Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

So other than the obvious reason of fighting robo-T-rex, why did they bring the dinos into STO?

I would assume it's because they've burnt out on Klingons, Romulans, Dominion, Borg, and Species 8472, so they need another villain to pad things out until they decide to hang it up and have the Iconians as the final bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DemeaninDemon posted:

So other than the obvious reason of fighting robo-T-rex, why did they bring the dinos into STO?

The playerbase voted that the devs should make the next update in the Delta Quadrant so they randomly picked the Voth as the mob to fight there. The Voth breed genetically enhanced Dino's as their ground troops.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Thom12255 posted:

The playerbase voted that the devs should make the next update in the Delta Quadrant so they randomly picked the Voth as the mob to fight there. The Voth breed genetically enhanced Dino's as their ground troops.

drat I wanted some wacky techno babble. It's been ages since I fired up that game...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wild Wild West

Story by Jim Thomas & John Thomas
Screenplay by SS Wilson & Brent Maddock and Jeffrey Price & Peter S. Seaman

I don't know if you are agreeing with them or not but I legitimately love Wild Wild West, even if anything negative anyone says about it is 100% true. :bahgawd:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I don't know if you are agreeing with them or not but I legitimately love Wild Wild West, even if anything negative anyone says about it is 100% true. :bahgawd:

Agreed. I watch it every time it's on TV.

Same goes for Batman and Robin :unsmigghh:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Tighclops posted:

Wow they're really catering to their core demos with that game these days

Dude, some enemy ships have Aceton assimilators (those things from Booby Trap). If you shoot them with phasers, they drain your power systems and fart out radiation so you can only destroy them with torpedoes. I think STO is a bad game but the attention to detail in its fanservice is impressive.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gau posted:

You'll be really thrilled with the one after that. It's a fan favorite!

Oh, and the episode after that introduces a race that everybody loves!

I got confused and thought you had said the race shows up in Episode 3. This episode is...uhhh.. Wow.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, just one thought on recently re-seeing Genesis from TNG (where everybody "de-evolved"; bleh, the things that does to my brain as somebody trained in the science of genetics...). When Picard gets freaked out by spider-Barclay Data diagnoses it as him starting to devolve into a lemur; while the thought of lemur-Picard is amusing, isn't the more obvious response "You're scared after being startled by a hideous spider-monster? NO loving poo poo, CAPTAIN!!!"? Really, you'd think Data and Picard would know Occam's Razor.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah the Ferengi sure do have some awesome energy dildos!

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Ha ha, I just watched DS9 episode The Visitor - the one with Old Jake Sisko. It's a great :unsmith: episode but it was pretty funny how they used a tall, well-built older actor for Jake, but then just put a little bit more make-up on the same little guy for Nog.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Shoehead posted:

Woah the Ferengi sure do have some awesome energy dildos!

In all seriousness, your next episode (Where No One Has Gone Before) is pretty good. It's a high point of Season 1.

The vapid space perverts return in like, four episodes.

(Whoever told you to watch TNG in order doesn't like you very much.)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gau posted:

In all seriousness, your next episode (Where No One Has Gone Before) is pretty good. It's a high point of Season 1.

The vapid space perverts return in like, four episodes.

(Whoever told you to watch TNG in order doesn't like you very much.)

Me, it was me. And I guess I must not. I want to watch it all, good and bad. That last one had me rolling my eyes pretty hard at the end, what with the Ferengi being so goofy, the holdout guys weird, sped up halberd twirling and then Riker being all like "Sun Tzu, heard of him?" :shepface:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rypakal posted:

It's clear she doesn't want to be there. Maybe that explains Beltrane. Maybe he's secretly a good actor

Yeah she hated all the technobabble and the TV shooting schedule. Notice how there's not a single TV show in her IMDB listing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah she hated all the technobabble and the TV shooting schedule. Notice how there's not a single TV show in her IMDB listing.

She also didn't like the idea of having more than one director.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Mister Kingdom posted:

She also didn't like the idea of having more than one director.

If that's the case she should have tried out for Babylon 5. Not only for the director thing but the fact that most of the time she wouldn't have been out-acted

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Luigi Thirty posted:

As I recall she said it was comic book dialogue.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MadDogMike posted:

OK, just one thought on recently re-seeing Genesis from TNG (where everybody "de-evolved"; bleh, the things that does to my brain as somebody trained in the science of genetics...). When Picard gets freaked out by spider-Barclay Data diagnoses it as him starting to devolve into a lemur; while the thought of lemur-Picard is amusing, isn't the more obvious response "You're scared after being startled by a hideous spider-monster? NO loving poo poo, CAPTAIN!!!"? Really, you'd think Data and Picard would know Occam's Razor.

