Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The continental US is actually larger on the Gall-Peters projection than on the Mercator projection. No one cares about Alaska, but it may still be true if you include it (looks close)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

esquilax posted:

The continental US is actually larger on the Gall-Peters projection than on the Mercator projection. No one cares about Alaska, but it may still be true if you include it (looks close)

They are both lovely projections, use something else, preferably a globe

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Whenever I see people act like Mercator and Peters are the only world map projections out there, my blood boils a little.

I said it before... screw that West Wing scene.

My favorite 2d world maps are Plate Carrée and Mollweide. On a thematic level I like Eckert III too.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Farecoal posted:

They are both lovely projections, use something else, preferably a globe

Or at least a compromise projection. Some of those are pretty decent.

I never really understood what the appeal of Gall-Peters was supposed to be, beyond feeling superior to people who used Mercator. At least Mercator has some practical properties relating to navigation and rhumb lines.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We've already gone over this, Dymaxion all the way.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
They're also both pretty ugly-looking, although I do like how Antarctica looks on the Mercator projection. It's like a giant claw that threatens to envelop the rest of the planet.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Map projections are lame and there's no great conspiracy for Mercator to impose importance of some countries over others.

I don't think I've seen the NFL coverage maps in this thread yet. They post them every week in the football subforum.

Fox 11/17/2013 1:00 PM

http://506sports.com/nfl/

If you want a reason to call it political, you can see where the NFL blacks out the games on TV. If the game isn't sold out 72 hours in advance of starting, the game is blacked out within 75 miles of that city. This is the strictest blackout policy in sports.

Here is a long wikipedia article explaining it in detail.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Blood type was a big thing like phrenology. It is an early 20th/late 19th century pseudo-science and the Japanese latched onto it hardcore during the Meiji. It is a form of scientific racism.

Edit: Holy gently caress, I was wrong. It is a form of scientific racism that the Japanese latched onto hardcore in the 1970s. That is even worse.

It's my understanding that some fool came up with it in the early 20th century for Taiwan (which the empire colonized), and then later in the 1970s once everyone had forgotten the whole racism thing it got its current astrology-esque meanings, for all our anime characters.

Gotō Shinpei, imperial administrator posted:

In this era of scientific progress, the basic principle of colonization has to be built on biology. Then, what is the basis of biology? It is to encourage a scientific way of living, from which are derived the systems of industrial production, hygiene, transportation, and law enforcement. It is also to realize the principle of survival of the fittest in this competitive world.

Science, right?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

GreenCard78 posted:

Map projections are lame and there's no great conspiracy for Mercator to impose importance of some countries over others.

A. No they aren't, why are you in this thread and B. Nobody is saying its a "conspiracy"

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Farecoal posted:

A. No they aren't, why are you in this thread and B. Nobody is saying its a "conspiracy"

Click the ? under my username and scroll back. You'll find me talking about them and from those points find other people having discussed them, too.

Regarding the word "conspiracy" congrats on finding your first hyperbole posted on the internet.

Have a map:

Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) is a good Mercator cylindrical projection system when you only want to display one region. It's not shown but this would be UTM(number)N. Use UTM17N when you need UTM17S and you'll be all sorts of hosed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GreenCard78 posted:

Regarding the word "conspiracy" congrats on finding your first hyperbole posted on the internet.
Usually hyperbole is the use of exaggeration to emphasize a characteristic, not outright make one up.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Usually hyperbole is the use of exaggeration to emphasize a characteristic, not outright make one up.

Expanding on this

Donkwich posted:

I really don't get those who actually take the Mercator-is-racist argument seriously. I seriously doubt that the reason the First World doesn't care about Africa is because it looks smaller on a map, and switching to the Gall-Peters isn't going to change that. I know SJW is a cliche, but taking 'cartographic imperialism' seriously seems a bit of a stretch.

e: Also I really don't need to see that West Wing clip again. I'd rather move to Greenland, the most important country in the world.

Because of this (and anything else through the last 140 pages)

cheerfullydrab posted:

To bring things back to maps, here's a classic.

