Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uuuuugh, struggling so hard to stay afloat in my bracket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Marvel Puzzle Quest.jpg

Then I had a fight where turn one the enemy cascaded into a five match that made their Storm crit my Thor for over 3k triggering a Storm passive battle. :sigh:

Edit: Oh and for the record that took place over a 3 minute break I took.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I said I'd had enough of the Widow Tournament and that I was done. Turns out that was a lie. Got up to 1000 anyway just now.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I ran out of heals with 20 minutes left to go, so now I just have to coast on what I've got. I keep bouncing between rank 10 and 12 as everyone else fights it out around me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Up next: 3 star tournament. :stare:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Oh boy, a 3 star tournament! I can put all my one-cover wonders to use!

I'm really feeling a rich-get-richer vibe :(

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Well, roll on Thursday for the lightning rounds, I guess.
I know if I enter the 3* tournament I'll become easy prey, I think the best I can muster is a lvl 25 IM40 and a lvl 18 Spider-man

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

SynthOrange posted:

Spideyrok's reign of terror continues! The tyranny of Thorm is at an end!

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
New event this week is a 3-star only tourney. 500 person brackets, Spidey for the winners, good ol' juggs for the not so winners.

I'm looking forward to this, even though all my ISO has gone to Thor CStorm and Daken. I say this because according to the recent events, mostly everyone else is in the same boat. Should make for some varied teams in the future, and shake things up a little bit.

Maybe this will be a good time to gamble hero points if they provide a 3-star only machine this week.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Poulpe posted:

Oh boy, a 3 star tournament! I can put all my one-cover wonders to use!

I'm really feeling a rich-get-richer vibe :(

I tried jumping into a random fight with a team of 1-covers and it was such a slow cripple fight I got bored and retreated.

Didn't help that my Spider-Man only has his useless passive ability.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah that's pretty much a gimme for everyone with exploited or huge spending 100+ Ragnaroks.

Doubt I'll be able to make much of a dent with unlevelled 3/1/3 Iron Man 40, 1/0/1 Magneto Classic and hopefully tomorrow 2/2/3 Black Widow Grey. I guess I could try 1/1 Ragnarok instead.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Got a purple Original Widow cover. Seems like her blue skill would be really good for PvE and little else. How are we supposed to level her up?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everyone seems to have terrible dudes though. Except those spidey ragnarok assholes. :mad:

Also I came out in the top 2 bracket! Woop!

Ahahahaha I love it! Gave me 1 purp, 2 blues.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

Got a purple Original Widow cover. Seems like her blue skill would be really good for PvE and little else. How are we supposed to level her up?
The last people they did this kind of event giveaway to were Iron Man (3 Star) and Captain America, who became available lots of places shortly afterwards.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
:sigh: Had a roughly 40 point lead in first place when the event ended.

Top 10 finish. :suicide:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Now that the widow stomping is over, I have the big decision - raise IM 40's yellow for the levels, or just sell the cover and shoot for 5-5-1 (someday)? I can't imagine ever using his yellow ability if it cost more than 6 AP, but selling a 3-star is just painful (especially after pulling 6 purple spiders before a single blue).

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
:woop: Got #1 in Black Widow, had to play it super casual with how lazy my bracket was, I spent 20 of the last 25 minutes just waiting to make my move while sitting on 850 points. Was #1 with 915.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This 3 star tourney is actually pretty neat. Seeing dudes other than Thor and Storm is nice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
What sort of defensive setups were you guys with 800+ points running? Any time I got even close to 800 points I'd take a beatdown like above where I'd lose 100-150 points. I probably lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-800 points in the last day alone.

My team was the pretty standard 85 Thor/85 Classic Storm/Suicide Widow.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

This 3 star tourney is actually pretty neat. Seeing dudes other than Thor and Storm is nice.

Not if your 3 star team consists of a level 15 spidey, a level 15 loki and a level 48 IM40, matches are so gruelingly long.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I found a new favorite combo.

Iron Man 40's Recharge for up to 9 red AP. Ragnarok's Thunderclap for 6 red AP for damage and to change 5 tiles to green. Grey Suit Black Widow's Deceptive Tactics for more green tiles. If that doesn't cause a cascade or generate crits and extra turns, Level 4 Sniper Rifle at 18 green AP for a finisher.

Oh and my Grey Widow is lv 50. :getin:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

No Thors or Classic Storms? Goodness, how novel.

Luckily I've ended up with quite a few 3 Stars. None of them are levelled much though, better rectify that I guess.

IM40 definitely, dunno who else. Magneto and Grey Widow I'm leaning towards, mainly because they've got the most skills so have the most room for levels.

Rewards came through. Top 25. New Widow seems kind of mediocre, but hey, another new cover for the collection. Think I might just start keeping at least one of everything now I've got more room.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got a few viable dudes to run with. Grey Widow is a monster with her ability to place 4 green tiles anywhere. She can target 3 points on the board which is great for shooting out Iron Man's recharges. And her sniper ability to nail everyone dead.

Second spot is Dr Doom who can convert vast swatches of the board into black cascades and attack tiles. Third spot I keep switching it out. IM40 or Loki seem to work well.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
OG Black Widow is a 2-star, and according to that iceX dev guy on their forum, she has a black ability they have to still implement. I'm guessing once they hash out what her black move will be, she'll be all over the drat place.

I finished first in my bracket and only being able to level her slightly, her blue will heal like 150. I'm definitely going to level her as a cheap way to heal (reduced cost to 9 blues is her third blue cover perk, probably gets cooler from there), especially once she becomes more readily available.

