Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sounds like yours had a poor. It should be fairly tight.

Yes it was really tight but due to the shape of the phone nothing is going to stop dust getting between the bezel and the case. As for the power button I find it a bit difficult to hit even case-less but I think a cutout would have worked far better than the covered button design of that case.

Not sure what revision mine was, but it was purchased in January 2013 so I guess an early one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

I got this one for my HTC One.

Fits perfectly across the whole actual "screen" area. I never "catch" my finger on an edge, and I don't notice ANY reduction in screen quality. If I didn't tell people I had a screen protector on there, they don't realize it's there, including my friend that also has a One, so is familiar with how the screen should look and feel.

Even me knowing it's there, I can barely see the line for the edge of the protecot on the top and bottom of the screen...and I can't see it at all on the edge, since it is drat near perfect as can be and goes right up to the bevel/raised edge.
Sorry, by "catch" I didn't mean the edges, I meant my finger doesn't slide across the plastic as easily as glass. I've been very anti-screen protector but if there's one that doesn't cause that weird moire effect or slow my finger down then I guess it doesn't really hurt. The ones for the Nexus 5 were on sale for $5 so I went ahead and ordered some. Worst case if I don't like them I can give them to my co-worker who also has a 5 and likes to put big stupid cases on his phone.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The diztronic fits my N5 perfectly and all the buttons are great. It's just so incredibly thin that I have to wonder if it actually offers any protection from falls. I'm not used to modern TPU cases for modern phones I guess.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've dropped my GNex onto a tile floor more than once from about chest height with the Diztronic case, and no damage.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Sorry, by "catch" I didn't mean the edges, I meant my finger doesn't slide across the plastic as easily as glass.

Ahh, I gotcha. Well...I can't lie and say it's exactly like glass, but I can say it IS better feeling than any other protector I've used/felt on someone else's phone.

Honestly, I used to feel like you about screen protectors until I found this brand.

I'll shut up now about screen protectors.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

anakha posted:

A common criticism of the latest Sony phones has been the quality of the screen relative to other flagships.
Must be some lovely calibration then, because Sony makes LCD panels since forever, so there should be some expertise. On top of that, I thought their newest small form displays for mobiles uses that new quantum dot stuff?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dissss posted:

Yes it was really tight but due to the shape of the phone nothing is going to stop dust getting between the bezel and the case. As for the power button I find it a bit difficult to hit even case-less but I think a cutout would have worked far better than the covered button design of that case.

Not sure what revision mine was, but it was purchased in January 2013 so I guess an early one.

Yeah, I had two Diztronic cases for my Galaxy Nexus, with the first not having button cutouts and me buying a second a month or two later when they updated it to have cutouts. The Nexus 4 one I got in ~May does have cutouts, which I agree is basically required. The lint/dust/whatever that gets under the lip of it is still a problem, though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Must be some lovely calibration then, because Sony makes LCD panels since forever, so there should be some expertise. On top of that, I thought their newest small form displays for mobiles uses that new quantum dot stuff?

Sony has been tricking out their smartphone displays with Bravia technology, however, despite all that, both the Z and Z1 seem to suffer from having poor viewing angles.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So apparently T-Mobile started offering Unlimited Data with their Simple Choice plan not too long ago, and it's only $20 more a month from what I'm currently paying. I'm wondering if it's wise to jump on the plan before it goes away... The Wi-Fi at my work is just awful and I like using the internet in my carpool.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
If you don't mind the bad viewing angles and relatively chunky hardware, the Z1 is debatably the best Android phone right now. Bigger battery and better camera than N5, better software than G2, better specs than One/S4/Motorolas. Plus it has a microsd slot, water/dust resistance, and a cool glass body. Sony is also good about unlocking bootloaders and has worked on AOSP builds for other Xperias.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Web Jew.0 posted:

If you don't mind the bad viewing angles and relatively chunky hardware, the Z1 is debatably the best Android phone right now. Bigger battery and better camera than N5, better software than G2, better specs than One/S4/Motorolas. Plus it has a microsd slot, water/dust resistance, and a cool glass body. Sony is also good about unlocking bootloaders and has worked on AOSP builds for other Xperias.

The best android phone is the one with the worst things you directly interact with?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Afaik the screen is awesome head-on but poo poo at other angles. My gf mentioned that's great for privacy and lots of ppl buy that kind of screen protector anyway, but that's obviously an edge case and not ideal for most ppl. Maybe it's an Asian thing.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 17, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Benjamin Black posted:

So apparently T-Mobile started offering Unlimited Data with their Simple Choice plan not too long ago, and it's only $20 more a month from what I'm currently paying. I'm wondering if it's wise to jump on the plan before it goes away... The Wi-Fi at my work is just awful and I like using the internet in my carpool.

I use 2-3GB a month, so I ended up going for the unlimited option. I dunno whether it'll go away any time soon (they seem pretty serious about the whole "uncarrier" thing right now), but I think it's worth having since apps are only going to continue to use more data as time goes on.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Going on a family unlimited minutes/text plan on T-Mo with everyone on unlimited data was ridiculously cheap, especially with the discount. I transitioned over my mom and dad to the plan I share with my wife, they were on AT&T so they just moved their phones over.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

When exactly did view angles become a thing that mattered?

