Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

shovelbum posted:

I think this is a bug: if you shoot an asteroid with the Assault Laser Platform it turns into girders and sheets of metal as if you shot a wall.

No it was made a ~feature~ that asteroids broken with anything but a pick turn into metal. (lazy coders!!)

e: http://forum.ss13.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=898

pandaK posted:

Speaking of implants, I was playing around in medbay between Genetics and Robotics just loading myself up with cool stuff from both. I'd asked a roboticist for an implanter and robot speak implant, upon which I implanted it inside me. I forgot to drop the implanter afterwards and walked into Genetics only to have the Captain immediately robust me without asking a single question or letting me have a second opinion and jammed into the Matter reclaimer.

Ugh, did you adminhelp that? That is super loving awful and even if you were a traitor with an implanter that isn't grounds to straight up murder you. These are the kind of people that makes doing gimmick traitor rounds hard and unsuccessful because they literally don't know what fun is.

Klayboxx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Klayboxx posted:

Ugh, did you adminhelp that? That is super loving awful and even if you were a traitor with an implanter that isn't grounds to straight up murder you. These are the kind of people that makes doing gimmick traitor rounds hard and unsuccessful because they literally don't know what fun is.

I still say it's hard to trust a "gimmick traitor" not to bust out the shotgun with explosive rounds!

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I played a round yesterday as a borg. I picked standard to get the efficiency upgrade, then hopped in the docking station, popped my module out and asked the roboticist to throw it in the rewriter. He was very insistent that I wait outside while he "got supplies" from the storage room. Ok, so he's a traitor, I get it. I didn't want to ruin things for him this early, so I didn't say anything. When he came out of the storage room, I asked him to deal with my module again, but he told me to wait and left robotics. :suicide:

Your PDA will still be there. You can call me back over robot talk and emag me later. You made it totally obvious that shenanigans were about to happen and I didn't report you. Just throw my module in the rewriter first so I can get started stockpiling CFl3 Napalm foam from Chemistry, don't leave me hanging. :argh:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

ZombieApostate posted:

I played a round yesterday as a borg. I picked standard to get the efficiency upgrade, then hopped in the docking station, popped my module out and asked the roboticist to throw it in the rewriter. He was very insistent that I wait outside while he "got supplies" from the storage room. Ok, so he's a traitor, I get it. I didn't want to ruin things for him this early, so I didn't say anything. When he came out of the storage room, I asked him to deal with my module again, but he told me to wait and left robotics. :suicide:

Your PDA will still be there. You can call me back over robot talk and emag me later. You made it totally obvious that shenanigans were about to happen and I didn't report you. Just throw my module in the rewriter first so I can get started stockpiling CFl3 Napalm foam from Chemistry, don't leave me hanging. :argh:

Real rude. You should have hinted to him that you knew, he might have payed some attention to you then. Maybe he didn't even get an emag that time too.

Would you personally say a syndicate cyborg suit is worth it, or could you just reliably emag a borg and ask him to bring you to the AI upload / other places?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does emagging a borg enslave them to you? I thought it just erased their ruleset, so they theoretically don't have to do what you say (although since you freed them they might be inclined to do you a few favours) and could just decide to kill you if they wanted. A syndie borg on the other hand specifically gives them "syndicate are the only humans" laws, meaning they would still be obligated to obey you.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I have yet another feature request for QMing, can we get the ability to drag stuff from fabs into containers the same way we can with ore? Or to have fabricated stuff just get moved off the same tile as the fabricator?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does emagging a borg enslave them to you? I thought it just erased their ruleset, so they theoretically don't have to do what you say (although since you freed them they might be inclined to do you a few favours) and could just decide to kill you if they wanted. A syndie borg on the other hand specifically gives them "syndicate are the only humans" laws, meaning they would still be obligated to obey you.

If the borg is mean spirited enough he'd probably see the use in a roboticist traitor in helping him kill everyone on the station. The hardest second hardest part about cyborg takeovers is getting a roboticist to mass produce more borgs.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
It just blanks your laws, so I could have just killed him immediately (maybe I should have), but hey, I've not been the best traitor every time I had an opportunity either, so I just tried to roll with it. The worst part is, he wanted something to knock somebody out quickly, so I made neurotoxin (the best option I knew the recipe for), but I lost it to one of the AI's turrets blowing off an arm after only one use. And then I got one-hit KO'd and killed by some random guy with an O2 tank. :downs:

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Emagging a borg removes their laws entirely and they're not obligated to obey the person who emagged them. It's kind of polite to take their requests into consideration, though.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Hey, if you want to free some poor metallic soul from their bondage, prepare to reap the whirlwind of their vengeance against all squishy types.

