Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thing is I don't think there are all that many other characters (than his "support crew") that even bother to comment on Miles. One way or the other.

I guess dropping Miles into that big fisticuffs with the Ultimates(?) was supposed to plant him as some sort of accidental hero/big name and maybe get him some cred... but I don't really get the vibe that anyone knows/or cares outside of street cops and some civilians.

How many big name villains has he taken down, by the way? Not meaning guys like the Scorpion (well, the second(?) scorpion) and Taskmaster. Bonus fame points if it was infront of media (like that Doc Ock fight waaaay back with original Peter)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

Thing is I don't think there are all that many other characters (than his "support crew") that even bother to comment on Miles. One way or the other.

I guess dropping Miles into that big fisticuffs with the Ultimates(?) was supposed to plant him as some sort of accidental hero/big name and maybe get him some cred... but I don't really get the vibe that anyone knows/or cares outside of street cops and some civilians.

How many big name villains has he taken down, by the way? Not meaning guys like the Scorpion (well, the second(?) scorpion) and Taskmaster. Bonus fame points if it was infront of media (like that Doc Ock fight waaaay back with original Peter)

Rhino in front of Cap. And Venom in front of everyone at the hospital.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Completely forgotten about Rhino. Guess he's kinda big.

Not too impressed with Miles own all-new-rogues though, need more Dr Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (the answer to all Spider-man villains).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Venom kind of counts as someone new because it (probably) wasn't the same symbiote, but Roxxon's version of it. And it had a completely different host.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

I understand that. But on the other hand, Peter wasn't taken seriously as a hero until late in his career. So how many more "you're just a kid, go home" stories do we really need?

As long as Spider-Man is a teen, we're going to get these stories. Nature of the beast.

What keeps it interesting is that Miles and Peter are taking far different paths into their hero career. Peter was truly solo as a hero for the most part, and SHIELD just barely tolerated him as an annoyance. They only sort of started accepting him before he died.

Miles, on the other hand, is immediately on SHIELD's radar because of what happened with Parker. He also has Spider-Woman supporting him, in addition to a growing circle of super-powered friends he may be able to rely on in the future. He's headed down a much different path than Parker was on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DFu4ever posted:

Miles, on the other hand, is immediately on SHIELD's radar because of what happened with Parker. He also has Spider-Woman supporting him, in addition to a growing circle of super-powered friends he may be able to rely on in the future. He's headed down a much different path than Parker was on.
Peter had that too, it just came and went as the story required it.

I mean he literally lived with two superheros for about 20 or so issues.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 18, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always wish Bendis had done more with that.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, roughly 130 issues into the run. We're only 30 into this book.

Endless Mike posted:

I always wish Bendis had done more with that.

I agree. I liked the Kitty/Iceman/Human Torch group that he hung with later in the series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, roughly 130 issues into the run. We're only 30 into this book.

Shield was introduced and played a large part in either the first or second Green goblin arc.

The X-men showed up really early as well and he dated one of them about half-way in.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Someone should ask Bendis why that idea never took off. Was he forced to by the management for the death? Did he not like the idea himself? Was he OUT of ideas for it? Was it deliberate for mood whiplash?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

The X-men showed up really early as well and he dated one of them about half-way in.

Spider-Man had a crossover issue with the X-Men early on, but he didn't start dating Kitty until something like 90 issues in.

EDIT: Which reminds me how ridiculously uneven the Ultimate X-Men book always was. It was sorta good at the beginning, and would have a good story every now and then, but it turned into poo poo by the end.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 18, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DFu4ever posted:

Spider-Man had a crossover issue with the X-Men early on, but he didn't start dating Kitty until something like 90 issues in.

EDIT: Which reminds me how ridiculously uneven the Ultimate X-Men book always was. It was sorta good at the beginning, and would have a good story every now and then, but it turned into poo poo by the end.

The crossover was in Ultimate Team up and that was two years into Ultimate Spider-man. Ultimate X-men became a giant mess when they gave it to Kirkman. It does not matter that it was originally suppose to just be a fill in arc, the story got worse the longer he stayed on. Then after he left they gave it to one of Loeb's Heroes buddies and it went completely to poo poo.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 18, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Pete/Johnny/Bobby thing also is a bit more developed in the Doomsday trilogy as well.

DFu4ever posted:

As long as Spider-Man is a teen, we're going to get these stories. Nature of the beast.

What keeps it interesting is that Miles and Peter are taking far different paths into their hero career. Peter was truly solo as a hero for the most part, and SHIELD just barely tolerated him as an annoyance. They only sort of started accepting him before he died.

People tend to forget the Ultimate Six mini where Fury recruits Spidey to help the Ultimtes defeat the Sinister Six and Fury tells everyone not to treat Peter badly just because he's a kid since he's beaten all 6 of the villains on his own.

But it wasn't so much that SHIELD was backing Peter rather than Fury.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

People tend to forget the Ultimate Six mini where Fury recruits Spidey to help the Ultimtes defeat the Sinister Six and Fury tells everyone not to treat Peter badly just because he's a kid since he's beaten all 6 of the villains on his own.

