Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
So, I promised a picture. Here we go:

I added in the new artwork for the main character that the artists did, and their animations for the skunk. I needed some extra assets to play with, so I made the ground tiles (I know they don't repeat well; must be fixed) and the recycle bin.

Here's a part of the world that hasn't had a visual touchup yet, and is still using older tiles. And we're drunk as hell.

TerraGoetia fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

TerraGoetia posted:

So, I promised a picture. Here we go:

I added in the new artwork for the main character that the artists did, and their animations for the skunk. I needed some extra assets to play with, so I made the ground tiles (I know they don't repeat well; must be fixed) and the recycle bin.

Here's a part of the world that hasn't had a visual touchup yet, and is still using older tiles. And we're drunk as hell.

Why am I not surprised that it's the Natty Boh man?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
yo here's a bunch of poo poo hiding inside bushes, my only regret is not demoing bushes inside bushes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzlbUbdi9M&hd=1

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Orzo posted:

yo here's a bunch of poo poo hiding inside bushes, my only regret is not demoing bushes inside bushes.

Yo, quick recommendation: The cool shapes emit by the torchlight; maybe you should rotate them around independently of each other (so just a random rotational speed for each one)? Would look a lot cooler than just static images, and would feel more like flickering light imo!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

That's a cool idea! We're looking for more creative ways to utilize the sprite-based lighting system. I will definitely try that.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

Orzo posted:

Tell me there's a chance of something comically large hiding in a bush at some point.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Orzo posted:

A recursive bush would have been really cool.

You could also have your player character pop out of the bush. That'd be pretty trippy: open a bush and all of a sudden you realize you were in the bush all along! Or let the character hide in a bush?

Sorry, I dunno what it is about hiding in bushes today, that's creepy.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

ATM Machine posted:

Tell me there's a chance of something comically large hiding in a bush at some point.

kayakyakr posted:

A recursive bush would have been really cool.

You could also have your player character pop out of the bush. That'd be pretty trippy: open a bush and all of a sudden you realize you were in the bush all along! Or let the character hide in a bush?

Sorry, I dunno what it is about hiding in bushes today, that's creepy.
A player. Inside a bush. Why did I not think of this, wtf.

here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cNyIfSJWk&hd=1

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Now this poo poo is really coming together

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Orzo posted:

here you go

This is kinda like the new super Mario game that's coming out for the Wii U where there's a power up to spawn multiple Marios - cool!

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard

Orzo posted:

here you go

Yesssss yes yes YESYESYES.

Game mechanics: Make a less dense bush you can hop into to avoid the gaze of most mobs not looking... you can move at 1/4 speed in the bush a la mgs AND THEN as a bush, hop into a regular static bush and the attack button shakes the bush.. luring mobs to you? Then dash attack out of the bush to do double dmg or explode or have 8 clone players dash out in every direction or something. Edit: dash out of bush to explode bush into 10 player clones DOUBLE EDIT: shake the bush like XXX Up Down Up combo then dash out to become a bug

Dishman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 13, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orzo posted:

here you go

Your game just went from "oh man that looks really cool" to "oh man that looks really fun"

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Orzo is doing great things. I love watching your videos!

Today I am working on the movement of the character. Seeing as our class runs at such a fast schedule, we have to have the game ready to send to reviewers in about two weeks.

I moved from a momentum-less (let go of button, stop moving) movement system to a momentum-driven (build up acceleration, skid a bit after letting go) one. Having a higher alcohol content ups the character's maximum speed, and does not decrease their deceleration factor. The effect is that they will slide a bit if they run at full speed while drunk.

I've also added in the ability to swim in water. Right now, it just looks like the character rising and sinking with a small gravity factor, and being able to run around in the water--we don't have a swim animation. But the functionality is there.

Next up on the agenda tonight is making wall jumping work. After that is done, I will need to playtest it a bit. The idea is that the two less realistic movements I'll have done (wall-jumping and double-jumping) will only unlock while the character has a certain drunkenness level. After all, normal people don't do such things, yet we feel like superconfident superheros when we're wasted.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
Well, I might as well post this since I have a hell of a lot of screenshots of it and, in my opinion, it looks pretty cool. Kind of cheating though, as I'm pretty much done working on it, but I was tweaking it a minute ago and thought of this thread. So, a while ago, I was playing with the shaders in PCSX2 and found "MMJ"'s "toon" shader, which was a very simple posterization effect (at least I think that's the term for what's going on...) and didn't really do anything but remove smooth transitions between colors. I thought "well, this isn't very good, I bet I could do better" and, uh, no, I could not. But I found someone else's simple edge detection shader, ported it to HLSL and combined it with the aforementioned "toon" shader. After a whoooole bunch of tweaking, I ended up with a pretty swanky, almost cel shaded effect. I ended up porting it to work with PCSX2, Dolphin and eventually SweetFX so I could just drop it into more or less any games' folder and have it work off the bat.

