Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
dr who needs fresh writing/producing blood

blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

almost human pilot was ok. if you thought it was going to be blade runner/I,robot/minority report yes that's exactly what it is. the toxic gas that targets cops was very fringe.

that sounds like a really good sci-fi show. i expect fox will cancel it in a couple months

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

that sounds like a really good sci-fi show. i expect fox will cancel it in a couple months

fringe lasted five seasons, they're getting better :unsmith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

its regular slot is Monday at 8 replacing bones and the only other thing on at 8 that the nerd demo might watch is how I met your mother. its also the lead in to sleepy hollow at 9 which is almost the same demographic so theres probably a decent chance of both shows helping each other out. but who knows.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also v pumped hannibal got another season, utopia's coming back, cheayyyyyahhhhh

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
hey guys thor 2 was the least worst of the recent marvel movies but it still had some really awful aspects such as "everyone not evil is super loving and high fiving thor and they cant get enough of him but everyone evil literally wants to murder everyone in the entire universe because reasons"

looked cool of course and had both my waifus

so uh

yeh dont bother i guess

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was fun and stuff blew up or got hit with hammers and swords a lot I guess. Also haha spaceships and AA cannons in Asgard.

otoh today someone called TNG 'classic Star Trek' :corsair:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Thor 2's climactic battle sequence is one re-cut away from being pretty great slapstick comedy

also loving laughing on my rear end over here at the bad guys being elves of all possible things

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

It was fun and stuff blew up or got hit with hammers and swords a lot I guess. Also haha spaceships and AA cannons in Asgard.

yeh i liked "the setting" because im a big dumb idiot and i like elves and dwarves and "magic" in space, which is sort of what i wrapped into its visuals

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Glorgnole posted:

Thor 2's climactic battle sequence is one re-cut away from being pretty great slapstick comedy

also loving laughing on my rear end over here at the bad guys being elves of all possible things

excuse me

dark elves

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

excuse me

dark eldar

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

yo there were evil elves flying spaceships through gleaming gold cities while giant men in armor were smashing things with hammers and shields

i think

were very close to a warhams 40k movie

yessssssssssssss

itll be worse than the doom movie :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

excuse me

dork elves

but you repeat yourself

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

somebody needs to go read lords & ladies again

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(i'm not british i just spent too much time on wikipedia after wondering why the gently caress "channel 4" is called "channel 4." i never did really figure it out)

because it was the fourth television channel hth

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tell me about trains, Leon.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thor 2 owned

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

thor 2 owned

nope

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

were very close to a warhams 40k movie

i would sooner watch a cg team fortress movie

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SynthOrange posted:

otoh today someone called TNG 'classic Star Trek' :corsair:

to be fair TNG is older now than TOS was when TNG started

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the dark elder ships were rad as heck flying thru the city all dodging and poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk the whole thor mythology owns and the design of all the stuff owned and loki and thro broing it up was cool and fun.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a false and bad statement

Shaggar posted:

the dark elder ships were rad as heck flying thru the city all dodging and poo poo.

a truthful statement, why put guns on youre spaceship when you can just amke the whole thing a big knife

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

dr who needs fresh writing/producing blood

blood

no it needs to get cancelled and have a finale episode making fun of anglophile manbabies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
best part of thor 2 was thor and loki bickering like actual brothers

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shaggar posted:

idk the whole thor mythology owns and the design of all the stuff owned and loki and thro broing it up was cool and fun.

yeh and what owns is that there was not actually any realistic struggle or characters and the entire plot was MUST HIT OBVIOUS BIG EVIL THING HARD. NO HARDER. NO EVEN HARDER. OK WE WIN.

everyone could not suck thors dick enough except for his father who inexplicibly hated him more than he hated the actual bad guys. "somethings wrong with this human she exploded when someone touched he-" "NO SHUT UP. DONT CARE. SHUT OFF ALL THIS poo poo I WONT EVEN GLANCE AT THE SCREEN GET HER OUT OF HERE. Ps thanks for uniting all the realms basically single handily because none of your lieutenants could handle a bunch of unexplained, completely heterogenous bad guys with blowguns. NOW GET OUT OF MY SIGHT."

the bad guys were worse than comic book villians because their entire motivation was "murder literally everything including most of ourselves in suicide attacks even though theres 2 (no wait 10...no wait a few hundred...no wait apparently an entire legion escaped the giant battle and nobody loving noticed) of us left."