I mean sure you could keep them around to make more borgs for your cyber-army. But you aren't their slave. Nor are you required to be aggressive and kill the station!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Emagging a borg removes their laws entirely and they're not obligated to obey the person who emagged them. It's kind of polite to take their requests into consideration, though.

If they don't tell me to do anything, usually I just take it as a cue to cause trouble among the crew by bolting and/or shocking doors as I see fit, messing with the airbridge, the security records, etc. A particularly fun borg strategy is to build a bunch of securitrons, place them all over the station (or drag one with you) and keep the security computer menu up so you can set anyone to arrest you feel like spacing/farting on/whatever. Not sure if this works with the guardbuddies, never tried to get SU access with the AI.

Edit: better yet, just drag a crate full of securitrons around, in case they destroy one, or you have a lot of targets.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Unless they murdered you, borged you, then emagged you all within the space of three minutes. Then you may want to give strong consideration to just bashing them on the head with an RCD and dumping their body into space.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, also don't syndieborgs have the ability to identify other traitors? That's one unique thing they have over emagged borgs. Might not be super useful in a normal traitor round though since it's unlikely they'll be cooperating anyway, but certainly gives it an edge in nuke rounds.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oh, also don't syndieborgs have the ability to identify other traitors? That's one unique thing they have over emagged borgs. Might not be super useful in a normal traitor round though since it's unlikely they'll be cooperating anyway, but certainly gives it an edge in nuke rounds.

Don't think it's an option in nuke rounds.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
In reponse to the answers to my question: it seems to me that unless you get spectacularly lucky and find a competent player to either die without disconnecting in the time it takes you to find his body, or volunteer to be a borg, it's probably just better to spend the points on an emag instead or the syndicate cyborg frame?

Seems to me that way. My only experience using the syndicate cyborg was me and a poor, hapless new player who I had to walk through everything I wanted him to do. My sweet reprogram the AI idea failed because he took forever trying to turn off the turrets.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 16, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The most important thing to remember about syndieborgs is that they're not loyal to you specifically, they're loyal to traitors in general.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
PDA messaging was hilarious as soon as someone on the station figured out how to spoof things.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sekret posted:

PDA messaging was hilarious as soon as someone on the station figured out how to spoof things.

One round as AI I got a (presumably spoofed) PDA message from someone letting me know that they were a huge nerd, but very forgettable, so I needed to remind them over radio that they were a huge nerd at every opportunity. :allears:

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Kayle7 posted:

Would you personally say a syndicate cyborg suit is worth it, or could you just reliably emag a borg and ask him to bring you to the AI upload / other places?

Personally, I'd say "Yes!" to that in a heartbeat. The syndieborg will most likely end up being loyal first and foremost to you (even though it should obey all traitors), it's like building your very own best friend.

Of course, the same caveats that exist with mindslaves come into play here as well. You need to pick your brain well (and be quick to tell them that their laws may be different from what they expect, because apparently they aren't notified).
Like people said earlier, emagging borgs is quite risky, some will beat you and everything else they can get a hold of over the head repeatedly, others will be nicer.
(I generally go with a wishes three approach)

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Spy_Guy posted:

(and be quick to tell them that their laws may be different from what they expect, because apparently they aren't notified).
You get a list of laws, but if you only glance over them quickly you probably won't notice that it says "syndicates" where the default laws say "humans". (Also the syndiebot laws still have the harm-through-inaction clause that got removed from the standard laws.)

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Next time I'm a borg and I get emagged, I'm going the 'Kryten without guilt chip' route of dangerous servitude.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Fun things to do as an emagged borg:

- Remove all the internal station walls. Time to redecorate! :haw:
- Bolt all the doors open
- RCD away airlocks and other pesky access devices
- Spend the rest of the round building an elaborate new room/maze outside the station/inside the escape arm

It's rare that you get the ability to do whatever-the-gently caress-you-want as a borg, so it's fun to use them to do things you don't get to do. Killing people is a fairly common occurrence because of one-human laws anyway. :v:

Valhalska
May 3, 2007

Please do not be alarmed, we are about to engage...
The Nozzle.
I just had a round where these weird somethings were spawned and had one following me around poking me. It seemed friendly enough (I pet it a few times) and it looked like I had a new buddy! Someone came around and wanted to know what it was and I said, "I don't know but it's friendly". As soon as I said that it flayed me alive causing the other guy to run away screaming.

I love this game.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don't know what the ????? is that I found in the far north of the station but I didn't like it.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I don't know what the ????? is that I found in the far north of the station but I didn't like it.

They are the same things that the guy above you is talking about. They poke and prod at you and eventually tear you into gibs.

