Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

But there are weed complexes! These spacemen know their priorities. :350:

Explains why they all look stoned than

Speaking of that, there is a food ration selling location in gushing spring...at 20% off....on the ruined part of the station....also the catans have the only ship dealer...what a backwards place for a back water space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That hacking thing can gently caress right off. Put me in a drone that's slower than my ship and can't boost and make me go to one spot within 50m to hack something and then the other spot is on a different station 28km away. Which is far enough away that the signal link will be lost.

:suicide:

Otherwise I'm having a decent time. No bugs have really hit me as far as vanishing ships or being unable to trade energy cells. That last one just took forever and really made me miss SETA as I watched my freighter slowboat all the way to the station.

Also the treatment of space like water is really annoying. I don't mind the slipstreaming on the highways because whatever but when the drone is getting dragged along by the capital ship I'm trying to hack and it's a bitch to even get within 50m in the first place then gently caress man.

Hacking.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

That hacking thing can gently caress right off. Put me in a drone that's slower than my ship and can't boost and make me go to one spot within 50m to hack something and then the other spot is on a different station 28km away. Which is far enough away that the signal link will be lost.

:suicide:

Otherwise I'm having a decent time. No bugs have really hit me as far as vanishing ships or being unable to trade energy cells. That last one just took forever and really made me miss SETA as I watched my freighter slowboat all the way to the station.

Also the treatment of space like water is really annoying. I don't mind the slipstreaming on the highways because whatever but when the drone is getting dragged along by the capital ship I'm trying to hack and it's a bitch to even get within 50m in the first place then gently caress man.

Hacking.

I am having trouble hacking at the moment with the first hacking mission. Sent a drone in to the station area that needs hacking, can the hacking menu is greyed out no matter how close I get. Am I doing something wrong? other than playing this game

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
For anyone getting hung up on the Energy Cells mission (getting the "There are too many trips planned for this ship" error), there was a post on the egosoft forums that had a solid fix:

quote:

If your freighter is stuck with "too many trips" save your game. Then open your savegame in

documents/egosoft/x rebirth/12345/save

Any editor will do. Once the file is opened search for shopping and delete those three trade orders which cause your ship to freeze. Save, quit, start X Rebirth, reload your game. Enjoy an empty trading queue.

P.S. To start trading you must issue a new trade order (just throught I'd mention this because some people forgot to do it). Works for all freighters including the one for the first e-cell mission. Enjoy!
Sorry if someone already posted this, but it helped me a ton and this thread is cruising right now. :shobon:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Spiteski posted:

I am having trouble hacking at the moment with the first hacking mission. Sent a drone in to the station area that needs hacking, can the hacking menu is greyed out no matter how close I get. Am I doing something wrong? other than playing this game

You need to rub up on the wall pretty much. Find the closest wall to it and just hit the wall. I think the hacking range is 50m.

Orv
May 4, 2011

They charged 50USD for Starpoint Gemini 2 and then sent out a PR hack to tell people 20fps is normal and expected. :pgi:

It's funny that you call this Starpoint Gemini 2 when the actual Starpoint Gemini 2 is a good game and $20 less.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

How do you scan the Energy Array?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

You need to rub up on the wall pretty much. Find the closest wall to it and just hit the wall. I think the hacking range is 50m.

drat, you were right it was 50m. I had to come from a different angle to get close enough.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Well, that's Rebirth uninstalled and Albion downloading.

I am not looking forward to getting my joystick set up how I like, but at least it will actually work properly in the end.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If there was something for me to do in X3 after I got my capital ship fleet all set up the way I like I'd never play anything else probably but as it is I get all the stations producing energy cells and ammo and a big gently caress off carrier with 60 OTAS fighters in there and then I have nothing to fight that can really pose any kind of strategic challenge or anything besides 'launch swarm nuclear missiles watch everything die send out fighters to clean up.'

It's also a bitch to find half the good mods anymore and I deleted my modpack when I heard X:R was coming out in a few days like a total dumb.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 17, 2013

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Taitale posted:

Well, that's Rebirth uninstalled and Albion downloading.

Yeah I actually just did the same, minus the uninstall. Just going to wait. It's been a while since I've played AP.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Moridin920 posted:

If there was something for me to do in X3 after I got my capital ship fleet all set up the way I like I'd never play anything else probably but as it is I get all the stations producing energy cells and ammo and a big gently caress off carrier with 60 OTAS fighters in there and then I have nothing to fight that can really pose any kind of strategic challenge or anything besides 'launch swarm nuclear missiles watch everything die send out fighters to clean up.'

