Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I was looking for info on the current downtime (there isn't any) but it turns out the Netflix twitter is pretty funny. https://twitter.com/netflix

e: HuffPo did a series of articles recommending stuff on Netflix, you might find a thing.

What To Watch On Netflix, Part 1: The Classics
What To Watch On Netflix, Part 2: Pretty Good Bets
What To Watch On Netflix, Part 3: Overlooked Gems
What To Watch On Netflix, Part 4: Reader Recommendations

Kraps has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just noticed that Commando is on netflix. It's the most awesomely ridiculous movie that Arnold Schwartzenegger has ever been in. Basically, Arnold's kid gets kidnapped by a former dictator of a made up Latin American country and he goes to rescue her. There's a part where he leaps out of a plane from hundreds of feet in the air and lands in a waist deep marsh without a scratch. Arnold's character, John Matrix, even stands in the middle of an open field and shoots a hundred bad guys without getting hit or bothering to aim at them. There's a bunch of cheesy one-liners, closeups of Arnold's muscles and James Horner's insanely unsubtle saxophone and steel drum filled soundtrack. I love everything about it.

It's also the most unintentionally gay movie I've ever seen. Arnold's rival looks like a fat Freddie Mercury in his leather daddy getup and clearly has an obsessive crush on Arnold's character.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

coyo7e posted:

Uhh, the original James Bond (in the novels,) was the pitbull. Connery-era was super watered-down and genteel. Which makes this even more laughable http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1858469/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_7

This is a pretty funny recount of one such prank/experiment. http://freakonomics.com/2010/12/16/freakonomics-radio-do-more-expensive-wines-taste-better.

There's probably something of a big difference between vodka and wine tasting.

Yea, that wine has a ton of subtle nuance most people have to try hard to detect. I think a lot of people are equating "hard to detect" with "It's ALL bullshit".

It's not.

I don't really drink wine, I don't spend much money on wine and I don't really care about wine. But don't watch an episode of "Bullshit" and read a couple of articles about people failing to detect the difference between white and red wine, and think that you know the secret of a huge, historical industry. Even beyond price there is probably a lot to know about wine.

Oh yea, and Robot and Frank is pretty good and now up on Netflix Instant. Worth a watch.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Nov 13, 2013

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

The Southern Dandy posted:

You're really selling that hard, aren't you?

It's good kind of! An enjoyable experience.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Step up to the plate: I really like how it outlined the family more than just being a food and restaurant movie. Its all in french and subtitled.

Not the best but its watchable.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Celery Face posted:

It's also the most unintentionally gay movie I've ever seen. Arnold's rival looks like a fat Freddie Mercury in his leather daddy getup and clearly has an obsessive crush on Arnold's character.

I'm not sure there's anything unintentional about it. Bennett is finally killed after Matrix penetrates him with his big rod.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I saw City Under Siege last night and have no idea why it was rated to me as 2.5-3 stars.

It's the touching story of a good-looking-but-retarded guy who can't perform his family's martial arts, who gets left for dead by the other performers of the (low-down dirty robbin' banks kind of) circus he cleans toilets for, after they try to rob some (long-dead, fictitious, and entirely unexplained BUT still rich) gold miners which they inexplicably find while hanging out in some hangout of theirs which happens to be near a military testing facility for FEV to create supermutants.

Luckily the FEV mutagens give Forrest Gump enough superpowers to be decent at his kung fu (you'll :laugh: when he gets angry), and it gives a shot of life into a washed-up April O'Neil's career. Bebop, Rocksteady and the rest of the foot clan blow poo poo up, there's some kung fu cops who hunt mutants, and some really hamhanded trigger warning rape insinuations toward the finale.

Way higher production values and more entertaining than I expected, and I think that April O'Neil has been in a lot of stuff I've seen, she's usually pretty entertaining.. (Didn't she play a blind girl in a Yun-Fat Chow movie or something?)

Ending continuity weirdness: Forrest takes TWO knives completely through his chest/shoulder and out the back, and never bleeds a drop, even while April is bleeding to death form the exact same kind of wound?

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Nov 13, 2013

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not sure there's anything unintentional about it. Bennett is finally killed after Matrix penetrates him with his big rod.