Especially with Data being such a Sherlock Fan.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just realized that both the crazy grown-up feral Molly episode and the not-Dominion-but-kind-of-a-dickhead-changeling episode both concluded in similar ways- namely "oh man, it's going to be really awkward dealing with this new character who doesn't fit in here, I wonder what we'll do about that? Perhaps a new arc for the main characters involved will... loljk they've been accused of murder/assault and have to leave immediately or they'll be imprisoned! Ok, goodbye forever!" Like, is there no better way to get rid of inconvenient characters than to have them commit violent crimes?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Hard Clumping posted:

If that's the case she should have tried out for Babylon 5. Not only for the director thing but the fact that most of the time she wouldn't have been out-acted

? Babylon 5 had rotating directors like every other tv show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it was writers where B5 mostly had just the one.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

rypakal posted:

? Babylon 5 had rotating directors like every other tv show.

Please don't talk about Babylon 5 and rotation without throwing out a trigger warning first.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I always figured Stewart cared far more about his theater work then Star Trek, but I guess not!

"Patrick Stewart: 'Star Trek' Work Is Just As Valid As Shakespeare Work"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/17/patrick-stewart-star-trek-shakespeare_n_4284639.html

Kinda funny how the (very short) article has a serious tone about how Stewart feels about his work, but at the bottom of the article they include a TNG gag reel.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So it only took like 5 episodes for them to find the naked people planet? Wesley looks disgusted!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Apple Jax posted:

I always figured Stewart cared far more about his theater work then Star Trek, but I guess not!

"Patrick Stewart: 'Star Trek' Work Is Just As Valid As Shakespeare Work"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/17/patrick-stewart-star-trek-shakespeare_n_4284639.html

Kinda funny how the (very short) article has a serious tone about how Stewart feels about his work, but at the bottom of the article they include a TNG gag reel.

Oh yeah, he's said this a lot of times. I remember him talking about how he considered all his theater work and Shakespeare mere preparation for his true life role of being Picard.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Ha ha, I just watched DS9 episode The Visitor - the one with Old Jake Sisko. It's a great :unsmith: episode but it was pretty funny how they used a tall, well-built older actor for Jake, but then just put a little bit more make-up on the same little guy for Nog.

Ferengi are short :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Watch the interview he did with Shatner for 'The Captains'. Apparently he used to kind of dislike the fact that Picard and Star Trek had become his career milestone, but has since grown to enjoy it more. I mean you could do a lot worse.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely tell Stewart has mellowed quite a bit since he stopped doing Star Trek.

I'm sure the residuals help with that attitude.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Thwomp posted:

You can definitely tell Stewart has mellowed quite a bit since he stopped doing Star Trek.

I'm sure the residuals help with that attitude.

I think he is also able to reflect a lot more on the good work he did whilst being on Trek and not inundated by the incredibly hectic shooting schedules/movies etc..

When half your time is spent doing pretend space poo poo and talking technobabble your tolerance for it withers.

Now he can look back and relish in lines such as "you dont deserve to WEAR THAT UNIFORM" and "NOT GOOD ENOUGH drat IT. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!" and so on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Watch the interview he did with Shatner for 'The Captains'. Apparently he used to kind of dislike the fact that Picard and Star Trek had become his career milestone, but has since grown to enjoy it more. I mean you could do a lot worse.

I assume also when he was filming Trek he was not able to do plays that he wanted to do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That may have been part of it. Also I believe he says in the same interview how the difficulty of working in LA but having a home in London with the family there ended up destroying his first marriage.

But he's clearly mellowed since even the end of the TNG films.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Not doing Trek left him free to play the role he was born for, Professor Charles Xavier. :corsair:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't this basically the same path Shatner followed? At least I think he used to hugely dislike being only associated with Kirk then just went "gently caress it" and rolled with it.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
So I got myself sick and decided to watch some Star Trek. The Wounded is a great episode, I'm pretty sad that Marc Alaimo didn't get to have a dope goatee for Dukat to wear though. It's a shame TNG didn't do more with Cardassians or even Romulans.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Isn't this basically the same path Shatner followed? At least I think he used to hugely dislike being only associated with Kirk then just went "gently caress it" and rolled with it.

The difference is, Patrick Stewart seems to be reasonably well-liked by the people he's worked with. Shatner, on the other hand, at times comes off as little more than a bitter, egotistical old shithead who's upset that every event in the universe isn't focused solely on him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Shatner had no career after Trek, though, so of course he'd have resented it. He couldn't hardly get cast in anything anymore because he was Captain Kirk. I don't think Stewart really had that same kind of career-death as a possibility, because I think he could have just resumed his theatre career more or less where he left it, and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shatner's best Star Trek episode was that one he did before Star Trek, with the Twilight Zone.

No, not that Twilight Zone episode. The other one.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Shatner had no career after Trek, though, so of course he'd have resented it. He couldn't hardly get cast in anything anymore because he was Captain Kirk. I don't think Stewart really had that same kind of career-death as a possibility, because I think he could have just resumed his theatre career more or less where he left it, and it wouldn't have been an issue.

What were Shatner's book sales like? I read a couple of them and thought they were okay, although I was 16 at the time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What about TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Those were all after Trek came back.

Isn't the popular story that he was so impoverished for part of the 70's that he lived in a trailer somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Thwomp posted:

What about TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal?

That was all 80s on. The 70s he was stuck doing anything that he was offered.

• Locked thread