It's also a bitch to find half the good mods anymore and I deleted my modpack when I heard X:R was coming out in a few days like a total dumb.

I kept a zip of some of the mods I used when I played X3:TC. This doesn't include everything, like the trading mods and some other stuff, but it's a good chunk of the mods I used. Regarding the beginning of your post: Phanon corp is a good add-on for your complaint. It builds a pretty large and defensive faction in one of the systems that builds up in power over time and it's pretty fun trying to take over it's system. It sends out hostile trading ships that are pretty beefy, and if you let them live, it builds upt he corporation even faster. So you can kind of keep it at bay if you are constantly hunting their trade ships. Marauder shipyard is especially awesome because it lets you trade 25 space weed to get a boost to your ships top speed, and it's repeatable.

mods: http://www.garfu.net/x3mods.zip

Garfu fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 17, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They charged 50USD for Starpoint Gemini 2 and then sent out a PR hack to tell people 20fps is normal and expected. :pgi:

Uh, Starpoint Gemini is from a different studio altogether.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Squiggle posted:

Yeah I actually just did the same, minus the uninstall. Just going to wait. It's been a while since I've played AP.

I will give it another go some time too, but since I had it on an SSD I needed the space for AP.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

anyone found out where you find cargo drones? does not fall under drone merchants some how

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SynthOrange posted:

Uh, Starpoint Gemini is from a different studio altogether.

I was making an it-is-a-bad-game-like-that-other-one joke, but apparently SG2 is real and not terrible. :negative:

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Pretty spot on review for the game encase anyone was still on the fence about buying it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUx96-6-dw

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, after doing the energy delivery mission, I decided to make some cash before continuing the storyline, I took the job "Cartel Boss Vulnerable".

It made a Heavy Sul in the sector hostile and told me to go kill him, I did one better, bought 10 recruit marines and 2 vet marines and boarded that bitch, only lost 1 vet marine, I promptly sold it as it was a fuel hauler, quick 12.7 Million cred pay out, and then 60k for the mission completion.

I think im set to continue the storyline now.

The game needs a lot of work but I find it accessable, which the other X games were not.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

Someguy posted:

Pretty spot on review for the game encase anyone was still on the fence about buying it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUx96-6-dw

They didn't even mention my biggest gripe which is no autosave. In a game like this that's almost criminal.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like that review was being a bit forgiven.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well now I want to play X3 again, thanks for the .zip.

Did they ever add all the missions to AP?

Deuterious posted:

They didn't even mention my biggest gripe which is no autosave. In a game like this that's almost criminal.

Honestly it's criminal for any game made after the year let's say 2010 (if we're being generous).

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Well now I want to play X3 again, thanks for the .zip.

Did they ever add all the missions to AP?

Yeah I decided to reinstall my old friend XRM, I also decided I will attempt a refund on X: rebirth, as the guy is right, it was a failed console game, and now a failed pc game, and now they are trying to port the fail game back to consoles

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really like the new ships in XRM. Especially the capitals.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

What are the big differences between TC and AP? Never really touched AP. Biggest question is does it make it any easier to be a pirate than TC did?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Someguy posted:

I'll be honest, XR being an attempt to salvage a failed console game actually makes sense.

There's also the fact that they "require" a 64-bit OS, but the executable is just a 32-bit one with LAA enabled. I don't even know how to read into that. LAA on 32-bit gives you 3 GB of effective address space, but 4 GB on a 64-bit system. What the hell were they doing that couldn't possibly work with just 3 GB, but 4 was just fine? Why did they overhaul huge parts of the engine(or so they claim), without addressing the 4 GB hard limit that's been plaguing them for ~6 years?

It's like some marketing hackjob from a 3rd tier clown business school saw a clearly failed, derelict project and got the bright idea to slap the X brand on it, give it a bit of polish and hope no one notices.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sedisp posted:

What are the big differences between TC and AP? Never really touched AP. Biggest question is does it make it any easier to be a pirate than TC did?

AP has a new plot (lol) but more importantly also features a bunch of nice usability additions, as well as some stuff like the (free money machine) stock market. If you have both then the only reason to play TC is if you're playing some mod that only works on TC and isn't going to get ported over to AP.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a reference handy but I'm fairly sure in one of the preview videos a developer outright said Rebirth was originally not developed as an X series game but a new IP, which didn't work at all so they branded it as X.