In real life:
1. Kenya is larger than France
2. Zimbabwe is larger than Germany
3. Cameroon is larger than Sweden
4. Cote D Ivoire is larger than Poland
5. The Central African Republic is larger than Ukraine
6. Guinea-Bissau is larger than Moldova

But hey, focus on some words rather than posting any maps.

Have a map pair:

Using Bivariate Local Moran's I to determine if two variables are related to each other. In this case, vacant housing rate and incarceration rate.

Light green is statistically significant to p < .05 and dark green to p < 0.01. Nothing got to the the next threshold p < 0.001

Dark red is high incarceration rates, high vacant rates
Light red is high incarceration rates, low vacant rates
Light blue is low incarceration, high vacant rates
Dark blue is low incarceration rates, low vacant rates

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

:911: Just as God intended

Peruser fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 17, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GreenCard78 posted:

Expanding on this

Because of this (and anything else through the last 140 pages)
Okay, I don't see any mention of conspiracy there either, just someone who doesn't think maps are as important as some Mercator-haters do. And even if it did mention a conspiracy, that would just mean you were going along with a mischaracterization of the argument, not exaggerating one for effect.

GreenCard78 posted:

But hey, focus on some words rather than posting any maps.
Usually when people write something it's to communicate an idea, so I don't see why you would be surprised that people respond to it?

As for the actual discussion of fair maps, maybe we should make them fair for people, not the territory they live in?

:v:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

GreenCard78 posted:

I don't think I've seen the NFL coverage maps in this thread yet. They post them every week in the football subforum.

Fox 11/17/2013 1:00 PM

http://506sports.com/nfl/

If you want a reason to call it political, you can see where the NFL blacks out the games on TV. If the game isn't sold out 72 hours in advance of starting, the game is blacked out within 75 miles of that city. This is the strictest blackout policy in sports.

Here is a long wikipedia article explaining it in detail.

But why are they blacking out HOU/CIN/CHI/BUF when the Texans/Bengals/Bears/Bills aren't even playing at that time? Are they playing later?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's just silly, I've never heard anyone call the Super Bowl a 'world championship'. It's a national championship of the United States.

There have been four American Football world championships so far, hosted in Italy, Germany, Japan and Austria. The fifth one will be in Sweden.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

"WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIPS
America: 100+
Canada: 1
Everyone else: 0" would be a better map.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The only major use I see of the Mercator projection is in Google Maps, where it's used for a very important reason, to preserve the angles and compass directions of a local region so it can be used for navigation. Any attachment to the Mercator would probably be more out of habit from growing up with it rather than out of a sense of size entitlement.

That doesn't stop people saying this (to be fair, this is Tumblr):

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

But why are they blacking out HOU/CIN/CHI/BUF when the Texans/Bengals/Bears/Bills aren't even playing at that time? Are they playing later?

These actually aren't the low-attendance blackouts; there's a different rule that when a team plays in a sold out game with local coverage, other local TV stations can't show NFL games (with some exceptions, since whatever network only gets one game that week is always allowed to show something). Consequently, in that map, Fox can't show any early games in the Houston, Chicago, Cincinnati and Buffalo markets (and on the Fox late map further down the source page the Miami market is blocked).

Basically, putting the NFL on TV is hard.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Poor Alaska, they don't even get to be part of the US for football purposes.

Although they do play God's Sport a.k.a hockey. Here's a map of NCAA Division I ice hockey teams, most of which are in places you'd expect with the somewhat bizarre exception of Alabama.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
The only place I've really seen Mercator recently is Google Maps, and they actually have a good reason for it.

If you're navigating on Google Maps, you're probably not navigating long enough distances for it to matter whether Greenland is too big, but you would like two things to be true:
  • Angles should be the same as they are on the globe. You don't want to end up flattening out a curve or making it seem like east-west distances are significantly longer than north-south ones when they are the same.
  • North should ideally point up. This is what people are used to.
But the only map projection that does both is the Mercator, modulo the caveat that if you want North to point up you cannot display the poles properly.

If you look at the Gall-Peters zoomed in near the equator, you'll see that N-S distances are expanded and E-W ones contracted. This will make the shortest navigation path look wrong, as well as distorting local features in map mode. If you look near enough the poles, the contraction and expansion will go in the opposite way. This is far worse if your goal is navigation.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Alabamans won't pass up the chance to slap a black thing around.