But it wasn't so much that SHIELD was backing Peter rather than Fury.

You're right, i did forget the Ultimate Six thing.

bobkatt013 posted:

The crossover was in Ultimate Team up and that was two years into Ultimate Spider-man. Ultimate X-men became a giant mess when they gave it to Kirkman. It does not matter that it was originally suppose to just be a fill in arc, the story got worse the longer he stayed on. Then after he left they gave it to one of Loeb's Heroes buddies and it went completely to poo poo.

i remember that by the time Bishop showed up I had almost completely lost interest in the book.

On a related note, I was reading some of the recent UXM issues. When did Jean Grey turn into a terrible person who actively wants to sabotage Kitty Pryde's little mutant utopia? She barely seems like the original character.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DFu4ever posted:

On a related note, I was reading some of the recent UXM issues. When did Jean Grey turn into a terrible person who actively wants to sabotage Kitty Pryde's little mutant utopia? She barely seems like the original character.

At some point, post-flood, She joined SHIELD as part of a black ops crew that infiltrated Tian and she defected. Since then she became completely devoted to the defense of the floating nation. Esp after the death of the leaders and she assumed control.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Against all odds, I enjoyed Cataclysm #2 if only for the end and the direction #3 will go.

Also because Miles is the best. That said, why did Kitty dyed her hair and is now friends with Jean?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Against all odds, I enjoyed Cataclysm #2 if only for the end and the direction #3 will go.

Also because Miles is the best. That said, why did Kitty dyed her hair and is now friends with Jean?

I dunno about the hair dye but the friends thing is because Utopia is all about givin' people a second chance. This is Jean's third chance so we'll see how that holds up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sion posted:

I dunno about the hair dye but the friends thing is because Utopia is all about givin' people a second chance. This is Jean's third chance so we'll see how that holds up.

Well they did blow up Jean's Final Fantasy island. The least they could do is let her sleep on the couch for a few weeks.

Also where the gently caress are the Infinity Gems?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

coconono posted:

They disintegrated

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

coconono posted:

Well they did blow up Jean's Final Fantasy island. The least they could do is let her sleep on the couch for a few weeks.

Is that what happened with that storyline? What a waste. We could have this awesome floating island that's it's own nation but nah we'll stick to this shithole in the dessert that still belongs to America no matter how much 8th grade level understanding of micro-nations we throw at it.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

SirDan3k posted:

Is that what happened with that storyline? What a waste. We could have this awesome floating island that's it's own nation but nah we'll stick to this shithole in the dessert that still belongs to America no matter how much 8th grade level understanding of micro-nations we throw at it.

Remember Ultimate Spider-Man flashed forward a year a bit ago? I think Cataclysm is UXM and Ultimates catching up.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

coconono posted:

Future Sue Storm and Reed's plan failed, so they vaporized and probably went back into whatever magic ether they're from.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I love the cast that Bendis has continued with into the Spider-Man Cataclysm title. I really hope they make it through whatever Marvel's doing with the Ultimate U, though I get the feeling not all of them will (whether by Bendis' choice or not). Today's issue has some really good moments, and also shows us brief glimpses of what some of the characters in NY were dealing with during Ultimatum. I continue to enjoy Ultimate Cloak and Dagger. The main reason I'm posting about this issue is to mention its last couple pages. I'll just say, I may have misted up a bit. Say what you will about Bendis these days, he is still nailing these moments in Ultimate Spidey.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 11, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is there something wrong with me or is anyone else absolutely not giving a gently caress at all about whatever Fury and his Secret Warriors or whatever are doing?

Besides Punisher, who gets so little time that he could just be any nutjob holding a gun, they're all new characters and just why should I care?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is there something wrong with me or is anyone else absolutely not giving a gently caress at all about whatever Fury and his Secret Warriors or whatever are doing?

Besides Punisher, who gets so little time that he could just be any nutjob holding a gun, they're all new characters and just why should I care?

This whole event has fallen into one big BLEARGH. Galactus blew up Jersey, so uh, we're gonna go to 616 earth and rob Reed Richard's lab! yeah(this will not go wrong)! GAH-LAK-TUS is hanging out with AIM so we're gonna uh... gently caress it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

coconono posted:

This whole event has fallen into one big BLEARGH. Galactus blew up Jersey, so uh, we're gonna go to 616 earth and rob Reed Richard's lab! yeah(this will not go wrong)! GAH-LAK-TUS is hanging out with AIM so we're gonna uh... gently caress it.

It, like all Ultimate Events has just kind of farted itself into a pool of nothing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Or to put it more on the nose, once again Bendis has built up our expectations to champagne levels and given us tepid flat seltzer instead.

You really get the sense that the Bendis method of writing, known as 'making it up as I go along hope it ends well' has never really succeeded, possibly excepting some arcs of the Parker USM, IMHO.