Here is a massive album containing a buttload of screenshots of it in a bunch of games (mostly Outlast and Monster Hunter 2/Tri though). It's also got a whole load of comparisons with and without the shader on.

Monster Hunter Tri

Dark Souls

vv Woah Mug that's REALLY neat.

dreamin of semen fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 14, 2013

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Spent the last two evenings making this happen.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Mug posted:

Niiiiice. Those kinds of details make such a huge difference.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Mug posted:

This is beautiful.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Thanks!

Here's how that section of the map looks in the map editor, all the tiles are flagged with room IDs to allow them to appear or change when they are hit by a "Room spawn!" sound pulse.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

switching between modes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4D_9nqy6OQ&hd=1

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev
I've been posting about this in the 'Making Games Megathread' for about a year but this is my first post here so here's an intro.

NeonXSZ (Neon Excesses) - Spaceship FPS with loot explosions, 650+ upgrades, 30+ ships to fly. Procedurally generated AI, ships, upgrades, and environments. 1000 little AI dudes from four factions buzzing around getting into fights and being general loot pinata for the player.

Here's a selection of pics that I made today to coincide with the latest update for the game. This is the first place I've posted them.

Video Screenshot (1 minute long) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzKm__1XGIs

Vankwish fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 15, 2013

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vankwish posted:

I've been posting about this in the 'Making Games Megathread' for about a year but this is my first post here so here's an intro.

NeonXSZ (Neon Excesses) - Spaceship FPS with loot explosions, 650+ upgrades, 30+ ships to fly. Procedurally generated AI, ships, upgrades, and environments. 1000 little AI dudes from four factions buzzing around getting into fights and being general loot pinata for the player.

Here's a selection of pics that I made today to coincide with the latest update for the game. This is the first place I've posted them.

Mmmmm those colors. AI faction dudes fighting around is right up my alley as well.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

KoRMaK posted:

Mmmmm those colors. AI faction dudes fighting around is right up my alley as well.

There's a demo available HERE for PC, Mac and Linux.
Suppose I should have posted that before.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Vankwish posted:

Hi! I found your Steam Greenlight for this game. I was at first concerned about the art style, since I can get in perceptual trouble with smooth shapes moving around an environment without consistent contrasting colors--I have to focus really hard or I don't "notice" things. I was really glad when watching your demo video to notice that enemy ships had health bars over them. This helps people like me consistently find things that otherwise would be invisible to me.

I gave you a yes vote, by the way.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

TerraGoetia posted:

Hi! I found your Steam Greenlight for this game. I was at first concerned about the art style, since I can get in perceptual trouble with smooth shapes moving around an environment without consistent contrasting colors--I have to focus really hard or I don't "notice" things. I was really glad when watching your demo video to notice that enemy ships had health bars over them. This helps people like me consistently find things that otherwise would be invisible to me.

I gave you a yes vote, by the way.

You would be even more pleased to know that the game allows you to customise how it looks. It currently has 6 different colour schemes so if one doesn't suit you then you can try another. You can also toggle enemy ships so that they are either like 'bright green with black lines' or 'black with green lines'. So if you can't see ships with one style you can with the opposite one. You also have full manual customization of the colour of your own ship and cockpit.

Try the demo. You don't need to install Desura. When you click the demo button there is a hyperlink 'download direct'. Click that to download the demo as a zip file. Simply extract to a folder and play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vankwish posted:

:stare: its Descent in the world of Tron 2.0

:drat: dude that is REALLY aesthetically pleasing. Looks like you're using some kind of depth of field blur? IDK looks amazing. :aaaaa: I really dig the smooth & high poly with minimalist textures look.

I assume those ship models are a work in progress? The grid looks like you're testing UVs or something.

Vankwish posted:

gimme gimme gimme gimme

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 15, 2013

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

Zaphod42 posted:

I assume those ship models are a work in progress? The grid looks like you're testing UVs or something.