So the failed console port theory is actually pretty likely.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011
I haven't given up on X:R yet but I give it a good 6 months before the game will be alright. I can sort of see where they were going with some of their design decisions, but they executed them in really bizarre and ham fisted ways.

The thing is, I read the game is in development for 7 years, but I'm not seeing it. what did they do all that time? This game needed to be in development for another 5 months at least.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

DancingShade posted:

I don't have a reference handy but I'm fairly sure in one of the preview videos a developer outright said Rebirth was originally not developed as an X series game but a new IP, which didn't work at all so they branded it as X.

So the failed console port theory is actually pretty likely.

They mention something like that in this interview:

quote:

When we originally began development for X Rebirth, it was not our intention for the game to share the same fictional universe. However, we were very quick to conclude that the back-story that had developed through the prior X games was too great an asset to just give up.

As any developer will tell you, creating a fictional world, let alone a universe, is a difficult task requiring a lot of time and imagination.
So yeah, like someone suggested earlier, it sounds like they wanted to try something more Mass Effect-ish, discovered that it's kinda hard, and then shoehorned it back into an X game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did people actually ever want them to go into this kind of direction? As in remove the menus etc. It's been very clear that egosoft is incredibly bad at making up stories/characters/animations over the years, yet they still chose to go into that direction and just went with it, thinking this was going to be okay?

Also what is the point to explore stations when the inside looks horrible and is copy pasted anyways from everything else?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Did people actually ever want them to go into this kind of direction? As in remove the menus etc. It's been very clear that egosoft is incredibly bad at making up stories/characters/animations over the years, yet they still chose to go into that direction and just went with it, thinking this was going to be okay?

Also what is the point to explore stations when the inside looks horrible and is copy pasted anyways from everything else?

as it was stated it was not a X game, hell the station parts where probably made before for what ever reason they deiced it was going to be the next X game, makes sense from that point of view

well people wanted the menus to be easier to understand, to what I gathered. not easier for your joypad

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

With just two Titans you, too, can run the game at 60 FPS.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VDay posted:

AP has a new plot (lol) but more importantly also features a bunch of nice usability additions, as well as some stuff like the (free money machine) stock market. If you have both then the only reason to play TC is if you're playing some mod that only works on TC and isn't going to get ported over to AP.

Is AP worth picking up if I already played the poo poo out of TC? I play them mainly as a space pirate simulator and have never managed to climb the spectrum to the empire building parts.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sedisp posted:

Is AP worth picking up if I already played the poo poo out of TC? I play them mainly as a space pirate simulator and have never managed to climb the spectrum to the empire building parts.

AP is cool for empire building because it makes the grind way, way more bearable.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Sedisp posted:

Modded X3AP lets you play as Space Yakuza. That is all.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Modded X3AP lets you play as a Space Yakuza. That is all.

...No loving way.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Modded X3AP lets you play as Space Yakuza. That is all.

What mod? You can't just drop a bombshell like that and not give a source.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Is there a way to unbind the mouse from AP when running in Windowed mode?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I'm actually pretty bummed, because while I do like a lot of the stream-lined changes they made, the game seems to be in desperate need of a few optimization passes. The old games always felt like a chore after a while, and I can see myself having a lot of "casual" fun with this incarnation once they get the performance up a bit.

I guess I might go back and play some more modded AP in the mean time, feels like a waste though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fish Fry Andy posted:

With just two Titans you, too, can run the game at 60 FPS.

This is the most damning thing I've seen so far. Why write your own 3d engine when there are options out there that you could buy and have the game running at 60+fps on medium tier graphics cards? Oh, right, you're loving incompetent. Let's spend 7 years reinventing 3d graphics because that's going to make a great game. Oh, wait.

If you're John Carmack 7 years reinventing 3d graphics is a gamble (see also, Rage) if you're anyone else 7 years spent reinventing 3d graphics means someone is wasting money paying you.

Switched.on posted:

I'm actually pretty bummed, because while I do like a lot of the stream-lined changes they made, the game seems to be in desperate need of a few optimization passes. The old games always felt like a chore after a while, and I can see myself having a lot of "casual" fun with this incarnation once they get the performance up a bit.

I guess I might go back and play some more modded AP in the mean time, feels like a waste though.

Their PR hacks seem to think that 20fps is normal for PC games and that we should be happy with that. The dozen or so game breaking bugs, lovely UI and general awfulness of the rest of the game are "regrettable" -- and by the way, thanks for your money.

X3:Reunion was an awful game at launch and yet it was an order of magnitude more playable than this steaming pile.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 17, 2013

• Locked thread