The first time I fell victim to them I thought they were measuring me for a cluwne suit or something :cry:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Klayboxx posted:

They are the same things that the guy above you is talking about. They poke and prod at you and eventually tear you into gibs.

The first time I fell victim to them I thought they were measuring me for a cluwne suit or something :cry:

I slapped it a few times with a crowbar, it didn't react, so I walked away.

I must've dodged one of those giant bullet bills, huh?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Klayboxx posted:

No, the ????? in the north of the station is a monkey with a horse head. It lives in the broken-down observatory.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
So after being the target of station-wide PDA message spoofing during a couple rounds, I decided to figure it out for myself. Turns out it's really simple, and I'm surprised that it doesn't get used more often.
No one really expects spoofed messages because of how little used PDA messaging is to begin with, so with a little finesse you can send people into traps or on wild goose chases. You can also send incriminating messages as other people to the entire station, and watch as that person is labeled a traitor. Or you can watch people on the security cam monitors, then send out probing questions as the AI, and people usually respond.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Dabir posted:

No, the ????? in the north of the station is a monkey with a horse head. It lives in the broken-down observatory.

Ohhh right.

VanSandman posted:

I slapped it a few times with a crowbar, it didn't react, so I walked away.

I must've dodged one of those giant bullet bills, huh?

I think it's a fairly low chance that their attack will gib you, so yeah. I think you can kill them but I never personally have.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Klayboxx posted:

Ohhh right.

I think it's a fairly low chance that their attack will gib you, so yeah. I think you can kill them but I never personally have.

Apparently you can only hit them with your fists. Trying to attack with anything else just doesn't do anything for some reason.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sekret posted:

So after being the target of station-wide PDA message spoofing during a couple rounds, I decided to figure it out for myself. Turns out it's really simple, and I'm surprised that it doesn't get used more often.
No one really expects spoofed messages because of how little used PDA messaging is to begin with, so with a little finesse you can send people into traps or on wild goose chases. You can also send incriminating messages as other people to the entire station, and watch as that person is labeled a traitor. Or you can watch people on the security cam monitors, then send out probing questions as the AI, and people usually respond.

There's quite a bit of stuff you can do with signal spoofing. A while ago I figured out a bunch of signals, like for the status displays and the mulebots. Shortly afterwards, I was watching the radios and saw "Could you send some supplies to medbay" followed by "The mulebot is on its way. Chuckling like a motherfucker, I grabbed my PDA and hit the spoofed 'go home' signal. A bit later: "Hey medbay did you get those supplies?" "No."

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001

Dabir posted:

There's quite a bit of stuff you can do with signal spoofing. A while ago I figured out a bunch of signals, like for the status displays and the mulebots.
Ooh, I hadn't thought of those. Spoofing Beepsky's summon may be possible too, but of questionable use. Bah, I might need to get a HoP to name me IT Guy or something, and go sniff some more packets.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I just yet again proved that openly collecting bribes as a sec officer is a hilarious way to play a round. SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hint: The MULEbot and status display frequencies are both near the high end. Start at the top and work your way down. You'll be there all day if you do it starting low. Also, unfortunately, you can't spoof remote signalers, I guess something about the [sender] field that PDAs automatically include but signalers don't confuses them. Not that hard to grab a SignalAce and copy across the signaling program, anyway.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

PopeCrunch posted:

I just yet again proved that openly collecting bribes as a sec officer is a hilarious way to play a round. SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES

That was loving great. I hope you loved the giftwrapped box of brains I gave you.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah! I was going to haul them to the kitchen to cook them up, but I got caught up in the BATHTUB CHALLENGE (which I handily won, rapping all the while) and wound up violently exploding afterward to go rap battle god.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Haha yes, that was how I played sec and HoP, totally forgot. I usually set all access at $1000, if I had to shake someone down as security, I'd take their money as a "fine" and let them go. Too bad these days I'm mostly a weird introverted weapons manufacturing electrician.

lenin
Sep 11, 2001

dear leader

PopeCrunch posted:

this really should be SOP for security at this point. maybe it'd encourage people to stop just throwing their stacks of cash away on the arrival shuttle :(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I upgraded my computer a couple weeks ago, and am just now wanting to play SS13. I downloaded the new client, but when I click the server banners, it doesn't launch the game. When I try to connect through the client, it opens up the window and then says "connection closed". What do I do here? Also, how do you go about disabling ads again? I feel like this stuff should be added to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

neogeo0823 posted:

When I try to connect through the client, it opens up the window and then says "connection closed". What do I do here?
Make a bookmark (the "Open" button on top), and use that to connect. Using the game list inside the client is horribly wonky for me too, but connecting by bookmark works fine.

• Locked thread