself before in the past. I thought it updated minecraft also once it logged you in, but I guess that's a manual update also.

I'm pretty sure it should handle the Minecraft stuff, too? I'm not sure on that one.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Technic should update Minecraft to 1.5.2 because that is the version the mods support. You can manually update to 1.6 but then most (all?) of the mods will not work.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Skanky Burns posted:

Technic should update Minecraft to 1.5.2 because that is the version the mods support. You can manually update to 1.6 but then most (all?) of the mods will not work.

No, Technic has a version for 1.6.x, and there are packs for it that work just fine.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
The Technic platform supports 1.6.x, but the Minecraft version that ends up running depends on the pack. If the pack is designed for version 1.5.2 (Tekkit, for instance) then that is the version it will download and updating it manually to 1.6.x will likely cause problems.

EDIT: Checking the wiki, none of the major modpacks that come with Technic are higher than 1.5.2

Skanky Burns fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 17, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Skanky Burns posted:

The Technic platform supports 1.6.x, but the Minecraft version that ends up running depends on the pack. If the pack is designed for version 1.5.2 (Tekkit, for instance) then that is the version it will download and updating it manually to 1.6.x will likely cause problems.

EDIT: Checking the wiki, none of the major modpacks that come with Technic are higher than 1.5.2

Probably because they're waiting for Thermal Expansion before they upgrade.

Speaking of, it just went to open beta.

Thermal Expansion Twitter posted:

WHAT?!?!?!? Who leaked the TE beta??!??!?!? http://t.co/YiU7PoEA1w

But there some packs that are for 1.6.x. Probably private, but they do exist.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
So it begins.

http://teamcofh.com/index.php?page=downloads

Beta, but ID-stable.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yaaaaaayyyyyyy

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Right, so how do I run this? In this day and age of user streamlining, I'm lost if something I download doesn't have a .exe to do all the setup work for me.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alkydere posted:

Right, so how do I run this? In this day and age of user streamlining, I'm lost if something I download doesn't have a .exe to do all the setup work for me.

You... stick it in the /mods folder in a Minecraft install with Forge in it, like any other mod?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

m2pt5 posted:

You... stick it in the /mods folder in a Minecraft install with Forge in it, like any other mod?

I haven't actually modded anything by hand. I just use the big modpacks. I guess it's time to go hammer this out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

axelsoar posted:

A page ago, but honestly I like the extra rail stuff, I think that's the major thing that I can't replace, since Steve's Carts is like ten times worse when it comes to design.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Alkydere posted:

I haven't actually modded anything by hand. I just use the big modpacks. I guess it's time to go hammer this out.

It's a bit different now with the new launcher and so you might find a lot of information on how to do it the old way, but in brief:

1) Get an appropriate version of Forge from here (the 'Recommended-1.6.4' version should be fine). Download the 'installer' package and run that. Let it do a client install to the default location.
2) Start the launcher and create a new profile. In the profile settings, put a check by 'Game Directory' and specify a path where you want your modded version to live (I use something like "D:\Games\Minecraft\1.6.4 Modded\.minecraft"). Also go to the 'Use version:' list and select the one that looks like 'release 1.6.4-Forge9.somethingsomething').
3) Launch it once to make it create all the appropriate directories. You should see all the usual Forge info on the title screen.
4) Under that path you specified earlier, there should now be a 'mods' directory. Dump all the .zip and .jar files for mods you want into that directory. E.g., for Thermal Expansion you need to put two files in here: one for CoFHCore and one for Thermal Expansion itself.
5) Relaunch the game, and hopefully it works! If you're only playing with one or two mods to start with, you shouldn't need to worry about ID conflicts or such.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Of course the new te would come out when im stuck at work until 7.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Edit: <nevermind> - taffer covered showing the recipe in mod spotlights.

And this guy was pretty good http://www.youtube.com/user/quetzi74 (his later videos) but it looks like he doesn't do them anymore.

Also is factorization mod still a thing? Because wrath lamps are awesome but love to loving crash the server randomly way into the servers life. And then after a few reboots they are good. :iiam: Is there any replacement for a wrath lamp on 1.6?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

awesome!! thanks for keeping at this, its much appreciated!

• Locked thread