Who is actually going to look at their phone from the extreme side?

My vision isn't the best in the world but I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about angles that aren't even how a phone is meant to be used. Though maybe this is like that 3D movie craze or something.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's not extreme angles which are the problem it's the fact the Sony phones suffer from massive drops in brightness even very slightly off center.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

My vision isn't the best in the world but I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about angles that aren't even how a phone is meant to be used. Though maybe this is like that 3D movie craze or something.

I'm pretty sure some reviews said it was poor enough to actually effect how they used their phones. Like they had to consciously keep the thing perfectly straight on or it would start to wash out.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ThermoPhysical posted:

I guess you've never showed a picture or video to someone else?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

If you're coming from another carrier I've always put it this way: if you get coverage where you are and where you'll be T-Mobile is fantastic. Great speeds, great prices, great customer service, great plans. You're just not going to get coverage everywhere you are and will be.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="421974187"]
I guess you've never showed a picture or video to someone else?

But then that fancy person dont need a fancy privacy screen protector!

EDIT

Update.
LG G2.

Its been almost a week. Still LOVE this phone. 100% stock, Default launcher. I've changed the wallpaper and ringtones. Thats it. And the ringtones im using built in ones.

We bought the flip cover things and the "Ghost" wireless chargers at verizon and myself and roommate could not be happier. 16 hours on battery (I'm at 80%, 16 hours 43 min with LTE on in LTE Market), 1 hour screen time, 1 hour phone calls, and all screen time was Awful or Facebook. I could EASILY get 2 solid days out of it. Screens amazing, its fast as poo poo.

People hating on this phone because of LGs software, pretty much can eat a bowl of baby dicks. The phones rock solid and its cheap as chips right now. Highly suggest it.

Cross posting that from the verizon thread. I actually dont mind the smaller buttons, I've hit VOL + instead of power all of one time. Phones super great.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Maxx supremacy

just kidding theyre both great phones

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been reading a thread on XDA about people grepping poo poo out of the kernel log, trying to find out the voltage and speed bins of their SoCs. A lot of them are mistaking the timestamp for some performance metric and are upset that they've "bad performance" for the high bin, compared to what other were posting.

That said, it seems like there's different voltage tables in the kernel for the various bins, so the higher your value is, the less power your SoC would draw.

--edit: Also, Nearby Places in the dialer search needs a kick in the nuts. Trying to get it to list the number of the mechanic on the other side of the road seems to be pretty impossible, even when trying to search for the exact name as in the Google+ listing, but instead I'm getting numbers from Switzerland of all things (I'm in Belgium).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 17, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My Hangouts upgraded to include SMS last night, and today I received a picture from my wife's iPhone with no problem. Pretty cool.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I wish Anandtech would just release their drat review of the N5 already. Those accidental battery times look too good to be true and I wonder how they did it.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

kensei posted:

My Hangouts upgraded to include SMS last night, and today I received a picture from my wife's iPhone with no problem. Pretty cool.

Just went back and checked a few texts where I wasn't receiving images. Images now show up just fine!

For the moment I'm very supportive of this. Haven't had any of the problems mentioned so far though, so we'll see.

Also, the Google search update plus Google experience launcher have made Google now much much smoother on my Verizon Gnex. It's actually reasonable to search now, and the voice works awesome straight from the home screen.

I may just be able to hang into this phone for a while yet.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ragaduffin posted:

Just went back and checked a few texts where I wasn't receiving images. Images now show up just fine!

For the moment I'm very supportive of this. Haven't had any of the problems mentioned so far though, so we'll see.

Also, the Google search update plus Google experience launcher have made Google now much much smoother on my Verizon Gnex. It's actually reasonable to search now, and the voice works awesome straight from the home screen.

I may just be able to hang into this phone for a while yet.

I got my MAXX for $99 and sold my GNex for $150 and have loved every moment of it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

hooah posted:

I've been using CyanogenMod for so long that I can't remember if what I'm looking for is even in stock - is there a way to prevent the phone from waking up when I unplug it?

I'm looking for the opposite. Never done custom flashing etc. I miss the auto-on from corded charging, now that I'm using Qi.

Is it a limitation built into trickle-charge protection stuff? Rather not press a button every time I pick it up, since it's typically to check messages or launch apps or change settings anyway.

e: not interested in rooting/flashing. just curious about missing some setting or explaining a change

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 17, 2013

Cooter Brown
Sep 24, 2004

Does anyone have a nexus 5 case that can comfortably fit an RFID card inside of it? If someone has first hand experience I'd surely appreciate it...especially if you know if the wireless charging still works :allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Soooooo ART seems to break the gently caress out of GPS on my Nexus 5. The phone is currently rooted with a settings.db fix to address tethering. With ART actual GPS is dead and the phone bounces around trying to lock on aGPS. Switch to Dalvik, reboot and BAM instant GPS lock with 10+ satellites. Switch back to ART, back to aGPS bouncing.

