Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Watched The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover last night, and holy poo poo that ending. :stare: If you like Old Boy you'll probably be a fan of this flick. The cinematography and sets were really beautiful--you could tell is was a stage, but I think that was intentional. The colors and lighting were just fantastic--dare I say, even better than lighting in Kubrick films. The whole thing kind of felt like a dream world, similar to Eyes Wide Shut. Music is great too and fits very well with the movie. Overall I liked this flick more than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXLRdeYFHss

The film is like one of those nightmares you wake up to after realizing how utterly bizarre it was.

It certainly has some of the best lighting I've seen in a film. I think the same cinematographer as Last Year at Marienbad, which is also full of incredible lighting and graceful camera movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like Grave Encounters 2 had some really really good ideas. It also had a really amazingly effective scene the hotel fakeout which might be one of my favorite horror scenes int he past few years. What hurts it is the REALLY slow start. The original had a slow burn too but this one just felt agonizingly long. The ending also felt really weird too. I understand what it was trying to do but it felt to poorly thought out.

It's not as good as the first, but that one scene in particular is probably the best part of bothe films. It's just smashed between a lot of bad.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

College Rockout posted:

I'm a big fan of drive and saw Only God Forgives was added to netflix. When I tried to watch it, though whenever the Thai people were speaking to each other there was no subtitles. Can somebody confirm if the lack of subtitles was intentional or if it's a error on Netflixs part?

There is absolutely a ~10 minute chunk toward the beginning where there are no subtitles for the Thai. I assume it's intentional.

ETA: well, this is annoying. If you have the English subs turned on, there's just nothing for the Thai - only the English is captioned. If you have the English captions turned off, then the Thai is captioned but not "hard encoded" into the picture on screen - it pops up as a closed caption in the normal caption font and color. This is on PS3.

Transistor Rhythm fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 17, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Europa Report and Robot & Frank were both excellent movies.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I have no idea how long it's been up on Netflix but I watched In Bruges last night. I didn't expect the ending to be as full on as it is but it was certainly one of the better movies I've seen recently

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
In Bruges is really great. I've heard people say that it's really dark-comedy, but that's just how a lot of British made film and television seems to me

I've never seen The X Files before I started watching it the other day and now I'm hooked. Poor Mulder.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Slap Shot was pretty great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm about halfway through Only God Forgives. I know it caught a lot of flack on release but I'm loving it, feels like a spiritual successor to Valhalla Rising, which is one of my favourite films of the last few years.
If you didn't like VH, I don't think you'll like OGF.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I enjoyed Dragon, a Donny Yen film that is like a wuxia version of A History Of Violence. Some really awesome action and decent drama. Some of the editing choices were a bit odd though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Transistor Rhythm posted:

There is absolutely a ~10 minute chunk toward the beginning where there are no subtitles for the Thai. I assume it's intentional.

ETA: well, this is annoying. If you have the English subs turned on, there's just nothing for the Thai - only the English is captioned. If you have the English captions turned off, then the Thai is captioned but not "hard encoded" into the picture on screen - it pops up as a closed caption in the normal caption font and color. This is on PS3.

Well that sucks, my old Roku doesn't support captions.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I finally got around to watching There Will Be Blood and got a totally different film than I was expecting thanks to what Netflix sorted it into (Critically Acclaimed Violent Action and Adventure I think). I was expecting something like No Country For Old Men rather than a slow burn character piece. I really enjoyed it though. A great two and a half hours of a relatively likeable and relatable guy turning into the most horrible piece of human scum.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gushing Granny posted:

I've never seen The X Files before I started watching it the other day and now I'm hooked. Poor Mulder.

It is good but man is there a lot to sift through. If you end up digging it a lot try out Fringe.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

weekly font posted:

It is good but man is there a lot to sift through. If you end up digging it a lot try out Fringe.

Yeah I think it's gonna be a "one episode per day" series for me, given its longevity. I did see the pilot of Fringe on BT's on demand service a year or two ago and enjoyed it. I'll probably get round to watching it through sometime.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

weekly font posted:

I actually would say watch Fringe first. Newer, and one of the things that annoys people the most about it is that in the first season it "tried too hard to be X-Files". Hey, if you haven't seen X-Files yet, then it won't mean much to you.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)
For all of you out there watching Trailer Park Boys, Netflix is missing a very important piece of the series. There is a one hour episode that came out a year after the show ended called "Say Goodnight To The a Bad Guys". It takes place a year after the final episode and sets up Countdown To Liquor Day. I think you can watch the whole episode in HD on YouTube.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hot Rod is the most rewatchable movie I've ever seen.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I watched Frances Ha last night, and really enjoyed it. There are some pretty cringeworthy moments, but I guess I should've expected that from Noah Baumbach. Greta Gerwig was very charming, even while being super awkward at times. I was nervous about the description, which basically says something like a young girl tries to make it as a dancer in New York, which really isn't the movie at all. It's more about a girl who so desperately tries to fit in, but just barely misses, and falls flat on her face quite a bit. The kind of person who has the So, through the course of the movie she has to learn to be comfortable with herself, and accept the direction her life is going.

Oh, and the Benji character was so adorable.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Room 237 had some pretty interesting details about Kubrick's The Shining mixed with a whole lot of people really grasping at strings to make their pet theories seem legitimate. Just know going in that you're probably not going to really buy a lot of the theories that are discussed in the movie, and I'd be willing to bet that many of them are theories that are only held by the people trying to explain them in the film.

My favorite part of the whole thing is when a guy is going on about how the movie is really about how Kubrick faked the Apollo 11 moon landing footage. He shows that the door key says "ROOM No 237" and points out that the capitalized letters are ROOMN, and that the only two words that can be spelled from those letters are "Moon" and "Room". Actually moron, there's another word that you can spell with those letters...