Have Gini coefficient maps been posted yet?

The Gini coefficient measures inequality among a data set by measuring how off the data is from a hypothetical set of perfect equality. The higher the inequality, the greater the coefficient. This map illustrates the Gini coefficients of the incomes of countries using 1989-2009 data.

The Gini coefficients for wealth is even more exascerbated, the US in particular being the 5th most unequal country for wealth distribution.

e: And here are the Gini coefficients of US counties.

Donkwich fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 18, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You should be able to guess this one, but:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Donkwich posted:

The Gini coefficients for wealth is even more exascerbated, the US in particular being the 5th most unequal country for wealth distribution.

And apparently Japan is the most equal, immediately followed by China. :japan::hf::china:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Here's a map of the least whiny sport of those being called "football" somewhere on the globe.

Yes, the US have already won the FIFA Women's World Cup twice, so there is no reason to hide behind that confusing commercial-break-padded-shoulders-thing which is American football.

To underline the intensity of women's soccer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0E94uYu_5k

To prove that women are able to play soccer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0L0WIK2Ync

edit: The map is out of date because Japan are the current champions.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 18, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's just silly, I've never heard anyone call the Super Bowl a 'world championship'. It's a national championship of the United States.

Jesus

:thejoke:

http://mapfight.appspot.com/

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 18, 2013

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

ecureuilmatrix posted:

They're not blacked out, it was a bad explanation. Sunday games are split between two networks, with two time slots, early and late. Each network gets an early game, and one network airs a late game nationally. However, when the opposing network is airing a home game to a market, the networks air rights go to the late game. This prevents a home team from competing with another game going on.

Houston, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Buffalo all had early games on CBS, so fox affiliates have no broadcast rights in those markets and this are airing nothing in the early slot.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Faber posted:

To underline the intensity of women's soccer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0E94uYu_5k

I am friends with someone who played on the New Mexico women's soccer team.

She is very intimidating.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ratings for "Duck Dynasty" season premiere in August, by media market. 52% of households (who were watching TV, I assume?) in the Lake Charles, Louisiana market tuned in, but San Francisco wasn't watching.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

International river basins:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

roseo posted:

They're not blacked out, it was a bad explanation. Sunday games are split between two networks, with two time slots, early and late. Each network gets an early game, and one network airs a late game nationally. However, when the opposing network is airing a home game to a market, the networks air rights go to the late game. This prevents a home team from competing with another game going on.

Houston, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Buffalo all had early games on CBS, so fox affiliates have no broadcast rights in those markets and this are airing nothing in the early slot.

Dear gentlegoons, your humble servant, much indebted, grateful, etc. :tipshat:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Donkwich posted:

e: And here are the Gini coefficients of US counties.

So what I'm getting from this is that rural Utah is the best place in the US to live.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that rural Utah is the best place in the US to live.

If relative income equality is your only criterion then yes. The sparsely populated Rocky Mountains counties tend of have small Gini coefficients because those communities tend to be economically homogenous. The Gini coefficient doesn't handle small populations well, and there are some controversies as to the coefficient's usefulness. Still, it makes sense that the deep south and major cities have a high Gini.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

computer parts posted:

It's not that hard to have high income equality when there is only one person in the county.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Ratings for "Duck Dynasty" season premiere in August, by media market. 52% of households (who were watching TV, I assume?) in the Lake Charles, Louisiana market tuned in, but San Francisco wasn't watching.

Where is this from? I'd love to see similar maps for other shows.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mu Cow posted:

Where is this from? I'd love to see similar maps for other shows.

WaPo column cites "National Media, a Republican ad-buying firm" as the originator.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Why are media markets divided up like this? Why does Oregon look like the Holy Roman Empire while the areas surrounding New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc are so big?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

Why are media markets divided up like this? Why does Oregon look like the Holy Roman Empire while the areas surrounding New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc are so big?

Random guess, but mountains are probably a big part of it.

Actually that probably wouldn't make sense given that some TV markets cross the cascades but it's probably related to distance at least a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Here's the MLB blackout map.

The moral of the story is god help you if you want to watch Baseball in Iowa or Las Vegas.