The IceX guy also said her blue heal is going to be patched to work even when there ARE countdown tiles on the board (at a 50% strength of a normal heal). Keep her on your watch list, for sure.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

All my three stars are only one cover, but I'm going to try to grind to 100 points to finish off my Daken at least.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Her costume is so hilaribad. I cant get enough of it. It's even got the bouffant!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

BGrifter posted:

What sort of defensive setups were you guys with 800+ points running? Any time I got even close to 800 points I'd take a beatdown like above where I'd lose 100-150 points. I probably lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-800 points in the last day alone.

My team was the pretty standard 85 Thor/85 Classic Storm/Suicide Widow.

This may not be the most useful answer to your question but here was my experience:

My bracket's top 1 oscillated between 700 and 800 points from Friday on. Seemed like anything above 700 would be crabbed down quickly. I hovered stably around 650, but I attribute that to having a lv 49 Grey Widow along with the typical maxed Thor/Classic Storm core. I figure most were like me and saw the leveled Widow then just hit skip.

Personally if I came across someone with a 30+ Modern Storm I automatically skipped it because on average I would take more damage than the match was worth from obnoxious Hailstorm spams.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
There are so many black widow characters now, but that costume is by far the best of all.

Her Black/Blue/Purple strengths are pretty nifty, I could use more purple and black characters. So far the only thing I'm not impressed with is her signature low HP again. All these 85 Thors bouncing around are going to have her for breakfast.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have 48 Points in the 3* as soon as I hit 50 for the gatcha machine I'm done. I got in top 10 for widow but the fact I only have two 3* with more than 1 cover is limiting also that only one of them can get to be over lvl 18. To win matches in the 3* use widow to make a crit tile that will fall between enviroment tiles so that you get enough to do their ult and kill the other team. It is the fastest way to win I have found.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

This may not be the most useful answer to your question but here was my experience:

My bracket's top 1 oscillated between 700 and 800 points from Friday on. Seemed like anything above 700 would be crabbed down quickly. I hovered stably around 650, but I attribute that to having a lv 49 Grey Widow along with the typical maxed Thor/Classic Storm core. I figure most were like me and saw the leveled Widow then just hit skip.

Personally if I came across someone with a 30+ Modern Storm I automatically skipped it because on average I would take more damage than the match was worth from obnoxious Hailstorm spams.

For storm you do the 3 to all ap and 3 to red yellow, match two yellow kill storm, match red, kill widow, then kill thor.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Oh hey a new tournament! As a low-level player without Spider-Men, Thors, Ragnaroks, or Storms...

LOOK AT ALL THIS COOL poo poo I'LL NEVER GET! :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah there are people who've rocketed to 400-odd points already. I'm guessing it must be a Ragnarok massacre up there.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 18, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

As a counter-point, I deliberately attacked ever leveled widow team I came across, since every widow match against my dummy widow was guaranteed to set off storm. Leveled widow teams were probably the shortest matches! The only teams I had trouble against were spideynoks, because gently caress that noise and anyone who lucked/cheated/bought there way into one!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Stickman posted:

As a counter-point, I deliberately attacked ever leveled widow team I came across, since every widow match against my dummy widow was guaranteed to set off storm. Leveled widow teams were probably the shortest matches! The only teams I had trouble against were spideynoks, because gently caress that noise and anyone who lucked/cheated/bought there way into one!

I actually didn't find the Spidey/Ragnarok teams a problem. Focus the Spidey and deny blue/red matches for a pretty easy win. If they score a Blue match Widow did an excellent job of eating the one stun they'd get off, often triggering Storm's passive right after. Usually the teams with both I encountered only had Spidey to around 70-80 and Rag around 100. If I was up to 10 of them I'd burn a +3 Blue/Purple boost to start the match and usually by the time I whittled Spidey down with Storm passives and straight matches I could use Storm's blue ability to lock down the sole remaining Rag.

Winning matches was never really a problem though. I had little trouble chaining wins to get up to 1k on my first batch of health packs. It was losing 100+ points to losses often during the duration of a single match that took less than a minute and earned me 15-25 points if I was lucky.

I guess the other way of looking at it is that I barely slipped into third place after the event was finished. A ten point swing the other direction would have probably kept me in top two.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I think I'll be sitting this tournament out. I have a level 25 The Hood, an Iron Man 40 that I could level up to about 25 or whatever, and a bunch of One Cover Wonders.

I got a Ragnarok on my first day playing the game, when I spent some coins on a Heroic cover before realizing cover space was better. I still haven't found a 2nd Ragnarok cover though...

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 18, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Holy poo poo, I hadn't looked at the prize structure till just now but whomever said "rich getting richer" earlier was dead on. Spider-Man covers galore for the top 25 (all likely running Spiderman/Ragnarok), while the scrubs get Juggernaut covers and Dakens. If you're really lucky you can grind your way up to a Red Captain America cover you'll never use.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I tried using my 3* team of Grey Widow, Iron Man M40, and Doom. Every match takes loving forever and really not worth it.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
What in the actual fu--

three star tourney screenshot:

Thor's been upgraded to rare, folks! :O

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

0 point dudes havent played yet so they've got their last event team in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

SynthOrange posted:

0 point dudes havent played yet so they've got their last event team in place.

Pretty much all of the 0 point dudes I've played against just have a random selection of 1-cover wonders from their collection. I've been cripple fighting a bunch of level 15 Loki-Doom-Grey Widow teams.