I still think the movie is worth watching even if you've never seen The Shining just to see how deliberately crafted the slow fade scene transitions are.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I'm gonna chime in on Europa Report. A really solid sci-fi horror flick that does found footage/faux-documentary right.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Room 237 convinced me that The Shining fans are pretty much movie versions of Sonic the Hedgehog fans.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So, the ability to see US netflix from Canada by changing the DNS codes in the System Settings on my Xbox has stopped working since the new app update. Does anyone know anyway around this without using a service like Unblock-US?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Room 237 convinced me that The Shining fans are pretty much movie versions of Sonic the Hedgehog fans.

This seems unnecessary and mean.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Dacap posted:

So, the ability to see US netflix from Canada by changing the DNS codes in the System Settings on my Xbox has stopped working since the new app update. Does anyone know anyway around this without using a service like Unblock-US?

I just put in some different DNS codes. You have to use new ones every now and then and they can be found on Youtube. I think different codes work in different territories but I've never had any issues.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm about halfway through Only God Forgives. I know it caught a lot of flack on release but I'm loving it, feels like a spiritual successor to Valhalla Rising, which is one of my favourite films of the last few years.
If you didn't like VH, I don't think you'll like OGF.

Just saw Only God Forgives today. I enjoyed Drive and Valhalla rising a lot, but this had neither the pace and characterization of the former, nor the mythical tones of the latter. There's a number of well directed scenes, and the production design is killer. But it was never more than a collection of parts for me. It would've been more interesting, I think, if it had cut out some of the surreal elements (especially the dreamy cross-cutting) in favor of a little more character arc to Gosling.

Gosling's character was so opaque even compared to the laughably terse role he played in Drive. Here his main motivation, an Oedipal complex is somehow both obvious and yet too obtuse in how it plays into the narrative. Especially his decision to spare the cop's daughter- that whole bit seemed like an excuse to get Gosling away from the action for the last third.

It sounds like Refn intended for the cop chief to be a manifestation of God, dealing Old Testament justice in a lawless world. But it was another grand motif that just didn't hit home for me.

Glad I saw it, but I really need to see Refn's pusher films now. Especially since they're on Netflix.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I only see the UK remake and part 3 of the original trilogy. Are the others going up soon or in a different region?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

A MIRACLE posted:

Hot Rod is the most rewatchable movie I've ever seen.

I watched this one not too long ago, because it got buried in my queue after I read a few good things about it on here. Dear god, I cannot disagree more with you. It was terrible. Don't get me wrong, I love stupid comedies, but every joke just falls flat in this one. The only thing remotely funny about it was the guy dancing around with the flyers, and that can be encapsulated in a 5 second GIF. I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed to say that I watched the whole thing, or proud to say that I persevered and watched every painfully unfunny minute of it.

It's a bad movie, and if you disagree then your opinions are bad too.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Hot rod is actually really good, sorry

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I watched this one not too long ago, because it got buried in my queue after I read a few good things about it on here. Dear god, I cannot disagree more with you. It was terrible. Don't get me wrong, I love stupid comedies, but every joke just falls flat in this one. The only thing remotely funny about it was the guy dancing around with the flyers, and that can be encapsulated in a 5 second GIF. I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed to say that I watched the whole thing, or proud to say that I persevered and watched every painfully unfunny minute of it.

It's a bad movie, and if you disagree then your opinions are bad too.

Yeah, Hot Rod owns. :colbert:

Obviously you:
1.) Were not high enough.
2.) Don't have a thing for Isla Fisher

Both of those go a long way toward cranking up the enjoyment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Yeah, Hot Rod owns. :colbert:

Obviously you:
1.) Were not high enough.
2.) Don't have a thing for Isla Fisher

Both of those go a long way toward cranking up the enjoyment.

Isla Fisher always looks like a bad copy of Amy Adams to me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Isla Fisher always looks like a bad copy of Amy Adams to me.

Amy Adams looks like the bad copy of Amy Adams.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Bung Harmer posted:

I only see the UK remake and part 3 of the original trilogy. Are the others going up soon or in a different region?

Oh bummer. I must've been looking at the British remake, didn't actually click on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

soapgish posted:

Amy Adams looks like the bad copy of Amy Adams.

How dare you speak of my lady love in such a way!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
If someone had never heard the expression "running a joke into the ground" before, watching Hot Rod would be sufficient for them to derive it ab initio.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If I have a Netflix account registered using an American IP and paid using American credit card and an American billing address and go to Germany or wherever, would I be accessing American Netflix or that country's Netflix?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm pretty sure it is dependent on whatever internet connection you have at the time. If you're in Germany, it's going to be their library.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bung Harmer posted:

I'm pretty sure it is dependent on whatever internet connection you have at the time. If you're in Germany, it's going to be their library.

I can confirm that this is the case.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

They added West of Memphis on the Canadian netflix, I've seen Paradise Lost 1 - 3 and it was still an interesting watch.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Croatoan posted:

Sorry if this is a repost but you guys should check out the German film Lore. I randomly clicked it Friday and I ended up watching it twice this weekend because it was so good.

This movie was incredible. I was shocked at how soft and gorgeous the imagery is and how despite that the tone of the film is just a constant punch in the gut. I would love for every war movie to be this gritty and realistic, and I doubt I'm going to see one so touching/brutal ever again. I'd recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Glad I saw it, but I really need to see Refn's pusher films now. Especially since they're on Netflix.

Oh my god yes. I've only seen the first one years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
If you are a fan of Steve Little absolutely check out Catechism Cataclysm. The movie is a mess and the ending is kindof a groaner but it has some pretty funny bits.

• Locked thread