I really really doubt the settings.db line item I added is loving with ART and GPS but I don't have much on the phone right now and am going to try and flash the factory image and try GPS on ART again. A few of my nerd buddies with N5's aren't having the issue. Can anyone here confirm?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Soooooo ART seems to break the gently caress out of GPS on my Nexus 5. The phone is currently rooted with a settings.db fix to address tethering. With ART actual GPS is dead and the phone bounces around trying to lock on aGPS. Switch to Dalvik, reboot and BAM instant GPS lock with 10+ satellites. Switch back to ART, back to aGPS bouncing.

I really really doubt the settings.db line item I added is loving with ART and GPS but I don't have much on the phone right now and am going to try and flash the factory image and try GPS on ART again. A few of my nerd buddies with N5's aren't having the issue. Can anyone here confirm?

I can confirm that ART is experimental at this point and caused odd problems for me. I don't think it's expected to be usable for daily use yet and was in the ROM as a developer option.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kafka Esq. posted:

I wish Anandtech would just release their drat review of the N5 already. Those accidental battery times look too good to be true and I wonder how they did it.

I've seen a few tests now which use standard battery tests and the numbers pretty much look like those of the HTC One, maybe a bit better depending on the task. Not great, not worrisome, just plain average. It draws more power on average (especially when idling) than a LG G2 or Samsung Note 3 with a smaller battery in basically every task except full load/full brightness.
For example the test at Notebookcheck.com (no English translation yet unfortunately) puts the N4 at 8h, the S4 at 8h, the HTC One at 10h, the Note 3 at 18h and the G2 at 17h in their "load a website every 40 seconds at 150 cd/m2 screen brightness (a bit low for reality for my taste). The N5 manages 12h.

The most disappointing thing for me in the linked test are the decidedly average flash storage performance numbers. Average for last year, that is.

Decius fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 17, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Powers posted:

I can confirm that ART is experimental at this point and caused odd problems for me. I don't think it's expected to be usable for daily use yet and was in the ROM as a developer option.

Which is what I'm thinking as well, just curious if the problem was common with ART.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I just checked using GPS Test and I got a lock fine. N4, stock rooted KitKat.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So my Nexus 4 arrived off swappa and hoooooooly poo poo, this thing blows my old phone out of the loving water. The only problem is the battery life, and that's probably more to do with how the 4's screen is bigger than the entirety of my old phone. Honestly, my plan was to buy this then flip it in 3 months for a nexus 5, but I may just stick with this one until next november.

I was worried about T-mobile at first since their coverage in Delaware is supposedly worth fuckall, but even their goddamn EDGE service is faster than virgin was.

Minor complaint: trying to unlock the bootloader in windows is a loving pain in the goddamn rear end. I'll just wait for 4.4 to get pushed to it, I'm not that desperate for KitKat to be on my phone immediately.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Which is what I'm thinking as well, just curious if the problem was common with ART.
I have my 5 switched to ART and GPS works fine. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I don't have too much stuff on my phone.

mr. stefan posted:

Minor complaint: trying to unlock the bootloader in windows is a loving pain in the goddamn rear end. I'll just wait for 4.4 to get pushed to it, I'm not that desperate for KitKat to be on my phone immediately.
You can download the OTA and sideload it without being unlocked.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mr. stefan posted:

Post in the root thread if you want some help, it should be a fairly trivial exercise.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Im using ART and I can't get a lock on with the GPS Status and Toolbox app I've used in the past, but GPS test works fine.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Decius posted:

I've seen a few tests now which use standard battery tests and the numbers pretty much look like those of the HTC One, maybe a bit better depending on the task. Not great, not worrisome, just plain average. It draws more power on average (especially when idling) than a LG G2 or Samsung Note 3 with a smaller battery in basically every task except full load/full brightness.
For example the test at Notebookcheck.com (no English translation yet unfortunately) puts the N4 at 8h, the S4 at 8h, the HTC One at 10h, the Note 3 at 18h and the G2 at 17h in their "load a website every 40 seconds at 150 cd/m2 screen brightness (a bit low for reality for my taste). The N5 manages 12h.

The most disappointing thing for me in the linked test are the decidedly average flash storage performance numbers. Average for last year, that is.
That's probably the best test for someone like me. I usually use my phone for keeping on top of twitter, news and other browsing, not games, camera or social media.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Decius posted:

Yeah, dude. I love my phone but I really feel like the speed at which it can write things to storage is holding me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Is anyone having an issue with Share going straight to Hangouts instead of giving you a selection of apps? This keeps happening when I want to share something from G+ Photos or Youtube. This is on the Nexus 5.

Cooter Brown posted:

Does anyone have a nexus 5 case that can comfortably fit an RFID card inside of it? If someone has first hand experience I'd surely appreciate it...especially if you know if the wireless charging still works :allears:

Take a look at the case wallets, that's probably you're best option.

• Locked thread