Yeah, the homoeroticism in the final fight isn't exactly subtle. When the bad guy is about to fight him, it's like he may have a knife in one hand, but his dick's probably in the other. It's hilarious.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm saying unintentional because the director says he has no idea why people think that Bennett it gay. Though, he's probably the only person on earth who doesn't get it. Like seriously, how could you watch this part (spoilers) and not notice anything homoerotic.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Starbuck is french, and about a slacker who finds out that due to some shenanigans at a sperm clinic ends up the father of 533 children, and 142 sue to discover his identity. If this story sounds familiar, it's because it's currently about to come out as a remake in english starring Vince Vaughn. It's really nice, and the characters are pretty likeable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Celery Face posted:

I'm saying unintentional because the director says he has no idea why people think that Bennett it gay. Though, he's probably the only person on earth who doesn't get it. Like seriously, how could you watch this part (spoilers) and not notice anything homoerotic.

Holy poo poo, he really does look like a fat Freddy Mercury.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crow Jane posted:

While it wasn't anything groundbreaking, Europa Report was a really well-constructed and visually awesome sci-fi thriller.

It had a lot going for it but the storytelling was a jumbled mess. When you tell a story out of sequence there should be a payoff but there wasn't. Like the guy who just disappears from the ship only to find out later he died in space, he was such a minor character that his disappearance and death didn't matter.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

wormil posted:

It had a lot going for it but the storytelling was a jumbled mess. When you tell a story out of sequence there should be a payoff but there wasn't. Like the guy who just disappears from the ship only to find out later he died in space, he was such a minor character that his disappearance and death didn't matter.

Different strokes for different folks. That was an emotionally powerful scene for me. But maybe it's just because Sharlto Copley is so awesome. But Michael Nyqvist really brought it too.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Holy poo poo, he really does look like a fat Freddy Mercury.
I think I remember the guy's actor saying that Bennett looked like Freddie Mercury on steroids. Can't say I agree.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Watched In Bruges last night. Somewhat boilerplate, though well acted and darkly funny crime movie. Turns out Colin Farrell is a good actor.

wedgie deliverer has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Nov 16, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

hi liter posted:

Watched In Bruges last night. Somewhat boilerplate, though well acted and darkly funny crime movie. Turns out Colin Farrell is a good actor.

Boilerplate in what way?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I wouldn't call it boilerplate. It's a smart, funny movie with a lot of personality. If a quiet, introspective, funny crime drama with gunfights sounds good to you, I highly recommend it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I watched the first 15ish minutes of that movie and just felt like I was shrugging continuously so I turned it off. Does it get better? Because I wanted to smack the one guy about 5 minutes into it. Oh you're tormented and dislike Bruges? Fascinating.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Just want to give some love to Leverage.

I've been out of commission from a surgery for the last 3 or 4 days, so I was looking for something light that I could watch or just have on in the background while I slouch around. Leverage is very light and goofy and has a lot of heart. The humor isn't laugh out loud funny, but because it doesn't try to be. It's just the kind of humor that keeps you half smiling through a scene without trying too hard to be joke/punchline.

The first episode isn't important to the series because the 'premise' isn't important to the series. Every episode follows the same formula, so you can just jump in and know what's going on. Also "the alcoholic who lost his son etc...." description paints a very different pictures. All of these "criminals" are the people who want babysitting your kids.

Thanks for the recommendation.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

showbiz_liz posted:

I watched the first 15ish minutes of that movie and just felt like I was shrugging continuously so I turned it off. Does it get better? Because I wanted to smack the one guy about 5 minutes into it. Oh you're tormented and dislike Bruges? Fascinating.
Yeah. It's a slow boil and dark, but excellent acting, and very entertaining and often funny.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Celery Face posted:

I think I remember the guy's actor saying that Bennett looked like Freddie Mercury on steroids. Can't say I agree.

He actually looks just like Freddie Mercury on steroids, if Freddie Mercury on steroids never lifted a single weight.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I watched an episode of Don't Trust the B and liked it well enough to give another one a shot. James Van Der Beek steals the show.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I watched an episode of Don't Trust the B and liked it well enough to give another one a shot. James Van Der Beek steals the show.

Its my 2nd fave show on netflix. Vanderbeek really is the best.

Sharknado: its as bad as you think.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah, I might have marathon-ed that whole show. Can't believe it got cancelled :sigh:. James Van Der Beek as... James Van Der Beek is a great setup for a bunch of silly poo poo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Boilerplate in what way?

A number of the characters (specifically the female ones) sort of fell into very much archetypal roles. But like I said, it was very well acted and funny, and entertaining enough to overcome its weaknesses.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Intouchables is the first subbed movie I put on to casually watch while browsing the internet that was so compelling I stopped and focused solely on the movie for the entire time.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
1st 3 episodes of Alpha House are on Amazon Prime. It's got John Goodman in it and Bill Murray was in the 1st few minutes that I've watched.