one person who actually matters dies, and she dies in the worst-cut scene in an otherwise well-edited movie: it cuts mid-fall when shes stabbed in a silent room to thor screaming while standing still 10 feet away and throwing lighting into the face of an elf.

and then at the very end loki, who was clearly stabbed, somehow was faking a stab wound in the chest, shows up back home, and without explaining what happens next is sitting on the throne, in disguise. did he kill odin? did odin hand over the throne? is odin just taking a poo poo and loki is loving around? its a gigantic part of what should be an evolution in the overall storyline and it doesnt explain a good god drat thing and i dont really care that it was the last thing in the movie, theyre making a 3rd and it just makes no sense to have such a huge change without a single word of explanation. movies shouldnt rely on sequels to actually make sense.

it looked cool, it hit my "mythological figures with laser" spot, and 99% of the editing was pretty good. the big epic battles were clear and enjoyable. im a giant man child and i still laugh at "mew mew." i might be misremembering but didnt they have thor saying poo poo like "THOU ART MINE BROTHER GOOD LOKI I DO BEG YOU TO SEE THINE REASON" because i didnt really notice in this movie, but i swear in avengers he talked like he was at the renn faire.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 18, 2013

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I'm about 4 books deep in the Culture series. It's fun and interesting sci-fi. The only complaint I have is that I can never remember half the peoples' names. My brain is always: "Hmmm here's a weird name... let's get some context... OK it's that guy again." Then I forget it by the time the name pops up again in the next chapter that character is in.

Also, the ships' names are hard to remember when there are about 10+ in play.

But, yes very good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

and then at the very end loki, who was clearly stabbed, somehow was faking a stab wound in the chest, shows up back home, and without explaining what happens next is sitting on the throne, in disguise. did he kill odin? did odin hand over the throne? is odin just taking a poo poo and loki is loving around? its a gigantic part of what should be an evolution in the overall storyline and it doesnt explain a good god drat thing and i dont really care that it was the last thing in the movie, theyre making a 3rd and it just makes no sense to have such a huge change without a single word of explanation. movies shouldnt rely on sequels to actually make sense.

I can only guess that he was illusioning (including tricking the dark elf who stabbed him) from slightly before he was stabbed all the way through to that final scene

he has the power to make everyone see anything he wants with very ill-defined limits which is one of those powers that would completely break the story if anyone thought through its real implications so they just don't and look incompetent as a result (see also half the characters on heroes)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 18, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

lmao grown rear end men watching disposable media about men with magic powers. it doesn't make any sense because it is zero-effort garbage with a target demo 20 years younger than you

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

haveblue posted:

he has the power to make everyone see anything he wants with very ill-defined limits which is one of those powers that would completely break the story if anyone thought through its real implications so they just don't and look incompetent as a result (see also half the characters on heroes)

no i get that he does that. i just could not figure out what loki sitting on the throne actually meant. the implications for the story and especially in light of the thread in the story revolving around "loki was a good guy in the end and sacrificed himself out of brotherly love," its too important to even the story in the movie to leave that hanging.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Socracheese posted:

lmao grown rear end men watching disposable media about men with magic powers. it doesn't make any sense because it is zero-effort garbage with a target demo 20 years younger than you

i cant argue with that.

i just feel like they could have made it way less dumb but kept dudes throwing lightning and spaceships falling out the sky full of elves, but they chose not to. so dumb. im dumb for paying to see it. so very dumb.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Werthog 95 posted:

when he became so pretty

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
comic book movies have always and will always continue to suck

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

stoutfish posted:

when did thor become so popular that he gets a second movie?

is the norse heritage demographic a big deal now?

all the avengers are getting i think 3 movies each?

i mean the main ones are, anyway

it was a big giant contract for all of them that they were basically signing up to be doing Comic Book Movies for the next 15 years of their lives or some poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they are going to make an iron man 5

downey is signed on through avengers 3

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rdj gonna make so much money

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
why do you all keep watching comic book movie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
b/c i like hellboy

and selma blair is a qt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cause their fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

why do you all keep watching comic book movie

because i have infantile friends who dont shut the gently caress up about them until i see them and have a laundrylist of reasons the movies are bad and why i now hate them as friends

• Locked thread