See: Secret Invasion, Siege, Moon Knight, etc.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 11, 2013

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I did find it really funny that Punisher says, "Punish", while being a robot monster thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Madrox posted:

I love the cast that Bendis has continued with into the Spider-Man Cataclysm title. I really hope they make it through whatever Marvel's doing with the Ultimate U, though I get the feeling not all of them will (whether by Bendis' choice or not). Today's issue has some really good moments, and also shows us brief glimpses of what some of the characters in NY were dealing with during Ultimatum. I continue to enjoy Ultimate Cloak and Dagger. The main reason I'm posting about this issue is to mention its last couple pages. I'll just say, I may have misted up a bit. Say what you will about Bendis these days, he is still nailing these moments in Ultimate Spidey.

Yeah I came here immediately after reading that. Holy poo poo. I didn't get the Ultimates tie-in but USM was so loving good. I loving love the art, especially for Cloak's shadows and Bombshell's charges.

This book is so god damned good. I love how Galactus was kept in the background except for the C&D moment (badass). Beginning with the TWO YEARS EARLIER and the flashbacks were pretty great. Up until then I hadn't even imagine thinking of where Miles was during Ultimatum.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It really does come off as Bendis is devoting his whole attention to the Spider-man part of this crossover. Nick Fury's Last stand is dumb. Ultimates tie in is confusing. The X-men tie in is completely tangential. But the Spider-man one still hits the meat of the story, even if the continuity is confusing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, I actually like pretty much the entire rest of the event, but I just cannot give two shits about this Ultimates plot. Literally every other book is revolving around stopping Galactus and then suddenly we're supposed to give a drat about Fury and these guys in the middle of nowhere doing nothing that relates to Galactus?

Hercules is pretty loving badass though.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
So does anyone sell me on Miles as spider-man or should I just follow my instincts and drop ultimate spider-man after the death of spidey? I just caught up and I've read a bit of the miles stuff but it's just a younger peter parker. I'm really not interested. It feels like a step back in the title. All the supporting characters I cared about were pretty much unceremoniously dropped for this new guy I'm just not all that interested in. Maybe I'm just too hung up on peter. Does it get better past the first couple of issues?

Medium Cool fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 13, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You're too hung up on Peter. Miles (and Ganke) is awesome.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Medium Cool posted:

So does anyone sell me on Miles as spider-man or should I just follow my instincts and drop ultimate spider-man after the death of spidey? I just caught up and I've read a bit of the miles stuff but it's just a younger peter parker. I'm really not interested. It feels like a step back in the title. All the supporting character I cared about were pretty much unceremoniously dropped for this new guy I'm just not all that interested in. Maybe I'm just too hung up on peter. Does it get better past the first couple of issues?

Keep going for a bit. Those supporting characters haven't been dropped as much as you'd think

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

You're too hung up on Peter. Miles (and Ganke) is awesome.

Pretty much. Ultimate Spider-Man (Parker) is probably my favorite comic ever, but Miles is awesome and the title definitely stands on its own. It's a great book.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Medium Cool posted:

So does anyone sell me on Miles as spider-man or should I just follow my instincts and drop ultimate spider-man after the death of spidey? I just caught up and I've read a bit of the miles stuff but it's just a younger peter parker. I'm really not interested. It feels like a step back in the title. All the supporting characters I cared about were pretty much unceremoniously dropped for this new guy I'm just not all that interested in. Maybe I'm just too hung up on peter. Does it get better past the first couple of issues?

It's a great book on its own but if you're going in determined to not like it, you probably aren't going to like it.

Considering USM entire history comprises mostly of 5-6 issue arcs, it is really dumb to judge Miles on 2 issues when Bendis writes in 6 issue stories.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

It's a great book on its own but if you're going in determined to not like it, you probably aren't going to like it.

Considering USM entire history comprises mostly of 5-6 issue arcs, it is really dumb to judge Miles on 2 issues when Bendis writes in 6 issue stories.

I don't want to come across as overly negative, I really do want to like it because I like Bendis as a writer a lot. Miles just seems so much like Peter and if we're going to kill Peter I'd rather the guy taking up his mask feel more like a distinct character. You're right though, I need to read more before I pass my final judgment.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Medium Cool posted:

I don't want to come across as overly negative, I really do want to like it because I like Bendis as a writer a lot. Miles just seems so much like Peter and if we're going to kill Peter I'd rather the guy taking up his mask feel more like a distinct character. You're right though, I need to read more before I pass my final judgment.

The thing to keep in mind is that while Miles is very similar to Peter personality wise nothing about the story is the same as Peter's. Miles has a lot of different struggles than Peter, the biggest of which is living up to Peter's legacy.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Medium Cool posted:

Maybe it's best to think of Miles as a story about someone who IS NOT the "hero" Peter, and as such has to work at figuring out who he is and how he can become the "hero" on his own.

So the conflict he's facing is one of identity instead of revenge or justice or doing what's right, it's figuring out how to be your own person if you start off in their shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Medium Cool posted:

I don't know. Miles is a very morally sound character, like Peter. But his situation is completely different. I find it really hard to believe that the cliffhanger at the end of this week's UCSM is going to play out similarly to how when Peter Parker has done it.

• Locked thread