Amazon posted:

A comedy featuring John Goodman. Re-election battles, looming indictments, parties, their Party... these senators need a drink. And a new housemate. Watch the first 3 episodes free. New episodes exclusively for Amazon Prime members.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Only God Forgives, Nicolas Winding Refn's newest movie, is on Netflix. If you thought that Drive was polarizing then this will give you a conniption.

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
Grabbers is very funny. Good monsters too.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Uhh, the original James Bond (in the novels,) was the pitbull. Connery-era was super watered-down and genteel. Which makes this even more laughable http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1858469/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_7

I am aware of this fact, having read the novels. I was talking in context of the films (which are such a different beast than the written stuff that it's practically night and day). Connery's Bond is the pop culture baseline, with Craig's hard-edged portrayal a recent addition. So yes, for many, Skyfall is in some ways a return to form.

Sef! has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Nov 17, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Empire State is a surprisingly high-quality caper/crime drama with The Rock. I guess it's based on some actual crime back in the 80s or something. Starts out funny and gets pretty serious toward the end.

Goon posted:

Grabbers is very funny. Good monsters too.
Yeah this one was way better than I expected, it's basically Slither without Michael Rooker, and WITH a bunch of crazy drunken Irish.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I watched Miller's Crossing last night, a Coen brothers prohibition era gangster movie. It was really good, worth a watch if you like the Coen brothers or crime dramas.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Miller's Crossing is possibly my fav Coen brothers, which puts it pretty high on my list of favourite films.

It sucks they don't have a better quality scan of it on Netflix though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

priznat posted:

Miller's Crossing is possibly my fav Coen brothers, which puts it pretty high on my list of favourite films.

And would put it in the running for favorite films world wide, eh?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Only God Forgives, Nicolas Winding Refn's newest movie, is on Netflix. If you thought that Drive was polarizing then this will give you a conniption.

Assuming you don't go into this movie thinking it is going to be like Drive in Thailand (and that it doesn't try to be), then it's a very good movie. The entire premise of a revenge story is turned on its head here and I don't understand why people are so divided about it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
But if you're like me and loved Valhalla Rising you will find Only God Forgives to be just as delightful.

Seriously, watch Valhalla Rising.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Assuming you don't go into this movie thinking it is going to be like Drive in Thailand (and that it doesn't try to be), then it's a very good movie. The entire premise of a revenge story is turned on its head here and I don't understand why people are so divided about it.

I'd write a lot of it up to bad marketing. The trailer certainly had no qualms about painting it as an actiony, Tarantino-in-Thailand kind of story.

(to clarify, I loved it as well. But again, I've been a big Nicolas Winding Refn fan since Bronson.)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deadite posted:

But if you're like me and loved Valhalla Rising you will find Only God Forgives to be just as delightful.

Seriously, watch Valhalla Rising.

drat it, I just finished watching Only God Forgives a minute ago, and was going to say this exact thing.

I guess I'll just have to be content with adding that I thought Kristin Scott Thomas was amazing in Only God Forgives, and steals every scene she's in. She was either really hot in the movie, or the creepiest person ever, and I can't really decide.

edit: I like looking up movies on imdb after I watch them, and apparently Nicolas Winding Refn is possibly going to direct a movie based on L'Incal, and I couldn't be more excited about a comic adaptation.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Nov 18, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zwabu posted:

And would put it in the running for favorite films world wide, eh?

:lol: yes I didn't even realize I was sort of doing that. Big Lebowski is my favourite Coen. It sneaks into my phrasing all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

I'd write a lot of it up to bad marketing. The trailer certainly had no qualms about painting it as an actiony, Tarantino-in-Thailand kind of story.

(to clarify, I loved it as well. But again, I've been a big Nicolas Winding Refn fan since Bronson.)
I honestly thought it felt way more like Drive, but in Thailand. Lots of the Gosling dude being all stoney faced, minimal dialogue, etc.

I can see some parallels with Valhalla Rising, but Valhalla Rising is pretty action-packed and focused, compared to Only God Forgives.

Twitch posted:

I guess I'll just have to be content with adding that I thought Kristin Scott Thomas was amazing in Only God Forgives, and steals every scene she's in. She was either really hot in the movie, or the creepiest person ever, and I can't really decide.
Her acting was amazing but it was very much :catstare: the entire time.

For really hot: :psypop: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4457335/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Nov 19, 2013

• Locked thread