Actually, the grid on the ships is deliberate. The original design had them all smooth and sleek and they didn't fit with the rest of the game's look. They looked just wrong. Completely low poly also looked wrong. So the grid actually isn't a texture it's modelled into them. The grid lines are cut into the model so that the ships appear to be made out of bevelled cube like pieces.

Try expanding the images to full size . Close up you will get a better idea. The first pic shows it quite well especially at the back of the ship. In motion light catches the modelling on the grid lines so it's more obvious.

As for the depth of field: it's created using Tilt Shift post process for distance along with a vignette post process to soften the edges of the screen. During play your eyes will be glued to the centre targetting reticle so it works really well during play. What needs to be in focus always is and the mouse wheel zooms to see distant objects.

Vankwish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 15, 2013

littlebirdy
Oct 31, 2013

Some permadeath multiplayer RPG thing I am working on.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

littlebirdy posted:

Some permadeath multiplayer RPG thing I am working on.

Got anymore screenshots of this? The art looks fantastic.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

This looks amazing, ironically I had voted for this on greenlight already without knowing it was a goon project.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 16, 2013

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Duuuuuude. This pretty much tickles my fancy in every single way. The graphics are amazing, it has gameplay akin to the games that I grew up on, everything down to the freakin' awesome cockpit is just great :allears:

Thumbs-up'd on Greenlight and I'm showing it to everyone I know who might like it right now.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

37th Chamber posted:

This looks amazing, ironically I had voted for this on greenlight already without knowing it was a goon project.

Buttstronaut posted:

Thumbs-up'd on Greenlight and I'm showing it to everyone I know who might like it right now.

Thanks for the support guys. Getting exposure for the game is now my biggest challenge so all the help I can get is really appreciated.
If you have a remote interest in the game I do suggest taking a look at the demo. It plays much better than it looks. I'm working on juicing up the visuals at the moment.

Humble request: if one or two of you do choose to buy the game can I ask that you do so by clicking through from the buy buttons on our website. http://www.neonxsz.com. We get a referal bonus if you do that, whereas if you go directly to Desura they take a larger cut which doesn't help continued development. Also if you buy now on Desura you will get a free Steam key when it gets on Steam.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
That looks great, I've added my vote on Greenlight. Have you considered VR support?

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

Rottbott posted:

That looks great, I've added my vote on Greenlight. Have you considered VR support?

Considered it yes, but I'd only add it for a bit of fun at a later date if time allowed, not as a genuine playable option. The game's interface has a lot of data that wouldn't suit the low resolutions currently offered by the Rift. It would require a complete rework of the user interface to work well and as you probably know, GUI stuff takes a huge ammount of time.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I have the same issue myself, I was thinking in terms of the final higher-resolution Rift if/when it appears. I imagine it would work really well with your 3D cockpits.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev
We'll have to wait and see how the whole VR thing pans out over time. It's not only the resolution that would be an issue but interface elements ending up in the periphery of your vision. I'm expecting that interface elements in VR games are going to need to be centralised to not feel weird to use. I do agree though that the game itself lends itself really well to the idea of VR and it would be something I'd love to do if it were feasible later.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
The all-important Cowcatcher Update

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Kind of boring, but I've always wanted to make one of those waveform visualizer things. This is with Three.js and the Web Audio API. I think this may be a good opportunity to learn about shaders as well.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
It's still Saturday on the west coast somewhere, right?

Oops, maybe I shouldn't leave the player control script on all characters...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ZombieApostate posted:

It's still Saturday on the west coast somewhere, right?

Oops, maybe I shouldn't leave the player control script on all characters...

Ooooh do the players get to fiddle with the control script? That would be great if the game was actually a battle of hockey AI rather than direct control.

Also the generic tube players are growing on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Heh, they're a little more interesting now that they can interact in a very basic fashion (that's not actually passing, that's a shot being intercepted :v:), but I'm still going to replace them when I can find an artist. It gets really hard to tell which direction they're facing if you don't have the puck. I could try to make something myself, but I'm a programmer and only have rudimentary modeling experience.

As for AI hockey, I had been thinking about letting you pick personalities for each guy, but it would be interesting to take that a step farther and let you write/edit the personalities themselves if you want. I always wonder why more games don't let you do that. I'm not quiet sure how that would work in Unity, though. I'll have to do some research.